• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRS reveals Cyborg/Nightwing for Injustice Gods Among Us (maybe more at Comic-Con)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really don't think they added Harley for gender because they literally have hundreds of girls to choose from who are very capable fighters. Both she and Joker are here for popularity. Also Harley can make for a character who goes past comic relief as well. As all characters, no matter how popular, it comes down to the ability of the writer and sometimes the ability of the artist.

I think we are more likely to get Deathstroke than Red Hood. I feel like they would ultimately fight the same or at the very least use the same weapons.

Maybe, but Deathstroke oftentimes uses a blade, while Red Hood is usually dual-wielding pistols. I sort of imagine Red Hood playing like dual-wielding Dante in Devil May Cry, being able to juggle opponents with gunshots. It's awesome in my head.

I feel Deathstroke is likely too, I just hope Red Hood makes the cut as well. Hopefully the popularity of Under the Red Hood has made him more likely a candidate.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Please no Red Hood. Awful character who's been bad no matter who writes him. If you want a guns guy who's actually cool, put Hush in

Kizer

Very good, I prefer it over all the other current cartoons. The CGI is kinda plain but you get used to it after an episode or two.

Hopefully red robin is an alt for nightwing, maybe even red hood, though move wise that would make little sense, but he looks cool.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure harley got in because she was going to be DLC for MK vs DC but midway died and they were never allowed to release it.

Really? My favorite dc cartoon right now is Young Justice. I really like how they are going about the show in season 2 now.

Kinda unrelated, but Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes was amazing as well. I wish Loeb would just go back to DC and stop trying to ruin Marvel.

Maybe, but Deathstroke oftentimes uses a blade, while Red Hood is usually dual-wielding pistols. I sort of imagine Red Hood playing like dual-wielding Dante in Devil May Cry, being able to juggle opponents with gunshots. It's awesome in my head.

Remember that Dante also used a sword (Rebellion, I think it's name was?), though. In fact he used a huge amount of weapons. If it makes you feel any better, they showed that Harley is capable of juggling opponents with her gun shots for a little bit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Please no Red Hood. Awful character who's been bad no matter who writes him. If you want a guns guy who's actually cool, put Hush in

Meh, Red Hood is great, his movie was great, his stint on B&R 2009 was great.

I can't see Hush in a fighting game, not the same way I can imagine Red Hood.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think the subtitle has a deeper meaning we just don't know what it is yet(
I think they've all been given the power of gods
).

Or it could just be the fact that DC Comics heroes are often considered a modern mythical pantheon.

Wait, how is Hush better than Red Hood? They're both awful characters.

Khezu

Really? My favorite dc cartoon right now is Young Justice. I really like how they are going about the show in season 2 now.

Kinda unrelated, but Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes was amazing as well. I wish Loeb would just go back to DC and stop trying to ruin Marvel.

Avengers was a close second, but ya, loeb and all that. YJ is good, but the slow and kinda crappy beginning, and the random time jump just when it was getting good bring it down a little. Korra is... well, disappointing is the most positive thing I can say about that.

Speaking of YJ, I really wanted Aqualad from the show to be in this game, dude is straight amazing, and he has more interesting powers then his grown up counterpart. Sadly that's probably not happening, especially with cyborg in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Remember that Dante also used a sword (Rebellion, I think it's name was?), though. In fact he used a huge amount of weapons. If it makes you feel any better, they showed that Harley is capable of juggling opponents with her gun shots for a little bit.

Cool, at least the game supports it. If Red Hood is in that's almost definitely going to be in his movelist then. Excite!

Kizer

Avengers was a close second, but ya, loeb and all that. YJ is good, but the slow and kinda crappy beginning, and the random time jump just when it was getting good bring it down a little. Korra is... well, disappointing is the most positive thing I can say about that.

Speaking of YJ, I really wanted Aqualad from the show to be in this game, dude is straight amazing, and he has more interesting powers then his grown up counterpart. Sadly that's probably not happening, especially with cyborg in.

Stick with Young Justice. I am kinda happy they did the timeskip because we got a lot of cool characters and situations out of it.

I don't wanna talk about Korra. I just want to say that I knew this was gonna happen and I made sure my friends who happen to be Avatar fans never heard the end of it because they did not believe me.

I am all for Beast boy and/or Blue Beetle showing up in this game as well.
Both are now members of Young Justice by season 2.

Gartooth

I hope NRS have enough appreciation for the DC Universe as a whole that they keep the Batman characters at a minimum. (insanely popular, got to satisfy the legions of Bat fans yadda yadda)

Edit: Gotta chime in and say I love Young Justice. It starts slow with the first 10 or so episodes in season 1, but after that the ball gets rolling fast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like YJ as much as the next guy, but Black Manta would be a better choice than his son. It gets a villain representative that's not from Batman, and honestly, Aqualad has way too many powers. He's almost as variable as Superman and would make Aquaman continue to look like a joke.

I also nominate Gorilla Grodd for awesomeness. And while I don't want too many Batman characters, Clayface would be REALLY fun in a fighting game setting.

I hope NRS have enough appreciation for the DC Universe as a whole that they keep the Batman characters at a minimum. (insanely popular, got to satisfy the legions of Bat fans yadda yadda)

Edit: Gotta chime in and say I love Young Justice. It starts slow with the first 10 or so episodes in season 1, but after that the ball gets rolling fast.

They should just make a separate game with just Batman characters,they have more than enough, probably sell better than a full DC game.

Khezu

They should just make a separate game with just Batman characters,they have more than enough, probably sell better than a full DC game.

Batman
Nightwing
Red hood
Red robin
Robin damien
Spoiler
Bat girl babs
Batwoman
Huntress
Cat woman
Green lantern batman
Russian martian batman
Ace the bat hound

Killer moth
Talia
Mr freeze
Scarecrow
Joker
harley
Killer croc
Bane
Poison ivy
Deadshot
Black mask
clayface
Man bat

Id buy it.

pulga

Banned
Hope the more niche heroes of the DCU make it in, would kill for Constantine, Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nightwing GIFs

iRgDYOEMIHdvx.gif

iF7ltScxQMca7.gif

iyoMzIqygvfhM.gif

ibzLOzVg3JyfaT.gif

idpKk6Oc343iN.gif

shaowebb

Harley vs Flash being played by Harley and Deadpool....

Harley is a weird character, I have no idea how she's supposed to play, and her gimmick looks almost completely useless.

Is she getting a boost or something off her gimmick tool? I can't really tell whats going on with that kissing a picture thing she does. She looks like a trap character maaaaaaaaaybe. I've never seen anyone like her. She's got these weird recovery times on moves and she throws a lot of traps on the ground and stuff in the air, but its all slow. No clue how to use her, but I kinda suspect shes gonna have a lot of resets due to ground bombs...I just don't see how she's supposed to do much. Is her cartwheel like Captain Americas? If so she's a mixup beast. Set bomb, cartwheel through stuff behind opponent, apply pressure into the bomb to open them up. If the cartwheel doesn't go behind she might just be a throw reset character, but with guys like Grundy and Superman that'd be sorta setting her up to be passed over for either of those two for that gameplan.

I'm honestly not certain of anything with her other than her stuff doesn't look safe. Maybe that cartwheel or a dodge of some sort is the key to her game. She might be one of the few in the game with an air dash but they never checked for it. That or a reflect move... Gonna need more footage to figure her out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BTW I've been meaning to ask, is that the OMAC Project logo in Metropolis? That's what it kinda looks like to me.

Puts Superman's "I trusted you...!" at the beginning of the Comiccon trailer into more context. Is he saying that to Batman?

Khezu

Her cartwheel looks similar to sonyas, which was a fast advancing special with armor that poped up(which is overpowered IMO but w/e), though she already has a pretty good popup with that hammer, so I don't know.

She has two really good normals, the one where she punches both fists in the air, she AA's flash with it. The other which I think is a normal, is the gunshot when she is ducking, it hits fast, has great range, and is a sweep.
One of her combo strings was interesting, it looks like it puts the opponent into a dizzy state for about a second or two, not sure if it lasts long enough to hit confirm into something though.

She also has an anti air gunshot.

Hopefully this game shows up at MLG, so people who actually know what there doing can play it.

Alfredo

I'd start a new thread for this, but apparently I'm not allowed to, so:

Injustice: NetherRealm to Accommodate EVO Players w/ Possible "Traditional Stage"

Ed Boon said:
"I think anytime you do something as, I guess, bold or out of the box as that, you're going to have people that question it," Boon said. "Especially, how does that come into play in a tournament situation? If you play in the Batcave, you have a different strategy than if you play in the Fortress of Solitude. My guess is we will certainly offer at least one stage that is traditional, because you never know what's going to be banned in tournaments. We're definitely aware of the EVO guys and we're going to put things in the game to accommodate them with a more stripped down version."

shaowebb

I'd start a new thread for this, but apparently I'm not allowed to, so:

Injustice: NetherRealm to Accommodate EVO Players w/ Possible "Traditional Stage"

There's more in this interview I did with Ed Boon.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/17/3159808/injustice-gods-among-us-interview-ed-boon

JUST FYI AND STUFF

I'm happy that they are considering tournament play. Now all we need is a reasonable button check system and it's golden!

WOOOOOOO!
This pleases me a lot. Sooooooo many Smash bros folks will only choose a vanilla stage with no gimmicks to play because purist play is a part of top player's pride. Having a traditional stage handy for folks to duke it out in is BIG as it means it opens the game up to both sides who may or may not want stage hazards. Now you can say both are catered to enough that it doesn't divide them to the point of splitting your market for this game.

THANK YOU NRS FOR LISTENING!

I wouldn't be too generous with the praise just yet as they said they were considering tournament players last time and MK9 was still riddled with glitches and problems with the core gameplay for competitive folks. Still, I'm excited because Grayson as Nightwing is one of my favorite DC heroes. If we get some JSA regulars in the cast then I'd be in heaven.

shaowebb

I wouldn't be too generous with the praise just yet as they said they were considering tournament players last time and MK9 was still riddled with glitches and problems with the core gameplay for competitive folks. Still, I'm excited because Grayson as Nightwing is one of my favorite DC heroes. If we get some JSA regulars in the cast then I'd be in heaven.

Needs some Dr Fate. You put on the helmet and the dude steals your body and is a Lord of Order who deems his existence as more needed than your freedom. Once he enters a realm he enters until you turn to dust. I love this dynamic to the hero. He's like a demon who possesses someone and steals their form never relinquishing to them their life. Of course you need him but you sacrifice everything to get him.

Dr Strange wishes he was this cool.

Plus that VOICE.

x8ehX.png

TreIII

"No Hazards. Flash Only. Final Desti-" *SHOT*

But seriously, at least it looks like their hearts are in the right place. Here's hoping for the best as we continue to watch and wait.

But seriously, at least it looks like their hearts are in the right place. Here's hoping for the best as we continue to watch and wait.

That's the thing. Their hearts are always in the right place IMO. I love the MK series in that it's just a big tribute born of Boon and Co's love of 80's action flicks, comic books, horror and martial arts films and everything else they grew up loving. They've managed to mix that all together into one of the only coherent fighting game plots in the world with its own unique style and tone.

I just hope (and I hope for it every game) they make a competitive fighting game that doesn't have embarrassing quirks and mechanics for tourney players. They make bank almost every occasion they release a new MK, sometimes outselling the more "accepted" tourney games even during the fighting game drought. Spending some time, effort and money to put in/take out features for the competitive scene wouldn't hurt.

Khezu

"Visually we're happy with what we have," Boon says of the dramatic Clash battles, "but in terms of exactly what moments [those happen] and what the requirements are for those to happen, that's still being decided." NetherRealm has until 2013 to finalize the mechanics of its Clash system.

That's the best news out of the article. The way the clash system is now is completely game breaking and really stupid.

Personally I don't really want a traditional stage, that just means everyone is going to choose it, and I don't see anything wrong with the stage interactions, if anything there underpowered.

However they should have an option to random select from the rematch screen, and the loser gets to choose, this way you can cut down on time, also have a mirrored version of every stage, just in case.

I would prefer a options menu option to disable the interactions and or transitions, instead of a "Final Destination". Just in case the stage interaction doesn't work out, I don't want to be stuck looking at the same backdrop on every match on streams (not that games with noninteractive stages don't end up like that too, MvC3 training stage...).

The clash system is my biggest concern as of now, so continued assurance that it is still subject to change is reassuring too.

The clash system is my biggest concern as of now, so continued assurance that it is still subject to change is reassuring too.

Yeah, the clash system is what I'm weary about the most too. The stage elements can be implemented well, and the importance of accounting for stages in gameplay has been part of the genre for years with games like Tekken and Soul Calibur (Wall Combos and Ring Outs).

Riposte

Batman
Nightwing
Red hood
Red robin
Robin damien
Spoiler
Bat girl babs
Batwoman
Huntress
Cat woman
Green lantern batman
Russian martian batman
Ace the bat hound

Killer moth
Talia
Mr freeze
Scarecrow
Joker
harley
Killer croc
Bane
Poison ivy
Deadshot
Black mask
clayface
Man bat

Id buy it.

Spoiler before Cass? Cold-blooded.

shaowebb

That's the best news out of the article. The way the clash system is now is completely game breaking and really stupid....

...The clash system is my biggest concern as of now, so continued assurance that it is still subject to change is reassuring too...

Yeah, the clash system is what I'm weary about the most too...

I think the Clash system is all of our biggest concerns right now. In its current state it does nothing to benefit the player or the flow.

• breaks combos
  • costs 2 bars to use it
  • afterwards it seperates both characters
  • you lose and you eat the combo + a percentage of additional damage
  • Its a cinematic that interrupts the match for a blind wager with no real strategy element to it so far
  • in its current state anyone rushing in with 2 bars or more has little to fear in the exchange and can likely always outbid the clash user due to meter advantage. There is no benefit to wagering less as using it at all means you gamble eating extra damage for not wagering everything.

This list of problems listed above is enough to make anyone leary of the system. The fact that Boon comes right out and states that they revealed it in its current state JUST to show off how good the cinematic is helps. The thing is its a cinematic that is attached to a bad feature and its giving the moment a negative light. It should have been withheld until it was balanced.

Currently it seems the unanimous solution most have is to just drop the system and retool breakers and meter gain for this game over adding a gambling system that feels random and that interrupts play to show off a comeback mechanic. Most comeback mechanics are instant and allow for reactionary responses from players. The moments of their activation are intense. In MVC3 they put people on the defensive and often have folks waiting out the clock and switching to runaway tactics till they run out. In MK9 breakers make players quickly try to stop inputting their muscle memory combos and start flipping to defensive responses so as not to eat the punish. In TVC folks would count your meters and after you blew 2 bars to breaker someone off you they would turn on the pressure because in that state you were vulnerable to a full combo if they could open you up. Responses to the comeback mechanic in that game were particularly aggressive...

Boon sounds like he wants to make this work, but he seemed more excited about adding more flash to the visual appeal of this game by including this mechanic too early. Thats a problem reallly since it means that time was spent on an animation that may need dropped entirely if the mechanic proves inable to balance. My guess is they wanted breakers to seperate folks more than anything, but this brings about groans to some folks who feel breakers make long combos meaningless and especially to folks who are at a disadvantage at a distance...a breaker on them means eating chip death because they lose ALL positioning to start their offense after a clash.

The system is broken and has few positives it can yield currently. Boon's team will need to spend a lot of time considering everything from how it effects meter, to how it effects damage, to how it hampers footsies and how it potentially empowers zoners. Its a long road and currently unless they announce some major change to it I feel it may need dropped entirely, fun animations or no. Better to eat the loss of time on an animation and eat the loss of those moments rather than to eat the pain of forcing in a broken mechanic for a visual effect that ruins the gameplay you've worked so hard to try and build up.

Kizer

Here is hoping that the big competitive players at least try the other stages before sticking to the final destination one. The potential in them is amazing and I am a bit afraid that people won't even give them a chance because competitive gamers know best even about things they have never tried before.

TreIII

I just hope (and I hope for it every game) they make a competitive fighting game that doesn't have embarrassing quirks and mechanics for tourney players. They make bank almost every occasion they release a new MK, sometimes outselling the more "accepted" tourney games even during the fighting game drought. Spending some time, effort and money to put in/take out features for the competitive scene wouldn't hurt.

While I agree? A lot of me still echoes my sentiments from a previous Injustice topic. In the end, no matter what kind of "concessions" Boon and his crew may make for the sake of trying to cater to the EVO/Capcom game crowd, I don't see much changing. This game will live or die based on if it finds its own following, and not so much if Capcom game players are "pleased enough" with the changes Injustice may stand to introduce. But hey, NRS is welcome to keep on trying!

Kizer said:
Here is hoping that the big competitive players at least try the other stages before sticking to the final destination one. The potential in them is amazing and I am a bit afraid that people won't even give them a chance because competitive gamers know best even about things they have never tried before.

