• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Two White House Officials Helped Give Nunes Intelligence Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh shit, I think Spicer just accidentally confirmed White House officials were involved. He got tripped up by that last question.

KHarvey16

This is interesting too:

Officials said the reports consisted primarily of ambassadors and other foreign officials talking about how they were trying to develop contacts within Mr. Trump’s family and inner circle in advance of his inauguration.

I think 007 Nunes jumped the gun here running to Daddy before understanding what he had and now the handwaiving, smoke and mirrors and covering up is all a hasty attempt at preserving the mystery of "maybe he was wiretapped."

Spicy getting all hot and bothered.

giphy.gif

Nunes: "I got this highly classified information from anonymous sources!"

NYT: "Anonymous sources tell us it was these two idiots."

Nunes: "I DON'T RESPOND TO SPECULATION FROM ANONYMOUS SOURCES!"
His bullshit is so overt, how are there still people out there falling for it?

Jenov

Of course he got it from Trump stooges in the WH, lol. In fact, it was probably ordered to be found and released by Trump himself. His widdle ego couldn't stand everyone laughing at his tweet lies, so he made it look like an outside validation by funneling it through Nunes.

he is a nobody who was gifted a congressional seat through redistricting. He used to work for the USDA and has some agriculture-related degrees. That's the extent of his prior career. He is entirely unqualified to head the intelligence committee

or as he puts it:

All that coming from Tulare, lol..

Of course he got it from Trump stooges in the WH, lol. In fact, it was probably ordered to be found and released by Trump himself. His widdle ego couldn't stand everyone laughing at his tweet lies, so he made it look like an outside validation by funneling it through Nunes.

And of course our national security staff and counsel are spending their time doing "CTRL-F ....Trump" in surveillance docs and databases instead of trying to keep our country safe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
All this LITERALLY because Trump repeated a false assertion about Obama and looked like a goddamn idiot. Destroying whatever control he had over the house investigation and breaking the law, for pure vanity. Not even an attempt to deal with the Russia stuff, just how his own stupidity affected his self-image.

My god.

Anyway, no way can Nunes remain. It's done. Let's see how painfully long they insist he stays.

Sounds like incidental collection of Trump family communication related to foreign officials looking in-roads to get close to then might be worth looking into...

Brilliant bringing that to light in order to "prove" a dumb wiretap claim that was created to distract from fears about foreign influence and collusion.

So to straighten things out for those keeping score:

1. Trump tweets Obama wiretapped his phones in Trump Tower

2. Panic among Republicans ensue. Airquotes.

3. In a bid to validate Trump, Nunes says he received info that Trump was picked up in surveillance, partially vindicating Trump.

4. Turns out Nunes went to Whitehouse secure facility to meet with the "sources".

5. Story breaks, Nunes under fire. Refuses to name his sources.

6. NYT breaks another story, identifies the sources as two Whitehouse employees working for Trump. (Sources had access to FISA warrant?)

Now here's where it gets interesting. Did Trump knew about the plan to feed Nunes FISA info? It looks like he did. "We will be submitting some things to the committee".

Nixon tried the whole, "The President was unaware" strategy too, didn't work for him either.

I don't see him lasting the year..

Even if the impeachment hearings/proceedings started now I think it would take until next year to even reach any final conclusions/actions. Especially with how compromised it seems the GOP party/trump team is, it certainly wouldn't be much of a smooth, fast process.

KHarvey16

Is it though? I don't see it.

If the chairman of an investigative committee is shown to have received illegal leaks from people who are likely (through their relationship to manafort) subjects of that investigation it's actually a much worse offense than Flynn. It's unsustainable.

The pessimism and cynicism makes it hard for people to distinguish from truly small stories and truly big ones. This one sinks Nunes.

Socivol

I wish this party would just pick a narrative and be consistent with it. You can't say go after leakers and have them named and then say it's about the content not what is leaked. It's hilarious the only leakers that have been identified are White House leakers. Trump will lose any credibility he has (which isn't much) if they don't do anything about these named leakers.

