• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRA official sets stage for annual convention: we are engaged in a "culture war"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite possible. It would take much more than anything that the US government will do to the 2nd amendment in the next 10 years.

Of course. The idea of an actual revolution because the government wants to pass background checks or ban specific firearms is ludicrous. But by the same token I can't just ignore a nonsensical argument even if its coming from the right "side".

A lot of people are in the military for the paycheck and supporting their families. Joining some fantasy rebellion, literally, negates ALL of their benefits.

It wouldn't be worth it for only the most diehard supporters

Don't only think about individual soldiers defecting. Armies can and have fragmented during civil wars, historically, with some parts going one way and some parts going others. You will often see sides get picked on a regional level, with the soldiers stationed in one area picking sides as a discreet unit. It's not so simple as "the federal government pays me, therefore I am 100% loyal to them". It's definitely possible for a revolutionary movement of some kind to gain traction in a nations armed forces. I mean, its also possible that an army could predominantly side with a revolution.

Sye d'Burns

That kind of rhetoric is dangerous as fuck.

"Stand up for America."

Against who asshole?

I'm not particularly for gun control but I do have to have to concede that I found this disconcerting.

1Li6f6z.gif

I'm sorry. I couldn't find a larger copy.

http://www.4president.org/brochures/wallace1968brochure.htm

---

edit: Sure. I'm sure almost any phrase could be linked to a position contrary to one's held beliefs. However, in this day and age, with the assistance of a simple google search, it should be much more rare than it is.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is that army made of foreign mercenaries who don't have friends and families among those would be revolutionaries ?

No ? Than how can you be so sure some of the soldiers wouldn't decide to fight on the other side?
Let's play pretend and say... half of the members of the US armed forces joined this revolution. Which side do you think is going to win? A bunch of guys with handguns and semi autos, or the guys with tanks, jet fighters, drones, machine guns, and a bunch of other high artillery? Not to mention a very advanced communications and support system. This is not a numbers game.

Mr Swine

Banned
Let's play pretend and say... half of the members of the US armed forces joined this revolution. Which side do you think is going to win? A bunch of guys with handguns and semi autos, or the guys with tanks, jet fighters, drones, machine guns, and a bunch of other high artillery? Not to mention a very advanced communications and support system. This is not a numbers game.

The one fighting for freedom always win! Right.. Right? :(

Sye d'Burns

Let's overlook virtually every coup that's taken place throughout history and speculate that this is the first time participants don't abscond with or initiate the seizure of some of the heavier armaments.

HyperionX

Let's overlook virtually every coup that's taken place throughout history and speculate that this is the first time participants don't abscond with or initiate the seizure of some of the heavier armaments.

Then it would be a civil war dominated almost exclusively by heavy armaments. The guns themselves did nothing.

Dead Man

And after they abscond with them, then what? Can you refuel and rearm your M1 at Texaco? Have your F22 take off from the highway? Used up your LAW? Too bad if you need another, unless someone else absconds with one. Without infrastructure, most of the heavy gear is useless.

Someone explain the "don't tread on me" with the snake paraphernalia please.

Also, what's with the green guy? I get Osama (as offensive as it is), I assume the one on the far right is a Nazi/SS Soldier...is the green guy supposed to be an alien?

Dead Man

Someone explain the "don't tread on me" with the snake paraphernalia please.

Also, what's with the green guy? I get Osama (as offensive as it is), I assume the one on the far right is a Nazi/SS Soldier...is the green guy supposed to be an alien?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag

It's a redneck thing. They seem to be proud to bite you on the ankle.

Edit: The three figures are zombie targets, I think those ones bleed when shot or something. Zombie preparedness is very popular apparently.

Sye d'Burns

And after they abscond with them, then what? Can you refuel and rearm your M1 at Texaco? Have your F22 take off from the highway? Used up your LAW? Too bad if you need another, unless someone else absconds with one. Without infrastructure, most of the heavy gear is useless.

Yeah, surely they're too stupid to take off with an F22. Imagine the surprise when they figure out the forget they had no place to park it. Dumb hicks, serves em right it does! I hope they wore a parachute...

I suggest you look back at the outbreak of the US Civil War. It wasn't just one or two soldiers here or there that defected.

Scrabble

How the fuck can these people be so paranoid that the government's going to come in and take their guns? We couldn't even pass background checks preventing criminals and terrorist suspects from owning a gun.

Dead Man

Yeah, surely they're too stupid to take off with an F22. Imagine the surprise when they figure out the forget they had no place to park it. Dumb hicks, serves em right it does! I hope they wore a parachute...

