• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Riggs

Banned
So EVGA GTX 680 installed and kicking ass!!! Was disappointed with SS3 BFE performance, but apparently that game is one of the few heavily cpu bound titles out there. Still runs good enough.

Reportedly they have a Geforce version of the GK110 waiting for production if AMD out's anything new so that they can stay competitive.

Apparently Sea Islands aka 8000 series taped out recently, so...

7970 looks good in those GE runs but what has me super concerned is the power usage and fan noise. I've read the few reviews out and although it trades blows and beats the 680 on various tests, both the aforementioned items go WAY high up. FWIW.

Dave Baumman said something like, all the retail cards will use quieter aftermarket fans from AIB's though, reference Ghz 7970's wont exist if I understand correctly. Seems a communication issue they should have communicated to reviewers better.

So EVGA GTX 680 installed and kicking ass!!! Was disappointed with SS3 BFE performance, but apparently that game is one of the few heavily cpu bound titles out there. Still runs good enough.

Yeah, Serious Sam 3 runs pretty shitty. Curious how it'll go with two 680's. Though, I guess if it's CPU related, not going to make much difference.

Just wanted to say the beta drivers really smoothed out diablo 3. Huge difference

I've had a similar experience. I am waiting in the EVGA Step Up program to get my 670, with my current EVGA 560 Ti 448 Classified Ultra I used to get weird and random stuttering and issues. Now, I have MSAA 4x and Ambient Occlusion on and its smooth as butter. I have VSYNC set at the application level as well, havent tried adaptive yet.

PowerK

Yeah, Serious Sam 3 runs pretty shitty. Curious how it'll go with two 680's. Though, I guess if it's CPU related, not going to make much difference.

What makes you guys think Serious Sam 3 BFE is CPU bound game? I haven't played it for a several weeks now. But last time I checked, performance was good (although SLI scaling wasn't that great).

What makes you guys think Serious Sam 3 BFE is CPU bound game? I haven't played it for a several weeks now. But last time I checked, performance was good (although SLI scaling wasn't that great).

It is a cpu bound game. In the Steam forums, Croteam commented that in certain scenes, it's very much cpu bound.

Startup of "iron cloud" is CPU-bound. But I do get some positive xfire scaling (FPS went from 42 to 50.) That's on 6990.
590 GTX got 48 to 58.

Please note that this also shows that NV drivers are better optimized CPU-wise.

So, yes, in areas that are CPU-bound, your GPU utilization will be (way) below 100%, that's normal.

First 680 should arrive tomorrow! I hope the second arrives by the end of the week.

I have no clue if it's CPU bound, he said it, I believe him.

I have 2500k, 8 gigs ram, and 560 ti's Sli. The game still runs pretty crappy without a lot of the settings even cranked to max.

Riggs

Banned

It is, did a lot of reading up on this game. Check the net it's definitely cpu bound.

On beginning of Iron Clad I took everything to low settings, still at 1080P. Cranked up to Ultra, there was like a 5 fps-10fps change. Now that does not mean it's cpu bound I suppose. But I read up on performance issues with this game for a good hour and everyone seems to have come to the conclusion that it's bound by the cpu.

dLMN8R

Maybe, but I'm betting it's simply a matter of the experience of the developers. It's a small team that doesn't have much experience making a ton of games, so there are probably a huge number of inefficiencies that put extra stress on the CPU instead of taking advantage of GPUs to off-load a lot of that. Easier to do, and it lets them release an astoundingly beautiful game on a small budget.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys. I currently have an ATI 5870 in my case. My case is this one....

CA-102-TT_400.jpg

74001_small.jpg

Thermaltake CS M9 VI1000BWS Mid Tower mATX/ATX 9x5.25"" Drive Bays.

Will this case fit an Nvidia EVGA FTW GTX 680 4GB?

Eideka

Banned
Yes it will. But I were in your shoes I would opt for a GC with a blower cooler because it will get very hot inside your case.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Yes it will. But I were in your shoes I would opt for a GC with a blower cooler because it will get very hot inside your case.

Thanks. What is a blower cooler? Link? Pic?

I already have two very good fans in the case and it's pretty good. Hopefully it won't be too hot in there.

kamspy

Checking in after approx 1 month ownership of a GTX 680.

I'll preface it with my PC specs. I've got a Thuban 6 core Phenom II, BIOS tweaked to turn off all the frequency changing. It runs 3.8Ghz constant, on 6 Phenom II cores. Wish a blog would benchmark it. It's actually beastly.

EVGA GTX 680 OC. I cranked all the sliders in Precision X and it never reaches 1.2Ghz, but it get's close. 1180s. 8 GB RAM yada yada, regular 7200prm hdd. W7 x64 and all that.

Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 580 with the EVGA custom cooler (universally defective, I might add, the fans buzz on -all- of them).

OK. The 680 is dramatically smaller than my 580 and old 275 (which is bigger than the 580 o_O). It's a reference fan design, which I think I'm going back to. I always get really small mid tower cases, and the CPU-esque HSF that all these companies are making doesn't do as well as the reference, exhaust based cooling system, IME. The 680 has never reached 80c, and the fan has never been noticeable over my CPU fan. Very nice. My 275 had the same exhaust based system, but the fan was much louder. My 580 fans buzzed ( a quick speed change would fix it) so the 680 really wins here. Temps are great. The 580 seemed to get insanely hot in games that I used control panel/Inspector SSAA. Talking 98c hot, and my case is clean with good airflow (aforementioned Phenom II doesn't hit 50c).

So aside from being really cool and quiet, it's perfectly stable. I don't really understand how to overclock it, but there aren't many games it can't eat anyways. BF3 yada yada.

Also, I swear to god, I don't know why, but the text on my desktop is clearer and overall better looking. I don't know if Nvidia did some things with the core IQ software in the chips, but yeah, I never had that reaction after installing a new GPU.

The ship sailed on selling a 580 for a good price and doing a cheap upgrade, but I'm happy I got in where I did (got $300 out of mine). To me it's a worthy update for the heat factor, and I'd like to add a third monitor to my set up sometime. 580 can only push 2.

So yeah, for a first generation architecture, Kepler is nice. Where Fermi was more raw power, muscle car type of GPU, Kepler is more like a Porsche.

mkenyon

Banned
Bit OT.

I am looking for a quiet power supply and case.

At the moment mine sounds like a jet plane.
Go over to the I Need a New PC thread, have a look at the OP cases.

Quiet computers are a component choice as much as a case. The low end of the spectrum you have the BitFenix Shinobi. Go a bit higher and then there's the Fractal Define R3, which is a great piece of kit.

Then you want low RPM 120mm fans, like NoiseBlockers, low RPM Yate Loons/Scythe, various Noctuas, or Bitfenix Spectre/Spectre Pros.

You also want a decent CPU cooler with low fin density so you can get good performance from low RPM fans.

Finally you want a videocard that has a great aftermarket cooler. MSI Twin Frozr II, ASUS DCII, and the Gigabyte ones are great.

The 600T is actually quite loud in comparison. The 200mm fans that come stock on it are pretty terrible, and the grille design to hold the filters in place cause a ton of turbulence which creates additional noise.

For quiet PSU's, you can't get better than the Corsair AX/Seasonic X (both the same, made by Seasonic). The fan doesnt even spin unless it's under load. Even if it is, it is still whisper quiet.

PowerK

It is, did a lot of reading up on this game. Check the net it's definitely cpu bound.

On beginning of Iron Clad I took everything to low settings, still at 1080P. Cranked up to Ultra, there was like a 5 fps-10fps change. Now that does not mean it's cpu bound I suppose. But I read up on performance issues with this game for a good hour and everyone seems to have come to the conclusion that it's bound by the cpu.
Check the net ? Hehe..

I've just a had round of SS3 in Iron Cloud, I've never seen my FPS below 60 frames per second. (adpative v-sync) It was butter smooth. This is at 2560x1600 everything maxed with nvcp forced 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA (in-game FXAA turned off). 3770K @ 4.5GHz + 16GB 2133MHz + GTX 690 Quad-SLI.

Arucardo

New beta drivers came out today:

GeForce 304.79 Driver
This is the second beta driver from the R304 family of drivers and the first GeForce driver to combine support for Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista into a single driver.

New in 304.79 Drivers:

Adds support for NVIDIA TXAA
NVIDIA TXAA is new film-style anti-aliasing technique designed specifically to reduce temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering in motion) through a combination of hardware AA, custom CG film style AA resolve, and a temporal filter.
The Secret World is the first game to support TXAA (support will be enabled in an upcoming patch)..
TXAA is supported on GeForce GTX 600-series Kepler-based GPUs.
Learn more about TXAA on GeForce.com.
New SLI Support
Adds or updates the following SLI profiles:

The Secret World - added
End of Nations - added
Nexuiz (also provided earlier via NVIDIA Update)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier (also provided earlier via NVIDIA Update)
Tornado Force - added
Tribes: Ascend - updated
Key Fixes
Fixed a compatibility issue with Civilization V and GeForce 400/500 series GPUs
Fixed instances of flickering or missing mouse cursor when hardware cursor is enabled (reported with Aion, World of Warcraft, Eve Online and others).
Fixed instances of very low frame rates in Deus Ex: Human Revolution (DX11).
Fixed an issue that caused a PC reboot instead of a PC shut down.
Fixed an issue that led to a black screen after driver installation.
Power management mode settings now persist across driver overinstalls.
New in R304 Drivers (Introduced previously with 304.48 drivers):

Performance Boost – Increases performance for GeForce 400/500/600 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 301.42 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:
GeForce GTX 680:
Up to 18% in Batman: Arkham City
Up to 15% in Dragon Age II
Up to 10% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Up to 60% in Total War: Shogun 2 (fixes performance issue with latest game patch)
GeForce GTX 560:
Up to 14% in Batman: Arkham City
Up to 5% in Battlefield 3 with SLI
Up to 4% in Dragon Age II
Up to 8% in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings with SLI
Up to 7% in Lost Planet 2
Key Fixes
Fixes an intermittent vsync stuttering issue with GeForce GTX 600-series GPUs.
Fixes an issue where some manufacturer’s factory overclocked cards default to and run at lower clocks.
Fixes a performance issue in Total War: Shogun 2 with the latest game patch.
NVIDIA SLI Technology – Adds or updates the following SLI profiles:
Spec Ops: The Line
PlanetSide 2
F1 2011 – updated profile
Final Fantasy XIV – updated profile
Saints Row: The Third – updated profile
Torchlight II
Tribes: Ascend
NVIDIA 3D Vision – Adds or updates the following 3D Vision profiles:
Alan Wake's American Nightmare – rated Poor
Borderlands 2 – updated profile with new convergence settings
Depth Hunter – updated rating to 3D Vision Ready
Mass Effect 3 – updated in-game compatibility message and profile to be more compatible with community 3D mods
Max Payne 3 – updated rating to Excellent and updated in-game compatibility message to inform users to use DirectX 11, disable MSAA and use SSA0.
Street Fighter X Tekken – rated 3D Vision Ready
Tiger Woods PGA 12: The Masters – rated Good
Tribes: Ascend – rated Fair
The Walking Dead – rating Good
Other Profile Updates
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for Diablo III
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for L.A. Noire
Added NVIDIA Control Panel antialiasing support for Rayman Origins
Added NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for Star Wars: The Old Republic
Disabled FXAA for several Windows programs like Media Player and Movie Maker.
NVIDIA Surround
Surround settings now persisted after new driver overinstall.
NVIDIA CUDA
Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5 Preview or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit. More information at http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Hoping these fix my crashes with Civ5 diplomacy scenes.

EDIT: Yup, fixed it :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Hmm something is amiss. Got my GTX 680 today, 4gb. Getting much lower performance in games than in benches. Downloading g heaven now to try it out. I know that for now, my fps is about the same as my 480.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm dying waiting for more news on the GK112. Fuuuuuck.

Hmm something is amiss. Got my GTX 680 today, 4gb. Getting much lower performance in games than in benches. Downloading g heaven now to try it out. I know that for now, my fps is about the same as my 480.
Yikes. Try a complete uninstall and reinstall on drivers?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea, going to do a full re-install of windows tomorrow. Was playing Crysis 2 with DX11 and hi-res texture packs installed. Getting 20ish fps@ 1080p.

G-Unit

Ok PC gaf. I thinking of switching VC.

I kinda like Atis but i always choose the best bang for the buck and that seems to be the 670. But at the same time, I kinda like to keep myself at the top of the line, so the 680 sounds like the right choice.

I would pick a 7970 but i heard for the price is not worth it, and also the GHz models seems to be noisy.

BTW the reason i doubt the 670 is because My country is really warm so there is a lot less room for OC

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have to have a bad card or something. Running more test, this 680 is slower/the same performance as my 480 in most games and a little faster in a few.

