• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Sethos

Banned
Still waiting for some of their PhysX destruction demos to be released, the ray tracing demo as well.

It's actually funny how big these tech demos were a few years ago, basically the entire foundation for GPU launches and now they're gone, poof nothing and we get some rehash demo 3 months later.

mr stroke

690 can suck it

ASUS Mars III with 8gb of RAM :eek:

daZgI.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...RAM?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Please be $1000 or less, I would love to find one of these

Arucardo

Oh wow, three 8-pin connectors :eek:

There's no way it's $1000 or less, more like $1500 give or take a hundred. All the earlier Mars cards have been super expensive.

cilonen

Well, I'm back on the 690 wait train. I can't see any difference between the EVGA 690 standard and the EVGA 690 signature though, is there a difference in the actual hardware or is it mostly about the pack-ins (t-shirt etc.) you get with the signature edition?

Arucardo

Well, I'm back on the 690 wait train. I can't see any difference between the EVGA 690 standard and the EVGA 690 signature though, is there a difference in the actual hardware or is it mostly about the pack-ins (t-shirt etc.) you get with the signature edition?

Nvidia isn't allowing anyone to modify the 690, every card is the same (reference) so yeah, pack-ins and warranty(not even sure if you do get a better warranty right away with the sig. edition) are the only differences I guess.

cilonen

Nvidia isn't allowing anyone to modify the 690, every card is the same (reference) so yeah, pack-ins and warranty(not even sure if you do get a better warranty right away with the sig. edition) are the only differences I guess.

Cheers, I did go for the regular, glad to know the hardware's the same. Now I just have to grind out the wait.

Smokey

Got my 690 in, did some Heaven 3.0 benchmarking:

690 @ 1920x1080 = 81.5 fps
690 @ 2560x1600 = 54.7fps

I have the 690 at stock right now. Need to change the airflow in my 500r. Right now there are 2 intake fans in the front, and that pushes right into the exhaust at one end of the 690. I get temps in the 70s with the stock clocks, and I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it. MKeynon mentioned he made those fans exhausts and the fans at the top of the case intakes and that really helped his temps.

For now though I'm cool with the stock. The Dell U3011 is 60hz anyway, unlike my previous 120hz monitor where I wanted to get as close to 120fps as possible and OC was necessary. The 690 runs every game I've thrown at it at 60fps at 2560x1600.

690 can suck it

ASUS Mars III with 8gb of RAM :eek:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...RAM?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Please be $1000 or less, I would love to find one of these

0% chance of this happening. The 690 is $1000, I'd put the Mars card at $1,700 at the cheapest. Remember the price of the Mars II card versus the 590.

I just got the signature edition, here's what the extra $50 gets you:

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg
<--mousepad

You also get a poster. Other than that stuff the card is the exact same. Shirt is pretty cool though.

REV 09

I guess Asus is taking the too-aggressive overclock issue with the 670 top seriously- its been deactivated on newegg
I am disappointed that I can't Overclock mine further, but it seems to be perfectly stable at factory settings with a custom fan profile....I'll just hang onto it. Max boost is 1229.

Chris R

I haven't had any issues with my card either at stock speeds. Granted I've jumped in and out never playing more than 45 minutes at any given time.

Sucks that some people are having issues though.

MrBig

Yeah, as long as you have a good gpu there are absolutely no issues, its the best 670 available. It's just their binning process that's a pos

screenshot2.jpg

Unf, Dawn 2012 demo revealed on nvidia's geforce gaming site thingy: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/new-dawn/

edit:I think this looks good in quoted picture, but high resolution does this harm.
why must developers put the camera so close. We get it, you used a high resolution face texture. Too bad the rest of the picture looks horrible. The hair doesn't look like hair. The wood looks like moldy paint. The wings are pixelated. Couldn't even be bothered to work on the seam on the arm, then proceed to move the arm so the seam is facing the camera.

demigod

I am disappointed that I can't Overclock mine further, but it seems to be perfectly stable at factory settings with a custom fan profile....I'll just hang onto it. Max boost is 1229.