I suggest you look back at the outbreak of the US Civil War. It wasn't just one or two soldiers here or there that defected.

You are making a habit of misrepresenting what people have said, aren't you?

If you read upthread I already said that you could get a meaningful military rebellion. I also said the 2nd won't be the cause. I also said that unless you get the large scale rebellion, crewed weapons, heavy weapons etc won't be that useful.

Civil war, LOL. Yeah, all those import restrictions, all those preciseley manufactured items needed to stay resupplied. Also, half the states in the country supporting a rebellion is a far cry from what most people are talking about.

But hey, if you do find a way to manufacture TOW missiles, let me know.

Sye d'Burns

You are making a habit of misrepresenting what people have said, aren't you?

If you read upthread I already said that you could get a meaningful military rebellion. I also said the 2nd won't be the cause. I also said that unless you get the large scale rebellion, crewed weapons, heavy weapons etc won't be that useful.

Civil war, LOL. Yeah, all those import restrictions, all those preciseley manufactured items needed to stay resupplied. Also, half the states in the country supporting a rebellion is a far cry from what most people are talking about.

But hey, if you do find a way to manufacture TOW missiles, let me know.

So basically you said what was plainly obvious when I responded that other poster. If you've got a beef with me, leave it in the other thread.

Mung

A lot of people outside the US find these guys to essentially be psychopaths. These guys are dangerous on a world wide scale, especially when they have power (like Bush).

If we're talking about the US, peaceful protests would be far more effective against a tyrannical government than an outright armed rebellion.

Dead Man

So basically you said what was plainly obvious when I responded that other poster. If you've got a beef with me, leave it in the other thread.

I was only referring to your post in this thread. How about you quit your rubbish misrepresentations. You have no point, unless it is to attempt to imply that I was mocking some group of people with the post when I clearly was not. When I clarified, you spouted this rubbish post.

I said what was plainly obvious when you responded that other poster? That would mean your ridiculous little 'hurr durr' post was meaningless.

If you have a point, make it.

Here, I'll help you out.

1. You say: They will take the heavy weapons with them

2. I say: And they will maintain them how?

3. You say: Yeah, dumb hicks, they are so stupid right?

4. I say: That's not what I said, this is what I said (reiterates earlier post).

Now, why in the hell are you so offended by that?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As somebody who has in-laws who spout this same garbage, I have two things to say:

1) As somebody already addressed earlier in the thread, these people always come off as being absolutely obsessed with the idea of killing someone. I don't know if that's their true motive, but it comes off that way. My recommendation to them: If you're of age and desperately want to use high-powered weaponry, JOIN THE MILITARY. You'll get to do all the defending you want and you'll be properly trained to use the weaponry.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that if many of these same people were drafted into the military we'd hear an awful lot of whining and complaining and many of them not showing up.

2) I always hear these people arguing about a "revolution." My question is: against who? Who in the world are they going to fight? People in favor of gun control? It makes absolutely no sense. In a battle, are you going to just simply walk up to someone while pointing a gun at them and say, "Are you in favor of gun control?" It's insanity. It's like they're trying to wage a war against an invisible enemy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag

It's a redneck thing. They seem to be proud to bite you on the ankle.

Edit: The three figures are zombie targets, I think those ones bleed when shot or something. Zombie preparedness is very popular apparently.

Thanks. surprising that it has a somewhat of a rich history. Thought it was just something thrown together because it looked cool or something.

Hah, I thought it might be zombies but decided that aliens was probably the safer bet.

Sye d'Burns

I was only referring to your post in this thread. How about you quit your rubbish misrepresentations. You have no point, unless it is to attempt to imply that I was mocking some group of people with the post when I clearly was not. When I clarified, you spouted this rubbish post.

I said what was plainly obvious when you responded that other poster? That would mean your ridiculous little 'hurr durr' post was meaningless.

If you have a point, make it.

Here, I'll help you out.

1. You say: They will take the heavy weapons with them

2. I say: And they will maintain them how?

3. You say: Yeah, dumb hicks, they are so stupid right?

4. I say: That's not what I said, this is what I said (reiterates earlier post).

Now, why in the hell are you so offended by that?

You again feign ignorance. It's ludicrous to say they would run off with anything without the ability to fuel or park the darn things. I presumed a certain level of intellect when I made my post. I didn't count on you showing up asking me to lower the bar.

