• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Nabs

just a tip: OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) beta6 build has now NVEnc support (the hardware compression function used by ShadowPlay).
you can use it to stream or record locally (with much more flexibility compared to the ShadowPlay app):
http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10234

it works with windowed mode as well. here's my stream layout: http://i.imgur.com/e2Fpmsk.png

the downsides? while easy to setup, OBS is not as simple and beginner-friendly as ShadowPlay. also you don't have Shadow Mode to always record in the background, you have to explicitly start recording.

oh snap.

Has anyone been getting static filled audio on their recordings.

I have it set to record both ingame and mic audio and I randomly get parts of my recordings that are just filled with static and distortions.

Some times it lasts for 30 or so seconds, some times it will be minutes. There are times it will appear at the end of a recording and other times in the middle, so there will be normal audio after the issue goes away.

It seems random as well. Has no correlation to if I am talking or not.

Here is a YouTube clip of the audio issue itself and an image from Sony Vegas showing that you can clearly see the where the problem starts in the editor.

Yeah I have had the exact same thing in 1 of my videos, sounds exactly like your video.

I also had 1 video record only half the resolution height.

And another record half of the screen in purple.

Dunno if it's an issue with my setup or not, but I've yet to get a decent framerate out of using NVenc with OBS. Tried the various presets, etc. etc., all very unwatchable. It's obviously still WIP, but so far no luck.

Parsnip

It's cool that OBS can use NVenc too, but the whole point of ShadowPlay to me is the shadow mode background recording. Do they have plans to add that in OBS? I realize that it's primarily a streaming software, but if they do add it, that would be pretty cool too. Would certainly prefer it over the somewhat barebones ShadowPlay.

Computron

Think they'll ever get to the negligible perf-hit/latency of shadowplay in windowed OBS with composited overlays? How close are they with this beta?

feel

The option to turn off the little indicator icon is not sticking anymore for me, so annoying having to go into the shawdowplay options every time I want to play a singleplayer game to turn it off temporarily, it even returns when I alt-tab out and back into games.

And I wish they would have an option to make the icon appear when you start a game to let you know Shadowplay is active, and then go away 5 seconds later and then reappear briefly only when you record something as a confirmation that it's saving, and then disappear again.

Nokterian

Everytime i try to login with twitch through shadowplay it constantly says my username or password isn't good but it is.

Going to buy Elgato game capture so i don;t have to hassle around this.

Shiina

I always have the same problem where Shadowplay would just stop working and it won't start again until I re-install the thing. The post-recording feature is really useful, though.

Parsnip

I always have the problem when I reboot/start my system that the shadow minutes is stuck at 0, even though the slider is at maximum. The slider won't move either, I need to flick the shadowplay switch off and on again to reset it. On every reboot, it's getting a little annoying.

Dario ff

Banned
New update out for Shadowplay adds bitrate controls, frame rate and resolution options

It keeps getting better and better! No windowed mode support yet though.
My prayers have been answered!

Recording only at 30 FPS should be a far less noticeable hit for framerate in-game. Waste of frames if the end result is Youtube without some fancy post-processing. (Not like Youtube's low bitrate would let you see it properly)

That and it ensures better usage of the bitrate cap on image quality. Will benchmark in a bit.

EDIT: Damn it it's Combo Boxes and sliders again. Why can't they just let us edit settings accurately anyway? I don't think an Text Box is gonna hurt anyone. :p

Pdhpmit.png

It's progress tho.

New update out for Shadowplay adds bitrate controls, frame rate and resolution options

It keeps getting better and better! No windowed mode support yet though.

We've also looked into the issue of ShadowPlay Beta’s write impact on solid state drives (SSDs). Given that modern drives have built in protection to distribute writes, we do not expect ShadowPlay to meaningfully impact a SSD's lifetime for typical use cases. But for extra peace of mind, the latest release adds the option to change ShadowPlay’s temporary buffer file location. This will reduce usage on your C:\ drive if redirected to a secondary drive, and in turn may prevent the occasional stutter during gameplay if your C:\ struggles with simultaneous gaming and capture.

Awesome.

Dr Dogg

Quick note on 30fps recording

Note that switching from 60 fps to 30 fps by itself will not reduce the output file size; since bit rate is calculated per second, this will allocate twice the amount of bits per frame. To retain the same quality level whilst also reducing frame rates from 60 fps to 30 fps, reduce the bit rate by half. This will keep quality per frame the same while reducing the file size.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. I wonder if I can compromise with new tweaks and finally stream something. My limited upload speed makes it difficult, though

vazel

Banned
I'm happy they fixed the 5.1 audio bug but the on-screen indicator bug is still there. It still keeps turning itself on when you try to disable it.

Dr Dogg

Is that quality slider going all the way up to 50 mbps?

Yep but that's what I was roughly getting before. It goes down in 5mps steps down to 10mbs. Note though dropping to 30fps still maintains the same bitrate so you'd effectively be doubling up. Getting there but I'd like to see a bit more flexibility.

kinggroin

Banned
Neither shadow play or record work for me any more. I just get a red circle when I press the hot keys. I've dine nothing different but update my drivers when new ones arrive. Tried going back to an old one but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Kanokare

Neither shadow play or record work for me any more. I just get a red circle when I press the hot keys. I've dine nothing different but update my drivers when new ones arrive. Tried going back to an old one but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

These steps helped me the other day.

Make sure no game is running
Turn off Shadowplay
Start a game.
Then exit the game.
Turn Shadowplay on.
Start game.

Parsnip

Any ideas?

