• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR News: Black/Latino Families Have Half The Wealth Of White Single Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean he can use this thread as his anecdotal piece and his point would be even more valid?

You implied African Americans being spoiled and then claimed how African Americans should be thankful to America using your experience as an African as a reference point, instead of one as an American who's countries greatness and wealth was helped created off the backs of African Americans, and who's current form of equality was created through the long struggles, fights, and deaths of African Americans but who have far less to show for it relative to White Americans.

No, if anybody should be thankful to America, It's YOU.

Quit projecting.

You implied African Americans being spoiled and then claimed how African Americans should be thankful to America using your experience as an African as a reference point, instead of one as an American who's countries greatness and wealth was helped created off the backs of African Americans, and who's current form of equality was created through the long struggles, fights, and deaths of African Americans but who have far less to show for it relative to White Americans.

No, if anybody should be thankful, It's YOU.

I am grateful. I'm grateful to them, grateful to my parents from leaving the homeland and scraping to come here. I don't try to piggyback on their struggle like Deep Water, but I'm one-generation removed from it and am vividly influenced by it, which is more than I can say for the clowns who're bitter that we didn't arrive at the ports treating them like princes off of what their grandfathers and great great grandfathers have done.

Edit: But don't let anyone tell you I'm not thankful to them. And as an immigrant who's lived most of his life here, I'm proud to represent a group that's actually fulfilling the dreams and prophecy of those Civil Rights leaders.

I am grateful. I'm grateful to them, grateful to my parents from leaving the homeland and scraping to come here. I don't try to piggyback on their struggle like Deep Water, but I'm one-generation removed from it and am vividly influenced by it, which is more than I can say for the clowns who're bitter that we didn't arrive at the ports treating them like princes off of what their grandfathers and great great grandfathers have done.

Quit creating strawman arguments. I don't think any African American thinks African immigrants should treat them like "princes off of what their grandfathers and great great grandfathers have done." and if any do, then they're stupid.

What we will take offense too is an African immigrant calling African Americans spoiled and that THEY should be thankful to AMERICA.

It's one thing if YOU feel thankful to America due to your non-American experience beforehand, however, don't project those feelings upon us when our experience, history, and expectations as AMERICANS are completely different.

Deepwater

I don't know how you managed to make this a personal thing about me when I never even went so far to do the same to you. I don't know you. All I could assume is that you were African. Which is why I made clear to attack the idea, rather than you. But clearly this is something you hold near and dear to your heart, which is why the same wasn't afforded to me.

When you can pull the receipts on when I asked you to pay deference to me, I'll be there. I consistently was saying that African Immigrants succeed off the backs of Black Americans who struggled before they came here. My parents and my grandparents were a part of the civil rights movement. My success is because of them and what they did. Although I recognize that many Black Americans are still struggling because of institutionalized racism like the article presented by the OP. I am the exception to the rule that goes for many of us.

That shit was barely 50 years ago. Many of those people are still alive. Don't try to portray it as something that happened generations ago. That shit is fresh and young. All I ask is that for African Immigrants with that aforementioned mindset pick up a fucking book and check their damn privilege. Dassit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well no shit. Any minority living in America could have told you this.

It's frustrating when you're a minority busting your ass every day just to eke out a living, and it still not being enough. Story of my life since birth. Story of my family's life period.

College educations, degrees, and a just DAMN fine demeanor hasn't done shit for my family. Being black in America is soul crushing. The sad thing is that I'd be happy with a $50k a year job. I'd actually be living pretty comfortably on that. Now I'm just hoping I can land any job at this point. Part time? Minimum wage? I don't care, I just need income after my job of 5 and a half years had to close its doors. I'd go back to school but I can't afford the debt. Fuck this thread has depressed me now.

And there it is: "You and your spoiled friends"

If this guy caught shade from AAs, how much of that animosity did he speak into existence? I can feel the spite and contempt from him pouring off his words.
Also, the implication that the Civil Rights struggle hasnt been ongoing from the 50s and 60s is ignorant as hell. What was won in the 60s has been under perpetual attack.

