• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

fresquito

What software are you using to edit SP videos? Premiere is a no because the variable framerate problems (unless you go Handbrake first, which is a pain in the ass).

Schrade

From the nVIDIA GeForce Experience 2.0 release notes:

GeForce Experience 2.0 Release Highlights

ShadowPlay

• Adds support for GeForce GTX notebooks
• GeForce GTX 800M, GTX 700M, and select GTX 600M GPUs supported
• Adds support for desktop capture
• Requires latest GeForce driver
• Requires Aero mode enabled
• Desktop GPUs only
• Adds native 1920 × 1200 capture
• Alt-tab will pause instead of terminate recordings
• Video folders are now created when a video is saved instead of at game launch
• Adds advanced quality options for Twitch streaming
• Twitch streams will automatically be tagged with game name
• Twitch streams now retain capture aspect ratio
• Pause and resume broadcast
• Fixes password handling bugs
• Fixes bug where on-screen indicator cannot be disabled
• Improves microphone audio quality

GameStream

• Wake on LAN support: remotely wake up your PC from sleep mode
• Remote Login support: login to a locked PC remotely from SHIELD
• Manually add games to your GameStream list
• Go to Preferences –> GameStream
• Remote streaming support (beta): stream your PC games to SHIELD from outside your home
• Notebook GameStream support (beta)
• GeForce GTX 800M, GTX 700M, and select GTX 600M GPUs supported

Bug Fixes

• Various stability and bug fixes
Learn more here

All I can say is FUCK YES! 1920x1200 support!!

Recording the desktop and borderless fullscreen games works excellently now.

Edit: LUFTRAUSERS is OpenGL which should work, I thought I read that somewhere, but for some reason it wouldn't record it. However, if I clicked off of the window and then began recording it was technically recording the desktop and worked just fine.

http://youtu.be/BOkhbA_Vnzw

JMTHEFOX

The update definitely makes the nVidia SHIELD worth it in my opinion. I will try out the update, once I buy the shield and make a Menson build.

I just put in a GTX 760 and I'm finding ShadowPlay to be awful, at least with Titanfall. I get an immediate performance hit that drags down the 'ol FPS when streaming to twitch. If I'm just using the DVR option it'll eventually crap out hard writing something to disk. It was so bad at one point that I actually got dropped out of the game entirely.

I have an i5 3470 and a 1TB disk (rates 5.9 in Win7 so it isn't great) but this seems unusual. Should there be this much of a perf hit while using it? I don't have this issue at all with OBS.

I just put in a GTX 760 and I'm finding ShadowPlay to be awful, at least with Titanfall. I get an immediate performance hit that drags down the 'ol FPS when streaming to twitch. If I'm just using the DVR option it'll eventually crap out hard writing something to disk. It was so bad at one point that I actually got dropped out of the game entirely.

I have an i5 3470 and a 1TB disk (rates 5.9 in Win7 so it isn't great) but this seems unusual. Should there be this much of a perf hit while using it? I don't have this issue at all with OBS.

my immediate guess is that it's too taxing for the 1 hard drive.

(I have games running on 7200RPM hard drive, shadowplay caching to another hard drive, and saving videos on my ssd drive)

ChrisG683

Do you have multiple montiors?

kizito

You should dedicate a second internal hard drive to shadowplay.

Do you have multiple montiors?

Usually a single monitor but if I do run multiple I run the secondary using integrated graphics.

my immediate guess is that it's too taxing for the 1 hard drive.

(I have games running on 7200RPM hard drive, shadowplay caching to another hard drive, and saving videos on my ssd drive)

You should dedicate a second internal hard drive to shadowplay.

That's what I was worried about. I assume I need to set the temp directory to my other HD right?

suikodan

After seeing what ShareFactory can do on PS4 with recorded gameplay, I wonder

1- Could nVidia comme with a similar solution?
2- If not, is there a (free) video editor that would be as simple and fast as the one on PS4?

