• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NTSB: Automated speed enforcement is necessary to reduce speeding-related crashes

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
UPDATE: The full study has been released.
https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SS1701.pdf

450px-950.2.jpg

NTSB Aims to Reduce Speeding-Related Crashes
​WASHINGTON (July 25, 2017) — The National Transportation Safety Board released Tuesday the results of its safety study on reducing speeding-related passenger vehicle crashes on the nation's roads.
The NTSB found the relationship between speed and crash involvement is complex and is affected by a number of factors, however, speed – and therefore speeding – increases crash risk both in terms of the likelihood of being involved in a crash and in terms of the severity of injuries sustained by those involved in speeding-related crashes.

The study links speeding to 112,580 highway crash fatalities between 2005-2014. To put that number in perspective, nearly the same number of people – 112,948 – died in alcohol-involved crashes in the same period.

Despite this sobering statistic, speeding has few negative social consequences compared to the consequences of an arrest or conviction for driving under the influence. The study further notes that although drivers are aware that speeding is a threat to safety, they also acknowledge it is a common driving behavior in the US.

”You can't tackle our rising epidemic of roadway deaths without tackling speeding," said NTSB Acting Chairman Robert L. Sumwalt, ”and you can't tackle speeding without the most current research. Speed kills. This study examines how it kills and what actions can be taken to save lives and prevent speeding-related crashes."

Using a combination of quantitative and qualitive methods to summarize the risks of speeding, the NTSB focused on proven and emerging countermeasures that can be broadly applied to address the speeding problem but are currently underused or ineffectively used.

Based on the findings of the study the NTSB issued 19 safety recommendations: one to the US Department of Transportation, eight to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, four to the Federal Highway Administration, and one each to the Governors Highway Safety Association, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and the National Sheriffs' Association.

The NTSB also recommended action from seven states that prohibit automated speed enforcement, 28 states without automated speed enforcement laws, and 15 states with automated speed enforcement restrictions. The recommendations to the states—to remove barriers to the use of automated speed enforcement—are based on the findings that it is an effective but underused countermeasure.

The full study has not been released yet. But here is an excerpt from the synopsis.
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2017-DCA15SS002-BMG-Abstract.pdf
FINDINGS
3. Drivers report understanding that speeding is a threat to safety but acknowledge it is a common driving behavior in the United States.

4. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices guidance for setting speed limits in speed zones is based on the 85th percentile speed, but there is not strong evidence that, within a given traffic flow, the 85th percentile speed equates to the speed with the lowest crash involvement rate on all road types.

5. Unintended consequences of the reliance on using the 85th percentile speed for changing speed limits in speed zones include higher operating speeds and new, higher 85th percentile speeds in the speed zones, and an increase in operating speeds outside the speed zones.

6. Expert systems such as USLIMITS2 can improve the setting of speed limits by allowing traffic engineers to systematically incorporate crash statistics and other factors in addition to the 85th percentile speed, and to validate their engineering studies.
9. The involvement of speeding passenger vehicles in fatal crashes is underestimated.

10. The lack of consistent law enforcement reporting of speeding-related crashes hinders the effective implementation of data-driven speed enforcement programs.

11. Automated speed enforcement is an effective countermeasure to reduce speeding-related crashes, fatalities, and injuries.

12. The lack of state-level automated speed enforcement (ASE) enabling legislation, and restrictions on the use of ASE in states where legislation exists, have led to underuse of this effective speeding countermeasure.

13. Federal guidelines for automated speed enforcement (ASE) programs do not reflect the latest technologies and operating practices and are not very effective because their existence is not well known among the ASE program administrators.

14. Point-to-point speed enforcement has been shown to be an effective speeding
countermeasure internationally, but it is not currently used in the United States.

15. Intelligent speed adaptation is an effective vehicle technology to reduce speeding.
17. Traffic safety campaigns that include highly publicized, increased enforcement can be an effective speeding countermeasure, but their inconsistent and infrequent use by states hinders their effectiveness.

18. The current level of emphasis on speeding as a national traffic safety issue is lower than warranted and insufficient to achieve the goal of zero traffic fatalities in the United States.

