• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Subreddit mods "verifying" the the source of NX *RUMORS.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
If anything about the rumors for marketing, targeting at blue ocean, multiplayer etc are true, you know it won't be a 3d mario right.

Those rumors are weird, the price seems really high for what they want to achieve.

Caffeine

why would they make mock up packaging for marketing with the prototype name and a redacted image.

anyway this is our weekly nx rumor thread and i'm getting tired of these for 6 months now lol nintendo please announce it already

hwy_61

Banned
Four titles, one of them Zelda?

What could be in the bundle for an extra $100, games or some extra hardware? like with the WiiU Premium version?

How can this be a handheld if the box is slightly bigger than a WiiU box? the only thing I can think of and have mentioned before if the handheld part connected into a larger unit like the NeoGeo X Gold.

The handheld cannot be bigger than a Vita imo otherwise it is going to be too big to carry about, I have a Vita and also a original 3DS, both fit in my pocket, I have a Kindle HDX 7" and that is too big to carry about in a pocket, I am sorry but a handheld shouldn't have to be carried about in a (large) bag/rucksack.

I'm with you, but if this is targeting a younger demographic, then that's probably not going to be a big issue.

I see kids with fuckin iPads in restaurants all the time lol

El Topo

What's with the rumours where the NX's packaging is out and yet people still don't know the final name? Is Nintendo going to change the name post-launch?

I assume the person who made up this stuff doesn't want to come up with a fake name, so they just claim it still says NX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That was my exact first thought too. The system has the potential to be amazing (full games on TV and/or Handheld) or a massive missed potential (TV/dock versions of games and small mobile type games for the handheld). If it's the latter then I'm not interested.

Pretty much. Practically what this rumour and the one from boogie describe is an evolution of Wii U with the Gamepad having a bit of power but not enough. Awful idea. And expensive. Luckily it's most probably not the case for the real NX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Mario game could be a port of Mario Maker with more themes. It would make more sense in combination with Zelda, rather than a new Mario game, more so a 3d one.

there's no way the next 3D Mario is 1-2 years away. They've been working on the next one since early 2014.

Unless they're working on some other big game in-between like DK Jungle Beat in-between Sunshine and Galaxy, but that would have to be a very recent development.

Worst case scenario its another fuckin' NSMB game with those same tired aesthetic choices and mechanics we've seen a million times now

Kouriozan

Mario Maker port on NX was a safe bet, but then I don't see them releasing another port of that game 3 months after the 3DS version.
Maybe if they can give a NX code of the game for those who bought the 3DS version, hmm...

hwy_61

Banned
there's no way the next 3D Mario is 1-2 years away. They've been working on the next one since early 2014.

Unless they're working on some other big game in-between like DK Jungle Beat in-between Sunshine and Galaxy, but that would have to be a very recent development.

Worst case scenario its another fuckin' NSMB game with those same tired aesthetic choices and mechanics we've seen a million times now

What if it's a side scroller, but this time, Bowser uses some kind of weird time machine thing that makes it go from pixels to 16bit to 8bit? Then you're having to go from NSMB through NES super Mario. Even in the middle of the level, shits just changing on the fly. You got fuckin 8 bit goombas and modern koopa troopas coming at you on the same level.

Stulaw

Features and Specs

4k streaming has been mentioned. - What this likely means is playback of content such as Netflix, etc. Not gameplay.
1080p and 60fps are being used by the marketing teams in relation to gameplay on to the console portion. I've heard unconfirmed rumblings of 900p for the infamous hybrid part of the device.

Anyone remember this?

A bit too similar, don't you think?

Mario Maker port on NX was a safe bet, but then I don't see them releasing another port of that game 3 months after the 3DS version.
Maybe if they can give a NX code of the game for those who bought the 3DS version, hmm...

They'll give 10% off and a free theme and that's all.

120v

once they announced it for 3DS i assumed the NX version would be a full sequel or something. i don't see it rehashing it a 3rd time but maybe

i expect a lot of "semi-sequels" around launch. like a splatoon 1.5, smash 4.5 ect

I know I'm late, but

What's with the rumours where the NX's packaging is out and yet people still don't know the final name? Is Nintendo going to change the name post-launch?