Well the point was at the The Last Wizard anyway.
But lightskintwin responded with what I was referring to, a way for African Americans to come together and build their communities up. Not saying they would exclude Africans from said benefits, as that would be asinine in my opinion.
Plus I don't nor should anyone trust the us government to make good on any of the shit they've done to African Americans.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
An old friend's grandpa passed away and left him with 200k and a paid off house. He used that money to pay off his entire mortgage and student loans, then rented out the inherited house. My grandpa passed away and all he had was a life insurance policy for 5k, which as you can guess didn't cover all the costs. That's when my eyes were opened on how much past injustices affect future generations.

That is so true.

My wife is white, and her family owns a shit ton of acres farmland in Iowa. When aunts and uncles pass away, she usually ends up getting a few grand from the estates and wills. Her mother passed away a few years back, and my sister-in-law is in the process of selling the farmland, which is split between the three daughters. All of this is fucking crazy to me. I've never owned land in my life. I maybe had a great grandmother and grand father that owned a farm down south, but they sold it ages ago to move to the city because of declining health.

A lot of my write friends and family have family that inherited land from their forefathers, and it gives them a huge leg up. We thought about moving to Iowa and building a house on the land, but at the time, it wasn't the best idea. It makes me sad that so many minority families in America never got the chance. Or when they did have the means to build wealth, the community was burned to the ground by racists.

R0ckman

Yeah, I have to say that its really screwed up. I've seen and I have heard a lot of things in the workforce. TONS of situations with whites in positions via connections who do not qualify at all and just BS their way through it, while my people struggle to get crumbs that fall off the table.

That is to say that I more so hate the system more than anything. I'm thankful my experience in the workforce has been great among all peoples.

But lightskintwin responded with what I was referring to, a way for African Americans to come together and build their communities up. Not saying they would exclude Africans from said benefits, as that would be asinine in my opinion.
Plus I don't nor should anyone trust the us government to make good on any of the shit they've done to African Americans.

I understood your initial point. You suspected people would try to sabotage any efforts by Afro-Americans to build their communities. Just as they've done in the past. I'd say don't let past attempts stop present day efforts. Or even possible present day attempts. Hell, some of the people trying to sabotage those efforts might be other Afro-Americans. But again, even then, i'd say don't let that stop you.

The government doesn't have to be involved with the process much if at all.

I understood your initial point. You suspected people would try to sabatoge any efforts by Afro-Americans to build their communities. Just as they've done in the past. I'd say don't let past attempts stop present day efforts. Or even possible present day attempts. Hell, some of the people trying to sabatoge those efforts might be other Afro-Americans. But again, even then, i'd say don't let that stop you.

Oh, I'm all for doing it as if you don't try it won't get better for a fact whereas trying at least gives the possibility of a better situation.

Yeah, he snuck that in with his edit.

I understood your initial point. You suspected people would try to sabatoge any efforts by Afro-Americans to build their communities. Just as they've done in the past. I'd say don't let past attempts stop present day efforts. Or even possible present day attempts. Hell, some of the people trying to sabatoge those efforts might be other Afro-Americans. But again, even then, i'd say don't let that stop you.

Are you from America? Everybody is out for self now.

hypernima

Banned

Edit: But don't let anyone tell you I'm not thankful to them. And as an immigrant who's lived most of his life here, I'm proud to represent a group that's actually fulfilling the dreams and prophecy of those Civil Rights leaders.

r u serious?

And as an immigrant who's lived most of his life here, I'm proud to represent a group that's actually fulfilling the dreams and prophecy of those Civil Rights leaders.

So I'm going to address the context of this edit, to assume I'm not reading you wrong.

Given the "actually fulfilling" section, who do you feel is not fulfilling the dreams and prophecies of Civil Rights leaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom