• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NTSB: Automated speed enforcement is necessary to reduce speeding-related crashes

The left lane is for passing, not deciding you've set the appropriate pace and staying there.

Don't try to make drivers the blame. The number is the real problem. Not the fact that literally 50% of people with a drivers license in the US shouldn't have one. Whether it be not knowing how to actually drive or be aware of your surroundings, there are so many people I see on a given day that would be better suited on public transportation or a bicycle.

Ri'Orius

The left lane is for passing, not deciding you've set the appropriate pace and staying there.

Yeah, and it can be very frustrating when someone's going slowly in that lane.

But if a jackass lets their frustration get the better of them, and proceeds to tailgate and drive recklessly in response, and an accident occurs as a result, whom would you blame for that?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Lol
"The law is the law so it's immune to criticism and rational thought because it's the law"

Lol tautology

RJVkg.gif

This. Changing lanes while speeding is significantly more dangerous. How about they start ticketing people driving below the flow of traffic in the left lane in a substantial way - that would prevent more accidents than automated ticketing.

Ticket cunts who change three lanes with no blinker going 20 over first.

Lol
"The law is the law so it's immune to criticism and rational thought because it's the law"

Lol tautology

Not sure what this has to do with anything. the poster I quoted wasn't criticizing the law, he's just gung-ho "everybody else get out of the way I'm not part of the problem at all. Meanwhile:

The study links speeding to 112,580 highway crash fatalities between 2005-2014. To put that number in perspective, nearly the same number of people – 112,948 – died in alcohol-involved crashes in the same period.

"I'm one of the safer speeders/drunk drivers" is a harrowing echo and that BS needs to get called out. Folks frequently overestimate their ability. "I drive like a demon on empty highways and have never had a problem except for those people who drive too slowly." is just not apt criticism of a call for laws to help curb one of the biggest contributors to highway fatalities in the US.

FrigidEh

I pretty consistently go 20km/h over the speed limit on highways in Canada which, based on the drivers around me, is the usual. On non-highway roads, 10km/h over is the norm and if you're driving at the speed limit, you're slow.

Acerac

Banned
I think society decided that speeding is acceptable because current speed limits are often too low, sometimes to the point where obeying them makes you more of a threat than speeding.

Fix terrible speed limits if you want people to stop speeding. Since this will mean less income for cities this will not happen.

vertopci

How about they crack down on slow drivers in the left lane instead, leading to fewer risky maneuvers by drivers trying to get around them. This would reduce the number of crashes significantly more than forcing everybody to drive like an old lady.

This. So much this. Fuck everyone who drives at 20 mph under the speed limit in the left lane.

HariKari

"I'm one of the safer speeders/drunk drivers" is a harrowing echo and that BS needs to get called out. Folks frequently overestimate their ability. "I drive like a demon on empty highways and have never had a problem except for those people who drive too slowly." is just not apt criticism of a call for laws to help curb one of the biggest contributors to highway fatalities in the US.

The reason the roads are unsafe in a lot of cases is not the speeders but other people who do not follow traffic laws or common sense, like staying to the right unless you intend to pass. The adherence to these rules aka the average quality of drivers is why other countries have substantially safer highways. Universally blaming speeding is pretty dumb, given the evidence.

Anyone that thinks cameras are an answer hasn't dealt with an intersection or stretch of road that's tuned to maximize revenue instead of safety.

The NTSB should be looking at Germany instead for a model of how driving populations should be managed. Even though they have large stretches of the Autobahn with no posted speed limits their fatal accident rate is a tenth of the American one.

Anyone that thinks cameras are an answer hasn't dealt with an intersection or stretch of road that's tuned to maximize revenue instead of safety.

I'm the best driver everyone else is the WORST!! Everyone still arguing about the speed limit being the end all be all or even a major reason for traffic accidents doesn't spend much time on the road or in suburban side streets. BAD DRIVERS ARE THE PROBLEM!!

Ever since I changed my driving style from "hurry the fuck up and rush to get there" to "get my mpg's as high as possible" I've noticed just how piss poor most people are when driving and adhering to simple rules like sticking to the right except when passing..etc. More stringent testing and harder road tests are necessary.

AoM

I pretty consistently go 20km/h over the speed limit on highways in Canada which, based on the drivers around me, is the usual. On non-highway roads, 10km/h over is the norm and if you're driving at the speed limit, you're slow.

And there's the problem.

Kieli

If commercially owned cars were installed with software to be restricted to city and high-way speeds, then it will be safer all around.

Impact of crashes will be diminished due to lower speeds, and no worry about left-lane drivers becoming erratic in their attempts to pass because... they can't pass due to aforementioned built-in speed limits.

I reckon'll there'll be a twenty year transition period if it was ever implemented (chances are nil, though).

The reason the roads are unsafe in a lot of cases is not the speeders but other people who do not follow traffic laws or common sense, like staying to the right unless you intend to pass. The adherence to these rules aka the average quality of drivers is why other countries have substantially safer highways. Universally blaming speeding is pretty dumb, given the evidence.

That's not what the study is saying. It's saying that speeding has a direct and measurable impact on the severity and frequency of injury and death in passenger vehicle collisions, and provides 20 action items that federal, state and county organizations can implement in a bid to fight a major contributing cause to highway injury and fatality, while improving the data collection methods so that future guidance can be based on better data than is currently available. This doesn't have to happen at the expense of raising the average quality of drivers, so I'm not understanding all the pushback in this thread.

wish they would just increase the speed limit for california from 65 to 75
most people go 80 anyway

Except that it's pretty obvious that if they increase it to 75 most people will just start going 90 (and that's what their findings found out, as well).

AH. The BS strawman... the reliable fallback.

No one ever said that. Hell, the speed limit on freeways in my area are 80 mph. However, the morons driving 90-100 mph and putting everyone else at risk deserve no more protection that the person cruise controlling at 60 in the passing lane.

Some highways and busier streets in our area are 65 at max. 65. The higher volume streets sit at 35. That's a residential speed at best.

I'm all for laws cracking down on speeding and recklessness, but speed limits need to reflect the roads better. Flow of traffic should be at 75 or 80 on any highway in the middle of nowhere, but it's not.

vegohead

Fuuuuuuuck Maryland speed cameras. I feel like one day they're going to add a trollface.jpg on the website where you pay the fine.

They just added two more speed tolls on the I-95 and 495 highway.

Peccavi

Its strange for the NTSB to compare the number of crashes caused by speeding with those caused by drunk driving, when one is considerably more common than the other.

Dishwalla

Banned
Limit speeds of new cars to 55 mph

The government already imposed a national 55 mph limit back in the 70s and 80s, and not only was it widely ignored, it didn't do much to curb traffic deaths(the data on this is inconclusive at best) nor did it do much to curb consumption of gasoline(it's intended purpose, in response to the oil embargo in '73).

In order to successfully limit speeds of new cars to 55, they would have to outlaw aftermarket engine tuners, which already have the capability to bypass the manufacturer's speed limiters. Also they'd have to outlaw any car being on a public road that is older than whatever year they started the production off 55mph cars.

Redd

The most dangerous drivers are people in the left lane who tailgate others if they think they're going too slow (even if that person is going 10 miles over the speed limit) and then once they bully that person out of the way, they speed up and tailgate the next person

My sister got pulled over by a cop in Virginia by going the speed limit in the left lane. I'm not bullshitting anyone here. I was there in the passenger seat and he was pissed off.

Told her in no small terms to look at the huge line of traffic she made because no one could pass her. It looked like a funeral procession. There was a huge truck going her exact speed in the right lane. Seriously made an impression on me and I make a point to never impede the flow of traffic if I can help it.

If I want to go slow I keep to the right. Let the reckless drivers pass me and get tickets when they're caught.

Gaogaogao

I would feel a lot safer if people would actually drive under the speed limit. "speed limit" is a joke right now.
like maybe one day I would trust computers to drive 75+mph but not humans, with cellphones and other people in their cars.
people don't realize how many accidents there are, or just don't care about other people on the road.

My sister got pulled over by a cop in Virginia by going the speed limit in the left lane. I'm not bullshitting anyone here. I was there in the passenger seat and he was pissed off.

Told her in no small terms to look at the huge line of traffic she made because no one could pass her. It looked like a funeral procession. There was a huge truck going her exact speed in the right lane. Seriously made an impression on me and I make a point to never impede the flow of traffic if I can help it.

If I want to go slow I keep to the right. Let the reckless drivers pass me and get tickets when they're caught.

Why do I get a feeling the cop was actually upset because by going so slow, it prevented so many tickets those cops could write instead?

pigeon

Banned
Sounds like someone who comes from the privilege of a city with good public transportation infrastructure. In Texas, if you don't have your own car, you're FUCKED

No, just somebody who believes that America should build good transportation infrastructure instead of just letting thousands of people die a year because we're too lazy or selfish to do what's actually necessary.

Except one is individual ownership where you have the right to travel how and where you want. While the other can have various limitations and fees put upon them. Considering you need a car to get to most places, having that ownership stripped from you is crazy.

People are not responsible enough for the privilege of driving their own cars. The evidence is all the people who get killed by other people driving cars. Also it should be obvious that giving people two-ton blocks of metal that they have to move around the world at 60 miles per hour using their own unassisted facilities in order to get to work every day is completely crazy and will lead to tons of unnecessary injuries and fatalities, which it does in fact do.

Redd

Why do I get a feeling the cop was actually upset because by going so slow, it prevented so many tickets those cops could write instead?

I think it had more to do with he was was stuck behind a truck on the right amd my sister on the left for a very long stretch. He was mad. I still remember how red his face was. He can't legally pull the truck over.

Edit- I also forgot to mention the cop followed my sister for miles. It's why she matched pace with the truck on her right. Now no one could pass not even him.

I use the left lane for passing. Usually clusters of slow traffic in the right lane that takes a couple minutes to pass. These people dont. Their 'appropriate pace' is the max of their speedometer apparently. They are always in the left lane and always tailgating others. If you're constantly tailgating, you're breaking the flow of traffic and driving dangerously.

Dishwalla

Banned
They should make cruising in the left lane illegal, left lane is for passing only. I know some state is trying to make that illegal.

Acerac

Banned
I use the left lane for passing. Usually clusters of slow traffic in the right lane that takes a couple minutes to pass. These people dont. Their 'appropriate pace' is the max of their speedometer apparently. They are always in the left lane and always tailgating others. If you're constantly tailgating, you're breaking the flow of traffic and driving dangerously.
The people they're tailgating should move to the right and there wouldn't be an issue. I say this as somebody who hates tailgaters.

The people they're tailgating should move to the right and there wouldn't be an issue. I say this as somebody who hates tailgaters.

When theres a batch of trucks throwing rocks, hell no. I'll do it after I clear those trucks. Im not getting sandwiched. Happens all the time on interstates.

I have nothing but scorn for super-speeders. I just witnessed two cars going over 100 weaving in and out of traffic with the majority of the other cars going at the same pace. People who go slow in the left lane is dangerous as well, and they're selfish as well, but I'm biased since I had one of these wannabe Nascar drivers slam into me and almost ended my life. Anything to get those fucks punished or ticketed more I'm all for.

Due to all the for profit shenanigans with speed cameras and how speed limits are designed, these things have no credibility with the public as actually being designed with safety in mind. If speed cameras weren't a game to make money off people and speed limit numbers were actually representative of the safe maximum driving speed on a given road, it'd probably be easier to get people to follow them.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Stop worrying about speeders. Pass the people on the right and get out of the left lane. I rarely deal with tailgaters because once I'm completely done passing a cluster of cars on the right I move back to the right.

If I'm in denser traffic and I'm cruising in the left, I keep a space cushion between me and the car in front of me maintaining their speed. If some douche wants to eat my Mazdas ass for a couple of miles that's his problems. If the traffic slows down I'll stop in a controlled manner but enough to make the dude behind me realize if I had to slam on my brakes he'd be fucked. They usually back off.

My full scorn is held for people who pass in the right most lane, who weave in and out of traffic just to maintain pace with the left lane, and the people who don't signal.

I think it had more to do with he was was stuck behind a truck on the right amd my sister on the left for a very long stretch. He was mad. I still remember how red his face was. He can't legally pull the truck over.

Edit- I also forgot to mention the cop followed my sister for miles. It's why she matched pace with the truck on her right. Now no one could pass not even him.

Actually yes he can. Impeding the flow of traffic is an offense in many states and the cop can pull you over for it. If you were dumb enough to be blocking a COP for miles instead of moving to the right to let them pass, then you deserved to get pulled over.

Cops are allowed to drive as fast as they want, so one of the safest ways to exceed the speed limit is to follow a cop. This ensures you won't get pulled over by said cop, since you are behind them, and it also prevents the problem you experienced where you blocked a cop. Never block a cop. This should be goddamned common sense.

