• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Chinbo37

Corporate taxes are high in the US. VAT is included in European prices so yes I understand that has something to do with it but it cannot explain the whole difference.

Anyways my friend is coming to visit in 2 weeks from California I asked him if he would buy the Gigabyte 970+Witcher 3 code for me and bring it with him. No way I will ever find that deal here in Europe. Also I still havent played Witcher 1 and 2 yet so I might just sell the code as I will pick up the game later on sale: Better to sell the code now to someone who wants it.

dr_rus

990? That's the dual GPU naming scheme. Why would they call it that? 980ti would also be inconsistent with recent naming conventions for chips, but at least would make more sense than using the dual GPU slot in the branding. Rebadging is a time honored tradition, and would be perfectly in keeping with the 600->700 transition. Literally 1 new chip, the 780, with the rest of the series (barring 750ti which was maxwell) was a rebadged 600 series card knocked down one notch. A later 2016 release for Pascal would not be surprising, that would still let them have a new series this year to compete with the 300 series, roughly one year after the last and roughly one year before the next. AMD would need to murder it with the 300 series for them to want to skip over more profits in favor of rushing pascal to market.

990 is a number. It can be dual or single or quad GPU. Or a price. Or a radius from the Sun. Since I doubt that there will be a dual GPU card in the 900 series this number is essentially empty. But it may be called 980Ti or 985 if you wish. It doesn't matter.

I've already explained why I think that there won't be a new videocard line from NV this year. There will be no new chips, the 28HP process won't be more mature than it already is and GM2xx chips production costs won't go down much in less than a year from their launch to make any kind of a measurable repositioning possible. Launching a new line which will essentially be the exact same as the previous one makes zero sense - especially since that previous one is very successful.

I expect them to drop 980 price and introduce a 990 GM200 based card as a reaction to Fiji Pro/XT launch. Considering that there is a ~$220 gap between 970 and 980 this sure looks like a plan right from the start. After that we wait for 16FF+ and Pascal GPUs. These will be the start of the next line.

Your 780 example doesn't work here because that was a result of 28HP improvement and cost reduction. There won't be such improvements for GM200. 28HP costs change curve is flat already.
780 cards wasn't based on a new GPU, GK110 was an old GPU by the time it was used in Geforce products. The only thing that has changed is the cost of production of that GPU and this is what made the 700 series possible. With 900 series the cost of production won't change over time at all.

As for rushing Pascal to market - it is in their best interest for several reasons.
A. Even with considerably higher new production process costs a "GP104" GPU would bring better margins than GM200 does.
B. They need 16nm to get back in the game with DP Flops. Intel is pushing them hard in supers.
C. "Rushing" is a strange term for a transition which must have happened half a year ago already. Maxwell was supposed to use 20nm. So if they'll release the first Pascal GPUs in 1st half of 2016 it will hardly be "rushing" anything and more of getting back on track of their previous plans.

wachie

Not again ... it won't be called grumpy-uncle or grumpy-aunt because of so and so ...

Where's vivek, he'll tell you he "heard" there won't be a 980Ti.

Nvidia will call it 980 AMD-you-schmup-ass-edition if they like.

Chinbo37

Cant you get a better deal than that? That's like 405 eur each for reference fans unless I'm missing something.

Edit. Never mind I read the descriptions. Seems to have a fast base clock but note sure if it's wor th that much ?

Edit 2. Wtf Is this shit - "Finally of course this card is perfect for when Half Life 3 is finally released at some point in the future and of course the latest GTA V game which is now confirmed! :

I can get a 970 or a 780 ti at roughly the same price 2nd hand. If I'm gaming @ 1080p for the foreseeable future, which should I go for? Or am I better off holding out for possible price drops when the new AMD series hits?

Sold my 280x a while ago, so looking for something substantially better than that.

I can get a 970 or a 780 ti at roughly the same price 2nd hand. If I'm gaming @ 1080p for the foreseeable future, which should I go for? Or am I better off holding out for possible price drops when the new AMD series hits?