My assumption is they have sent some packaging mockups so stores can decide in advance how to arrange things on shelves, but it doesn't really tell anything but "name goes here, hardware shot goes here, here's the width of the box" etc. yet, so even colors are preliminary. Some other pieces of the rumour contrast with this hypothesis though.

blackjaw

4 titles, $400....no thanks Nintendo

Personally the value isn't there yet; unlike my younger self, I can wait to play a Zelda or Mario for a year or more

Too many other great games out and too little time

what-ok

My assumption is they have sent some packaging mockups so stores can decide in advance how to arrange things on shelves, but it doesn't really tell anything but "name goes here, hardware shot goes here, here's the width of the box" etc. yet, so even colors are preliminary. Some other pieces of the rumour contrast with this hypothesis though.

Seems early for box art to be making the rounds. There is plenty of empty space in any Nintendo section for what comes next March.

Oersted

I call nonsense.

I know I'm late, but

Because its made up and they don't know the name

What if it's a side scroller, but this time, Bowser uses some kind of weird time machine thing that makes it go from pixels to 16bit to 8bit? Then you're having to go from NSMB through NES super Mario. Even in the middle of the level, shits just changing on the fly. You got fuckin 8 bit goombas and modern koopa troopas coming at you on the same level.

I would buy the fuck out of that...!

4 titles, $400....no thanks Nintendo

Personally the value isn't there yet; unlike my younger self, I can wait to play a Zelda or Mario for a year or more

Too many other great games out and too little time

Good that you made your decision based on a Reddit rumor.
Also, the price they mention is 300.

OCD Guy

Just officially announce this thing, please.

Any rumors on when this thing is going to be unveiled?

Yes this rumor mentions demo units in Feb, but they'll obviously unveil it before then.

Sethbacca

The only thing that could save this at $299 would be a Poke' MMO. Closer to $200 with some BC I'd be interested since I missed the Wii U gen.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again: A "leak" mentioning pricing is not worth even looking at. I also don't trust those Reddit mods at all. I'm not buying this in the least.

TAS

The NX will be minimum $249. In fact, if it launched at that price I would be shocked.The 3DS launched at the same price for Pete's sake! So we are talking about the most powerful handheld ever with a 720p screen and console-level graphics for $199? lol

OCD Guy

Emily Rogers said October.

Thanks.

Oh man I hope that's true.

The NX is easily my most anticipated gaming hardware over PS4 Pro, and Scorpio.

I'll be purchasing all 3 (as usual) but with those 2 consoles I'm just going to get shinier versions of what I already have.

You know Nintendo are going to bring something different....

It's unlikely but please put an oled screen up in there lol, oh and make the build quality good. I don't want a plastic finish with loose buttons and crappy lcd like the Wii U gamepad.

Kyzer

Banned
The NX will be minimum $249. In fact, if it launched at that price I would be shocked.The 3DS launched at the same price for Pete's sake! So we are talking about the most powerful handheld ever with a 720p screen and console-level graphics for $199? lol

Yep. I'm expecting 349.

Everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment and it's not even realistic. 3DS is $199 right now and people expect a portable Wii U+ to match that price

Maybe the game just visually turns into Super Mario World when you lift it off the dock.

ekim

Sounds like nonsense. Why would reailers ever need boxart with blurred out images on?

Maybe Nintendo made a mockup kiosk for preorders and stuff. Or they simply showed the package so the retailers can plan the appearance in the shops. You usually plan this stuff to make the branding coherent. Corporate identity blah.

Shiggy

PS4 and Xbox 1 are already 200-250€. Those systems are supposedly more powerful than NX, and they have a much larger library. Nintendo doesn't exist in an equilibrium. They need to price their system at 250€ or less to be competitive.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is ludicrous. Codename still on material, Blue/white Wii color scheme packaging when Nintendo has actively tried to break away from that entire marketing campaign. No way this is real.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Yep. I'm expecting 349.

Everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment and it's not even realistic. 3DS is $199 right now and people expect a portable Wii U+ to match that price

I think that Nintendo knows it would flop at that price, and if they were forced to price it that high to meet targets they would scale it back heavily to hit $250 or lower. 3DS right now has both a large profit margin and expensive custom parts and architectures that nobody else uses. NX won't have that problem. $200 is possible, $250 is most likely, $300 is the absolute max. $350 isn't happening unless it has an expensive gimmick or Nintendo is completely stupid and goes for a large margin (they won't).

Hermii

Am I imagining it or did some of these NX "leakers" say September too? We all know how that turned out.

To be honest at this stage I don't think Nintendo are going to officially unveil anything in 2016.
EG said September your right.

I'm still team October. Announcement of the reveal next week, reveal in 2 weeks.