450px-950.2.jpg

NTSB Aims to Reduce Speeding-Related Crashes

The full study has not been released yet. But here is an excerpt from the synopsis.
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2017-DCA15SS002-BMG-Abstract.pdf

Why have we as a society decided that speeding is socially acceptable and drunk driving isn't? Is it just convenience? Raising the speed limit won't do much good if people just decide to still go over the limit. The only way to make people care about speeding is to ensure it affects them where it matters most, their wallet.

Well there it is!

Careful. If you dare question people's speeding habits here on neogaf, they'll drive right up your ass in defending their habits and attempt to blame people who aren't going with the flow.

But really, thanks for posting this. Maybe it'll open some eyes. It's definitely a sickness even here.

Acerac

Banned
When theres a batch of trucks throwing rocks, hell no. I'll do it after I clear those trucks. Im not getting sandwiched. Happens all the time on interstates.
If you are comfortable slowing down others who are driving faster than you in the passing lane you should complain less when you are being tailgated.

Redd

Actually yes he can. Impeding the flow of traffic is an offense in many states and the cop can pull you over for it. If you were dumb enough to be blocking a COP for miles instead of moving to the right to let them pass, then you deserved to get pulled over.

Cops are allowed to drive as fast as they want, so one of the safest ways to exceed the speed limit is to follow a cop. This ensures you won't get pulled over by said cop, since you are behind them, and it also prevents the problem you experienced where you blocked a cop. Never block a cop. This should be goddamned common sense.

I wasn't driving. I know you're not supposed to impede the flow of traffic. That was my point. Wtf are you going on about.

I always drive a bit under the speed limit. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in 17 years or so of driving. The accident thing is partially luck since you can't control other people, but you can minimize risk by not driving like an assholes and being attentive.

Bring on our ticketing robot overlords.

I always drive 10 mph over the speed limit. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in 21 years or so of driving. The accident thing is partially luck since you can't control other people, but you can minimize risk by not driving like an assholes and being attentive.

How about people learn how to fucking drive and the government actually have real, stringent driver licensing requirements and testing instead of trying to make everyone else slow down even though other nations are just fine with people driving super fast and have a fraction the accident rate of Americans?

zelas

Nah. Bring on automated cars and higher speed limits. Not having to worry about low awareness drivers bunching up cars behind them would be much better for everyone.

This is why we should ban private ownership of automobiles and restrict them to commercial ownership only. People who need a car can rent a self-driving car from an Uber-like service, by the journey.

Those who read PoliGAF know I'm totally serious!

Um, no. This would not work for people like me. The Uber would need to stay at my house 24x7 to be of any use.

I work 12 hour nights on a rotating schedule and live 17 miles from work and a good 10 miles from any store of any kind. The cost if I needed to go to the dentist after work would be insane.

17 miles to work. 17 miles home so I can take a shower and drop off the wife. (Manual labor factory job so I stink too high heaven when shift is over) 10 miles to the dentist, 10 miles back home. God forbid I need groceries or food too. Or just decide I need to get to the ER or something.

Banning private ownership of vehicles absolutely will not work for over half of Americans. That's a fact not an opinion.

And automated cars will never work on America's road systems. Not for at least the next 50+ years. They already can't even read a stop sign if there is an kind of instruction on it.

gatti-man

Automated ticketing would just make me move. I speed all the time and drive an appropriate car to speed in not some giant SUV. I haven't had an accident in 15 years so fuck automated ticketing. Speed limits are idiotic except in residential and school/park areas.

Dhx

Um, no. This would not work for people like me. The Uber would need to stay at my house 24x7 to be of any use.

I work 12 hour nights on a rotating schedule and live 17 miles from work and a good 10 miles from any store of any kind. The cost if I needed to go to the dentist after work would be insane.

17 miles to work. 17 miles home so I can take a shower and drop off the wife. (Manual labor factory job so I stink too high heaven when shift is over) 10 miles to the dentist, 10 miles back home. God forbid I need groceries or food too. Or just decide I need to get to the ER or something.

Banning private ownership of vehicles absolutely will not work for over half of Americans. That's a fact not an opinion.

And automated cars will never work on America's road systems. Not for at least the next 50+ years. They already can't even read a stop sign if there is an kind of instruction on it.

Think of the people that commute an hour to work and back or those that live in the country as well. It's an idea rooted in fantasy.

I disagree with you on automation, however. It's coming faster than you think. Interstate trucking will be here in a very short time frame.

Top Bottom