ShareFactory is so simple it almost hurts and I'd like to do a similar thing with Shadowplay videos.

Xyber

After seeing what ShareFactory can do on PS4 with recorded gameplay, I wonder

1- Could nVidia comme with a similar solution?
2- If not, is there a (free) video editor that would be as simple and fast as the one on PS4?

ShareFactory is so simple it almost hurts and I'd like to do a similar thing with Shadowplay videos.

I haven't used it in forever, but Windows Movie Maker was easy as hell if you just want to mash a few clips together.

Doubt we will see anything like that from Nvidia in a while at least.

Woohoo just got an update to the Geforce Experience and one of the new additions is recording in desktop mode. So I can now capture Minecraft with no performance loss, that makes me a happy bunny.

You have to enable Desktop mode from the configuration settings in shadowplay.

yatesl

I haven't used it in forever, but Windows Movie Maker was easy as hell if you just want to mash a few clips together.

Doubt we will see anything like that from Nvidia in a while at least.

Yup, I use WMM. Drag file in, publish straight to YouTube

Dr Dogg

GeForce Experience and moreover ShadowPlay just got a new update today.

GeForce Experience 2.1 Release Highlights

ShadowPlay

Adds in-game framerate counter
Shadow Mode can now be used with desktop capture
Adds push-to-talk functionality
Extends capture resolution up to 2500 x 1600
Improved audio synchronization when editing with Adobe Premier
Improved Twitch streaming stability
ShadowPlay on/off state now persists across self-update

General

Improves self-update installation speed
Various bug fixes

Durante

With Shadow recording on the desktop, I can now store my greatest GAF postings and most daring coding exploits for posterity.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Has anyone gotten shadowplay to work with Elsword?

Tablo

Shadowplay is awesome. Too bad youtube messes so much with quality, I want to upload my 60 gigs of bf4 footage but I'm afraid it'll look way too bad on YT...

GHG

So now that the recording resolution is above 1080p, if you downsample will it capture it at the original resolution or the one you are downsampling it to?

Arulan

If anyone from Nvidia is listening please add support for capturing audio that bypasses the Windows sound mixer. OpenAL for example.

While games that use OpenAL are somewhat rare today, Creative's Alchemy which restores EAX and hardware sound support uses OpenAL which is being converted from DirectSound3D.

Firebrand

What are people's experience with recording to a HDD? I put both output and temp files on the (nearly empty) WD Blue 7200rpm to keep it separate from the system/game reads on the SSD. Worked nicely in 1680x1050, but after switching to an 1080p monitor, the videos are noticably stuttery and my guess would be it's because the HDD can't keep up. I haven't actually changed the bitrate though, hrm. Samsung Magician reports a write speed of 57 MB/s, so 50 megabits per second shouldn't be a problem?

Also uploading to Youtube just makes a blurry, lowres mess of everything, ugh.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well I've been having a problem with certain games *refusing* to play in proper fullscreen mode. Namely Battlefield 4 and Assetto Corsa. I can run them borderless windowed, but then I cant use Shadowplay and it just so happens that these are probably the two main games I want to use Shadowplay for.

For more detail, in Battlefield, it'll stay fullscreen for a minute or so then revert to windowed mode. I press Alt+Enter and it goes back to fullscreen, but only for a minute again and then goes back to windowed.

Its quite infuriating and one of my favourite Nvidia features is mostly useless to me right now as a result. Anybody have any idea what's going on? This has been happening for quite a while.

Levyne

Banned
Would using the "desktop capture" of shadowplay solve your recording issue? Obviously, it wouldn't do anything about not being able to play in fullscreen.

Seanspeed

Banned
Would using the "desktop capture" of shadowplay solve your recording issue? Obviously, it wouldn't do anything about not being able to play in fullscreen.
Hmm, maybe. I haven't really looked into the desktop capture feature. I'll have to do that.

tauke

Hmm, maybe. I haven't really looked into the desktop capture feature. I'll have to do that.