19. Current federal-aid programs do not require or incentivize states to fund speed management activities at a level commensurate with the national impact of speeding on fatalities and injuries.

20. The US Department of Transportation (DOT) Speed Management Program Plan identifies important actions to reduce speeding-related fatalities, but the DOT has not tracked or ensured the timely implementation of these actions.

Why have we as a society decided that speeding is socially acceptable and drunk driving isn't? Is it just convenience? Raising the speed limit won't do much good if people just decide to still go over the limit. The only way to make people care about speeding is to ensure it affects them where it matters most, their wallet.

Phased

I always drive a bit under the speed limit. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in 17 years or so of driving. The accident thing is partially luck since you can't control other people, but you can minimize risk by not driving like an assholes and being attentive.

Bring on our ticketing robot overlords.

rjc571

Banned
How about they crack down on slow drivers in the left lane instead, leading to fewer risky maneuvers by drivers trying to get around them. This would reduce the number of crashes significantly more than forcing everybody to drive like an old lady.

Briarios

How about they crack down on slow drivers in the left lane instead, leading to fewer risky maneuvers by drivers trying to get around them. This would reduce the number of crashes significantly more than forcing everybody to drive like an old lady.

This. Changing lanes while speeding is significantly more dangerous. How about they start ticketing people driving below the flow of traffic in the left lane in a substantial way - that would prevent more accidents than automated ticketing.

Arthos

I always drive a bit under the speed limit. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in 17 years or so of driving. The accident thing is partially luck since you can't control other people, but you can minimize risk by not driving like an assholes and being attentive.

Bring on our ticketing robot overlords.

Same. I always try to drive at the speed limit though if it's late at night I'll go about 5 over or so.

In the time I've been driving, the biggest issue I have is others being horrible drivers. I've been almost hit a couple of times because of others being stupid such as drivers doing a U-Turn THROUGH THE TRAIN TRACKS and making me swerve my car, drivers taking red lights because there isn't anyone coming from either side, or others thinking that they have right of way just because "others do it."

I do think that until it affects someone's wallet, change won't happen, and even then...

For some, tickets just aren't enough. I have a friend who Snaps himself driving over 100 MPH on the highway or 50 in a residential area and who continues to do it even after having gotten a few tickets.

How about those who pressure others who are driving at the speed limit? The ones that make drivers move out of the way so as to not risk an accident just so that they can zig-zag across the lanes and get ahead, even from the right most lane? What can we do with those? Not disagreeing with you as what you say would help reduce the number of accidents that occur each year.

Why not both?

Because driving 80+ MPH on the highway is completely safe as long as there isn't some doofus in the left lane clogging traffic.

Oooooooor.... you could both follow the law?

Shocking idea I know. After all, it is always the OTHER guy who is not following the law who is at fault amirite?

Piggus

This would be easy. Just cite everyone with California plates.

rjc571

Banned

Shocking idea I know. After all, it is always the OTHER guy who is not following the law who is at fault amirite?

Oooooooorrrrr... you could drive at the speed you're comfortable driving and not put yourself at risk by holding up the flow of traffic? Or do you think all vehicles should be electronically limited to 60 MPH?

Briarios

Same. I always try to drive at the speed limit though if it's late at night I'll go about 5 over or so.

In the time I've been driving, the biggest issue I have is others being horrible drivers. I've been almost hit a couple of times because of others being stupid such as drivers doing a U-Turn THROUGH THE TRAIN TRACKS and making me swerve my car, drivers taking red lights because there isn't anyone coming from either side, or others thinking that they have right of way just because "others do it."

I do think that until it affects someone's wallet, change won't happen, and even then...

For some, tickets just aren't enough. I have a friend who Snaps himself driving over 100 MPH on the highway or 50 in a residential area and who continues to do it even after having gotten a few tickets.

How about those who pressure others who are driving at the speed limit? The ones that make drivers move out of the way so as to not risk an accident just so that they can zig-zag across the lanes and get ahead, even from the right most lane? What can we do with those? Not disagreeing with you as what you say would help reduce the number of accidents that occur each year.

