• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for ‘unmaskings’ of Americans

ivajz

By Adam Entous and Ellen Nakashima June 2 at 6:26 PM
The Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee asked U.S. spy agencies late last year to reveal the names of U.S. individuals or organizations contained in classified intelligence on Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, engaging in the same practice that President Trump has accused the Obama administration of abusing, current and former officials said.

The chairman of the committee, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), has since cast the practice of ”unmasking" U.S. individuals and organizations in classified reports as an abuse of surveillance powers by the outgoing Obama administration.

Trump has argued that investigators should focus their attention on former officials leaking names from intelligence reports, rather than whether the Kremlin coordinated its activities with the Trump campaign, an allegation he has denied. ”The big story is the ‘unmasking and surveillance' of people that took place during the Obama administration," Trump tweeted Thursday.

According to a tally by U.S. spy agencies, the House Intelligence Committee requested five to six unmaskings of U.S. organizations or individuals related to Trump or Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton between June 2016 and January 2017. Officials familiar with the matter said that the committee's requests focused on the identities of U.S. organizations that had been hacked by the Russians in 2016. Officials declined to say how many of the requests came from Democrats vs. Republicans.

The chairman of the committee wields enormous control over the actions of its members and requests for more information from intelligence agencies. Officials said that committee rules require the chairman to sign off on the requests, even if they are not his own.

WaPo strikes again!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f64b4fe2dfc_story.html?utm_term=.104904b5518d

Balphon

It's a common practice.

And I'm honestly more surprised when Trump & Co. aren't being hypocritical about something.

sangreal

Nunes has got to be one of the stupidest congressmen out there

Then again, what can you expect when you make an inexperienced farmer the head of the intelligence committee

PSTW_AdjFi0PzLvqFHTpRJYCLtU=.gif

There's something hilariously melodramatic about calling for an unmasking.
Does America literally have ninjas or something?

Everything about this unmasking bullshit drives me up a wall, at the end of the day if Trump and his people were being watched it's because they were having secret meetings with Russians.

Officials declined to say how many of the requests came from Democrats vs. Republicans.

So how does this work? Do questions submitted to the IC (that could potentially lead to unmaskings) require approval from the committee chairs? Just Nunes? Can those requests originate along party lines alone?

The title of the article implies Nunes direct involvement or responsibility for these requests, yet the Republicans asked batted the question back to the committee Democrats.

Unmasking is fine, but in terms of this being a partisan football I don't know what the story is here. If approved by Nunes this is rank hypocrisy, but beyond the article title's implication that claim isn't being directly made or confirmed.

Armaros

So Nunes should be investigating himself then?

He will now bumble on TV to explain how his unmssking is not the same as the national security advisor unmasking.

And a 'dont let this distract you from the real story of obama, also i am definitely not Trump's stooge'

Nunes is so fucking dirty.

He's been doing the same shit he's accusing everyone else of.

And Trump has been helping Nunes dig the hole for himself to crawl into by screaming about unmasking.

Did Republicans have collective amnesia about stuff that happened less than a year ago? Or was this not expected to become public? I get being partisan opportunists but this defies belief even for the current state of affairs.

There's too much covfefe over the past week that' its spilling out of my ear. Trying to judge how US rights are getting violated or not in each news is heart breaking and intimidating to get through.

Top Bottom