• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA does $5 million deal with Ubisoft

McLovin

I won't be getting a 4k uhdtv anytime soon, let alone a 4k pc monitor. This would be cool maybe 4-5 years from now.

Nethaniah

I would love to get a 4k monitor but only if it's around 2 grand or less, seems weird that the 4k monitors are currently more expensive than the tv's.

Binabik15

I hate gpu vendor moneyhats as much as console moneyhats.

And considering performance in AC3 with a 7870 I doubt that I'd play in 4K anytime soon. My 23" 1080 monitor looks really sharp, too. Higher DPI is better, of course, my brother has a laptop with a glossy 1080p @ 17" screen that is just beautiful to look at with properly AAed games, but mine is still good enough, more than good when I sit back onstead of hunched close. And I couldn't place a much bigger screen on my desk, anyway.

So at least moneyhat smoother min fps and micro stutter/frame latency and juicy max percormance and AA that doesn't shave off a metric ton of performance over super super hig-res textures. Better overall performance>enormous res, IMO.

SmartBase

ugh 4K gaming?

I'll settle for 1080p, just give me 60FPS, good AA and bigger scope, better modeling, better effects.

4K is a waste of resources IMO.

That doesn't make any sense. This isn't console optimization we're talking about, why would they sacrifice work in those areas you mentioned to push 4K? If you don't wanna game in 4K, don't. Unless I'm missing something here.

Seems it's about 4K textures, I'd say my point still stands.

Rafterman

Banned
It's scary how many GAFfers know virtually nothing about the GPU market or its history. These deals are nothing new. Nvidia, AMD, 3dfx, etc. have all been doing this for decades. Even further the people worrying about needing two computers or one of each brand card are worried about nothing. There are already games that run better on certain hardware, and it has always been that way. If you haven't been using separate machines all of these years why would need to suddenly do so now?

TheD

The Detective
4k textures != 4k panel

gaf sometimes you're really stupid

Yeah!

Only a moron (the writer of this article) would think that some textures having 4K (4096x4096) res has anything to a display having a res of 3840×2160!

This is clearly just click bait from some dumb hack!

mclem

is this how amd and nvidia plan on getting rich, if a pc gamers wants all the bells and whistle for each game they are gonna have to own two different computers ?

It should be feasible to run multiple graphics cards from a single computer; there's rarely that much demand for it (for obvious reasons!) but I don't see a fundamental reason that it should be impossible. That said, it'd need an external control to switch cards, because there's no way you'd be able to *power* full-power graphical setups without your own Mr. Fusion unit.

mclem

Right, but tech doesn't just suddenly appear in a mainstream product for a cheap price out of nowhere. It arrives at the enthusiast level first, then becomes mainstream when the price gets low enough. This is aimed squarely at enthusiasts. You won't even get 4k in mainstream gaming next-next gen, let alon this one.

I get why it's used, but the term "enthusiast" always kinda bothers me in this context. I've played games for years, I have a collection in the thousands. I have a deep and intense passion for gaming. In short: I am a huge gaming enthusiast.

That's why I'm playing an RPG from 1986 at the moment.

FGMPR

Banned
Spot on comment. Both AMD and Nvidia are as bad as each other when it comes to games optimised for specific brand.

What makes you think these features would even be included at all if someone wasn't putting up the cash for their inclusion?

Top Bottom