You shouldn't be in the paint lane unless you're passing, period. It's actually against the law to be in the lane if you're not keeping with the flow of traffic. That causes many accidents because lane changing is inherently more dangerous that driving in a straight line.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1111940_nevada-begins-ticketing-left-lane-hogs

It's not an excuse for speeding, but you shouldn't block the lane for any reason.

low-G

Oooooooorrrrr... you could drive at the speed you're comfortable driving and not put yourself at risk by holding up the flow of traffic? Or do you think all vehicles should be electronically limited to 60 MPH?

Would put a lot of idiots in their place, that's for sure.

FrankCanada97

Vehicle technologies can also be effective at reducing speeding. Intelligent speed adaptation (ISA) uses an onboard global positioning system or road sign-detecting camera to determine the speed limit; it then warns drivers when they exceed the speed limit, or prevents drivers from exceeding the speed limit by electronically limiting the speed of the vehicle. Although passenger vehicle manufacturers are increasingly equipping their vehicles with technologies relevant to speeding, these technologies often are not standard features and require the purchase of certain option packages. New car safety rating systems are one effective way to incentivize the manufacture and purchase of passenger vehicles with advanced safety systems such as ISA.

The NTSB thinks it is an effective method. If everyone is limited by their car to whatever the speed limit is, this wouldn't be a problem.

This should be a nice productive thread just like all the other automotive related ones are here.

Biggest issue on the roads? More than half the people that drive should never be allowed behind the wheel in the first place. Getting a license in this country is a fucking joke and it's scary the amount of people who drive that shouldn't

AH. The BS strawman... the reliable fallback.

No one ever said that. Hell, the speed limit on freeways in my area are 80 mph. However, the morons driving 90-100 mph and putting everyone else at risk deserve no more protection that the person cruise controlling at 60 in the passing lane.

rjc571

Banned
AH. The BS strawman... the reliable fallback.

No one ever said that. Hell, the speed limit on freeways in my area are 80 mph. However, the morons driving 90-100 mph and putting everyone else at risk deserve no more protection that the person cruise controlling at 60 in the passing lane.

In my area the highway speed limits change from 55 to 70 back down to 60 and up to 65 again on a whim, yet it's equally safe to drive 80 no matter what the speed zone is. You seem to be placing way too much faith in arbitrary speed designations.

goldenpp72

Am I missing something, is it legally fine to drive over the speed limits?

The NTSB thinks it is an effective method. If everyone is limited by their car to whatever the speed limit is, this wouldn't be a problem.
Germany has permissive speed limits or no speed limit whatsoever in long stretches of highway, has a very low traffic fatality rate.
As long as drivers follow the rules and common sense, traffic is a flow and can go pretty fast. You don't want to be Canada with its stupid speed limits nobody respects.

How about both.

Or would that mean you have to drive safer than you want to?

Everyone used to think nothing of drink driving too. Doesn't mean it shouldn't have seen a crack down.

FrankCanada97

Germany has permissive speed limits or no speed limit whatsoever in long stretches of highway, has a very low traffic fatality rate.
As long as drivers follow the rules and common sense, traffic is a flow and can go pretty fast. You don't want to be Canada with its stupid speed limits nobody respects.

I don't think you intended for me to believe that every roadway in Germany is the Autobahn.

They likely have much more stringent tests and much safer vehicles. If they has as many trucks on the road as America you can bet there would be more fatal accidents.

theWB27

Something tells me this would lead to allot of frustrated drivers and people who drive slow will only drive slower...negating why the limit was placed in the first place.

rjc571

Banned
How about both.

Or would that mean you have to drive safer than you want to?

Everyone used to think nothing of drink driving too. Doesn't mean it shouldn't have seen a crack down.

Driving safe = driving with the flow of traffic, 100% of the time. If the traffic is going faster than 55 then driving 55 is not safe regardless of whether the speed limit at that spot is randomly designated to be 55.

kyser73

German driver training and obedience of other traffic laws far exceeds that of the US.

plasmasd

Why not enforce maintenance, tires and training? Most US highways can handle modern cars sustaining over 100mph safely.

pigeon

Banned
This is why we should ban private ownership of automobiles and restrict them to commercial ownership only. People who need a car can rent a self-driving car from an Uber-like service, by the journey.