I really doubt yours is stable. I could barely get +10 on mine before returning it. If you play MMOs or game for 3-4 hours on PC, its best if you leave it overnight looping Heaven to find out if yours is stable or not. Chances are its not.

2nd day I've seen the Asus 680 Non Top up on Newegg, too bad its not the Top or i'd get that.

PowerK

Played Witcher 2 EE recently.
This is one beautiful game. Pure eye-candy.

I ran everything maxed @ 2560x1600. With Ubersampling enabled, frame rates were essentially halved, it seemed. However, with occasional drop below 60fps, the game was smoothly playable.

I've toggled ubersampling on and off and I had hard time noticing any differences. But at 1600P, I'm guessing I probably won't notice Ubersampling because what it does is add a very extreme high quality level of AA (read SSAA) so being that I'm at 1600P, the image lines are already so sharp and defined it really can't get a whole lot better than that.

Also this game gave me the highest record on GPU temp so far (~95C) wow.
Quad-SLI scaling seems to be excellent. Utilization on all 4 GPUs were always hovering around 95~99%.

cilonen

I just got the signature edition, here's what the extra $50 gets you:

...snip Hardware Pron pics...

You also get a poster. Other than that stuff the card is the exact same. Shirt is pretty cool though.

Now that is some good swag - events overtook me though; Scan (UK) have been left hanging by EVGA since the 25th of May for standard 690's and 30th for signature 690's although they did mail me to let me know they had Gainward cards in stock so I bit. It arrived this morning and it's gorgeous. Everything's at 120FPS and 120Hz now, just so smooth.

It's also quite a bit quieter than my 7970 too.

Thing is, I might build a mATX / HTPC based around the 7970 now...

DTKT

Gigabyte card = coil whine
Asus TOP card = crashes when the boosts kicks in
EVGA SC and OC = mechanical noise due to the PCB design.

:|

mhayze

For those, in the know, what's the best 670 card to get?

I'm planning a build for a family member, it will probably be in a FT03 case - vertical mount. I know this has some effect on heatpipes, in case that matters. The quietest card that still has a good chance of staying cool and from a decent company support-wise in case are my biggest criteria.

seems like Gigabyte has the edge from what it seems. I got the EVGA one and i am loving it. takes whatever i throw at it and runs it silky smooth. so happy with my purchase

Smokey

Now that is some good swag - events overtook me though; Scan (UK) have been left hanging by EVGA since the 25th of May for standard 690's and 30th for signature 690's although they did mail me to let me know they had Gainward cards in stock so I bit. It arrived this morning and it's gorgeous. Everything's at 120FPS and 120Hz now, just so smooth.

It's also quite a bit quieter than my 7970 too.

Thing is, I might build a mATX / HTPC based around the 7970 now...

Good stuff. I'm really impressed with the card. Everything about it is top notch, and hell it should be for $1,000. It idles at 35c for me and can run everygame with max settings, 60fps, and at my resolution of 2560x1600.

One card was awesome, two is going to be @%$@%@@some! xD

Looks nice. Is that a Sabertooth mobo?

The drivers for the 600 series cards still has some room to grow. Battlefield 3 MP in particular seems like it could use some work. Overall though I'm happy with it.

Chris R

Found my first issue today... Damn card wont display on my TV for some reason. Works just fine on my monitor, but when I plug it into the open HDMI port on my TV I get no signal :| No idea what is causing it, because when I was using the build in HDMI port on the motherboard everything was working fine. Only thing I can think of is there is some issue with the TV being a 3D tv and the driver detecting that and flipping some setting or something. TV has no issue displaying 1920x1080 60p from other sources, and that is what I'm set at now.

edit: Tried 1920x1080 60p 1920x1080 59p 1280x720 60p all each with and without audio. Shit pisses me off with how simple HDMI is supposed to be. If I unplug my cable and then put it into my monitor the name displayed is PanasonicTV0 so I'm thinking this might just be an issue with my POS tv being a dick and not an issue with the computer or card :|

edit 2: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1696017 I'm not the only person having issues. Going to try the "fixes" the others in that thread have found, as well as using my monitor over DVI WHILE having the tv plugged into the HDMI port to see if that improves the situation at all.

