• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Anyone know of a way that allows me to select only sections of the video, create a separate video file without touching the quality (no re-encoding it etc) ?

After hours and hours trying to get this to work, I finally realize this only works in full-screen games. Back to Action/MSI/Dxtory then, as this is completely useless without windowed-mode support.

Kazman

Neo Member
Has anyone got this working with Dark Souls + DSfix?

The game starts up as a window then goes full screen. Tried switching on borderless window in the ini but still no luck.

Qassim

Hmm yep, same to me. I added "-shadowplay" property to the launcher and the program opens correctly and seems to activate the Shadowplay thing but ALT+F9 or F10 doesn't actually do anything.

It depends on a dedicated chip in Kepler cards, I'm afraid there isn't much hope for getting it working on a card that doesn't meet the requirements.

Vlodril

It depends on a dedicated chip in Kepler cards, I'm afraid there isn't much hope for getting it working on a card that doesn't meet the requirements.

Any idea why i can't use it with some games? Like borderlands 2 for example. I googled a bit but it seems other people can so its not the game's fault. When i hit the shortcut nothing happens. It works with other games like shadowrun or splinter cell.

Addnan

New updates.

With the release of GeForce Experience 1.8, we’ve implemented many of the community’s most requested enhancements. First and foremost, Windows 7 users can now save up to 20 minutes of Shadow Mode footage, just like Windows 8 users, and Windows 7 Manual Mode is no longer restricted to a single 3.8GB file – footage is now recorded continually across multiple files until the moment you run out of HDD or SSD space.

One of the most requested additions was multi-source audio recording, the ability to record game audio and VOIP simultaneously. Today, it is available as part of ShadowPlay and GeForce Experience 1.8. Simply select the relevant option in the ShadowPlay control panel and you’ll be good to go.

Other changes of note include the ability to capture footage at native resolution and aspect ratios up to 1920x1080 (beyond 1920x1080 the aspect ratio is preserved), and the reduction of stuttering during playback of captured video.

Windows 7 can record as much as 8 now

voice recording

recording at native res.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-1-8-released

Sanjay

GeForce Experience 1.8 released:-

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

ShadowPlay Patch Notes:-
Removes 3.8GB file limitation in Win7.
Record up to 20 minutes in Shadow Mode
Unlimited recording in Manual Mode
ShadowPlay creates new files once 3.8GB is reached
Captures video without re-scaling at up to 1080p. At higher resolutions, aspect ratio is preserved.
Adds microphone recording
Captures video at 60 fps instead of 62 fps
Reduces stuttering in captured video

Parsnip

They didn't add any kind of one time notification, sound or toast to indicate when a recording is saved it seems. That's unfortunate. I would really love a small something something that would pop on the corner of the screen when I store a shadowplay recording, but only then. Not all the time like it is now.

You know, like Steam screenshots have.

Schrade

Hmm so does this:

Other changes of note include the ability to capture footage at native resolution and aspect ratios up to 1920x1080 (beyond 1920x1080 the aspect ratio is preserved), and the reduction of stuttering during playback of captured video.

Mean that 1920x1200 video would just be resized down to 1920x1080 but 16:10 aspect ratio would be kept? If so, I guess I'm ok with that.

I would still want native resolution though :(

Captures video without re-scaling at up to 1080p. At higher resolutions, aspect ratio is preserved.

Why are they splitting files on NTFS?

Schrade

Why are they splitting files on NTFS?

It has to do with the MP4 File Writer in Windows 7. For some reason they limited it to 3.8 gigs or whatever. They removed/fixed that limitation in Windows 8.

The MP4 File Writer is builtin to the OS, it's just a filter in there.

So it's nVIDIA's fault for switching from .ts container to MP4 to make it easier for some people to play the recorded files.

It's Microsoft's fault for never updating that filter to support larger file sizes.

Thorgal

Sorry if this has been answered before but i was wondering :

Does Shadow record at a fixed resolution or at whatever your game is running at ?

