• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Addnan

If anyone wants to see if your card has coil whine: install The Witcher 2 if you have it, turn off V-Sync, and stay on the main menu. That produces the most audible coil while for me.

Doesn't that section render in the several thousand fps? That would make a lot of cards whine when under normal conditions they wouldn't.

Seanspeed

Banned
Secretly hoping 960 comes with 3GB. Not that I'm personally buying it but a 770 equivalent chip with 3GB vram for a solid price could be a real good deal. If it's 770 equivalent, with 2gb, for more than a 770, then it will be worthless.
I'm expecting 4GB and $250. The headroom that the 970 has would also allow them to slot the 960 in at a slight step above a 770, performance-wise.

Just built my first PC yesterday using an MSI 970. So far I haven't heard any coil whine so that's good. I've only played FC4 and BF3 so far but they both run at a constant 60fps at 1080p on ultra!
You can drop a few settings and get Battlefield 4 running at 1440p/60fps with a GTX970.

Doing that with FC4 is impressive, though. Hell of a card to jump into the gaming PC world with. :)

Out of the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0, the MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr, and the Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX, which has the most room for overclocking?

I'm expecting 4GB and $250. The headroom that the 970 has would also allow them to slot the 960 in at a slight step above a 770, performance-wise.

You can drop a few settings and get Battlefield 4 running at 1440p/60fps with a GTX970.

Doing that with FC4 is impressive, though. Hell of a card to jump into the gaming PC world with. :)

bf4 @ 1440p is too much for a single gpu, the quality settings have to be dropped too low.

Out of the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0, the MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr, and the Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX, which has the most room for overclocking?
Probably the MSI one, because the Superclocked ACX 2.0 heat sink is less efficient and the STRIX has a lower power limit (IIRC).

paskowitz

The EVGA or the MSI. I have the MSI and I can do 1500 (boost clock) with no voltage change and about 1540 with increased voltage. Never going above 72c.

MrBS

I picked up a MSI 970 gaming on the weekend. Modest bump in performance and the thing runs a hell of a lot cooler and quieter than my old GTX 590. Now all I want to do is get another one and run SLI :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just ordered a Nvidia GTX970 Reference card

Updating from a Gigabyte 670 GTX 3x Windforce

What have I done?

XBP

Based off my experiences with it maxed at 1080p, you will be totally fine at 2k. I was using MFAA 4x iirc.

So I have to tone down a few settings at 1440 to get constant 60fps

Option 1 (constant 60): Everything max (including textures and AA/AF) but Ambient Occlusion off
Option 2 (Slight dips sometimes to 55+) : Everything Max, AO enabled but AA = SMAA x2 or TXAAx2 & AF = x2

Option 1 does look better when I'm standing still and looking around but I honestly dont notice anything when I'm playing the game. Oh and I dont have a 1440p monitor. I'm downsampling the game to 1080p using DSR.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For those considering to go SLI this Christmas, here's a list of things that currently don't work with an SLI setup:
- MFAA
- DSR when using a GSYNC monitor.

:(
Most of us aren't affected at least.

Sue to mainly price, I'm pretty much just going to go for a nice 120 to 140 hurts monitor and forgo the G sink for now.

How how do you like that Google Voice recognition lol

Filben

My GTX 770 2GB pushes its limits with latest games' res above 1080p. I haven't upgraded my CPU for years (AMD Phenom II X4 965, no OC) so it may bottleneck (if that's still a thing) future graphics cards? Don't know if I should upgrade for 970 GTX or better to upgrade my CPU.

Chakan

My GTX 770 2GB pushes its limits with latest games' res above 1080p. I haven't upgraded my CPU for years (AMD Phenom II X4 965, no OC) so it may bottleneck (if that's still a thing) future graphics cards? Don't know if I should upgrade for 970 GTX or better to upgrade my CPU.

That CPU is definetively holding back your card. I had a Phenom X6 with the GTX 770 and saw a huge difference on fps after upgrading to a i5 4670 on games like Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein New Order.

pestul

I was getting 75-80c with a decent overclock.. and said f' it. I took the cooler off and reapplied some of my Tuniq TX2 I had sitting around. Warranty voided, but 5-6C cooler under load lol.

NoRéN;143613676 said:
Ahh, my 970 Gaming has the coil whine.

Some people say (and I'm inclined to believe it) that coil whine isn't exactly caused by a particular card, but rather a bunch of variables in your PC (power supply being one) that when matched with another variable in the card makes it produce the noise.

Someone said that changing the voltage slightly either up or down in MSI Afterburner can make it go away. You can try that.

Boss Man

Some people say that (and I'm inclined to believe it) that coil whine isn't exactly caused by a particular card, but rather a bunch of variables in your PC (power supply being one) that when matched with another variable in the card makes it produce the noise.

Someone said that changing the voltage slightly either up or down in MSI Afterburner can make it go away. You can try that.
I think there are probably a combination of factors but the 900 cards are definitely very susceptible to it.

Switching brands (after going through three of the same card) eliminated it for me. I don't doubt that the card that whined for me might not whine in other setups though.