Is there any news on the 660 yet? I want to go Nvidia for a new PC build I'm going to be doing in a month, but I don't plan on spending much more than $300 for a GPU. I really don't want to have to go AMD 7870 if I can help it.

iNvid02

The drivers for the 600 series cards still has some room to grow. Battlefield 3 MP in particular seems like it could use some work. Overall though I'm happy with it.

i heard some 600 cards, mainly 680 but possibly others, are suffering from intermittent stutter on the latest 302.42 drivers.

the problem seems to be totally driver related, and upgrading to the developer 302.59 or the leaked mobile 302.71 solves it.

i upgraded a few days ago to 302.71 and my stuttering was fixed for the 690

and yeah i gotta echo your statements, the 690 is brilliant, quiet, cool and rips through everything today

Smokey

i heard some 600 cards, mainly 680 but possibly others, are suffering from intermittent stutter on the latest 302.42 drivers.

the problem seems to be totally driver related, and upgrading to the developer 302.59 or the leaked mobile 302.71 solves it.

and yeah i gotta echo your statements, the 690 is brilliant, quiet, cool and rips through everything today

That's interesting. I will probably wait until the official driver release before upgrading. Don't like rolling with unofficial stuff. Good sign that it's been fixed for you though.

To get around the stuttering, in BF3 MP at least, I have used the frame rate limiter. I stay locked at 60fps and the GPU's aren't bouncing around in utilization so it stays smooth.

have this problem with the 670, will try those beta drivers

iNvid02

Where do I get the developer drivers? Didnt see anything on the nvidia site

302.59 are developer drivers and can be found from the web only, i dont think you can get them directly from nvidia since your not a dev, here is a reputable source: http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-30259-beta-driver-download/

302.71 are leaked laptop drivers for toshiba - these are not intended for desktop GPUs but by using the modified INF file they will work - here is where i got them from: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29520-v30271-windows-8-64bit-toshiba-mobile/

the biggest risk is with 302.71 because they're laptop drivers, but i've been using them for a few days without any issues and the stuttering is all gone
you can wait it out by turning off vsync and waiting for nvidia to release a proper version of 302.71, or just use these ones with the modified inf file

MrBig

Tried playing Skyrim and it has the stuttering. BF3, Doom 3, Mirrors Edge, and Witcher 2 all had no problems with adaptive vsync on my 670

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I've been running with a Asus 670 Top for a couple of weeks now and haven't had any issues. It's quiet and I've noticed that the room feels cooler than it did when I was running my EVGA 460 Superclocked. I didn't fiddle with any settings or anything like that, though. It was probably the easiest upgrade I've done in my life.

Riggs

Banned
Well my 480 is dead, artifacts everywhere. Falcon sending me a 680, silver lining. Got to wait 3 weeks and cost me $250 bucks. 3 weeks of no pc games, but god damn if that is not a good deal. RIP 480.

sk3tch

Managed to snag 3x of the EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB models...thanks to my Bro and Stepdad also placing orders (limit 1 per household) - just need to nab one more and my quad-SLI upgrade will be complete. Will sell off 3 of my EVGA GTX 680 2GBs and keep 1 for a media center PC.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-3687-KR

I'm hoping NewEgg will get stock this week so I can snag the 4th that way. So excited to have no limit 5760x1080/120hz now!!!

squicken

ha Only here would I have to say I'm a running "just" a single 680 but I'm really enjoying it. Running Max Payne at 1080p@60 looks great. Still not convinced on FXAA. Sure still seems to make textures a little blurry

Ceebs

Saw that Newegg has the 670 Twin Frozr IV up for sale now. Waiting to hear how loud it is compared to the Asus which seems to be perpetually out of stock now. I am going to need some sort of 670 to order on Wednesday.

Top Bottom