The MK scene will likely test everything thoroughly once the game is in their hands. And with the way some competitive players are already allegedly helping NRS in house, hopefully they already got a decent start on this.

As has been said before, the way it's shaping up, it's basically like how you have to be fully away of your environment and positioning in a 3D game like Tekken or Virtua Fighter, just on a 2D playing field. As long as they keep that much in mind for current and any future stages, I don't think there's much to really worry about here.

lawful

Banned
As cliche as it sounds, I don't care about any other character in this game other than Joker. He better be badass.

Ryce

So far we've seen an equal amount of "power" and "gadget" characters, so that's probably something we might want to take into account when thinking up a plausible roster.

Power - uses strength and brute force to interact with the environment
Superman
Wonder Woman
Cyborg
Solomon Grundy

Gadget - interacts with the environment using speed and quick thinking
Batman
The Flash
Nightwing
Harley Quinn

In the end, no matter what kind of "concessions" Boon and his crew may make for the sake of trying to cater to the EVO/Capcom game crowd, I don't see much changing. This game will live or die based on if it finds its own following, and not so much if Capcom game players are "pleased enough" with the changes Injustice may stand to introduce.

This is the truth. Even the most ridiculous games like Jackie Chan FoF have found followings in the community. It doesn't matter how balanced, unbalanced, broken or fair the game is - the community will naturally decide on its fate.

I'm not suggesting that NRS just skin a SF clone with MK/DC characters. On the contrary, I like some of the unique things the last MK brought like how the meter system interacted with EX, breaker and X-Rays, and keeping the stage positions after rounds. I was referring to things like the hidden modifier of Player 1 side always winning in trades, which is embarrassing for ANY fighting game to have. Take those technical issues out that plague the fundamental foundation of the core gameplay while still experiment with things fighters haven't done or done often.

TreIII

This is the truth. Even the most ridiculous games like Jackie Chan FoF have found followings in the community. It doesn't matter how balanced, unbalanced, broken or fair the game is - the community will naturally decide on its fate.

I'm not suggesting that NRS just skin a SF clone with MK/DC characters. On the contrary, I like some of the unique things the last MK brought like how the meter system interacted with EX, breaker and X-Rays, and keeping the stage positions after rounds. I was referring to things like the hidden modifier of Player 1 side always winning in trades, which is embarrassing for ANY fighting game to have. Take those technical issues out that plague the fundamental foundation of the core gameplay while still experiment with things fighters haven't done.

Right, and I definitely do agree with that much.

I guess my thing was that a guy and I in another topic had a debate about the merits of catering to the FGC/Capcom game scene. Because guys like Tom Brady were more involved with MK9 than "FGC-approved" personalities like Mike Ross or Justin Wong, and updates relating to MK9 were (no surprise) largely hosted on sites like TestYourMight instead of Shoryuken.com, the other party argued that the game had no real visibility to the FGC. I saw it differently, considering the information was there, and from sources the MK community viewed as properly vetted.

If anything, such a thing only does more to showcase just how much of a disconnect there can be between the Capcom-oriented FGC at large, and the scenes for other fighters out there.

To be honest, I think the larger subconscious reason people (in and out of the FGC) hate on MK is that they think the games are coming at you with this EXTREME 90'S HOLY SHIT BLOOD AND GORE SO HARDCORE attitude when that's not the case at all. MK has never taken itself too seriously and always had this playful humorous tone with all its games. It has always been Big Trouble in Little China with its own personal touch.

I get how people see the Fatalities and ridiculous breast sizes of the ladies and get turned off. But there's more to MK than it gives itself credit for, and I hope someday they realize that.

If anything, such a thing only does more to showcase just how much of a disconnect there can be between the Capcom-oriented FGC at large, and the scenes for other fighters out there.

Well, I think that has more to do with FGC "celebrities" praising or ignoring games they like or dislike personally. Just look at the rise of KoF. If a Justin Wong or a Combofiend says a game is so good or that they love playing it and people see it on streams, they sheep it up instead of playing the games and deciding for themselves (I do like KoF though).

Kizer

As cliche as it sounds, I don't care about any other character in this game other than Joker. He better be badass.

I am sorry to hear that. Here is hoping that the game eventually shows you that you are wrong for taking the approach that the Joker is the only character to care about.