If you look at recent coups and revolutions, how many of them took place without substantial military backing or outside intervention? If these two conditions do not materialize, any coup or armed revolution in a country as militarily advanced as the US is doomed from the start.

But hey, if you can think of one, I'll concede that armed rednecks can take over the US with "pistols and semi autos." If not, I'll say I was wrong.

Otherwise, you're just misconstruing what I said from the outset. I'd rather you focused your attentions on making your own arguments and less on making mine.

Dead Man

You again feign ignorance. It's ludicrous to say they would run off with anything without the ability to fuel or park the darn things. I presumed a certain level of intellect when I made my post. I didn't count on you showing up asking me to lower the bar.

If you look at recent coups and revolutions, how many of them took place without substantial military backing or outside intervention? If these two conditions do not materialize, any coup or armed revolution in a country as militarily advanced as the US is doomed from the start.

But hey, if you can think of one, I'll concede that armed rednecks can take over the US with "pistols and semi autos." If not, I'll say I was wrong.

Otherwise, you're just misconstruing what I said from the outset. I'd rather you focused your attentions on making your own arguments and less on making mine.

Yeah, okay, have fun using that as a defense of herp a derp posts. You are trying to suggest that a set of assumptions is to be considered the base from which to discuss this, while most posts don't seem to assume those things. But okay, you are the voice of reason in the thread.

Have fun.

Sye d'Burns

Yeah, okay, have fun using that as a defense of herp a derp posts. You are trying to suggest that a set of assumptions is to be considered the base from which to discuss this, while most posts don't seem to assume those things. But okay, you are the voice of reason in the thread.

Have fun.

What are you saying? I can't think of a way to put it in plainer terms for you. Without the intervention of some outside (mighty) power or without substantial military defections (it should be a given these defections wouldn't consist solely of bodies) the entire revolution or coup or whatever you may call it would be doomed from the start.

Barring that illiteracy thing, how are you managing to actually argue with me about this?

JCizzle

Government does the same thing - its how they manage to decrease freedom and increase government control.

Social Security because "you're too stupid to save for retirement - we will do it for you".

How's that going? Both sides play that silly game and its quite apparent the government has done a good job with indoctrination since most people here are completely blind to the epic dumb-fuckery the government (any) does to their people.

Social security was meant to be not only a safety net, but part of a three pronged retirement saving strategy along with pensions and investments. How is the private sector doing with those pensions today? Holding up their end more than the government is with social security? Or have they basically eliminated pensions due to horrible executive management across pretty much every sector?

Social security was meant to be not only a safety net, but part of a three pronged retirement saving strategy along with pensions and investments. How is the private sector doing with those pensions today? Holding up their end more than the government is with social security? Or have they basically eliminated pensions due to horrible executive management across pretty much every sector?

Don't forget shitty 401Ks. The average of which holds about only $30,000.

Dead Man

What are you saying? I can't think of a way to put it in plainer terms for you. Without the intervention of some outside (mighty) power or without substantial military defections (it should be a given these defections wouldn't consist solely of bodies) the entire revolution or coup or whatever you may call it would be doomed from the start.

Barring that illiteracy thing, how are you managing to actually argue with me about this?

That is far from your original post, but it is pretty much what I was saying. :/ Nice call on the illiteracy insult again. Keep it up.

If you included those statements and assumptions anywhere in this thread, you wouldn't have looked such a fool. Instead you launched into a weird antagonistic post about military memebrs absconding, with no other information provided about what you thought that would entail. Assumptions. Turns out if you don't tell people what you are assuming, you look a twat.

Is that army made of foreign mercenaries who don't have friends and families among those would be revolutionaries ?

No ? Than how can you be so sure some of the soldiers wouldn't decide to fight on the other side?

Well then, if the U.S. military isnt going to attack you on orders then you dont even need guns to defend yourself from them in the first place.

Sye d'Burns

That is far from your original post, but it is pretty much what I was saying. :/ Nice call on the illiteracy insult again. Keep it up.

If you included those statements and assumptions anywhere in this thread, you wouldn't have looked such a fool. Instead you launched into a weird antagonistic post about military memebrs absconding, with no other information provided about what you thought that would entail. Assumptions. Turns out if you don't tell people what you are assuming, you look a twat.

Gees man, lay off.

You know what though, you're right. I'm the fool for dismissing your original post out of hand.

All I was saying to the poster was that it wouldn't happen without significant military assets. I hadn't considered the idea of base or fort seizure as a historically novel idea. Thanks to you, I now realize I should have included that in my original post alongside the seizure of armaments.

Going on, I didn't think I would have *had* to make those "statements and assumptions" because I had taken it for a given that any thinking person would have already considered them.

Thanks to you and your decided notion that every aspect must be spelled out and not left to the common sense of the reader, I now realize that I should have mentioned other coups and revolutions (also necessitating bringing in discussions of outside interventions relevant to other coups or revolutions, which again should be considered obvious) from the outset.

I apologize that I didn't see the need to add them until I had to lower the bar for you so you would be intellectually tall enough to get on the ride.

Dead Man

Gees man, lay off.

You know what though, you're right. I'm the fool for dismissing your original post out of hand.

All I was saying to the poster was that it wouldn't happen without significant military assets. I hadn't considered the idea of base or fort seizure as a historically novel idea. Thanks to you, I now realize I should have included that in my original post alongside the seizure of armaments.

Going on, I didn't think I would have *had* to make those "statements and assumptions" because I had taken it for a given that any thinking person would have already considered them.

Thanks to you and your decided notion that every aspect must be spelled out and not left to the common sense of the reader, I now realize that I should have mentioned other coups and revolutions (also necessitating bringing in discussions of outside interventions relevant to other coups or revolutions, which again should be considered obvious) from the outset.

I apologize that I didn't see the need to add them until I had to lower the bar for you so you would be intellectually tall enough to get on the ride.

Very finely crafted insults there, glad I was worth taking the time for.

Sye d'Burns

Very finely crafted insults there, glad I was worth taking the time for.

Thank you.

I feel that common barbs like fool and posts filled more with snark about Texacos and highways than substance are so passé. I'm glad you recognized the craftsmanship and I assure it you was worth the time I took to spend with you.

As I said previously,

Have a nice day. :)

Dead Man

Thank you.

I feel that common barbs like fool and posts filled more with snark about Texacos and highways than substance are so passé. I'm glad you recognized the craftsmanship and I assure it you was worth the time I took to spend with you.

As I said previously,

Have a nice day. :)

Fool.

Edit: Never mind.

Edit2: Nah, fuck it. You are not half as clever as you think you are, but since you enjoy trying to belittle other peoples intelligence, have this. You really think that it is reasonable to make very broad asumptions that are obviously not shared by the people in the thread and then act as if you are being unreasonably assaulted when called out on your bullshit? Nah man, you are a sad little person, who rapidly (and effectively) retreated from your initial position when called on it.

You cannot hope for anyone to believce that you only meant successful coups (which are not the same as civil wars ore popular rebellions by the way) and that you also were only discussing it in terms of massive support from an external government.

Truly you are reaching if you think that.

Your post was ignorant and quite useless if you meant to say something like:

You should really work on your communication skills, becuase at the moment, they are filled with finely crafted senetnces of meaningless shite.

But hey, it's all okay if I say have a nice day and include a smiley face, right? :)

Sye d'Burns

Fool.

Edit: Never mind.

Edit2: Nah, fuck it.

---

*I'm not about to retread my shoes for another go at walking through your manure filled pastures"

---

You should really work on your communication skills, becuase at the moment, they are filled with finely crafted senetnces of meaningless shite.

But hey, it's all okay if I say have a nice day and include a smiley face, right? :)

Yeah, I think saying having a nice day is better than saying "you look like a twat," even if the sentiment behind the two phrases is the same.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is there an organization that is the direct contrast of the NRA? If not their needs to be. Those of us that don't agree with the NRA should make sure that there is and donate our money to have a strong lobby.

Put me down for a 200 donation.

Chichikov

Is there an organization that is the direct contrast of the NRA? If not their needs to be. Those of us that don't agree with the NRA should make sure that there is and donate our money to have a strong lobby.

Put me down for a 200 donation.
The Brady Campaign is the closest thing we got
I've been to an NRA convention/banquet before. Was pretty nice and enjoyable.
I've been to a gun show in this country and it was a pretty pleasant experience.
The problem I have with gun shows is not that they aren't nice, but that terrorists and criminals can buy weapons there with impunity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pretty much what I expected. Gun control is going to be the conservative rallying cry that health care reform was in 2010.

I'm sure it will be just as racist, self-defeating and cognitively dissonant as the death panels, but with a soupcon more threatening people and government with guns.

A lot of people outside the US find these guys to essentially be psychopaths. These guys are dangerous on a world wide scale, especially when they have power (like Bush).

A lot of us IN the US find these guys to be psychopaths. Gun people are fucking scary, scary people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom