• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should read my posts and not just some sentences from them. That's the last time I'm suggesting this to you.

You're making yourself look foolish. Anybody can click the breadcrumb link in my original post and see that the reason I excised most of your post is because what comes after doesn't pertain to the matter of the 990 moniker, and telling me I'm wrong doesn't do you any favours when you don't say why I'm wrong.

Late edit: Bah, mixed tenses. Fixed.

vakarian32

Power requirements for a GM200-based GTX card is likely to be the same as they are for the TitanX.

Alrighty thanks, looks like the Titan X draws an extra ~55w over the 680. I might wait and see then, although I plan on upgrading my whole PC later in the year so I'll be needing a new PSU anyway.

Salsa

batman requirements and my 2gb 680 gettin old made me wanna peak at local 970 prices..

duZ4v3N.png

6081114162_eae14ba471_o.gif

ValfarHL

Rumors are the 980 ti will be released in may. Wait for that, and amd's new cards before you buy. Unless you are in a hurry, of course.

bargeparty

Yeah I barely managed to fit my ASUS Strix into my Fractal Define R4. It leaves like 1cm to the removable drive frame (or whatever that part is called), just enough to get some SATA cables through.

The 970? I had no problems fitting it into my R4 with like an inch to spare. Curious to see a pic of the inside.

ValfarHL

Link (to the May thing)?

Google has plenty of hits to articles about this. As I said, they are all rumours. For all I know the articles are written for more hits. :p

Googling some more, I see just as many sites reporting a late summer release.

Better to maybe keep my mouth shut until something is official.

My point still stands though, unless you need a new card right now, I would wait as long as possible.

Coolade

They haven't been quiet at all. Their latest keynote was over a month ago. Pascal is coming next year.

It was 16 months between GTX770 and GTX 970, so unless Pascal gets delayed again, there won't be anything worthwhile out before that. At best we might see a slight price drop on 970/980 as a response to AMDs new cards.

I had been wondering the same thing. I'm about a 2 month newbie to PC gaming and I have a 960. I want to upgrade to a 970 but I don't know if I should wait to see if they release a new version of the 970? Or if the 16 months thing is correct I should just upgrade now in preparation for the witcher and batman.

120v

I had been wondering the same thing. I'm about a 2 month newbie to PC gaming and I have a 960. I want to upgrade to a 970 but I don't know if I should wait to see if they release a new version of the 970? Or if the 16 months thing is correct I should just upgrade now in preparation for the witcher and batman.

Ha I was in the same boat... I didn't feel comfortable building my own pc yet so I just bought one with a 960 installed and figured "well its a 900 series... so it has to be pretty good"... then I did some research and felt pretty derpy afterwards

I bit the bullet and bought a 970 just for peace of mind. the smartest thing to do would be wait until the next x70 card, as the 960 is still pretty capable. But at $330 I didn't feel like I was taking much of a loss

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Currently have a 670 right now. Is it worth it to upgrade to the 970 or should I just wait for the next batch of cards?...

npa189

Currently have a 670 right now. Is it worth it to upgrade to the 970 or should I just wait for the next batch of cards?...

Seems like a ton of us are in this boat, I decided to wait it out until November and see what the new cards look like. 670 should be okay for W3, at least better than the consoles.

They haven't been quiet at all. Their latest keynote was over a month ago. Pascal is coming next year.

It was 16 months between GTX770 and GTX 970, so unless Pascal gets delayed again, there won't be anything worthwhile out before that. At best we might see a slight price drop on 970/980 as a response to AMDs new cards.

You don't think 980 Ti will come out by June?

Mideon

Seems like a ton of us are in this boat, I decided to wait it out until November and see what the new cards look like. 670 should be okay for W3, at least better than the consoles.

Just bought a 970, going from a 670 myself so will report back in a few days

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Those new cards are more expensive than the 670 probably though, right?

npa189

Those new cards are more expensive than the 670 probably though, right?

you mean 970? they will be, since a 970 can be had for around $300 right now. I just can't justify it to myself. Spent too much as it is on the thing just 3 years ago. $350-$400 every 3 years just seems ridiculous to me, its the price to stay on the cutting edge I suppose.

This ain't normal. Any idea what the cause could be? MSI 970 Gaming
Tried to record it with shadowplay but the video had stuff from my game session that I closed long ago and was pretty freaky in generall ?!

http://a.pomf.se/zqnaxu.webm

Closed and restarted geforce experience and problem went away.
Still a bit scared. Is there a way to test for faulty card?

ValfarHL

Muahaha.

My brand new MSI 970 4G runs 1580/7900 without problems. Project Cars and Witcher 3, I am ready for you!
minus 0.5GB :(

Chinbo37

If the 980 is supposed to run witcher 3 at 1080p/60 fps ultra settings.

