• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Gamers should not limit their options to PS4/XB1; PC is the way to go

ghst

thanks for the laugh
brace yourselves for ad hominem attacks and emotionally driven outbursts in lieu of any real counterpoint.

Silky

Banned
I don't understand individuals who champion next gen console gaming and turn a blind eye to PC gaming, and vice versa.

Why not, like, just enjoy both. I'm planning on getting EVERYTHING. I love video games too much to miss out on hits because of some exclusivity boner that I could be packing.

pa22word

And cost.org

PCs are cheaper in the long run after high initial upfront cost. Free online and much cheaper games ensure that. You can basically always find a new release PC game selling 10-20$ (sometimes more!) off MSRP.

X1 with 6 years of XBLG = 860$, which is roughly what you can buy a really good PC with

Hey Nvidia, get your heads out of your asses! It's video games for crying out loud!
Nobody should give a damn what you play on because there are far more important things in the world than which corporations you support!

It's all about managing your wallet and time that's it.

PC is all about power but what about Japanese games and their players who like to play on the move?

Ban Puncher

CnBsH.gif

hohoXD123

PCs are cheaper in the long run after high initial upfront cost. Free online and much cheaper games ensure that. You can basically always find a new release PC game selling 10-20$ (sometimes more!) off MSRP.

X1 with 6 years of XBLG = 860$, which is roughly what you can buy a really good PC with

PS+

NVIDIA has become rather annoying. How many times must you inadvertently tell us that you're upset by recommending the most obvious contender for most powerful outlet for gaming. These mother fuckers are so whack.

90% of the time these threads are based on answers they gave in response to interview questions. They always answer more or less truthfully. The only "salt" (as people so often make mention of) here is the people complaining about them. In this case they have launched a range of small form factor PCs, so of course they are going to ask you to consider buying them. They're not even just pimping their own stuff either, but small PCs in general.

Nymphae

Banned
“The PC platform is far superior to any console when it comes to gaming, plus you get all the extra functionality that a computer brings.”

I would say it's superior in terms of graphical capability, but gaming? I don't think so. There aren't many PC exclusives that hold that much sway in my eyes, I'm far more interested in console exclusives.

Hey Nvidia, get your heads out of your asses! It's video games for crying out loud!
Nobody should give a damn what you play on because there are far more important things in the world than which corporations you support!

It's all about managing your wallet and time that's it.

PC is all about power but what about Japanese games and their players who like to play on the move?

Not that I support Nvidias approach here, but you can remote access your gaming rig from any mobile device.

That, and it isn't like the Japanese market is all that strong right now. But we do have Ys!

Silky

Banned
It's a ridiculous reason for you ?

well I edited that comment because of how narrow minded it is, but yes. It is. If you want to play these games on PC, you gotta be committed to the price. It's all my opinion, but again; it's a narrow minded on.

It is when you factor in that it's only more expensive upfront, and as the gen goes on it'll eventually be a cheaper investment vs the PS4 or xbone.

Consumers don't see that. I guarantee you, by the end of this gen, I'd spend much less than a PS4/Xbone owner will spend by the time I get rid of my gaming laptop and get a proper gaming PC.

PS+ is a joke compared to PC gaming. $50 a year for game rentals and an online paywall? lol fuck out of here.

If that service gets more Steam like sales then it would become godly but at this point it's just very good. Young grasshopper and all that...

Not that I support Nvidias approach here, but you can remote access your gaming rig from any mobile device.

That, and it isn't like the Japanese market is all that strong right now. But we do have Ys!

So Crysis remote play? Can you show me?

RooMHM

The only "salt" (as people so often make mention of) here is the people complaining about them. In this case they have launched a range of small form factor PCs, so of course they are going to ask you to consider buying them. They're not even just pimping their own stuff either, but small PCs in general.
Thank you. Also how unnatural is it to try promoting your own products even indirectly ? It s not.
Salt isn t compatible with truth, you can t be salty by telling the truth.

They're not even just pimping their own stuff either, but small PCs in general.
True, but they know they hold a bigger share in the PC market than their competition, literally and through consumer awareness, so to them there's a decent chance a consumer going PC would choose to go with an Nvidia product.

nasos_333

Most of the games i play are consoles exlcusives, like JRPGs, Zelda, Demons Souls, Ni no Kuni, Fable etc

Most PC only games i care about are Kickstarter titles and 2D adventures, this will play on my non gaming PC fine

So, for me only consoles are something i cosider to buy, my PC just exists and will play what i cant play on my PS4/xbox one/3DS

mclem

Enthusiast players want the ultimate games system and that is the PC

I've ranted elsewhere about this misattribution of 'enthusiast'. Seeing it abused like this as a PR gambit would inherently sour me to what someone is saying:

I think possibly one disparity here is that there's two distinct forms of enthusiasts in the games industry. One type is interested in the vast range of gaming and doesn't have a particular interest in the tech side of things other than what potential that has for variations to familiar gameplay. For them, a new console is defined by the range of experiences it allows them to access.