For example . if i was playing a game at 1440 or a higher res while recording . will the recorded footage also be at 1440 and up ?

Schrade

Sorry if this has been answered before but i was wondering :

Does Shadow record at a fixed resolution or at whatever your game is running at ?

For example . if i was playing a game at 1440 or a higher res while recording . will the recorded footage also be at 1440 and up ?

Everything above 1920x1080 gets resized down to 1920x1080. In the older versions it would just squish everything and forget the aspect ratio. So things would be stretched. It sounds like the latest version will still resize things down to 1920x1080 but retain the aspect ratios.

Chakan

Very nice changes. I'll test them later with AC IV.

Thorgal

Everything above 1920x1080 gets resized down to 1920x1080. In the older versions it would just squish everything and forget the aspect ratio. So things would be stretched. It sounds like the latest version will still resize things down to 1920x1080 but retain the aspect ratios.

i see .

One other thing: with the resizing down to 1080p does it downsample the image ?

Stainless

They didn't add any kind of one time notification, sound or toast to indicate when a recording is saved it seems. That's unfortunate. I would really love a small something something that would pop on the corner of the screen when I store a shadowplay recording, but only then. Not all the time like it is now.

It does have a visual indicator. When you are shadowplay recording, there is the circle icon always there, but when you save, there will be an arrow pointing down that briefly shows up inside that icon.

Parsnip

It does have a visual indicator. When you are shadowplay recording, there is the circle icon always there, but when you save, there will be an arrow pointing down that briefly shows up inside that icon.
I did specifically say that I would like an icon only when I'm saving a clip though. Not all the time, like it is now.

feel

Aaww I'm getting this crazy loud electric interference noise coupled with a framerate dip in my clips every 5 seconds with mic recording on. :(

I did specifically say that I would like an icon only when I'm saving a clip though. Not all the time, like it is now.
That would be a great.

dsk1210

Perfect

I was recording earlier today and the stutter was annoying me, thankfully they have it recording at 60 instead of 62fps now.

Durante

New updates.

Windows 7 can record as much as 8 now

voice recording

recording at native res.

Nice, they really did implement the 3 most important things which were missing.

Now add the ability to record from windowed (and borderless windowed fullscreen) applications, and OpenGL ones, and it has everything I want.

So if I play in 1900x1200 how does that get resized? Sorry if that is a dumbshit question.
Just from reading it I'd assume 1728x1080.

TheD

The Detective
Just from reading it I'd assume 1728x1080.

Yep, I just tested it and that is what it outputs.
Better than it was but I do not understand why it is just not native 1920x1200, maybe a limit of the encoder?

And to add a feature to that list of yours:
Change the location of the temp file, I am not really a fan of how much data it writes to my SSD all the time I am playing a game (with quality at max).

Seanspeed

Banned

Yea, I was expecting that as it seems like a pretty minor thing to add in. Hopefully next update.

XDDX

I'm still getting a nvlddmkm.sys BSOD everytime I try to launch geforce experience, even with this new version. Have a 650ti and an i5 760.

pixlexic

Banned
Yes this works very well and I have not seen any performance hit recording to a separate drive.

The only issue I have is there is no easy way to edit the video.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'll just keep waiting until they let you record at any framerate you want.

I'm still waiting for it to be easier to make beautiful slow motion GIFs from 250fps video.

Burb

Neo Member
Okay, just tried the update with mic recording.

The sound quality for the mic is really quite horrible, and also the volume is too low.
What you hear sounds like something you might expect 20 years ago when the internet was a new thing, it's just really really bad.. the game audio is fine but the commentary is just.. awful
I have a blue yeti mic by the way, and the recording format in windows is set to the highest freq settings.

Also the commentary comes out way too low, even with the mic volume maxed out both in windows and on the gain wheel on the microphone itself. I usually leave this at a fairly low setting when using other software and I can sit at a normal distance and still be heard. Not with ShadowPlay.
I even tried sitting so close to the mic that my lips were pretty much toching the yeti and it still didn't sound loud enough.