What's the 970 going to do at 1080 and 60 fps, high settings ?

Dargor

And what about the GTX 980 with 8gb of ram? Wanst it supposed to be released in march?

Anyone knows whats up with those?

laxu

Ok, so the "dreaded 3.5 GB wall" is in reality not a big deal. It all started with Shadow of Mordor on ultra textures running better on 980. But since the whole big debacle about that, Nvidia has released several drivers that have improved the situation. I've pretty much tried the game after each driver release and especially 350.12 made it much better. I run two Gigabyte GTX 970 overclocked in SLI.

The killer was when I upgraded from 8 GB DDR-1600 to 16 GB DDR-2133. Now Shadow of Mordor in 1440p with ultra textures doesn't stutter much at all. I played about 30 minutes and during that time maybe saw a stutter once (excluding ones right after the world has loaded the first time).

I'm guessing the game just is a memory hog overall. Even with a Titan X it seems to eat nearly 6 GB, which is what the developer recommends for ultra textures.

I could easily play Far Cry 4 at 4K DSR as long as I didn't use 4xMSAA, after which the game eats over 4 GB VRAM and starts getting small stutters at times. 2xMSAA is fine. GTA V also runs quite nicely at near max details (I think I just have motion blur off and advanced distance scaling at half) with 4xTXAA + SweetFx Lumasharpen filter.

So for one card I think you have to use settings that are beyond the GPU's processing speed to run into any real VRAM issues.

I have no idea why doubling RAM helps so much but it definitely does. Maybe 8 GB is too little nowadays, I don't know.

laxu

This ain't normal. Any idea what the cause could be? MSI 970 Gaming

Tried to record it with shadowplay but the video had stuff from my game session that I closed long ago and was pretty freaky in generall ?!

http://a.pomf.se/zqnaxu.webm

Closed and restarted geforce experience and problem went away.
Still a bit scared. Is there a way to test for faulty card?

Chrome uses the GPU for rendering websites. That artifacting could be either a defective card, too high temperature or overclock. Hard to say, but if you get it again then I'd probably RMA the card. You could try running something like 3DMark or Unigine Heaven for a few hours and see if you get artifacts.

That said, I find GeForce Experience is more trouble than it's worth. I no longer bother to install it.

Brakus

Banned
Ok, so the "dreaded 3.5 GB wall" is in reality not a big deal. It all started with Shadow of Mordor on ultra textures running better on 980. But since the whole big debacle about that, Nvidia has released several drivers that have improved the situation. I've pretty much tried the game after each driver release and especially 350.12 made it much better. I run two Gigabyte GTX 970 overclocked in SLI.

The killer was when I upgraded from 8 GB DDR-1600 to 16 GB DDR-2133. Now Shadow of Mordor in 1440p with ultra textures doesn't stutter much at all. I played about 30 minutes and during that time maybe saw a stutter once (excluding ones right after the world has loaded the first time).

I'm guessing the game just is a memory hog overall. Even with a Titan X it seems to eat nearly 6 GB, which is what the developer recommends for ultra textures.

I could easily play Far Cry 4 at 4K DSR as long as I didn't use 4xMSAA, after which the game eats over 4 GB VRAM and starts getting small stutters at times. 2xMSAA is fine. GTA V also runs quite nicely at near max details (I think I just have motion blur off and advanced distance scaling at half) with 4xTXAA + SweetFx Lumasharpen filter.

So for one card I think you have to use settings that are beyond the GPU's processing speed to run into any real VRAM issues.

I have no idea why doubling RAM helps so much but it definitely does. Maybe 8 GB is too little nowadays, I don't know.

When the awful Watch Dogs came out, I was having horrendous stuttering issues, on a powerful set up, even with texture mods etc, the only thing that actually helped was overclocking my ram from 1600 to 2133, and that was using 8 gig of ram, it was very smooth after that, didn't make it a good game however.

I'd imagine an OC'd 970 should hit 1080p60 at ultra, assuming it doesn't hit the dreaded 3.5gb wall.
My 970's each OC beyond a reference 980. As you've pointed out, the real concern for 970's owners isn't so much clocks as it is RAM. After seeing how GTAV performed in SLI, I've pretty much accepted that the 0.5 gig RAM deficit between the 970 & 980 will prevent use of ultra textures... particularly at higher resolutions.

SliChillax

I have this problem with my 980 which I also had with the 970 and 680. It happens even after a clean Windows install. So basically, everytime I boot the system or restart it, the colour settings in the Nvidia control panel revert to normal. I'm talking about this:
L1Q6qJx.png

I have to manually select Use Nvidia settings every time I boot the pc in order for the colours to appear how I want them.

