• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Are they talking about some actual performance they've seen or just speculation based on hardware specs?

If he's saying that nvidia has potential production silicon and someone showed him what they had, then I would hope he's talking about real performance. (though maybe cherry picked examples due to drivers not being ready)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, it's a bad time to be building a high end machine.
GTX 580 came out in 2010
Radeon 7970 is out but everyone complains about the drivers
Kepler won't arrive for 3 months, but BF3 is here today with ultra settings

First world problems I guess

If he's saying that nvidia has potential production silicon and someone showed him what they had, then I would hope he's talking about real performance. (though maybe cherry picked examples due to drivers not being ready)

I'm asking because there have certainly be instances in the past with CPUs and GPUs where the silicon looked good on paper but real world performance didn't match. I'm also not saying the Kepler top card isn't possibly going to be the most powerful, it just seemed strange he didn't actually mention seeing it in action running some software before proclaiming how powerful it is going to be.

Dennis

Banned
Call me when nVidia allows Multi Monitor setups to run on one GPU, I drive this with 1*6950 :

B0nQP.jpg

Two is multi monitor.....

I am waiting to see how this turns out.

My 5850 is still giving decent performance, so hopefully when this comes out prices will be cheaper and will choose either Nvidia or AMD.

Would be nice to play Batman AC with Physx on high though.

artist

Banned
lol @ the upset people about the spoiler-tagging. Only a few like Dennis got it. ;)

The "big" news here is that a smaller chip from Nvidia is "handily" winning against AMD's top-end. And Nvidia being known for power-hungry, power hogs, power frying, have come out with a better perf/watt chip than AMD. And if you know a little bit of background about Charlie, he was saying Fermi would lose out to Cypress and it ended up 10-15% faster. If he's saying "handily" wins that means the performance gap is quite significant ..

Yoritomo

I think the GK 104 is the second tier chip. IE the 560 TI or in this case probably the 760.

Maybe it's just winning in performance per watt, because if the GK104 beats a 7970 then the GK110 will be ludicrous.

Cipherr

Ive got no allegiance to either of them. Whoever is best at the time gets my dollar. I do however hope that Nvidia supports more than 2 monitors on a single card in the future though. Im going up to 3 screens on new build once Haswell drops, Im still not a fan of 2 card setups.

x3sphere

why do people buy top end amd cards over nvidia ones?

im genuinely interested, because from what i've seen nvidia has better drivers resulting
in better performance, better antialiasing support and compatability with numerous profiles,
and they seem to outperform the amd cards whilst costing around the same.

I need the performance now? Single GTX580 doesn't handle a lot of games adequately at 1600p, HD7970 does.

If the next series from Nvidia destroys an HD7970 I'll definitely sell mine and get one, but I don't expect the price to be reasonable given Nvidia's past history.

Usually buy ATI mid range cards x8xx series but more competition is always welcome. It would be nice to see nvidia back in power/performance game.

Ugh, I just want to upgrade already! I was all set on a 580, then 7970, and now I don't know what to do! I need to upgrade my PC and I don't want to wait until whenever NVidia will release a card comparable to the 7970. Ugh.

Shai-Tan

Banned
top end is too expensive imo. where's the 6950 and 570 replacements? i hope AMD brings a 7950 at a very competitive price range because 570 is still way too expensive. i never buy the top card always the slightly slower one that was binned. when i see people discuss what they a re buying on forums those cards are what they are considering for "high end" not those overpriced $500 cards. the only reason I went SLI/CF this time is for Battlefield 3 to be smooth

Smokey

Ugh, I just want to upgrade already! I was all set on a 580, then 7970, and now I don't know what to do! I need to upgrade my PC and I don't want to wait until whenever NVidia will release a card comparable to the 7970. Ugh.

i feel for you brah lol

circles...they keep going

Shai-Tan

Banned

plan the purchase around the games you will play then it wont be that big a deal. the only reason it's kind of sucky this time is a single card doesn't handle BF3 without slowdown until 7970. but i would have regret the game time I lost if I waited until only a few weeks ago to get a new video card setup

Jtrizzy

You'd be crazy not to just wait imo.

Also, I keep seeing people say that it's easy to sell used GPU's. I guess I'll be selling my TFII 1.5 580 when this card comes out. Any advice on this or are people just selling them to friends?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Would be nice. Better performance AND drivers that aren't complete shit.

Convenient that I'm planning to upgrade when these hit, I suppose.

xemumanic

It's been a while since I posted this tidbit in the other thread, but I just don't get it...........I dunno, something is off beyond the obvious.

But I'm tired of the he says she says, I want to see the real deal. Unfortunately, everything that I've read thus far has said it'll be a little while before its time for that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why is it so taboo to just prefer AMD over Nvidia?

When someone prefers something for no rhyme or reason, they'll get criticized for it.

For me, AMD has been the clear leader in terms of performance/price and multimonitor setups, and NVidia has more flexibility when it comes to custom driver settings for games, as well as better support for older titles and even some newer titles.

kenta

Has no PEINS
In some cases, it comes close. Here is overclocked 7970 [fantastic 30% boost] vs factory overclocked 580.

1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_7_2.gif
Why is there only a 30% chance that benchmarks like this will include a Source game. Couldn't give less of a crap about whatever engine an F1 game is on, but every benchmark test seems to go out of their way to include it or crap like it

Sethos

Banned
Why is there only a 30% chance that benchmarks like this will include a Source game. Couldn't give less of a crap about whatever engine an F1 game is on, but every benchmark test seems to go out of their way to include it or crap like it

Because the Source engine isn't very demanding any more.

Lucius86

Banned

Because the Ego engine is quite a modern engine in comparison, and people want a variety of benchmarks?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I sure hope so.
I want AMD to lower prices much sooner; Nvidia to follow sooner. Both introduce mid-tier cards sooner; both introduce their real beasts right after that. Let the cycle continue.

1-D_FTW

Hopefully this will push down prices of the mid-range cards so i can try SLI.
My GTX 460 is EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE as it was when i bought it 14 months ago.
What the fuck?!

How much did you pay for it?

I've seen plenty of deals on slickdeals. 768MB (which I'm sure you don't have) have been as low as 80 and they've had a 1GB MSI for 100 multiple times.

Just a ton of deals late last year.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Because the Ego engine is quite a modern engine in comparison, and people want a variety of benchmarks?
Odd because "a variety of benchmarks" feels like what I'm hoping to see

Is there a site that compiles benchmarks from all of these sites into one place? So I can see what kind of card I need to get if I want a specific game or engine to perform at a certain level?

Theonik

Because source doesn't really stress modern GPUs all that much and as a result it makes for a poor comparison given performance tends to be limited by other factors then.

Top Bottom