OCD Guy

PS4 and Xbox 1 are already 200-250€. Those systems are supposedly more powerful than NX, and they have a much larger library. Nintendo doesn't exist in an equilibrium. They need to price their system at 250€ or less to be competitive.

Those systems have undergone price drops though.

Nintendo do their own thing, and power alone isn't an indicator of price. There are many examples of less powerful hardware costing more.

I also don't think direct comparisons can be made, especially if it's a hybrid. Look at the Wii U and pricing, that RRP didn't budge one bit, regardless of what the other consoles were doing.

I'm not saying it's the best route to take, just that Nintendo is stubborn and the pricing and spec of other consoles is irrelevant to them.

I also truly believe that like the cost of the Wii U gamepad (which played a massive part in the price of the Wii U), the NX will have some sort of technology or feature that means the cost of the item remains unusually high, regardless of the spec.

LoveCake

I'm with you, but if this is targeting a younger demographic, then that's probably not going to be a big issue.

I see kids with fuckin iPads in restaurants all the time lol

Are parents (the chances own a PS4/X1) going to spend money on a Nintendo console though, when a cheap tablet can run all the F2P games or just spend the money on games for the children for their current console?

Are youngsters the wrong demographic for Nintendo, parents I would think would want one console that covers all bases and that will need to be the primary console.

I have had all the Nintendo consoles and still have most of them including my WiiU that I got at launch, but lesson has been leant now, I don't pre-order unless it's GTA or Forza game and I will be waiting to see when getting a new console I wait, I waited six months after release to get a PS4 and waited twelve months before getting a X1 and I only got a X1 because I was able to get one for half price (brand new due to the Game UK share offer).

If these rumors have any basis in truth then its going to be some time if ever that I get a NX, I have the money waiting now to buy a NX even at £400 I am lucky to be in that position, but I am going to wait and see and join the band-wagon like everyone else.

People wait to see what games are releasing, devs/pubs wait and see how many people are buying, devs/pubs don't release many games because not enough people are buying a NX, people don't buy a NX because not enough games are being released.

Isn't it nailed on that its a cartridge based system already though?

With any price of the NX will a external HDD need to be added into the equation as well like was the case with the WiiU?

With nothing actually said by Nintendo at this time a March 2017 release is seeming very optimistic indeed.

The market the NX is targeting is Android gaming tablets not PS4 and Xbones.

If it launches at more than $200 it will be dead on arrival.

You don't capture the low end of the market with high end prices. If the $400 price point is true then Nintendo have failed to learn from their many missteps with the Wii U.

Caffeine

Am I imagining it or did some of these NX "leakers" say September too? We all know how that turned out.

To be honest at this stage I don't think Nintendo are going to officially unveil anything in 2016.

I remember just EG said sept. all the other leakers were after that and most of them said october. maybe it was supposed to be sept, and changed. will find out over the next 3 weeks if not I dont expect any announcement this year lol. I still doubt the targeted march release window lol.

Shiggy

Those systems have undergone price drops though.

Doesn't matter when those are the systems Nintendo is competing with. Look how Wii U failed when it competed with PS3 and X360.

Nintendo do their own thing, and power alone isn't an indicator of price. There are many examples of less powerful hardware costing more.

Again, Nintendo is in a competitive environment and thus cannot randomly set prices if they want to succeed.

I also don't think direct comparisons can be made, especially if it's a hybrid. Look at the Wii U and pricing, that RRP didn't budge one bit, regardless of what the other consoles were doing.

And you see how Wii U fared in the market. Price didn't go further down as Nintendo just gave it up completely.

I'm not saying it's the best route to take, just that Nintendo is stubborn and the pricing and spec of other consoles is irrelevant to them.

You might be right about that. But that would just lead to their further demise. I'm somewhat optimistic that they learnt a lesson this generation. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Kuraudo

Banned
I know I'm late, but

It's possible that Nintendo haven't revealed the official name to retailers as that would be the easiest thing to leak, but they have shown them mock-ups of the packaging with the codename as a placeholder.

I doubt anything in 2016 as well. Its so late in the year, the holiday madness is going to start soon, why announce something now only for people to forget about it during the Christmas crush?

NCL seems dead set on fooling themselves into thinking they are Apple, and can generate mainstream hype and big sales with a short reveal-launch campaign. I think thats way off the mark and has a good chance of blowing up on them. They have already guaranteed themselves huge amounts of disappointment and venom from their hardcore fans with the extended silence, and if they fail to make a splash and garner immediate strong mainstream interest they will leave little to no time to turn it around before launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom