• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Game 24 Stream All Night Live Another Day

Evo X

DAMN, according to the techpowerup review, the 970 on average was only 8% slower than the 980. How the hell are they justifying that $200 jump in price?

970 SLI seems like a godly setup right now.

DAMN, according to the techpowerup review, the 970 on average was only 8% slower than the 980. How the hell are they justifying that $200 jump in price?

970 SLI seems like a godly setup right now.

8800GT SLI set up cost was about 600 when I got it. It was god like too.

Renekton

KV17Lux.gif

Will this bandwidth-workaround compression result in any degradation in image quality or color?

(Sorry for spam, I asked the same question in the other 980 thread)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How so? Another 780Ti would cost $700.

I would much rather offload my current 780Ti for ~$500, and buy the superior 980 for $550.

Even if I go SLI, the 980s would cost me a difference of $600, vs spending an additional $700 for the second 780Ti.

If you can sell your 780Ti for $500 and buy a 980 for $550, then sure. I just don't know how you'll do that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Plus side:
Get to play EVE VR and Wasteland 2 and Gauntlet

Woot woot
BOOO HIM HAZ BOO HIM
I said $330 was respectable.
I was getting sliders outside anyway so whatever. Guy told me to go play Dota at nvidia so it was worth it.

Xyber

I have to see what the prices turn out to be for 980 here in Sweden, but it does not look good if I want a good cooler. =(

Maybe I'll just go with reference cooler, since I am planning on replacing it with the full maxwell card next year anyway. If I could deal with the 6950 reference, this shouldn't be a problem.

Serandur

Not really considering it much now, but I wonder if I could even get $280 for my 780 GHz now. Damn, should have sold a few days ago... that 970 price has me much more positive towards it, but it's still no performance champion.

I've been planning the switch since the Gsync announcement. I know freesync is happening at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

Since I'm coming from a 7970, this looks like a great jumping in point, not that I haven't owned multiple NVidia (and AMD/Radeon) cards in the past.

First time in like 4 years that a new gpu looks attractive/compelling to me.

I'm relieved that they priced the 970 reasonably

One click downsampling is a feature I've wanted for ages (my 6870+ crt monitor never even let me downsample at all) and getting an almost 4x performance increase over my hd6870 while using less power is pretty cool (can't stand a noisy pc)

Shame there's no point upgrading my gpu before I replace my phenom II cpu... it's costly with current ram prices and the midrange cpu being 230 euros.
Time for a new build soon me thinks.

Ok, so here is my real question. SLI two 970's or just go with the 980? Money isn't that big of a issue, but I don't want to SLI two 980's. I got the general consensus that it is just better to go with the single better card than to SLI two lower ones since most games have really bad SLI support.

Evo X

Ok, so here is my real question. SLI two 970's or just go with the 980? Money isn't that big of a issue, but I don't want to SLI two 980's. I got the general consensus that it is just better to go with the single better card than to SLI two lower ones since most games have really bad SLI support.

I've always preferred a single powerful GPU to 2 weaker ones, but damn the 970 SLI at $660 is making a great case for itself.

Even if the game doesn't support SLI, the 970 only seems to be about 10% slower than the 980.

wildfire

Banned

You don't need to SLI if your performance target is stable 60FPS 1080p with games made this year.

If you want 120 FPS to leverage lightboost/ulmb or 60fps for next year's games at 1440P + then carefully consider getting SLI.

A single 970 will satisfy a lot of people.

Weevilone

The only reason to go with the 980 is if you'll wind up feeling the need to SLI that. It won't be a lot of difference in the long run but maybe it's 10-20%. There's no value proposition there for sure..

Evo X

Just found this on Nvidia's site
How Maxwell’s VR Direct Brings Virtual Reality Gaming Closer to Reality: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/maxwell-virtual-reality/#sthash.UeUlBr7q.dpuf
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/maxwell-virtual-reality/

"Few applications support VR headsets. So we’re bringing VR support to games that already work with NVIDIA 3D Vision."

Awesome news!

Holy Shit, is this Maxwell only? I have a DK2, so that alone will push me to get a 980.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just found this on Nvidia's site
How Maxwell’s VR Direct Brings Virtual Reality Gaming Closer to Reality: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/maxwell-virtual-reality/#sthash.UeUlBr7q.dpuf
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/09/18/maxwell-virtual-reality/

"Few applications support VR headsets. So we’re bringing VR support to games that already work with NVIDIA 3D Vision."

Awesome news!

Hooooolyyyyy fuuuuuuck! I don't have any VR stuff, but I'm really big into 3D vision and this sounds like they'll be putting some good legs behind 3D vision again! It's an incredibly technology totally worth investing resources in.

Faith

Well then.

If Oculus Rift launches with a 4K display @90Hz, do we have to buy new GPUs because of missing DP 1.3 support?

I'm really thinking about buying a SLI system for the first time. The performance boost would be so huge.

Verger

Banned
Did anyone read the techpowerup review for the 980?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/31.html

This is their closing line. lol
The final paragraph in total pretty much skewers AMD by bringing in the 970 (even though its a 980 review, heh)
At this price point, GTX 980 beats AMD's Radeon R9 290X in everything: price/performance, absolute performance, performance per Watt, power consumption, heat, noise. The only thing R9 290X has going for it is its lower price, which I find hardly convincing, especially with GTX 970 being cheaper and faster. GTX 970 at $330 is a steal, really. It is not that much slower than GTX 980, still beats AMD's R9 290X, with better pricing, and brings all the amazing power consumption improvements of GTX 980. Simply put, GTX 980 is the premium product to GTX 970, and you'll have to pay for that. NVIDIA has declared GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 end-of-life, which means you might be able to find those cards at discounted prices. Personally I wouldn't upgrade from anything more recent than GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA's new products. Oh, and AMD seems fucked.

Vibranium

Banned
The final paragraph in total pretty much skewers AMD by bringing in the 970 (even though its a 980 review, heh)

"Oh, and AMD seems fucked." is one of the funniest closing lines I've ever read. Lots of angry fans are going to be on about that in the comments haha.

Top Bottom