• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

a cup almond milk (home made)
Almond Milk ice cubes = to a cup
3 cups of unsweetened Cocoa
Scoop of Vanilla Whey
Stevia syrup

its fills my blender bottle

Just making this... your unsweetened cocoa. You actually mean liquid cocoa? Because three cups of powder is a batshit mental amount!

Edit - Made it with a third of a cup just to try. An excellent tasting milkshake, but not icecream. Possibly a failure of my blender? If I really have to use three cups of cocoa then there's no way I can make it anyway, the calories will be off the chart!

Just making this... your unsweetened cocoa. You actually mean liquid cocoa? Because three cups of powder is a batshit mental amount!

Edit - Made it with a third of a cup just to try. An excellent tasting milkshake, but not icecream. Possibly a failure of my blender? If I really have to use three cups of cocoa then there's no way I can make it anyway, the calories will be off the chart!
My bad its tablespoon. Its the ratio of liquid that makes its thicker. Half cup of liquid and a cup of ice.
I tried 1/2cup of frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen strawberry , and 4-5 ice cubes with 1/2 cup of almond milk. A scoop of Vanilla Whey
Thick ice cream

Also don't blend it longer. Vitamix tells me 30 seconds or less

Man, I just ran the numbers on that milkshake I ended up with... 350kcal should not have tasted that good (33g of protein too!). Wrong recipe or not, I'd happily make it again!

Yeah, basically what I quoted earlier but with just over a third of a cup of cocoa powder and probably a cup and a half of almond milk ice cubes. I used unflavoured whey, but I doubt that makes a significant difference.

Sadetar

How do you guys feel about Meal Replacement shakes in order to lose weight? As far as quick weight loss measures. Specifically, the GNC Total Lean 25 shake for breakfast and lunch, and a healthy dinner accompanied by a kale/spinach based shake. Maybe small snacking in between of nuts and fruit.

For all the shakes, the nutritional info is almost exactly the same
Code:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 bottle
Servings Per Container 4
Amount Per Serving	% DV
Calories	170.00	
Calories from Fat	50.00	
Total Fat	6.00 g	9%
Saturated Fat	1.00 g	5%
Trans Fat	0.00 g	
Cholesterol	20.00 mg	7%
Total Carbohydrate	6.00 g	2%
Sugars	2.00 g	
Sodium	330.00 mg	14%
Potassium	310.00 mg	9%
Dietary Fiber	3.00 g	12%
Protein	25.00 g	0%
I wouldn't use them. Personally I think that it is better to eat real food that to use replacements. I mean sure, I have tried them in the past, but the weight always came back. In my honest opinion, it is better not to get your body used to way too low daily calorie intake but actually learn a healthy way of eating and working out that you can maintain also in the future.

What will work for you may be different than what works for me, but I say that try some other diet instead. What is wrong with eating a healthy lunch (some proteins, some nuts, some greens) instead of a smoothie?

So, I've been on a low carb diet for a while. Not necessarily keto, but just considerably cutting down on carbs. Tonight it was cold outside and I decided to order something with fries, and a brownie and...Oh lawd, I can't process this stuff anymore. It tastes good, but I feel like shit. I was on the toilet for like half an hour.

Does this happen to other people or could it have been something I ate?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does this happen to other people or could it have been something I ate?

Definitely happens to me. Of course, it could have been compounded by what you ate being bad.

But, yeah, if I eat some garbage after a good streak of eating clean, it does terrible things to my bowels.

Shaneus

Same happened to me, too. I think it's only exceptionally shitty food that does it, though. After a few weeks low-carbing, had fish and chips one night and was REALLY unwell the next day. But there are other carb-laden things I've eaten that have been fine after a low-carb stint, so I can only assume it varies.

Maybe it's a starch thing?

Bowser

I've been carb cycling (6 days keto, 1 day high carb) for the past 10 weeks, and without fail I always get gassy the day after my high carb days. Carb metabolism is supposedly the main source of gas production in your intestines, so makes sense to be gassy after eating junk food that's mostly carbs.

iso135

Thanks for the thread. I started my healthy eating and working out yesterday. I am currently on the road for a month living in a hotel, but I plan on doing my best at eating healthy. I brought an electric tea kettle to boil eggs, I have salad materials in the mini fridge, greek yogurts, plain almonds, avocados, bananas, etc.