In any case, I am curious. Has there been any "leak lists" for this game yet? I figured that by this point there would be someone claiming that characters A, B, and C will be in.

shaowebb

I am sorry to hear that. Here is hoping that the game eventually shows you that you are wrong for taking the approach that the Joker is the only character to care about.

In any case, I am curious. Has there been any "leak lists" for this game yet? I figured that by this point there would be someone claiming that characters A, B, and C will be in.

We've had some teases from Boon for some cast and a guy who claimed to have worked at a studio that was recording lines for Cyborg, Nightwing and Raven as cast. Boon posted comic covers for Nightwing, Deathstroke, Green Arrow and I think maybe Cyborg plus he overly hinted stuff like Joker was in and a reporter cut him off so he wouldn't say something he might regret.
No hard confirms but its looking like we also got Lex Luthor and Captain Cold from that initial trailer.

That would mean (if these were all true) that on the way we could expect
  • Green Arrow
  • Deathstroke
  • Raven
  • The Joker
  • Lex Luthor
  • Captain Cold

Thats only if those were true though. Most likely we WILL see Green Arrow, Deathstroke, and The Joker though as those were Boon moments. May as well throw Luthor up there since he is visible fighting Superman in the teaser trailer. Cold is not fully confirmed but its Ice against the Flash and all of those matchups were paired with folks the heroes were known to have fought in that teaser trailer so it makes sense (especially given the beam shape is so small).

Thats your likely leak list for now. 6 characters to add to the eight we already got. Leaves about as many to speculate on afterwards if all these are true. Cross your fingers for The Ray. Visually theres no one else like Raymond Terrill for stylish effects.
Well, I think that has more to do with FGC "celebrities" praising or ignoring games they like or dislike personally. Just look at the rise of KoF. If a Justin Wong or a Combofiend says a game is so good or that they love playing it and people see it on streams, they sheep it up instead of playing the games and deciding for themselves (I do like KoF though).

Funny you mention stuff like this. There is a rumor that F. Champ is wanting to get into this game floating around on Test Your Might. No clue as to its validity, but it'd be a nice coup if the EVO UMVC3 champ wanted to start playing DC as well.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Right, and I definitely do agree with that much.

I guess my thing was that a guy and I in another topic had a debate about the merits of catering to the FGC/Capcom game scene. Because guys like Tom Brady were more involved with MK9 than "FGC-approved" personalities like Mike Ross or Justin Wong, and updates relating to MK9 were (no surprise) largely hosted on sites like TestYourMight instead of Shoryuken.com, the other party argued that the game had no real visibility to the FGC. I saw it differently, considering the information was there, and from sources the MK community viewed as properly vetted.

That'd be me. Hiya.

If the game breaks from as many MK traditions/systems as the devs say it will then yes, they absolutely need non-MK players playing and spruiking the game to the FGC--if they don't then people are just gonna assume it's more of the same, and given that most people didn't like it the first time they'll just avoid Injustice entirely.

There is a rumor that F. Champ is wanting to get into this game floating around on Test Your Might. No clue as to its validity, but it'd be a nice coup if the EVO UMVC3 champ wanted to start playing DC as well.

While on Wakeup SRK Champ said if Injustice is MLG or gets big money then him and Shady K would try to win a big pot, then drop it and move onto "real games" (like Justin and the PDP tourney). Least he's honest about it.

Khezu

That'd be me. Hiya.

If the game breaks from as many MK traditions/systems as the devs say it will then yes, they absolutely need non-MK players playing and spruiking the game to the FGC--if they don't then people are just gonna assume it's more of the same, and given that most people didn't like it the first time they'll just avoid Injustice entirely.

If those people didn't like MK, there probably not going to like Injustice. Its going to share the same niche as MK, it will probably grow a bit if they make a less glitchy and more balanced game out of the gate, and can put in a better training mode, but the FGC isn't going to play it.

Well the game is not MK with DC skins, it does share enough with the MK series that will put off capcom players, just adding back to block isn't going to change that.

Marz

If those people didn't like MK, there probably not going to like Injustice. Its going to share the same niche as MK, it will probably grow a bit if they make a less glitchy and more balanced game out of the gate, and can put in a better training mode, but the FGC isn't going to play it.

Well the game is not MK with DC skins, it does share enough with the MK series that will put off capcom players, just adding back to block isn't going to change that.

