• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NTSB: Automated speed enforcement is necessary to reduce speeding-related crashes

My sister got pulled over by a cop in Virginia by going the speed limit in the left lane. I'm not bullshitting anyone here. I was there in the passenger seat and he was pissed off.

Told her in no small terms to look at the huge line of traffic she made because no one could pass her. It looked like a funeral procession. There was a huge truck going her exact speed in the right lane. Seriously made an impression on me and I make a point to never impede the flow of traffic if I can help it.

If I want to go slow I keep to the right. Let the reckless drivers pass me and get tickets when they're caught.
That's a hero cop right there.

Apt101

I want better tech first. I've had of those dumb ass right turn signal enforcement things send me a ticket. Had to go to court and pay fees even though I did nothing wrong. In the second one my car is clearly sitting still, but the machine recorded "17 mph". Then it claimed that .5 seconds later, my car was already around the corner, going 27 mph. I literally told the judge "so I guess this machine thinks my car can defy the laws of physics".

I could just imagine how many problems these would have.

J-Rzez

The problem is that speed limits are outdated. Many of them, and their methods were devised around inferior cars, and fuel crisis times. Vehicles for the past decades have been more than capable for beyond 65, especially 55.

If the speed limit is 65, and someone is doing 59 (or slower in many cases) in the passing lane, it causes congestion and frustration, which leads to other events.

Tractor trailer drivers need to face stiffer control. Nothing worse than two or more gear jammers taking up 2 lanes on an incline grade with 65mph limits, both going 45-48 "trying to pass" one another, aka, trying to piss people off because they know damn well they can't and have no business attempting so.

Then you have people on the road in general who have no damned business being there in the first place (many times with unfit cars). This is a big issue.

If they want to do this digital enforcement, then they better raise the limits on many 55-65mph sections to 75-85mph. Sure, some sections of the road need to be slower due to engineering, keep that under control. Adjust speed limits dynamically for weather.

Then go after left lane cruisers and especially tractor trailer drivers, hard, very very hard. Fine them as hard (hell, harder) than someone doing 5-10 over.

The day this electronic stuff happens is the day I have cams running in my car at all times. Also, if you get cited by these devices, and wrongfully so, the operating state, manufacturer, service sector, MUST pay all court costs, loss of wages, etc.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Do they outline what a "speeding-related crash" is? Is a just a crash where one party was speeding, or where the party's speed was an actual determining factor in the crash?

ZOONAMI

Problem here is people in hats and sunglasses. Can't really prove it's the owner of the car driving it.

People would just start wearing bandanas, hats, and shades. Hell I probably would. The other thing is that municipalities do abuse this. They put cameras effectively in a speed trap to increase revenue. See Arizona.

I am assuming it is only speed related crashes on Highways and freeways.

As I have read many studies about automated Speed/redlight enforcement in cities that have tripled+ the number of car accidents. which does quite the opposite of what this article is saying

Automated cars solves this problem.

How about they crack down on slow drivers in the left lane instead, leading to fewer risky maneuvers by drivers trying to get around them. This would reduce the number of crashes significantly more than forcing everybody to drive like an old lady.

This. Please this. Going 45 in a god damn 70+ lane. C'mon...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I am assuming it is only speed related crashes on Highways and freeways.

As I have read many studies about automated Speed/redlight enforcement in cities that have tripled+ the number of car accidents. which does quite the opposite of what this article is saying

The study is for speed related crashes on all roadways.

ElyrionX

Automated speed cameras cause idiotic drivers to behave like even bigger idiots. People slow down 10-20kmph below the speed limit at these cameras. It's utterly ridiculous.

ZOONAMI

Automated speed cameras cause idiotic drivers to behave like even bigger idiots. People slow down 10-20kmph below the speed limit at these cameras. It's utterly ridiculous.

Yeah it'd kind of hard to realistically predict if this would save lives until after the fact. Unless we are talking aboutes automated cars.

Oooooooorrrrr... you could drive at the speed you're comfortable driving and not put yourself at risk by holding up the flow of traffic? Or do you think all vehicles should be electronically limited to 60 MPH?

The day humans can't control their cars manually anymore, will be one of the best days in human history.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Yeah it'd kind of hard to realistically predict if this would save lives until after the fact. Unless we are talking aboutes automated cars.

csLTpMF.png

Top Bottom