Per the calorie calculators, my small size leads to a maintenance level of around 2000 calories. I am only trying to cut 3-5 lbs (I am skinny with just a little fat around my mid section). Really, the eating healthy and working out is more about my health than my appearance, but I wouldn't mind losing a few lbs.

I plan on letting my body tell me what it wants me to do rather than abiding by a strict plan. For example, yesterday I consumed around 1600 calories worth of food (a bit lower than my goal of 1800-2000) because I was not super hungry. During my 42 minute workout my Charge HR says that I burned 322 calories based on my heart rate, size, etc. That means my net for yesterday was some 700 calories below maintenance. Today I am hungrier, though, so I plan on consuming 1800-2000 calories with my deficit predominantly coming from my workout.

Any tips? Am I doing it wrong?

Edit: I am trying to abide by the 40/30/30 macro plan. The fat and carbs are easy.... but man I was short of protein yesterday even after having cheese, greek yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs, and a quest bar..

Paying too much attention to the calories burned on activity monitors is probably a fairly bad way to go. They're notoriously inaccurate.

iso135

Paying too much attention to the calories burned on activity monitors is probably a fairly bad way to go. They're notoriously inaccurate.

Yeah, true. I just figure if I consume maintenance calories and workout, I am creating a net deficit. The exact amount doesn't matter to me TOO much.

Tweaking that "ice cream" milkshake recipe and I've got it up to 40g of protein now without negatively affecting the taste or texture. Going to see what other flavours I can make, maybe try some hazlenut or coconut alpro.

Mascot

Been exhibiting at Olympia for the past couple of days which means not being able to take two steps without tripping over buckets of Haribo, cookies, marshmallows, mints, muffins and every other wonderfully evil foodstuff known to man. Then there are the lunches and boozy evening feasts. I've literally taken on my normal annual intake of junk this week alone.

And the stand next to ours is giving out malt whisky samples.

I am weak.

Mascot

Fattyfatfatfat?

Well, certainly a few pounds gained over the last couple of days. Traffic was awful getting out of London tonight so we stopped and pigged out on KFC at a service station, just as a final blowout before the green smoothies recommence tomorrow. Feel terrible now. Thumping headache and sweating grease.

iso135

On day four of my game plan of eating healthy and working out. I feel great. I have found a rhythm. But, those damn protein calories. How do you all get enough protein? Two eggs, some fish/chicken, a quest bar, greek yogurt, cheese, and I still end up at 60-75% of my protein calories goal.

Bowser

On day four of my game plan of eating healthy and working out. I feel great. I have found a rhythm. But, those damn protein calories. How do you all get enough protein? Two eggs, some fish/chicken, a quest bar, greek yogurt, cheese, and I still end up at 60-75% of my protein calories goal.

Whey protein powder, more eggs, nuts/nut butters? How many grams of protein are you trying to hit?

Chicken breast, peanut butter, whey protein, shit ton of eggs, greek yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese. You gotta up the foods that have a lot of protein in them if you need more. Eat more than two eggs or have more protein heavy snacks.

iso135

My goal is 135g of protein. My main problem is that increasing eggs, and cheeses to much puts me above my fat calories level. Basically I have been coming in slightly above on fat calories, right on for carbs, and a bit below for proteins.

Maybe I should cut avocados and nuts back because they have too much fat, which would allow me to increase my eggs and meats.

I am currently living out of a hotel room, so avocados, almonds, and cheese are easy...

Bowser

My goal is 135g of protein. My main problem is that increasing eggs, and cheeses to much puts me above my fat calories level. Basically I have been coming in slightly above on fat calories, right on for carbs, and a bit below for proteins.

Maybe I should cut avocados and nuts back because they have too much fat, which would allow me to increase my eggs and meats.

I am currently living out of a hotel room, so avocados, almonds, and cheese are easy...

Whey is definitely the easiest to quickly up your protein. What are your macros? When I want to get a quick hit of carbs and protein (when not on keto), for example post-workout, I love mixing a scoop of whey into a cup of 0% greek yogurt and a 1/2 cup of granola. Ends up being something like:

38g carbs / 15g fat / 57g protein

That's more than 40% of your protein right there, quick and easy without any prep. Throw some ground cinnamon on top and it's practically dessert.