So for now.. it's not worth it to record audio with SP until we get quality and volume controls for the audio. Just use audacity in the background and sync it up with your video editing software afterwards.

Whoops, apparently the yeti wasn't set as my default device after plugging my webcam out and back in again the other day so it was using that.. my bad, it sounds great. :)

Yes this works very well and I have not seen any performance hit recording to a separate drive.

The only issue I have is there is no easy way to edit the video.

Personally I find windows movie maker does 90% of what I need to do with any shadowplay recorded footage :-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/movie-maker#t1=overview

It is pretty simplistic to use and everything is more or less drag and drop. Sure it lacks the sophistication of other packages but then it is relatively easy to pick up and edit stuff with it.

I an totally loving shadowplay the only fly in the ointment is the fact I still can't record minecraft footage with it :-( I get the feeling this is one of those problems that will never be solved.

vazel

Banned
Good update. I was seriously considering upgrading to Win8 only for ShadowPlay, but now I don't have to.

Excuse my ignorance. I'm not quite sure how Shadowplay writes to drives.

Would having it dump to the SSD in my system as opposed to the traditional storage drive be detrimental to the health of the SSD? Does it produce a large amount of writes during this process, or no more than any traditional writing of large files? I have noticed the firmware on my storage drive spinning the damn thing down occasionally when usage isn't heavy and then spinning up again for writing these videos to it can cause some multi-second hiccups I'd prefer to avoid.

I'm only just getting into this recording shenanigans so I'm not entirely certain.

The 1.8 update is pretty dope though.

Excuse my ignorance. I'm not quite sure how Shadowplay writes to drives.

Would having it dump to the SSD in my system as opposed to the traditional storage drive be detrimental to the health of the SSD? Does it produce a large amount of writes during this process, or no more than any traditional writing of large files? I have noticed the firmware on my storage drive spinning the damn thing down occasionally when usage isn't heavy and then spinning up again for writing these videos to it can cause some multi-second hiccups I'd prefer to avoid.

I'm only just getting into this recording shenanigans so I'm not entirely certain.

The 1.8 update is pretty dope though.

IIRC, Shadowplay records to wherever your TEMP environment variable points to before moving it to your desired location. I have an SSD in my system and one of the first things I did was create a ramdisk and point all of my TEMP environment variables to it.

feel

Aaww I'm getting this crazy loud electric interference noise coupled with a framerate dip in my clips every 5 seconds with mic recording on. :(
Was testing it with a wireless xbox headset at the time, works fine with my regular wired headset.

Pretty awesome that now in my clips my friends are not speaking alone like lunatics on CSGO and you can finally hear me replying.. lol
And turns out I talk incessantly, like an rambling parrot that is a bit of an idiot.. smh

Durante

IIRC, Shadowplay records to wherever your TEMP environment variable points to before moving it to your desired location. I have an SSD in my system and one of the first things I did was create a ramdisk and point all of my TEMP environment variables to it.
Yeah, it does write to TEMP. Not as good as a native setting but just changing that should work.

Paz

Yesssssssssssssssss if that 60fps LOCK is correct then Shadow Play is now amazingly useful for making quick gameplay videos. I tried to use it to create our last game trailer (since it would drastically speed up the process compared to capturing and working with 1080p/60 FRAPS, and also reliably run at 60 no matter what I throw at it) but it was capturing at odd variable framerates (61, 62 etc) which meant I had to rework all the files in complicated ways in order to keep audio sync.

It's not as marvelous as 1080p/60/uncompressed fraps but ultimately people only see the terrible 30fps super compressed YouTube versions of my trailer anyway (0.000001% click the download HQ links) so the speed & convenience of Shadow Play is potentially very useful for me. Will be using it a lot more in the future and maybe making a lot more small pieces of video content.

teokrazia

Sweet.
Let's rock!

Top Bottom