Sold my 280x a while ago, so looking for something substantially better than that.

What card do you have right now? Between the two I'd say 970 but if you don't need a new card shortly I would maybe wait and see what happens.

Chinbo37

If its the same price then go with the 970. I would only consider the 780 if it was cheaper.

dr_rus

Out of these two 970 no doubt. It's just better pretty much everywhere.

I don't think that 970 will drop in price after Fiji launch but you may wait a month and see for yourself just to be on the safe side.

j-wood

So I just bought the EVGA GTX 970 with the 2.0 cooler. I just read about the 970 and the 3.5GB of ram issue...is that all 970s no matter what? Or did EVGA fix it in the new version?

So I just bought the EVGA GTX 970 with the 2.0 cooler. I just read about the 970 and the 3.5GB of ram issue...is that all 970s no matter what? Or did EVGA fix it in the new version?

It's all of them, it's by design so there's nothing to fix. Don't worry about it. Card is still awesome.

pestul

4gb vram is already almost at its limit nowadays. 6gb vram needs to be the standard.
Especially for flagship cards where you want to use 1440p or above.. AMD is in a tough spot if the new HBM cards don't have more than 4GB out of the gate. I would never spend $600+ on a card that doesn't have more than 4GB at this point.

For perspective, I'm still doing quite well at 1440p with my overclocked 970 at this point in time. This might be one of the fastest upgrade cycles for me though. I got by with 1GB 5850s for 5yrs.

Boss Mog

Is there a 970 GTX brand that I should stay away from? I'm looking to pick up the MSI 4GD5T OC

I have the ASUS and while it runs great, it's extra wide compared to other cards and even though I have a huge case I actually had to remove my side fan shroud to get it to fit width-wise. You can see in pics that the heatsink goes past the PCI bracket by at least an inch. It's a great card but just something to keep in mind if your case isn't that wide or if you maybe have a side fan that might impede it.

2446427-c.jpg

dr_rus

4gb vram is already almost at its limit nowadays. 6gb vram needs to be the standard.

Depends on the resolution. 4 GB is the limit for 4K only which is too much for any modern GPU with a possible exception of GM200. At 1080p and in 2560x1440 4GB are perfectly fine at the moment.

I am currently using a Asus 670 now. Would it be good idea to switch to 980 or I should wait till later. I mainly play FF14 and some other games in similar manner. What do you guys think?

Depends on the resolution. 4 GB is the limit for 4K only which is too much for any modern GPU with a possible exception of GM200. At 1080p and in 2560x1440 4GB are perfectly fine at the moment.

GTA V actually gets close to pushing past 4GB at 1440p. You won't be getting incredible framerates at those settings, but if you're looking to get the prettiest game possible at 1440p/30, 3.5/4GB definitely could be a limitation.

Seanspeed

Banned
GTA V actually gets close to pushing past 4GB at 1440p.
Depends on the settings you use. I'm at 1440p and only using about 2.5GB and with 60fps.

I do think vRAM can certainly be a worrying limitation at 1440p and above, though.

I am currently using a Asus 670 now. Would it be good idea to switch to 980 or I should wait till later. I mainly play FF14 and some other games in similar manner. What do you guys think?
Wait until there's a game you want to play that would warrant an upgrade at the very least. A GTX670 should be plenty good enough for FFXIV.

robgrab

Sad but true. I was excited to try out my new 4GB MSI Geforce GTX 980 4G and load up Shadow of Mordor using Ultra textures only to find out it requires 6GB+ of VRAM. The march toward 4K coupled with things like downsampling, AA, and multi-monitor configurations will continue to gobble up VRAM. That's why I laugh when people ask why anyone would ever need 12GB of VRAM on the new Titan X.

Depends on the settings you use. I'm at 1440p and only using about 2.5GB and with 60fps.

I do think vRAM can certainly be a worrying limitation at 1440p and above, though.