I have this problem with my 980 which I also had with the 970 and 680. It happens even after a clean Windows install. So basically, everytime I boot the system or restart it, the colour settings in the Nvidia control panel revert to normal. I'm talking about this:
L1Q6qJx.png

I have to manually select Use Nvidia settings every time I boot the pc in order for the colours to appear how I want them.

I've never noticed those settings before, are they supposed to be checked on?

Brakus

Banned
L1Q6qJx.png

I had the exact same problem with my old 780ti, the only thing that helped in the end was to uninstall all Nvidia drivers and fresh install, it was very weird though, as some games wouldn't use the Nvidia colour/gamma settings, and they'd look awful, I was pulling my hair out.

SliChillax

I've never noticed those settings before, are they supposed to be checked on?

For me since I'm using a TN panel, the selected configuration helps make the contrast better and the colours pop a bit more. The panel looks incredibly washed out without the settings selected to "Use Nvidia settings", even after adjusting the panel settings.

SliChillax

I had the exact same problem with my old 780ti, the only thing that helped in the end was to uninstall all Nvidia drivers and fresh install, it was very weird though, as some games wouldn't use the Nvidia colour/gamma settings, and they'd look awful, I was pulling my hair out.

But I've done that :( hell I even did a fresh Windows install.

Brakus

Banned
But I've done that :( hell I even did a fresh Windows install.

I had to do it multiple times, it was almost like it was a conflict with Windows colour/gamma settings and Nvidia's, what might be worth a try, is uninstall Nvidia drivers, remove the card completely, and run your PC from your Motherboards HDMI which will just use Windows colour etc, then install card and drivers, it might just trigger it back, I tried that too.

Brakus

Banned
Would it be worth upgrading a 780 to an 980?

I went from a 780ti to a 980.....lol, I'd say you'd get a nice increase from a standard 780....others I'm sure would say no, but guess it comes down to how much you'll get for the 780 and how much your 980 will be.

zoobzone

I ran FFXIV Heavensward benchmark using GTX970 and got 7019 with 2560x1440 Maximum settings DX11.

The benchmark says GTX970 only has 3072VRAM available. Wonder if that could hinder the results.

MetalSlug

For me since I'm using a TN panel, the selected configuration helps make the contrast better and the colours pop a bit more. The panel looks incredibly washed out without the settings selected to "Use Nvidia settings", even after adjusting the panel settings.

It always happens to me after a driver install. I have the digital vibrance cranked up 100%. Looks good :)

LaneDS

i'd help you out, but I only have a 1080p monitor hooked up to my computer and DSR doesn't seem to do anything for the benchmark

edit:eek:h duh, "custom resolution" hold up, i'll do it with both cards then one

One
6buUuEb.png

Two
U5q3VnG.png

Thank you very much for taking the time to run those! Much appreciated. Will now be considering the purchase with solid numbers in mind.

Would it be worth upgrading a 780 to an 980?

I have a 780 myself, I'm waiting for the inevitable 980 ti (I really really hope it's a mini-titanX)

The 780 is still a beefy GPU. The only thing I wish it had was 4gb of vram.

The 980's are like what the GTX 680/770 was to the GTX 780.(a midrange card released as a highend) I'm hoping the 980 ti is like the 780 was when it released. (A cut down titan with half the vram)

Justinh

Thank you very much for taking the time to run those! Much appreciated. Will now be considering the purchase with solid numbers in mind.

you're welcome. I probably should've mentioned that I'm still running a 2500K with 16 Gbs of RAM, but that's why I did it both ways so you could see the difference it made for me.

laxu

Anyone know whether the LxWxH dimensions listed for video cards typically include the metal backplate, or disregard it?

Might depend on manufacturer. At least for Gigabyte they do so the real length that has to fit inside the case is maybe 1cm less. This also includes the backplate which on their latest cards protrudes a little from the end (stupid design IMO).

Serandur

My new G1 980 does 1520 MHz on the GPU and 7900 MHz on the memory completely stable with +35mv. It doesn't go past 73C at its maximum and the fans are still fairly quiet. I know with a little more juice I could push it further.

It's an overpriced mid-range card, but at least that means it has the decency to cool and overclock well.

In other news, there are some rumors floating around of a "980Ti" in May. Corsair even have "980Ti" listed in their PSU selection tool now.

ValfarHL

My new G1 980 does 1520 MHz on the GPU and 7900 MHz on the memory completely stable with +35mv. It doesn't go past 73C at its maximum and the fans are still fairly quiet. I know with a little more juice I could push it further.

It's an overpriced mid-range card, but at least that means it has the decency to cool and overclock well.

In other news, there are some rumors floating around of a "980Ti" in May. Corsair even have "980Ti" listed in their PSU selection tool now.

Some rumors say may, others say late summer/fall. The wait.. :(

Top Bottom