The other type is all about the tech; is more interested in how the tech can make a few games really sing. They may not play all that many; they may not care for games that don't really lend themselves to bleeding-edge graphics. For them, a new console is defined by the quality of experiences it allows them to access.

There is a tendency for each field of enthusiasts to not comprehend the others' desires and interests, and to believe that they are the only truly dedicated gamers.

hohoXD123

90% of the time these threads are based on answers they gave in response to interview questions. They always answer more or less truthfully. The only "salt" (as people so often make mention of) here is the people complaining about them. In this case they have launched a range of small form factor PCs, so of course they are going to ask you to consider buying them. They're not even just pimping their own stuff either, but small PCs in general.

I don't really see how saying that PCs are far superior to any console when it comes to "gaming" is being truthful. Sounds more like an opinion dressed as a fact in the name of PR.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
No thanks. I'm done with all the bullshit involved. I know it has better performance and better looking games, but still. No thanks.

Begaria

Cool beans, Nvidia. Of course I'm going to stick with PC (along with a PS4). I have some troubling news for you though...I prefer AMD cards. Sooooorryyyyy....

ShapeGSX

Make it not a pain in the ass and I might start PC gaming again. I just want to start up any game I get and play it with a controller right away. No mouse needed, ever.

Well pretty sure nvidia will be in some Steam machines if you want to consider that a console. Also tablets and stuff as well.

Understandable, but AMD are in a stronger position at this moment of time in terms of partnerships with Sony and Microsoft. Nvidia are indeed releasing high powered graphics cards, however the price seems to be a huge deciding factor for gamers.

nasos_333

One thing is for sure, if Nvidia can offer me all console exclusives and JRPGs on PC, will buy one of their top end cards

Until then the only way i would limit my gaming is by upgrading with some top end video card, instead of just buying PS4 for multipltforms and using my old PC for PC exclusives i want to experience and getting all consoles for their exclusives eventually

Espada

I'm going PC/PS4 myself, but this reeks of desperation and is pretty sad.

Exactly. Everyone knows if you want power you game on PC, so this constant repetition just makes them seem really insecure. Since the difference is so big, let it be self-evident. Doing this just reminds me of the "master race" people who constantly port-beg for console games.

And they don't seem to realize that a lot of people don't want to game on PCs, and that's perfectly valid as well.

joolz

Most of the games i play are consoles exlcusives, like JRPGs, Zelda, Demons Souls, Ni no Kuni, Fable etc

Most PC only games i care about are Kickstarter titles and 2D adventures, this will play on my non gaming PC fine

So, for me only consoles are something i cosider to buy, my PC just exists and will play what i cant play on my PS4/xbox one/3DS

You can be my wingman anytime.

Dmented

Banned
Make it not a pain in the ass and I might start PC gaming again. I just want to start up any game I get and play it with a controller right away. No mouse needed, ever.

That would be Valve's focus at the moment. Big Picture Mode is shaping up quite nicely.

Gamers: Nvidia should not limit their options to those who cannot afford $1000 GPUS; AMD cards is the way to go

Good thing Nvidia makes cheaper products too and aren't the only GPU manufacturer.

pa22word

Consumers don't see that. I guarantee you

Highly disagree. I've not paid more than $37.50 for a preorder on a PC game in years, and a lot of the time I'll hold off 6 months and get that game that was just retailing for $60 on consoles for $15 or less on a good steal sale. This isn't even factoring in the loads of free games I've recieved just for placing a damned preorder in the first place, or humble bundles where you can get 5-8 AAA titles for ~6$.

As a PC gamer you simply pay less for games vs a console gamer. Why? Competition of an open market vs a closed one on consoles, lower overhead in general. That last bit is particularly important to understand as it's long been rumored that Valve takes 1/3 of the sales' price on steam whereas on retail pubs/devs only earn back roughly a 1/3 of the list price. This means that at a discounted $40 release (like Dark Souls) on PC earns pubs/devs /more/ per sale than a $60 retail AAA game on the console front.

Being a PC gamer is simply more economical for everyone, period, and that's why we see better prices.

I tried to do that this gen. Came to the conlusion that PC Gaming is just not for me.

I see the appeal, but it's just not my kinda thing.

I don't have a lot of time to game, so testing performance, updating drivers and troubleshooting are all things I prefer to avoid.

In that sense, console gaming was made for me. Even if it is a little more expensive in the long run.
You just insert the disc and play. If there's an update it installs automatically, and I can be sure that my game is running just as the developer intended.

I don't know about you but I don't game on my PC for 6 years without any upgrade. Also, I can get 5 years worth of PS+ today for $150 and many games on PS360 cheaper than $20 a pop. That doesn't count free games that Sony will be giving away for PS+ subscriber.

Top Bottom