If you need to raise your protein, you could just eat the egg whites. They even sell liquid egg whites which might be the easiest for you if you're limited to a hotel room.

By the way, some new reports are out regarding the 2015 dietary guidelines for Americans. Added sugars are being demonized (rightfully so) and dietary cholesterol concerns are being drastically lowered (rightfully so).

Just ordered a Nutri Ninja Professional IQ (BL480). Going to try and get a friend in the US to buy a couple of the big cups and send them over.

Looking to start a Keto diet this week, are there any good sources of info out there? I've tried Atkins before so it's not entirely new to me, but I will be doing a carb cycle this time so not to fuck up my weight training.

It's the carb cycling I need more info on, really.

Mascot

I went with the £99 costco one. Bigger cups are going to cost me about half that again when all is said and done. lol

I might pick a Ninja Pro IQ up (when they drop back to £80) as a backup for the Nutribullet. I like the automatic press-and-go operation, and the way it stops mid-blend to let the contents settle.

If your American friend is sending 32oz cups over, get him to send a box full. You could sell them on over here for a tidy little profit. No idea why they don't sell them here yet. Totally baffling.

Ha, yeah maybe I should.

I noticed that most of the ones available online are knockoffs too. You can only get the proper cups direct on the nutri ninja site (they have the measurement levels / embossing on the side).

Chocobro

Looking to start a Keto diet this week, are there any good sources of info out there? I've tried Atkins before so it's not entirely new to me, but I will be doing a carb cycle this time so not to fuck up my weight training.

It's the carb cycling I need more info on, really.

I was PMing ILoveBish a few weeks ago talking about keto and I also did some of my own research. I found these two sources to be helpful:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

I haven't fully decided when to try keto as a self-experiment.

Man, the main thing I want to do is start eating healthier as my current diet is complete crap. Like zero vegetables, little to no fruits. Mostly just meats, pizza, pastas and bread. The problem is, I've no idea how to even eat vegetables.

I've been reading up on a variety of diets but what I'm wondering is, is there any such thing as a step by step diet. Like, something that gives me a grocery list and then just tells me what to eat each day? Or would I be better off visiting a nutritionist for something like that?

Bowser

I don't think I want to go keto. I do like my fruits smoothies and popcorn

Keto combined with carb cycling has been pretty easy for me to follow. Eat strict keto during the week and have one day (well, one 8-hour window) when I refill on carbs (usually Saturdays). That's when I get in some fruit, pasta, a bagel, mashed potatoes, a dessert or two, etc. Going strong on my 12th week now.

Cagey

Banned
On my post wedding, post prolonged cut bulk game right now. Life is good. God is real. Brownies are still heaven.

Man, the main thing I want to do is start eating healthier as my current diet is complete crap. Like zero vegetables, little to no fruits. Mostly just meats, pizza, pastas and bread. The problem is, I've no idea how to even eat vegetables.

I've been reading up on a variety of diets but what I'm wondering is, is there any such thing as a step by step diet. Like, something that gives me a grocery list and then just tells me what to eat each day? Or would I be better off visiting a nutritionist for something like that?

I wasn't a veggie eater before and I eat rice a lot, but just one day I said no more rice. I'm not a salad eater. Cold veggies is a no for me. I substitute steamed broccoli as a rice with my protein. Steak/broccoli then gradually started eating less steak more chicken and fish. The protein helped me eat veggies
that's how it worked for me, but we're all different.

Go see a nutritionist for a personal plan that works for you

EDIT
Keto combined with carb cycling has been pretty easy for me to follow. Eat strict keto during the week and have one day (well, one 8-hour window) when I refill on carbs (usually Saturdays). That's when I get in some fruit, pasta, a bagel, mashed potatoes, a dessert or two, etc. Going strong on my 12th week now.
I think the only time I want to try keto is if I really want get rid of the side fat which is the stubborn one

There's nothing magical about keto for losing fat in particular places. It's just that some people find it easier to adhere to. You can pry my carbs from my cold dead hands. Screw limiting my food choices for more than a couple of days a week.

Top Bottom