Either way, I think the cards are to blame.

dtcm83

I just ordered a Nvidia GTX970 Reference card

Updating from a Gigabyte 670 GTX 3x Windforce

What have I done?

You've done what I did: went from a 670 3x windforce to a 970 (a Gigabyte G1, which is a little faster than a reference). ~doubled my performance in 1080p in most games I've played on it, and all for under $400. Absolutely no regrets.

KePoW

Banned
I think there are probably a combination of factors but the 900 cards are definitely very susceptible to it.

Switching brands (after going through three of the same card) eliminated it for me. I don't doubt that the card that whined for me might not whine in other setups though.

Either way, I think the cards are to blame.

I think it's definitely clear that it's something with NVIDIA's chipset engineering design of the 970/980

in the end, it's technically harmless though

NoRéN

Some people say (and I'm inclined to believe it) that coil whine isn't exactly caused by a particular card, but rather a bunch of variables in your PC (power supply being one) that when matched with another variable in the card makes it produce the noise.

I must have missed the list of specific pc components required for this particular card to work without any (minimal) issues. :)

Seriously though, are there any specific guides for the voltage thing on afterburner?

in the end, it's technically harmless though
yeah, luckily I'm not one of those that need a silent pc. It was pure luck that i even noticed the whine. Still, after two weeks of not noticing I thought I was one of the lucky ones.

My MSI 970 4G should be arriving tomorrow, it's replacing a Radeon 1GB HD6950, how much improvement should I expect? any specific extra steps because I am switching from AMD to Nvidia? also what's a good game to test this new badboy?

NoRéN;143630488 said:
I must have missed the list of specific pc components required for this particular card to work without any (minimal) issues. :)

Seriously though, are there any specific guides for the voltage thing on afterburner?

yeah, luckily I'm not one of those that need a silent pc. It was pure luck that i even noticed the whine. Still, after two weeks of not noticing I thought I was one of the lucky ones.

I don't think you need a guide, just open Afterburner (or another overclocking app) and only adjust the voltage the tiniest amount possible (you can do that using the arrow keys on the keyboard, only one press to the left or right), and see if it helps. That tiny an amount of voltage change is harmless. If that doesn't do the trick, you can try pushing it a few more notches, might want to go down instead of up if you're worried. Under-volting shouldn't cause any permanent damage (neither should over-voltaging I think, unless you're going crazy with it).

Then again I'm not an expert... just trying to help from what I read and gathered. I don't personally have experience doing the above as I don't have any coil whine.

NoRéN

My MSI 970 4G should be arriving tomorrow, it's replacing a Radeon 1GB HD6950, how much improvement should I expect? any specific extra steps because I am switching from AMD to Nvidia? also what's a good game to test this new badboy?

Display Driver uninstaller. Oh, and have the nvidia drivers downloaded and ready to go.

aravuus

Never had that card myself but I'm willing to bet the jump's gonna be pretty massive

As for the extra steps, not really, just delete the old drivers using display driver uninstaller before you install the nvidia drivers

e: ninjad but i bring urls

Vamphuntr

My STRIX 970 now has coil whine but it's not too loud and very short and it seems to happen when I'm not running graphic intensive games.

XBP

So far very happy with my 970 G1 gaming. Overclocked it to 110% TDP, 1298MHZ Core Clock (not boost) and 1930 MHZ Memory. I could've gone higher by increasing the card's voltage but I'm going to keep it at stock for now.

Went from 65-75 FPS in battlefield 4 to 80-95 with some drops to 70s (when it gets extremely crowded). Everything maxed out, 1440p downscaled to 1080p with MSAA set to 2x.

Mystic654

dave_d

Anybody use VISA checkout? I'm asking because I saw on techbargains the Zotac is 289 if you check out using it.(It's making it really hard for me to resist buying the card :) )

Filben

That CPU is definetively holding back your card. I had a Phenom X6 with the GTX 770 and saw a huge difference on fps after upgrading to a i5 4670 on games like Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein New Order.
Thanks! Going to consider upgrading my CPU.

GHG

bestbuy carries ref 970s, heres mine for proof :)

Is this straight from Nvidia as an OEM or is it branded at all by EVGA/MSI/etc?

I need to source 2 of these for SLI but finding them here in the UAE or finding a store who will ship them here will be tricky.

Also, do you get any coil whine at all?

Question: I have a MSI GTX 970 and I noticed last night that there was a new Video BIOS for it. However, when I went to install it there were many scary warnings about your computer's UEFI BIOS needing to be compatible, etc. etc. so I decided to research first. The rest of my computer is less than a year old.

Is there any reason I shouldn't apply this update?

Kezen

Banned
Question: I have a MSI GTX 970 and I noticed last night that there was a new Video BIOS for it. However, when I went to install it there were many scary warnings about your computer's UEFI BIOS needing to be compatible, etc. etc. so I decided to research first. The rest of my computer is less than a year old.

Is there any reason I shouldn't apply this update?

If you do not encounter any specific issues that are addressed by this new bios there is no reason to flash it. I know there were problems with fans spinning at 100% randomly that are fixed by this new bios.

Top Bottom