• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got my GTX 970 Reference card yesterday. Thing is a beast.

The only game I've tried it on so far, that I had time for, was a FFXIV (A mmo).

Still getting fluctuating (that are higher than they were) fps in that game though. Was hoping I could get constant 60fps @ 1440P.

I got my GTX 970 Reference card yesterday. Thing is a beast.

The only game I've tried it on so far, that I had time for, was a FFXIV (A mmo).

Still getting fluctuating (that are higher than they were) fps in that game though. Was hoping I could get constant 60fps @ 1440P.
What's your GPU usage in-game? I bet it's not 100%. Probably just the game being stupid.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
After what feels like 10,000 years, I finally got my EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 CIA FBI NSA card through EVGA's step-up program, and it's functioning fine so far. They even threw in a free backplate.

Paying a premium for reference design, what a time we live in.

14ou14.jpg

Better than the various third party coolers I've had throughout the years.

dave_d

I might as well chime in again. Tiger direct is doing $40 off a GTX 970 if you do visa checkout and send in a rebate. (Check on techbargains.) Has anybody used visa checkout since it seems like one hell of a deal.(Since it makes the Zotac $290 and that comes with 2 day free shipping)

Elixist

I might as well chime in again. Tiger direct is doing $40 off a GTX 970 if you do visa checkout and send in a rebate. (Check on techbargains.) Has anybody used visa checkout since it seems like one hell of a deal.(Since it makes the Zotac $290 and that comes with 2 day free shipping)

im hopin for a 290 average when i grab one in summer time.

NoRéN

VISA checkout is easy to use. Rebates and tiger direct, not so good. I've had bad experiences with them in the past and I'm sure they've been sued for shenanigans with rebates in the past too.

I'm sure their service has improved since. Might be worth giving it a shot especially with the bundle game. Don't forget they price match as well if there is a lower price somewhere.

Maxwell? The Lord of the Spirits?!
hehe.

If Namco Bandai ever puts a Tales game on Steam, they could make Tales themed graphics cards.

Well... I'm kind of interested. I haven't got one yet... but lately I've been kind of interested in Nvidia graphics cards. I usually buy AMD graphics cards. But Nvidia sounds really nice. And I want an Nvidia Shield.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I have an extra EVGA GTX 970 backplate that I'm selling over in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread if anyone is interested. AFAIK, it should work with any EVGA GTX 970 model.

my Asus strix is dead silent on DAI on ultra. On games like league of legends or idle on desktop the fans don't even turn.

I've got a MSI 4G, and I can't hear the thing. Its fans are silent, and my case and CPU fans do more noise than it. I can't hear the card, really! (When I had the XFX 7950, it sounded like it was gonna take off! XD ). No coil whine either and it stays cool. Great card.

Cheers guys. My Zotac arrived back at Overclockers.co.uk today. Hope they accept the RMA quickly so I can grab one of these, otherwise I'll be stuck on onboard graphics over xmas!

My MSI 970 turned out to be faulty so I sent it back for a refund. MSIs customer support was atrocious to deal with. I sent the card back to the retailer about 2 weeks ago now and I just got a reply yesterday for the email I sent about doing an RMA which I sent days before I even contacted them. Went with the Gigabyte G1 this time around. Hopefully I get a good one.

Faith

Just ordered 2 GTX970 CWR (coil whine reduction) from caseking.de! Finally a perfect 970 and with the awesome design of the reference 980. Also ideal for SLI setup.

Now I have to sell my Asus Strix :p

owasog

my Asus strix is dead silent on DAI on ultra. On games like league of legends or idle on desktop the fans don't even turn.
My Strix is silent most of the time, but with anything higher than 44% fanspeed the noise becomes annoying. Unfortunately the card goes higher than that with temps >68C, which happens all the time in Far Cry 4. Oh well, nothing a custom fan-profile won't fix.

I have an MSI 970 and I have noticed this 'issue' when idling in Windows (the below graph was taken from Windows 7 start up). Playing a game seems fine and the tachometer does not drop to 0.

The GPU temp is under the 34 degrees (when the fan speed should increase) so why is the tachometer fluctuating and going to 0 when I have forced the fan profile as shown below?