What Levyne said. So far I've no issue recording using desktop capture but I mainly use Shadowplay for creating video tutorials instead since the performance hit is neglible compared to software like Camtasia Studio (although I wish Nvidia allow for more custom FPS like 5,10,15 or even higher than 60 in the future).

Why the hell can I not take screenshots? I have a new laptop and Shadowplay works a wonder with not cutting framerate when recording, but I also want to take screenshots. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Why the hell can I not take screenshots? I have a new laptop and Shadowplay works a wonder with not cutting framerate when recording, but I also want to take screenshots. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Shadowplay only records and streams video of games or your desktop. Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't have a screenshot feature.

Instead of being slaved to Shadowplay and forced to use Fullscreen and the limited Shadowplay options, use OBS with the NvEnc encoder (Basically, Shadowplay in a different program). That way you can capture games that are borderless windowed/windowed and you have far more control over recording/streaming options.

Instead of being slaved to Shadowplay and forced to use Fullscreen and the limited Shadowplay options, use OBS with the NvEnc encoder (Basically, Shadowplay in a different program). That way you can capture games that are borderless windowed/windowed and you have far more control over recording/streaming options.

Actually Shadowplay has supported desktop recording (like OBS's monitor capture) for a while now and that includes the excellent titular feature (constant recording in the background) for basically any game or program. Shadowplay is still definitely lacking in options but for general game recording it works very well.

"Actually Shadowplay has supported desktop recording (like OBS's monitor capture) for a while now and that includes the excellent titular feature (constant recording in the background) for basically any game or program. Shadowplay is still definitely lacking in options but for general game recording it works very well."

OBS doesn't just do "monitor" capture, though. It's also capable of grabbing windowed games directly, exactly as it would a fullscreen game. So, if you only have one monitor, you can alt-tab to other programs without it showing on your stream.

Teknopathetic said:
OBS doesn't just do "monitor" capture, though. It's also capable of grabbing windowed games directly, exactly as it would a fullscreen game. So, if you only have one monitor, you can alt-tab to other programs without it showing on your stream.

That's because OBS is built specifically for streaming. Shadowplay isn't. I know Shadowplay CAN stream, but I highly doubt that anyone is "slaved" to it and actually using it to stream on Twitch. Of course OBS would be better for streaming; It's built for that and local recording and that's it. Shadowplay's main draw is that it constantly records in the background without taking up hard drive space. They're two completely different pieces of software with different purposes.

Also, before Shadowplay had desktop recording patched in I tried OBS with the NvEnc plugin and it didn't run anywhere near as well as Shadowplay did. Even trying to record 720p30 resulted in dropped frames as it was recording. Shadowplay however, recorded 1080p60 video with zero dropped frames in-game or in the recording.

"That's because OBS is built specifically for streaming. Shadowplay isn't. I know Shadowplay CAN stream, but I highly doubt that anyone is "slaved" to it and actually using it to stream on Twitch. Of course OBS would be better for streaming; It's built for that and local recording and that's it. Shadowplay's main draw is that it constantly records in the background without taking up hard drive space. They're two completely different pieces of software with different purposes."

I'm well aware of the differences between Shadowplay and OBS. SeanSpeed had a problem with Shadowplay, I offered an alternative solution to his problem.

Paz

Couple questions - Does Obs + NVEnc offer similar quality/performance/file size levels to Shadow Play? Does it capture variable framerate like shadowplay?

Been searching for a good/cheap solution for 60fps game capture for a while now, shadowplay isn't the highest quality in the world but there are very few times you need 1080p/60 near uncompressed IQ and so speed & convenience is actually really valuable when putting together a trailer or something. Tried using shadowplay recently but the variable framerate captures just screws up editing even though the resulting image isn't too bad.

Unfortunately FRAPS is just a bit too intensive (in all aspects) for my setup and I can't afford to splurge on a high end PC or capture equipment.

Top Bottom