Tried flipping the shadowplay switch off/on again? I don't know if it's still the case with the recent update, but for me the shadowtime slider keeps occasionally resetting to 0 when I reboot my system, and the slider gets stuck, and when it happens it gives me that red circle when I try to record. I've had to flip it off/on to make it respond again.

kinggroin

Banned
These steps helped me the other day.

Make sure no game is running
Turn off Shadowplay
Start a game.
Then exit the game.
Turn Shadowplay on.
Start game.

Tried flipping the shadowplay switch off/on again? I don't know if it's still the case with the recent update, but for me the shadowtime slider keeps occasionally resetting to 0 when I reboot my system, and the slider gets stuck, and when it happens it gives me that red circle when I try to record. I've had to flip it off/on to make it respond again.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks fellas

Naminator

Banned
Looks like Nvidia is making progress with ShadowPlay, a few more updates like this and there will just be nothing left of the competing recording software.

Schrade

No, those are lossless.

FRAPs and DXTory are only lossless if you set them to use a lossless codec.

By default, FRAPs uses a lossy codec (You can really notice the loss in reds - red text is a good way to see where it's lossy). I think there's an option in FRAPs to capture in RGB mode, which is the lossless capture.

With DXTory, you use third party codecs and some of these codecs will either be Lossy or have Lossy modes. You just need to configure them to your needs.

Nokterian

Ah found the problem for twitch signing in. Changed my password and now it works. I see they finally fixed the installation is corrupt it was so damn annoying.

pixlexic

Banned
I recently installed a 3 tb hd dedicated to video capture. :)

So far the quality of this has been very good. No complaints.

KKRT00

FRAPs and DXTory are only lossless if you set them to use a lossless codec.

By default, FRAPs uses a lossy codec (You can really notice the loss in reds - red text is a good way to see where it's lossy). I think there's an option in FRAPs to capture in RGB mode, which is the lossless capture.

With DXTory, you use third party codecs and some of these codecs will either be Lossy or have Lossy modes. You just need to configure them to your needs.

Ok, in other words, the Kepler codec does not have almost lossless mode. Probably 100mbps would be the most it could handle.

OBS's live version just dropped the beta build, not to be confused with test build, with NVENC. I'm trying to learn a little more about it. I wish there was more documentation on the NVENC presets. All I've learned so far is High Quality is good up to 108060fps. It doesn't say how it effects downsampling to 720p 60fps since I'm not a partner on Twitch anyways and 3500kbs bitrate. I guess I should just do some testing myself.

Edit: First test on the NVENC High Quality preset worked, but I wasn't happy with the results. Looked like shit.

Edit2: Very disappointed with NVENC after testing. I guess I'm going to stay with using x264 with the cpu for the time being.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OBS's live version just dropped the beta build, not to be confused with test build, with NVENC. I'm trying to learn a little more about it. I wish there was more documentation on the NVENC presets. All I've learned so far is High Quality is good up to 108060fps. It doesn't say how it effects downsampling to 720p 60fps since I'm not a partner on Twitch anyways and 3500kbs bitrate. I guess I should just do some testing myself.

Edit: First test on the NVENC High Quality preset worked, but I wasn't happy with the results. Looked like shit.

Edit2: Very disappointed with NVENC after testing. I guess I'm going to stay with using x264 with the cpu for the time being.

whats wrong with NVENC? What specific problems are you having?

For some reason now my mic is constantly recording, even when I am not using it.

I tried using the microphone on/off option in Shadowplay but it doesn't support the use of mouse buttons.

It now seems when set to capture mic it's either all or nothing, before they added that It only captured my mic when I was speaking.

legacyzero

Banned
So after a few min of shadow capture, my pc starts to choke up. would it just be better to have Shadowplay capture to a totally separate HDD? The one I have now it almost full. Could that be why?

So after a few min of shadow capture, my pc starts to choke up. would it just be better to have Shadowplay capture to a totally separate HDD? The one I have now it almost full. Could that be why?

I have it writing to a separate HDD than what my games are on. I even have the TEMP files on yet another HDD so it's not doing anything (for the most part) on the same drives.

Schrade

Yep, that's why.

Put the temp directory on your fastest drive. That'll help.

fresquito

I'm new to Shadowplay. I've been toying around a little bit and so far so good. My only complain is I can't alt+tab because when I go back to the game, Shadowplay doesn't work. It's kind of annoying, because I use Audacity to record my mic and once I set up everything, I alt+tab, start recording with Audacity, go back to the game, then I start recording the game. Now I have to start recording with Audacity before I even open the game :-/

Any solution for alt+tab?

Schrade

I'm new to Shadowplay. I've been toying around a little bit and so far so good. My only complain is I can't alt+tab because when I go back to the game, Shadowplay doesn't work. It's kind of annoying, because I use Audacity to record my mic and once I set up everything, I alt+tab, start recording with Audacity, go back to the game, then I start recording the game. Now I have to start recording with Audacity before I even open the game :-/

Any solution for alt+tab?

Maybe you could use something like AutoHotkey to send the key sequence to Audacity while you're in your current game.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

People use AutoHotkey to do all kinds of stuff in MMOs and whatnot.. like controlling multiple clients on the same machine (sending commands to multiple windows)

I'll probably be more interested in NVEnc when the quality goes up. It's kind of awful now. Still, right now it looks like it's perfect for streaming and capturing funny moments.

I'm new to this recording stuff. Is there any way on either Shadowplay or OBS for it to only capture in game sounds? I don't like that it records music and skype conversations.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm new to this recording stuff. Is there any way on either Shadowplay or OBS for it to only capture in game sounds? I don't like that it records music and skype conversations.
Pretty sure you just need to make sure the audio option is set to 'In game' and not 'In game & microphone', right?

Top Bottom