I think you're underestimating the draw of characters like Superman, Batman, Joker etc. There's a reason that Marvel is the most popular fighting game in America.....we recognize the majority of the cast. People are going to want to play as awesome DC characters and fuck shit up while having the chance to play for money. It probably won't draw most of the Street Fighter crowd but I can see Marvel players at least giving the game a fair shot for a while.

Also am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with most of the cast being Superman/Batman related? I know you guys want to see some of your obscure favorites but I think there is just far too many Supes/Bats characters that are deserving of a spot on the roster. If Solomon Grundy, Nightwing, and Harley Quinn are in already do you really think they're going to keep out:

Joker
Bane
Robin
Darkseid
Lobo
Two-Face
General Zod

Characters like DeathStroke that just are pretty much copies of their Marvel counterparts don't appeal to me at all.

sleepykyo

To be honest, I think the larger subconscious reason people (in and out of the FGC) hate on MK is that they think the games are coming at you with this EXTREME 90'S HOLY SHIT BLOOD AND GORE SO HARDCORE attitude when that's not the case at all. MK has never taken itself too seriously and always had this playful humorous tone with all its games. It has always been Big Trouble in Little China with its own personal touch.

While I'm not going to deny that is a part of it (though I felt like the first 2 MKs were pretty good relative to their time), a bigger part is the MK games are just clunky, have arbitrary command assignments, and I hate the animation. Regardless of the accuracy of mo-cap, it ends up detrimental to the flow of the match, it doesn't match with the hit/block stun and there simply isn't enough variety (>20 characters share the same jumping attack animations).

Kizer

We've had some teases from Boon for some cast and a guy who claimed to have worked at a studio that was recording lines for Cyborg, Nightwing and Raven as cast. Boon posted comic covers for Nightwing, Deathstroke, Green Arrow and I think maybe Cyborg plus he overly hinted stuff like Joker was in and a reporter cut him off so he wouldn't say something he might regret.
No hard confirms but its looking like we also got Lex Luthor and Captain Cold from that initial trailer.

That would mean (if these were all true) that on the way we could expect
  • Green Arrow
  • Deathstroke
  • Raven
  • The Joker
  • Lex Luthor
  • Captain Cold

Thats only if those were true though. Most likely we WILL see Green Arrow, Deathstroke, and The Joker though as those were Boon moments. May as well throw Luthor up there since he is visible fighting Superman in the teaser trailer. Cold is not fully confirmed but its Ice against the Flash and all of those matchups were paired with folks the heroes were known to have fought in that teaser trailer so it makes sense (especially given the beam shape is so small).

Thats your likely leak list for now. 6 characters to add to the eight we already got. Leaves about as many to speculate on afterwards if all these are true. Cross your fingers for The Ray. Visually theres no one else like Raymond Terrill for stylish effects.

Funny you mention stuff like this. There is a rumor that F. Champ is wanting to get into this game floating around on Test Your Might. No clue as to its validity, but it'd be a nice coup if the EVO UMVC3 champ wanted to start playing DC as well.
If we are talking about the comic books, he also showed a cover of Aquaman.

While on Wakeup SRK Champ said if Injustice is MLG or gets big money then him and Shady K would try to win a big pot, then drop it and move onto "real games" (like Justin and the PDP tourney). Least he's honest about it.
I really do not like Champ because of his ridiculous attitude. I am sorry, but what an asshole.

I think you're underestimating the draw of characters like Superman, Batman, Joker etc. There's a reason that Marvel is the most popular fighting game in America.....we recognize the majority of the cast. People are going to want to play as awesome DC characters and fuck shit up while having the chance to play for money. It probably won't draw most of the Street Fighter crowd but I can see Marvel players at least giving the game a fair shot for a while.

Also am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with most of the cast being Superman/Batman related? I know you guys want to see some of your obscure favorites but I think there is just far too many Supes/Bats characters that are deserving of a spot on the roster. If Solomon Grundy, Nightwing, and Harley Quinn are in already do you really think they're going to keep out:

Joker
Bane
Robin
Darkseid
Lobo
Two-Face
General Zod

Characters like DeathStroke that just are pretty much copies of their Marvel counterparts don't appeal to me at all.

I don't want this game to be flooded with Batman and Superman characters because the DCU is filled with competent and great characters. This is an ideal time to show some of them off and it would be sorely wasted by filling the roster with just batman guys. Also Grundy is not a batman character despite him showing up in
Arkham City

Top Bottom