Those who read PoliGAF know I'm totally serious!

Driving safe = driving with the flow of traffic, 100% of the time. If the traffic is going faster than 55 then driving 55 is not safe regardless of whether the speed limit at that spot is randomly designated to be 55.

I agree. Where you are wrong is assuming that people should speed up to match the traffic. If someone feels the need to drive slower everyone else can just chill and slow down to match.

This is why we should ban private ownership of automobiles and restrict them to commercial ownership only. People who need a car can rent a self-driving car from an Uber-like service, by the journey.

So you're saying in order to get anywhere you would need to pay? That's fucking stupid.

Because driving 80+ MPH on the highway in clear conditions is completely safe as long as there isn't some doofus in the left lane clogging traffic.

You... do realize the thread you're in, right? Have you actually read what's in the OP at all? Because right now, you're just proving the findings point quite beautifully.

Also like how you bring up the "flow of traffic" when your previous post here (the one on top) talks about speeding in "clear conditions" which have nothing at all to do with the flow of traffic but rather just doing it because you can. Nice of you to be honest about that, at least--not everyone is and instead just keeps hiding behind "flow of traffic" as long as they can. How's that even become the flow of traffic in the first place? Because people like you entirely disregard the speed limit and do what they want just because "clear conditions." Again, thanks for taking off the mask to quite easily show that "flow of traffic" really has nothing to do with anything and you'll do it regardless as long as conditions are clear. Makes this easier and I at least respect the honesty there (though not the behavior itself).

But I digress. To return to my point, you do realize what thread you in? Have you read anything? Because trying this hear seems rather disingenuous. Unless you're going to presume you're more of an expert than the NTSB and know better than them and their recommendations and findings?

Makki

German driver training and obedience of other traffic laws far exceeds that of the US.
And thats why a focus in driver training should be made and not tackle it the stupid way, by forcing people to feed money into the states via fines for speeding issued by a machine.
Educate people about flow of traffic, educate drivers via insurance discounts when completing advanced driving courses, raise speed limits to keep up with new technologies in cars and discourage further speeding or left lane hogging, and dont give breaks at the DMV for senile drivers who cant even pass a visual test (something I witness in FL when I go to renew my license).
Make cops enforce speed not based on vehicle type, gender or race and fuck automated ticket dispensers like these people want. If Im getting nailed for speeding, the system better give it to me in person to verify I was the driver not in the mail

pompidu

In my area the highway speed limits change from 55 to 70 back down to 60 and up to 65 again on a whim, yet it's equally safe to drive 80 no matter what the speed zone is. You seem to be placing way too much faith in arbitrary speed designations.

Sure, if you ignore physics.

The Lamp

We have the dumbest drivers here in Texas and virtually nobody goes the speed limit. If you're in the left lane going anything slower than 10-15 MPH over, you're going to get angry, dangerous drivers trying to snake around you. So "if you can't beat them, you have to join them" (in terms of speed), or you're going to cause more chaos in the road.

France does automatic speed ticketing. They should just implement that everywhere so that nobody goes too fast anymore.

Sounds like someone who comes from the privilege of a city with good public transportation infrastructure. In Texas, if you don't have your own car, you're FUCKED

Literally already how cars work.
Except one is individual ownership where you have the right to travel how and where you want. While the other can have various limitations and fees put upon them. Considering you need a car to get to most places, having that ownership stripped from you is crazy.

FrankCanada97

And thats why a focus in driver training should be made and not tackle it the stupid way, by forcing people to feed money into the states via fines for speeding issued by a machine.
Educate people about flow of traffic, educate drivers via insurance discounts when completing advanced driving courses, raise speed limits to keep up with new technologies in cars and discourage speeding, and dont give breaks at the DMV for senile drivers who cant even pass a visual test (something I witness in FL when I go to renew my license). Make cops enforce speed not based on vehicle type, gender or race and fuck automated ticket dispensers like these people want. If Im getting nailed for speeding, the system better give it to me in person to verify I was the driver not in the mail

Is there something inherently wrong about governments utilizing this particular revenue tool? The study found that raising speed limits just led to drivers speeding over the new limit. The main focus here is reducing the chance of fatal injuries, which occurs at a greater rate when an accident occurs at a higher speed.

