• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Smokey

EVGA is out here sellin church sweet tea, breh.

CHURCH sweet tea. The reaction is as expected. lol

lol it's crazy

They legit fuked up with the 1070/1080 ACX situation, and here we are some time later with money being thrown at the screen on these cards, that most likely won't hit till end of April

Their hustle game is strong

lol it's crazy

They legit fuked up with the 1070/1080 ACX situation, and here we are some time later with money being thrown at the screen on these cards, that most likely won't hit till end of April

they out here hustling based on pictures and promises like Star Citizen

take notes

Orion514

So, I have an MSI 980Ti Gaming 6GB. Are the FTW's dimensions bigger most likely? (3 fans and all, so I wasn't sure.)

I'm debating jumping on a 2 fan model or wait now for FTW's to come back in stock.

tokkun

MSI's Gaming non-X is essentially a card with reference clocks but custom cooler, so it's more a product for those who prefer manual OC on a cheaper card to the one coming from factory but still prefer to have a good cooling solution by default.

There is always a worry that they are binning chips and putting the slower ones in the non-factory-OC'd cards.

Weevilone

lol it's crazy

They took care of it in a variety of ways.

Heck affected customers ended up getting ICX replacements for $100 (less EVGA bucks from folding) and are getting stepped up to Ti for another $20-30. I'll be into a 1080Ti for less than $700 and I got to use a 1080 since release, all thanks to that mess.

I took a quick look for any water cooled variants and not to my surprise, there are none. Is there any news about water cooled models? I know they get released later after the initial batch and I'm too scared to install a manual water cooling system on a GPU lol. I fell in love with my MSI Hydro 1080, strictly beause it runs very quietly.

twisted89

I took a quick look for any water cooled variants and not to my surprise, there are none. Is there any news about water cooled models? I know they get released later after the initial batch and I'm too scared to install a manual water cooling system on a GPU lol. I fell in love with my MSI Hydro 1080, strictly beause it runs very quietly.

Assuming you mean there are no watercooled versions already out? Because there's a couple on pre-order ie GeForce GTX 1080Ti Sea Hawk X

Mutant

They took care of it in a variety of ways.

Heck affected customers ended up getting ICX replacements for $100 (less EVGA bucks from folding) and are getting stepped up to Ti for another $20-30. I'll be into a 1080Ti for less than $700 and I got to use a 1080 since release, all thanks to that mess.
EVGA'S cards are, compared to the others, par~subparish but their customer service are like no other and when I'm buying computer parts that's frankly the most important part.

Smokey

I'm ride or die with EVGA, except when I cheated on em with the Strix 1070 because of their VRM issue. I got two of their FE cards!

I'm just saying...They def got the sauce when it comes to their GPUs even after they have a PR disaster

I'll always defer to them because of their customer service. I'll take a little performance hit for the peace of mind that if my $500+ part has an issue, they won't fuking fight me to the grave.

jrcbandit

lol it's crazy

Huh? EVGA never screwed up like you said. The 1070/1080s were perfectly normal and the thermal pad/bios updates were only done because of scare tactics/panics on reddit, NeoGaf, etc so EVGA felt they had to do some PR to combat the fake news. An independent source showed that the EVGA 1070s/1080s had no thermal issues that would lead to failure. The people who had failing cards were because of a bad batch of capacitors? or whatever component it was, and such a failure rate was typical of every other video card vendor, although I think most of the bad components went into FTW cards.

Weevilone

Huh? EVGA never screwed up like you said. The 1070/1080s were perfectly normal and the thermal pad/bios updates were only done because of scare tactics/panics on reddit, NeoGaf, etc so EVGA felt they had to do some PR to combat the fake news. An independent source showed that the EVGA 1070s/1080s had no thermal issues that would lead to failure. The people who had failing cards were because of a bad batch of capacitors? or whatever component it was, and such a failure rate was typical of every other video card vendor, although I think most of the bad components went into FTW cards.

I tend to agree with all of this, as that's how I perceived it too. Regardless, they weathered a PR storm and they made good for people who were concerned about it.

paskowitz

EVGA customer service is legit. Ironically, I had an issue with my Asus mobo, Asus didn't believe me and thought it was my PSU, I then I had to get EVGA to prove it wasn't the PSU, they did by RMAing it and sending it back with a report, no questions asked, then Asus finally relented and fixed my fucking mobo.

I mean... which company would you rather give your money to???? Lol. Not even close.

Weevilone

EVGA customer service is legit. Ironically, I had an issue with my Asus mobo, Asus didn't believe me and thought it was my PSU, I then I had to get EVGA to prove it wasn't the PSU, they did by RMAing it and sending it back with a report, no questions asked, then Asus finally relented and fixed my fucking mobo.

I mean... which company would you rather give your money to???? Lol. Not even close.

I started to reply with a bunch of detailed stuff I've been thru but suffice it to say Asus has not been good to me. I'm about to RMA a motherboard to them too, or try anyways. I had a DOA MSI card and they straight up recommended I go thru the vendor b/c it would take them forever.

JCH!

Went ahead and preordered the FTW3. Will cancel it if the Strix shows up before, though.

I don't want to wait until May.

...speaking of, I just got my ICX upgrade. Any thoughts on when products typically appear on their Step-Up list? I did the upgrade solely for the Step-Up possibility, but would like to avoid the Founders, if possible.