RIlko0y.png

The tachometer is behaving like this in sequence over-and-over to produce the heart monitor type image shown below. These are the RPM speeds that the graph is showing (give-or-take slight differences in numbers):

0 - this is always happening at the end of the 'sequence'.

Heb18Dm.png

TheTrain

G1 Gaming seems to be the overall best. If you want a silent card though then get Asus. EVGA is the best for warranty.

After all i've taken the MSI 970 Blue Tiger. The Gigabyte is toooo long and i don't know...i'm not confident with a VGA with a length of 31cm - 40cm.
The red MSI is unavailable here, so the blue tiger was a good choice for me. Imo the price difference between the two isn't worth for a non overclocker user.

Caayn

I've got a problem with DSR and different aspect ratios.

My pc monitor has an aspect ratio of 21:9 while my TV is a 16:9 screen. When I've set my main monitor as the main monitor in windows I can only use DSR with 21:9 resolutions and when I've set my TV as the main monitor I can only use DSR with 16:9 resolution.

I'd like to be able to use DSR with both 16:9 and 21:9 without needing to switch main monitors in Windows first. Is there an option for that or is it impossible to do with the current DSR implementation?

hoserx

I've got a problem with DSR and different aspect ratios.

My pc monitor has an aspect ratio of 21:9 while my TV is a 16:9 screen. When I've set my main monitor as the main monitor in windows I can only use DSR with 21:9 resolutions and when I've set my TV as the main monitor I can only use DSR with 16:9 resolution.

I'd like to be able to use DSR with both 16:9 and 21:9 without needing to switch main monitors in Windows first. Is there an option for that or is it impossible to do with the current DSR implementation?

So are you wanting to game on your non- main monitor? If not, I'm not sure what you mean. If youre playing on your 21:9 screen, don't you want to use a 21:9 resolution with DSR and vice versa?

Anyways, try creating custom resolutions in windows if you aren't seeing what you need in games.

Caayn

So are you wanting to game on your non- main monitor? If not, I'm not sure what you mean. If youre playing on your 21:9 screen, don't you want to use a 21:9 resolution with DSR and vice versa?

Anyways, try creating custom resolutions in windows if you aren't seeing what you need in games.
I game on both screens, depending on the game and mood, that's why I'd like to be able to use DSR on different aspect ratios other than the main monitor's aspect ratio.

Custom resolutions can't be enabled with DSR active :( Last time I used custom resolutions it didn't play nice with my TV.

hoserx

I game on both screens, depending on the game and mood, that's why I'd like to be able to use DSR on different aspect ratios other than the main monitor's aspect ratio.

Custom resolutions can't be enabled with DSR active :( Last time I used custom resolutions it didn't play nice with my TV.

So just switch main monitors really quick?

You aren't saying you want to use a 21:9 ratio on a 16:9 screen, right? Just to be sure.

Caayn

So just switch main monitors really quick?

You aren't saying you want to use a 21:9 ratio on a 16:9 screen, right? Just to be sure.
That's the solution I'm using right now but I was hoping that there's a different way. Hence my question in this thread.

And no I don't want to use a 21:9 ratio on a 16:9 screen, black bars in games is an instant no-go for me.

hoserx

That's the solution I'm using right now but I was hoping that there's a different way. Hence my question in this thread.

And no I don't want to use a 21:9 ratio on a 16:9 screen, black bars in games is an instant no-go for me.

Yeah......well how can you play a game on a different screen without switching your main screen to begin with? I have to switch back and forth when I decide between 1600p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 144hz.

I have an MSI 970 and I have noticed this 'issue' when idling in Windows (the below graph was taken from Windows 7 start up). Playing a game seems fine and the tachometer does not drop to 0.

The GPU temp is under the 34 degrees (when the fan speed should increase) so why is the tachometer fluctuating and going to 0 when I have forced the fan profile as shown below?

http://i.imgur.com/RIlko0y.png?1[img]

The tachometer is behaving like this in sequence over-and-over to produce the heart monitor type image shown below. These are the RPM speeds that the graph is showing (give-or-take slight differences in numbers):

0 - this is always happening at the end of the 'sequence'.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Heb18Dm.png?1[img][/QUOTE]
Try toggling the "user defined" button on the main screen of Afterburner, to the right of where it has the fan speed slider. For whatever reason sometimes it doesn't take unless I toggle it.