Checking in after approx 1 month ownership of a GTX 680.

I'll preface it with my PC specs. I've got a Thuban 6 core Phenom II, BIOS tweaked to turn off all the frequency changing. It runs 3.8Ghz constant, on 6 Phenom II cores. Wish a blog would benchmark it. It's actually beastly.

EVGA GTX 680 OC. I cranked all the sliders in Precision X and it never reaches 1.2Ghz, but it get's close. 1180s. 8 GB RAM yada yada, regular 7200prm hdd. W7 x64 and all that.

Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 580 with the EVGA custom cooler (universally defective, I might add, the fans buzz on -all- of them).

OK. The 680 is dramatically smaller than my 580 and old 275 (which is bigger than the 580 o_O). It's a reference fan design, which I think I'm going back to. I always get really small mid tower cases, and the CPU-esque HSF that all these companies are making doesn't do as well as the reference, exhaust based cooling system, IME. The 680 has never reached 80c, and the fan has never been noticeable over my CPU fan. Very nice. My 275 had the same exhaust based system, but the fan was much louder. My 580 fans buzzed ( a quick speed change would fix it) so the 680 really wins here. Temps are great. The 580 seemed to get insanely hot in games that I used control panel/Inspector SSAA. Talking 98c hot, and my case is clean with good airflow (aforementioned Phenom II doesn't hit 50c).

So aside from being really cool and quiet, it's perfectly stable. I don't really understand how to overclock it, but there aren't many games it can't eat anyways. BF3 yada yada.

Also, I swear to god, I don't know why, but the text on my desktop is clearer and overall better looking. I don't know if Nvidia did some things with the core IQ software in the chips, but yeah, I never had that reaction after installing a new GPU.

The ship sailed on selling a 580 for a good price and doing a cheap upgrade, but I'm happy I got in where I did (got $300 out of mine). To me it's a worthy update for the heat factor, and I'd like to add a third monitor to my set up sometime. 580 can only push 2.

So yeah, for a first generation architecture, Kepler is nice. Where Fermi was more raw power, muscle car type of GPU, Kepler is more like a Porsche.

My setup is almost the same, except my CPU is clocked a little higher at 4ghz. I get terrible performance out of this thing. STALKER complete running sub 60fps, Witcher 2 in the 20s, CRysis 2 in the 20s, Shogun 2 in the 30s. This is all maxed out and@ 1080p. These things are supposed to be able to go on 3 monitor setups. I put one on and was getting 5fps in everything I tried.

dLMN8R

Cool, it sounds like those new NVIDIA drivers should both fix my Adaptive AA-related stuttering issues in Diablo 3, and fix Tribes Ascend where no AA method except for FXAA would work at all.

I'm checking this thread everyday just for some news on that fucking card.

It seems to be delayed till July (duh) or August now.

But oh yeah, one rumor is they had too many 570's left and are waiting for them to clear out first.

Plus I'm not even sure what form it will take. Are Nvidia going to drop a rumored even further chopped down GK104 at $300 next, or an actual new mid range chip?

The sad thing Nvidia has enough fanboys they probably dont have to do anything. I bet 670 sells as much as AMD's whole lineup. And $400 is the new $200, inflation and all. $400 is actually a sort of mid range card now.

MrBig

The sad thing Nvidia has enough fanboys they probably dont have to do anything. I bet 670 sells as much as AMD's whole lineup. And $400 is the new $200, inflation and all. $400 is actually a sort of mid range card now.

what did i just read???????????????

isamu

Welcome me to the club buys :)

Got my EVGA FTW GTX680 4GB last week. Games run phenomenally. Crysis w/hi-res pack @ 1080p = 55-60fps almost all the time. Gonna try the new beta drivers.

Quick question....does this EVGA FTW 6804GB card come factory overclocked? If not, can I proceed to overclock it and if so, up to how fast?

Shambles

According to PCPer mid-range Kepler should be out in 'August' so it's going to be more waiting for those looking for the GTX 660.

670 is hardly a mid range card either ... lol.

Compared to what AMD has in the market no, looking at it's design and what was likely originally planned yes, GK104 was supposed to be the mid-range chip. Now whether it's the result of facing a poor financial reality or if it's collusion to bring up prices we can't really say. Only the people in the boardroom know.

Had AMD released a much stronger 7970 part you can bet that you'd be seeing the GK110 in consumer products.

Top Bottom