Wait until there's a game you want to play that would warrant an upgrade at the very least. A GTX670 should be plenty good enough for FFXIV.

Thanks, I guess I will wait for the next big card then. Even though I want to play witcher 3 in it's full potential.. But I guess I will just play it on PS4...

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks, I guess I will wait for the next big card then. Even though I want to play witcher 3 in it's full potential.. But I guess I will just play it on PS4...
Your GTX670 will run it better than the PS4.

But that is a game that might be worth considering upgrading for anyways. I don't know why you didn't mention it before...?

dr_rus

GTA V actually gets close to pushing past 4GB at 1440p. You won't be getting incredible framerates at those settings, but if you're looking to get the prettiest game possible at 1440p/30, 3.5/4GB definitely could be a limitation.

I'm at 2560x1600 and I haven't seen GTA5 using more than 3,5 GBs with pretty much everything set to maximum including MSAA. Then again I haven't played it for more than an hour yet.

ValfarHL

So, what overclock are people doing on their 970's?

Edit cause of accidental post:
My Asus GTX 970 Black (some limited edition card? Not alot of info on it) does 1530/8005 MHz 100% stable in the tests I've thrown on it. Shame on Asus for only allowing a +37mv on this card. +80-90mv would make this card go past 1600 MHz. It's not like temp or TDP is a problem..at all.

If I remember correctly gpu-z shows a core voltage of 1.212, which is one of the lowest I have seen on these cards?

UnrealEck

Maybe for high end cards but for the low end like the GTX x60 and x50 cards, I don't think there's much point at that sort of GPU power. Not for a while yet.
For the GTX x70 and x80 cards (and AMD's high end) though, sure.

I don't have a 970 but it seems 1500MHz is a good (non modded voltage) overclock on the core.

bbd23

I've had my ASUS Strix 970 for almost two weeks now, love it! first NVIDIA card and I just love how simple the whole "gefore experience" thing really is. shadowplay is the best thing ever, shame it doesn't seem to have a screenshot function though.

ValfarHL

Did you buy antistatic bands? That is the most crucial step.

Wut, I've built countless computers and installed even more components to my gaming rig, htpc, file server.. Not once have I used a antistatic band, and I've never had a single issue.. Is this a joke post, or have I been lucky in my ignorance? :p

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Wut, I've built countless computers and installed even more components to my gaming rig, htpc, file server.. Not once have I used a antistatic band, and I've never had a single issue.. Is this a joke post, or have I been lucky in my ignorance? :p

Same, never used one when I handheld the internals of my PC. I usually touch something that's grounded to discharge and that's it.

Absolutely joke post. The sarcasm meter on this one is broken I see haha.

Zaru

Boss★Moogle;161142166 said:
I have the ASUS and while it runs great, it's extra wide compared to other cards and even though I have a huge case I actually had to remove my side fan shroud to get it to fit width-wise. You can see in pics that the heatsink goes past the PCI bracket by at least an inch. It's a great card but just something to keep in mind if your case isn't that wide or if you maybe have a side fan that might impede it.

2446427-c.jpg

Yeah I barely managed to fit my ASUS Strix into my Fractal Define R4. It leaves like 1cm to the removable drive frame (or whatever that part is called), just enough to get some SATA cables through.

Your 670 is better for W3 than PS4, but I totally understand the sentiment. I'm in a similar situation. I have a GTX 780 and wanted to upgrade to the next Nvidia line for Witcher 3 in particular as I wanted to play it maxed at 60fps, but it's been quiet from Nvidia on the line it feels like.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to when the next Nvidia line will launch? I guess technically it's "launched" but I don't count their flagship cards as those aren't in the realistic price range of most people(at least me).

ValfarHL

Your 670 is better for W3 than PS4, but I totally understand the sentiment. I'm in a similar situation. I have a GTX 780 and wanted to upgrade to the next Nvidia line for Witcher 3 in particular as I wanted to play it maxed at 60fps, but it's been quiet from Nvidia on the line it feels like.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to when the next Nvidia line will launch? I guess technically it's "launched" but I don't count their flagship cards as those aren't in the realistic price range of most people(at least me).

Live in the now, plenty of time for regret later. Unless you're poor.

XBP

Edit cause of accidental post:
My Asus GTX 970 Black (some limited edition card? Not alot of info on it) does 1530/8005 MHz 100% stable in the tests I've thrown on it. Shame on Asus for only allowing a +37mv on this card. +80-90mv would make this card go past 1600 MHz. It's not like temp or TDP is a problem..at all.

If I remember correctly gpu-z shows a core voltage of 1.212, which is one of the lowest I have seen on these cards?

Testing with furmark, I'm sitting on a stable 1501MHz on clock (includes boost) and 7700 on memory with 110 power and stock voltage. Pretty sure I can go higher with maxing out the voltage and not using furmark to test the card but the 2-3 fps gain, given the extra voltage, isn't really worth it for me.

vakarian32

Hey all,

I currently have a 680 2GB which doesn't really cut it at 1440p/144hz so I'm almost certain I'll be getting the 980 Ti when released. I'm just wondering if my old PSU will have enough juice? it's a Corsair HX620.

Cheers

They haven't been quiet at all. Their latest keynote was over a month ago. Pascal is coming next year.

It was 16 months between GTX770 and GTX 970, so unless Pascal gets delayed again, there won't be anything worthwhile out before that. At best we might see a slight price drop on 970/980 as a response to AMDs new cards.

dr_rus

Hey all,

I currently have a 680 2GB which doesn't really cut it at 1440p/144hz so I'm almost certain I'll be getting the 980 Ti when released. I'm just wondering if my old PSU will have enough juice? it's a Corsair HX620.

Cheers

Power requirements for a GM200-based GTX card is likely to be the same as they are for the TitanX.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
990 is a number. It can be dual or single or quad GPU. Or a price. Or a radius from the Sun. Since I doubt that there will be a dual GPU card in the 900 series this number is essentially empty. But it may be called 980Ti or 985 if you wish. It doesn't matter.

What he's getting at is that the x90 moniker has been used exclusively for dual-GPU desktop cards since Nvidia moved away from the 9800 series -- you have the 690, 590 and 295, and none of the other generations had a dual-GPU card and thus no x90-branded GPU, ergo a GeForce 990 would be a dual-GPU card. This reasoning is supported by history and the fact that all rumours thus far have pegged the 980's replacement as the 980 Ti. Your argument to the contrary boils down to, "There are no forces at work that could stop Nvidia deciding to name the 980's successor the 990", which, while true, is devoid of substance.

dr_rus

What he's getting at is that the x90 moniker has been used exclusively for dual-GPU desktop cards since Nvidia moved away from the 9800 series -- you have the 690, 590 and 295, and none of the other generations had a dual-GPU card and thus no x90-branded GPU, ergo a GeForce 990 would be a dual-GPU card. This reasoning is supported by history and the fact that all rumours thus far have pegged the 980's replacement as the 980 Ti. Your argument to the contrary boils down to, "There are no forces at work that could stop Nvidia deciding to name the 980's successor the 990", which, while true, is devoid of substance.

You should read my argument better then because it does not "boils down" to what you've quoted.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should read my argument better then because it does not "boils down" to what you've quoted.

Your post begins with "990 is a number. It can be dual or single or quad GPU" and you later reaffirm that with "[the number] doesn't matter". The paraphrase is accurate, unless you meant something other than "The rumoured 980 Ti could end up being the 990" and tripped over your words.

dr_rus

Your post begins with "990 is a number. It can be dual or single or quad GPU" and you later reaffirm that with "[the number] doesn't matter". The paraphrase is accurate, unless you meant something other than "The rumoured 980 Ti could end up being the 990" and tripped over your words.

You should read my posts and not just some sentences from them. That's the last time I'm suggesting this to you.

Top Bottom