Try toggling the "user defined" button on the main screen of Afterburner, to the right of where it has the fan speed slider. For whatever reason sometimes it doesn't take unless I toggle it.

I re-selected the user-define button and applied and still an issue. I then clicked the auto option off (light not on) so the fan stays at the amount set in the slider. The tachometer stayed constant.

The second I turn on the auto button (so the fan profile is used) it plays up again with the fluctuations.

I re-selected the user-define button and applied and still an issue. I then clicked the auto option off (light not on) so the fan stays at the amount set in the slider. The tachometer stayed constant.

The second I turn on the auto button (so the fan profile is used) it plays up again with the fluctuations.

Dunno, seems to work for me if I have auto on and user defined on. Maybe check to see if you have the latest version available?

Dunno, seems to work for me if I have auto on and user defined on. Maybe check to see if you have the latest version available?

I will have a check.

I think the fan speed being at 20% causes the issue. I upped the minimum speed a touch and it doesn't seem to now be dropping to zero.

Caayn

Yeah......well how can you play a game on a different screen without switching your main screen to begin with? I have to switch back and forth when I decide between 1600p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 144hz.
alt+enter -> drag to screen -> alt+enter.

This doesn't screw up the windows I already have open and I can do it faster than switching main screens.

hoserx

alt+enter -> drag to screen -> alt+enter.

This doesn't screw up the windows I already have open and I can do it faster than switching main screens.

yeah but sadly alt-enter doesn't work with a lot of games...... the new metal gear included :(

komorebi

Got an MSI 980 yesterday and I'm blown away. I upgraded from a 2GB Asus 770, an admittedly bad purchase last year ("no game will ever use more than 2GB of VRAM!" etc). Still, this is a huge improvement all around. It runs cool, sips power, and has a huge boost in performance. All the trouble spots in Dragon Age: Inquisition are gone at Ultra settings (sans AA) whereas before I had dips into the low 40s at all High settings. Also no coil whine but I only have a 60hz monitor and always keep vsync on so I'm less likely to have it than most. Amazing card.

the_id

Hey guys, I've got a question. I'm currently using 2x GTX 780ti on SLI.

Is it worth me upgrading to GTX 980 for 2x SLI yet?
I'm only using my PC for gaming but nothing else.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

UnrealEck

To be honest I think the 980 is only a little faster in most games. It does have an extra 1GB of memory though.

sk3tch

Don't bother...unless you just really want to upgrade. Wait until Spring '15 - should be new stuff from AMD (390X) and NVIDIA (980 Ti) then.

I owned a 780 Ti and it was great - but not great enough over the 780. I have 980s and they're great - but not great enough over a 780 Ti. :)

Definitely not worth it unless you can sell your cards for ridiculously good prices.

the_id

Don't bother...unless you just really want to upgrade. Wait until Spring '15 - should be new stuff from AMD (390X) and NVIDIA (980 Ti) then.

I owned a 780 Ti and it was great - but not great enough over the 780. I have 980s and they're great - but not great enough over a 780 Ti. :)

To be honest I think the 980 is only a little faster in most games. It does have an extra 1GB of memory though.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll keep saving and wait for an eventual 980ti.

sk3tch

Definitely not worth it unless you can sell your cards for ridiculously good prices.

Yeah and the 780 Ti market has tanked. I can't believe some of the prices out there...so cheap...and for new, too. Same with the 290X (although the reasoning behind it is different)...just picked up a 290X Lightning for $340 after rebate with a ton of games from NewEgg!!

Does having secondary monitors active on Desktop affect gaming performance? Do I get any benefits of disabling them (and/or setting single display performance mode in control panel)? Or is it not an issue/negligible if the additional screens are just 2D desktop?

KePoW

Banned
Does having secondary monitors active on Desktop affect gaming performance? Do I get any benefits of disabling them (and/or setting single display performance mode in control panel)? Or is it not an issue/negligible if the additional screens are just 2D desktop?

Negligible... no way should you bother changing it every time to play a game

AmyS

3 days old and must be taken with the usual helping of salt, but:

Nvidia GM200 Titan 2, AMD Fiji 380X and Bermuda 390X Benchmarks Leaked

Nvidia’s GM200 GPU / Titan 2 was benchmarked against AMD’s upcoming Fiji XT GPU / R9 380X and Bermuda XT / R9 390X courtesy of a new leak by chiphell. As usual take this with the handy grain of salt as there’s no way to confidently verify leaks such as this.