The most dangerous drivers are people in the left lane who tailgate others if they think they're going too slow (even if that person is going 10 miles over the speed limit) and then once they bully that person out of the way, they speed up and tailgate the next person

The Lamp

The most dangerous drivers are people in the left lane who tailgate others if they think they're going too slow (even if that person is going 5-10 miles over the speed limit) and then once they bully that person out of the way, they speed up and tailgate the next person

I fucking hate these people and legitimately wish harm upon their lives. Especially here in Texas where it's the giant intimidating truck drivers who do this.

So you're saying in order to get anywhere you would need to pay? That's fucking stupid.
That's not the response I would make to that since you're acting like having personal automobiles isn't "paying" for some reason (see: car payments, car insurance, fuel+maintenance, etc). I presume you mean to say "pay someone else to get anywhere" but that's what you're doing in all of those instances even with a personal automobile (you need to pay your car payment+insurance+pay to have fuel in your tank+do regular maintenance/pay someone else to maintain your car for you to legally go anywhere) so I'm not sure I really appreciate the difference and what point you're making here? Why is one acceptable but not the other? There are responses to that train of thought, but this isn't one I'd advise.

rjc571

Banned
You... do realize the thread you're in, right? Have you actually read what's in the OP at all? Because right now, you're just proving the findings point quite beautifully.

Also like how you bring up the "flow of traffic" when your previous post here (the one on top) talks about speeding in "clear conditions" which have nothing at all to do with the flow of traffic but rather just doing it because you can. Nice of you to be honest about that, at least--not everyone is and instead just keeps hiding behind "flow of traffic" as long as they can. How's that even become the flow of traffic in the first place? Because people like you entirely disregard the speed limit and do what they want just because "clear conditions." Again, thanks for taking off the mask to quite easily show that "flow of traffic" really has nothing to do with anything and you'll do it regardless as long as conditions are clear. Makes this easier and I at least respect the honesty there (though not the behavior itself).

But I digress. To return to my point, you do realize what thread you in? Have you read anything? Because trying this hear seems rather disingenuous. Unless you're going to presume you're more of an expert than the NTSB and know better than them and their recommendations and findings?

The study seems to be focused solely on speed and doesn't account for flow of traffic at all. I am disputing the results of the study because of what my extensive driving experience has taught me, which 1). is that speed limits are generally well below the level which constitutes safe driving in clear conditions, and 2) that the vast majority of traffic incidents are due to disrupted flow of traffic rather than excessive speed.

The most dangerous drivers are people in the left lane who tailgate others if they think they're going too slow (even if that person is going 10 miles over the speed limit) and then once they bully that person out of the way, they speed up and tailgate the next person

If you're in the left lane and somebody is tailgating you then get the fuck over ASAP

FrankCanada97

Let's put this another way. If the government legislated intelligent speed adaptation in all vehicles as a standard feature, would you be okay with it?

Makki

Is there something inherently wrong about governments utilizing this particular revenue tool? The study found that raising speed limits just led to drivers speeding over the new limit. The main focus here is reducing the chance of fatal injuries, which occurs at a greater rate when an accident occurs at a higher speed.
At least in the US the precedent has been set by red light camera vulture companies. The profit aspect predates the message of safety when the companies that provide the services make the whole system a game to trap people into paying more. I was glad when my city removed the red light ones and would be glad to see this suggestion die in government

Makki

Let's put this another way. If the government legislated intelligent speed adaptation in all vehicles as a standard feature, would you be okay with it?
In public highways if this was feasible it would at least put an end to a lot of traffic issues, so yes, only if all vehicles had it. Rubber necking and coming to a crawl to watch some dummass on the side of the road being pulled over or broken down is a worse plague than left lane hogging in my area.

The left lane is for passing, not deciding you've set the appropriate pace and staying there.

Top Bottom