Weevilone

...speaking of, I just got my ICX upgrade. Any thoughts on when products typically appear on their Step-Up list? I did the upgrade solely for the Step-Up possibility, but would like to avoid the Founders, if possible.

I'd peruse the EVGA forum around the time of the 1080 launch. There were some threads about this that would have historical data.

My recollection is that you could only step up to the cards with reference PCB. That would have either been the FE or the base level ACX card. That's just what I recall from the periphery.

My ICX card should ship to me this week. I'm already using a FE 1080Ti so I'm not sure if I'll return it, SLI, sell one... decisions.

jayvo

Damn! Was too busy at work to pre-order the FTW3. Don't know if I should wait for more to show up or just order the SC one that is still available.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
April 17th? But I want stuff by no later than end of next week. I'll be getting an S8 before my GPU at this point.

Doesn't matter I guess.. people just keep on buying!

I haven't used anything ASUS in any of my builds besides the VG24 144hz that lasted me quite a long time. Tjeir mobos have given me tons of issues in the past.

I tried them again with the PG279Q and had tons of dead pixels and bad bleed on 2 monitors so I just went with Acer.

Will give them one last chance with the 1080ti STRIX.

Orion514

You guys talked me into EVGA with all this talk about customer service. It's just a little too late as FTW3 is sold out, haha.

Time to wait for Amazon posting. Any expected ETA's on that?

Compsiox

Banned
I haven't used anything ASUS in any of my builds besides the VG24 144hz that lasted me quite a long time. Tjeir mobos have given me tons of issues in the past.

I tried them again with the PG279Q and had tons of dead pixels and bad bleed on 2 monitors so I just went with Acer.

Holy shit I would have ended it there.

The light bleed on my monitor from them is pretty bad. I had it sent in and they did absolutely nothing at all. They were like oh yeah man, send it in we'll take a look.

Wallach

Where did Asus mention the Strix release date was estimated to be April 17th? Disappointing because I'll need a card a bit before then.

Anything yet on the Inno iChill cards?

That's not for the STRIX, it's for EVGA's SC cards. The FTW3 is estimated for May 1st.

ASUS hasn't given a date other than "March", which is almost over.

Kevin

That's not for the STRIX, it's for EVGA's SC cards. The FTW3 is estimated for May 1st.

ASUS hasn't given a date other than "March", which is almost over.

Alright thanks for clarification. So you're telling me there is still a chance! lol

Unfortunate, I've definitely heard a ton of shitty stories with their customer service. I have a PG348Q and a Strix GTX 1080...both are kicking ass...hope they continue to do so haha.

I'm contemplating if selling my 1080 and getting a 1080 ti would be worth it. 11GB of VRAM is definitely beneficial for 3440x1440 but....I'm getting more than adequate performance with my 1080. Hmmm, I'm leaning more to keeping it.

Does MSI Afterburner (v4.3.0.9267) report the correct clocks for the 1080 Ti?

My EVGA FE came in the mail today and right away reported 1837 MHz for the core during a Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark. According to everything I've been able to find, reference boost clock is 1582 MHz. A little adjustment to max power and fan speeds and I pushed it to 2000 MHz with no artifacting and just stopped. Surely this is some kind of software bug, right? Those are water cooling levels of OC. The memory reports correctly at 5508 MHz.

Weevilone

To be fair I've never had to deal with their cs even though I've bought so much stuff from them over the past 10 or so years. Never had something break or not work.

I guess for everyone like you there's someone that has everything break.

I've had a DOA motherboard, a motherboard that broke after a few weeks, and fast forward a few years, another DOA motherboard.

There was also a time when their Thunderbolt card didn't ship with a cable that was needed, and their motherboards didn't include it either. They wouldn't help in any way.

Just imagine that their support doesn't exist and you'll be pretty close.

Mutant

Oh! I will warn that with EVGA, with the 980 ti, they binned their cards and the ones that overclocked better were used in the more expensive variants like the KINGPIN while the weaker ones are put in the SC and FTW.

The 980 ti FTW specifically was criticized that it barely overclocked past its factory oc.

Oh! I will warn that with EVGA, with the 980 ti, they binned their cards and the ones that overclocked better were used in the more expensive variants like the KINGPIN while the weaker ones are put in the SC and FTW.

The 980 ti FTW specifically was criticized that it barely overclocked past its factory oc.

Is there any proof of this? I had an 980ti sc which had no problem reaching 1500 boost stable with a custom bios. My hybrid 980ti which is basically an sc with an AIO boosted to 1526 stable with a custom bios. Those are decent speeds for 980ti's.

I thought Kingpins are designed to overclock higher because of the extra power connection, extra phases, special software like the classified controller, etc.

Grassy

They didn't bin all their cards, they only offered binned variants of the Kingpin based on ASIC Quality - http://www.evga.com/articles/00944/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-KINGPIN/

Both my 980 Ti SC's overclock from ~1110mhz base to ~1550mhz on the core.

m29a

Neo Member
I guess for everyone like you there's someone that has everything break.

If you look up failure rates for components, nearly all average around 5%, if that.

Puget systems posts a yearly "Most Reliable PC Hardware" article on their site with plenty of information on this.

Bad experiences are more likely to be posted about as opposed to satisfactory experiences.

I'm certainly not trying to diminish your personal experience, but I felt it'd be useful to clarify this, for anyone who is concerned about this stuff.

Top Bottom