There’s really no way to tell for sure what Nvidia and AMD may call the products based on these GPUs in the future. So names such as Titan 2, R9 380X and R9 390X will only serve as place holders to help you identify the positioning of the graphics cards in question.

Nvidia GM200 / Titan 2 , AMD Fiji / R9 380X and Bermuda / R9 390X Benchmarked

Without any further delay let’s get into the contents of this new leak.

1- The author on Chiphell claims that both Fiji and Bermuda i.e R9 380X and R9 390X are manufactured on a 20nm process node by Globalfoundries. The author did not specify which process GM200 is built on however.

2- There are two versions of GM200, a cut down version with 21 SMM units amounting to 2688 CUDA cores and a fully unlocked “full fat” version with an unknown number of SMMs / CUDA cores.

3- Fiji XT will not be the flagship GPU from AMD, the flagship will be Bermuda XT.

4- The fully unlocked “full fat” GM200 is 34% faster than the GTX 980 according to the leaker. This puts it at roughly 2816-3072 CUDA cores assuming it’s slightly underclocked compared to the GTX 980.

5- Bermuda XT / R9 390X is 65% faster than the R9 290X / Hawaii XT and will feature a hybrid “Hydra” liquid cooling unit similar to the R9 295X2. This matches the previous leak by a Chinese source that we saw a few months back, which indicated that AMD will be using liquid cooling on a future single-GPU graphics card.

This brings us to the actual benchmarks. The author on Chiphell included benchmarking results that spanned 20 different games as well as power consumption figures under Battlefield 4 multiplayer.

Nvidia-GM200-TItan-2-AMD-Fiji-.png

From the above graph we can see that both the cut down GM200 GPU and the Fiji XT engineering sample are very close in terms of performance and power consumption. GM200 edges out Fiji XT / R9 380X slightly in performance while the 380X is slightly ahead in efficiency (perf/w). The sizable gains in efficiency by AMD may be attributed to the new 20nm process as well as the use of 3D stacked High Bandwidth Memory, called HBM for short. The new memory promises to consume half as much power as GDDR5 and perform nearly 9 times faster.

Unfortunately the author did not include power consumption figures for the “full fat” fully unlocked GM200 GPU nor for the Bermuda XT/ R9 390X but said that the power consumption for the latter was in an acceptable range. I’d expect that both Bermuda and the fully unlocked GM200 GPUs to hold the same sort of power efficiency figures as their smaller siblings the cut down GM200 and Fiji XT.

Nvidia-GM200-TItan-2-AMD-Fiji-Bermuda.png

Above we can see both Bermuda XT / R9 390X and “full fat” GM200 / Titan II compared. Neither of the flagships outperform the R9 295X2 but they come close. The 390X edges out the Titan II in BF4 MP, CoD : AW and Watchdogs while showing a considerable lead in Dragon Age : Inquisition and Ryse : Son of Rome. The performance of both is quite astonishing. Providing a true next generation leap that puts them significantly ahead of anything out right now.

Considering that these are engineering samples the final products should perform even better with higher clock speeds and improved drivers. Especially if the R9 390X reference design ends up with a liquid cooling unit as the leaker suggests. I’d expect to see very impressive temperatures, acoustics and huge overclocking potential.

If the above performance numbers are anything to go by then we should see the following specs.
Bermuda XT / R9 390X : 70-74 compute units amounting to 4480-4736 GCN core
Fiji XT / R9 380X : 56-60 compute units amounting to 3584-3840 GCN core.

4bkm5jz.png

Lets just hope that AMD and Nvidia don’t keep us waiting too long for these phenomenal and most likely quite expensive GPUs.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gm200-titan-2-amd-fiji-380x-bermuda-390x-benchmarked/

Also:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42032...d-radeon-r9-390x-leaked-benchmarks/index.html
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...gtx-titan-gm200-to-be-34-faster-than-gtx-980/

fuzzyset

Has anyone ordered a video card from Tigerdirect? I just received my MSI 970. I should have received the free Ubi game, but they never emailed me the code to enter. How does this work?

Top Bottom