Jerm411

This whole thing seems way too orchestrated to me....like this was planed and Trump and his cronies used it to throw Nunes under the bus so the focus would be on him, the integrity of the committee & investigation, etc. to shift away from Russia..

I don't know.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spicer keeps trying to equate government transparency with journalistic transparency. These are not equal, for good and well established reasons.

Also I like Spicer being explicitly asked whether he's aware if Nunes has been offered any higher positions.

KHarvey16

This whole thing seems way too orchestrated to me....like this was planed and Trump and his cronies used it to throw Nunes under the bus so the focus would be on him, the integrity of the committee & investigation, etc. to shift away from Russia..

I don't know.

This is a circus and no one is planning anything.

Trump created a slippery slope trying to make Obama look like a spy, and now it's an avalanche of leaks, breaking FISA laws and House Intel stoogery.

RoKKeR

GLENN Thrush, NYT.

"BOOOOOO"

Some terrible and broken-record narratives today from the Spice Master. The whole process vs. substance bit plus the false equivalence between anonymity in journalism and government.

guek

Banned
If the chairman of an investigative committee is shown to have received illegal leaks from people who are likely (through their relationship to manafort) subjects of that investigation it's actually a much worse offense than Flynn. It's unsustainable.

The pessimism and cynicism makes it hard for people to distinguish from truly small stories and truly big ones. This one sinks Nunes.

The difference is the Flynn story was eventually corroborated by official intelligence sources. If Nunes denies everything and the NYT sources want to remain anonymous, nothing is going to happen unless the IC gets involved.

I don't know.

It is pretty tough to have five or ten uproars at once. There should be, there are many deserved uproars, but we tend to get stuck on one. For example, the budget they just proposed is a fucking disaster of avarice and fear.

Zolo

I don't know.

People claimed that about the Obama tweet. It definitely did not shift attention away from Russia.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I don't know.

Nunes isn't the brightest bulb in the box so they've used him for their bidding. However, they are so clumsy with what they are doing, we as in the public, finds out virtually everything. People leak because they want things to leak because it's getting really hot in the Trump White House. Prison will be on the table for many and they want parachutes out before it comes to that. For many of these people, they are DC lifers, you have to play nice after Trump is out. That's what most people think.

Socivol

Trump created a slippery slope trying to make Obama look like a spy, and now it's an avalanche of leaks, breaking FISA laws and House Intel stoogery.

His biggest problem is not shutting the hell up. Half of the issues we are seeing is because Trump and his officials won't just shut up.

Kurdel

Banned

I don't know.

The last 71 days has shown us that we should never overestimate them.

rambis

Banned
Oh shit, I think Spicer just accidentally confirmed White House officials were involved. He got tripped up by that last question.

Anymore context?

It's all about the substance, not the process, guys. Don't worry about leaks!

This is hilarious given they tried to deflect the entirety of the House Open hearing to the leakers and not the leak. This WH cannot hold a consistent tone to save its life.

I don't know.
Considering this news is making things even muddier than before, this orchestra has a pretty shitty conductor.

Maxim726X

I don't know.

Nah, Trump is inept and so is his team.

A parsimonious answer.

jelly

Even if the impeachment hearings/proceedings started now I think it would take until next year to even reach any final conclusions/actions. Especially with how compromised it seems the GOP party/trump team is, it certainly wouldn't be much of a smooth, fast process.

It would stop them from doing more damage which would be a good thing.

jelly

It didn't work for Nixon because everyone knew he was smart

Trump has an advantage here because he's a complete idiot and people give idiots a pass

He isn't an idiot. Ignorant, lazy, racist, conman, criminal, sexist, groper, rapist, paedophile. Yes. Well, who knows on those last two but I suspect so considering what he says and who he is friends with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom