• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they have nothing coming out for Wii U after Paper Mario. They literally can't afford to go a full year with no releases, which is what you're suggesting

I'm suggesting if they are bluffing to competitors it comes out this year. If they are putting on a show for investors it gets delayed until the fall of 2017.

March makes no sense given it splits the launch among fiscal calendars.

The timing of release seems odd as well. March will allow them to sneak in this fiscal year but the benefits wouldn't be recognized until the following fiscal year. Part of my feels like they are bluffing to throw off competition or on the other hand they are lying to investors to give them breathing room until next year, pull the carpet from under their feet, and delay until following Holiday.

The timing makes literally no sense from a business perspective.
3DS came out in March too. Personally I've always thought the whole "release everything at the same time in November" was dumb, because while it capitalizes on Christmas, it also leads to tons of competition. Some seriously great games have flopped because of that. Nintendo separating themselves from that nonsense seems like a great idea to me. Also note, this gives Nintendo more time to manufacture launch units, so it won't sell out (or if it does, it means that many more units sold at launch).

what-ok

So, what are they going to talk about at E3 then? It seems like all they have is Zelda. Everything else has already been released or revealed. Can they really spend the entire time focusing on Zelda?

I guess Zelda is going to be HUGE. I feel it.
Side note... I had a dream last night that FROM was jumping on board with the NX for a new IP. It was glorious, then I woke up. )=

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Missed opportunity for huge press/hype. But it's Nintendo so I'm not very surprised. Looking forward to watching muppets announce the NX in mid December.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is giving me Nintendo 64 delay flashbacks. Totally wouldn't be surprised to see the NX launch in September of 2017.

Vitor711

So they're gonna let MS and Sony go into 2017 with newly announced consoles (to an extent) that may be released by Christmas and not have anything to compare those to? Seems like awful, awful planning.

People who don't follow news like this won't be getting one of each. They'll make their big spend, get blindsided by the marketing for NX on launch and not have the will to buy another console for a while.

Sure, it won't affect the Nintendo hardcore but it's a terrible move for the mass market. Especially when the PS4 has so much mindshare.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haha the Wii U will probably have the weakest yearly lineup of a console EVER.

In fact Nintendo hasn't really released a decent console game since Splatoon in May 2015.
When the NX finally releases it would have almost Two full years since Nintendo has put out anything worthwhile. Talk about a software drought of epic proportions ;-)

Reminds me of Wii all over again.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well, an event is happening and for all I know it will be done at some place with press invites and all.

You have some proof? That it's not going to be a fucking stupid NIntendo Direct? Which would be the worst thing imaginable for showing and exposing your console. It shows little faith in your console by going small scale for exposure.

Nintendo needs to be in fucking time square or something along those lines with a big event that shows how excited they are as a company about their product. It's the reason companies like Apple do so well.

It's the reason PS4 is doing so well.

If they seriously just try some live Nintendo direct bullshit, it's over for the console before it even releases.

3DS came out in March too. Personally I've always thought the whole "release everything at the same time in November" was dumb, because while it capitalizes on Christmas, it also leads to tons of competition. Some seriously great games have flopped because of that. Nintendo separating themselves from that nonsense seems like a great idea to me. Also note, this gives Nintendo more time to manufacture launch units, so it won't sell out (or if it does, it means that many more units sold at launch).

And the 3DS struggled WORSE than the PSP when it launched because it was at a weird time and grossly overpriced.

DSl1BAi.jpg

killroy87

Are we taking this as assuming that Zelda will literally be their entire E3 presence (meaning no Direct, or just a Zelda-focused direct), or that Zelda will simply be the only thing playable on the show floor.

It seems odd to me that Nintendo won't even have one 3DS game to announce....

So they're gonna let MS and Sony go into 2017 with newly announced consoles (to an extent) that may be released by Christmas and not have anything to compare those to? Seems like awful, awful planning.

People who don't follow news like this won't be getting one of each. They'll make their big spend, get blindsided by the marketing for NX on launch and not have the will to buy another console for a while.

Sure, it won't affect the Nintendo hardcore but it's a terrible move for the mass market. Especially when the PS4 has so much mindshare.

I really don't think the PS4k or whatever Xbox has in store will be released by Christmas either to be fair. All info puts them at around the same timeframe as the NX at the earliest from what I've seen

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But they can't really have Treehouse with only 1 game playable...

It's not Nintendo fault you don't like XCX, but it was a "decent console game"

I wonder if Treehouse isn't happening this year.

Wolfie5

Why hasn't this been posted?

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

I know it's not much, but definitely sounds like they really want to make sure they have enough games ready to go and that's why it's not releasing this year.

Well then, from the sound of this it doesn´t seem to be a hardware issue. I wouldn´t be suprised if it delayed further anyway. I don´t think NX will launch before Zelda is ready as a launch title or very close to be done.

Not showing NX at E3 (june), only 8 months to launch is weird. Very secretive Nintendo, maybe too much?
At least tell us the name of the console. Would be nice for third parties(the ones that will release a game anyway) to announce a NX version for games that are coming next year. Not ruling out that Nintendo won´t tell us the name before E3 yet.

andthebeatgoeson

Retro has to be doing SOMETHING .

Hell even if it isn't Retro the rest of Nintendo internal has to be doing SOMETHING other than Zelda.

It isn't like their first party studios have been releasing a shit ton of Wii U or 3ds games lately.

Isn't it about time to sell them to MS for a bunch of money?

MK_768

And you think the mass-market is going to spend $400 on a PS4K or XB1?

entremet

lol Head in the sand for sure.

"Joe Walmart Gamer" doesn't even know who Nintendo is anymore as they haven't been important to them since the Wii died. Their kids are playing PlayStations, cell phones and tablets. So, by your logic, Nintendo is pretty fucked no matter what.
They have their work cut out for them. But I'm skeptical at e3 doing much.

But that's there problem to figure out not mine.

Are we taking this as assuming that Zelda will literally be their entire E3 presence (meaning no Direct, or just a Zelda-focused direct), or that Zelda will simply be the only thing playable on the show floor.

It seems odd to me that Nintendo won't even have one 3DS game to announce....

It's the only thing on the show floor. I guarantee you Pokemon Sun Moon will be featured to some extent for instance

Retro has to be doing SOMETHING .

Hell even if it isn't Retro the rest of Nintendo internal has to be doing SOMETHING other than Zelda.

It isn't like their first party studios have been releasing a shit ton of Wii U or 3ds games lately.
I just hope it's an NX game. A ways back I thought it was a Wii U game, then I was sure it was a NX game, now I am "worried" it'll be their holiday Wii U game this year. It would seem to be a waste with what's going on with the Wii U and unlikely but it's Nintendo and they could have Donkey Kong Country 3 by Christmas and a trailer at E3. I'm fine with another Expand Dong but I hope their game is a 2017 NX title.

Nzyme32

Wouldn't E3 help get people pumped for the NX? I'm confused.

Not really. It would just get drowned out by everything else and not be a focal point. E3 is just filled with the noise of everything else and limits them to a simple 2hrs presentation and some floor space with everything else. It's a crap way to engage with people with so much noise and so little room to do something genuinely interesting and unique outside of the E3 formatting and requirements.

Nintendo doing their own event is a far better idea, allowing them to not be restricted to a single presentation, and making them and NX the focal point.

And 3DS garnered a ton of negative press for being such a shitty launch (price was largely to blame too though). The system didn't receive any solid traction until that Holiday season.

It's not dumb to launch in the Holidays. They create a toy. Toys are purchased during the Holidays. It makes business sense to launch in the busiest time of the year. It's their job to articulate the value of the system and games to the customer so they buy it. Which they have done a terrible job of doing over the years.

Nanashrew

Banned
You have some proof? That it's not going to be a fucking stupid NIntendo Direct? Which would be the worst thing imaginable for showing and exposing your console. It shows little faith in your console by going small scale for exposure.

Nintendo needs to be in fucking time square or something along those lines with a big event that shows how excited they are as a company about their product. It's the reason companies like Apple do so well.

It's the reason PS4 is doing so well.

If they seriously just try some live Nintendo direct bullshit, it's over for the console before it even releases.

Well I said "for all I know" because I don't know.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

If you remember, 3DS's launch was shit and Nintendo had to scramble to right the damn thing before it became a disaster.

keero16

Neo Member
LOL. Top 10 Wii U games of 2016

1. Star Fox Zero
2. Paper Mario: Color Smash
3. ehhh Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games?
4. Heeeeelp

Haha the Wii U will probably have the weakest yearly lineup of a console EVER.

In fact Nintendo hasn't really released a decent console game since Splatoon in May 2015.
When the NX finally releases it would have almost Two full years since Nintendo has put out anything worthwhile. Talk about a software drought of epic proportions ;-)

There is Twilight Princess HD and Pokken, if those count. And if you want to stretch it, Star Fox Guard.

But I get what you mean. It's pretty sad.

And the 3DS struggled WORSE than the PSP when it launched because it was at a weird time and grossly overpriced.
I don't think it flopped due to release date - it sold out in March. 3DS launch went great. It was a few months later that it started flopping, and the main reason was lack of AAA Nintendo franchises. Even dropping the price didn't bring back sales, it was the release of Mario Kart and 3D Mario Land that saved 3DS.

I just can't get past how this thing is supposed to be ready to launch in Q1 of next year if it's not ready for an E3 reveal. Even 3DS, their last Q1 hardware launch of a new platform, managed a strong E3 reveal, and yet the actual launch that followed was still miserably half-baked, with no killer app and crucial features like the eShop missing from the OS.

It makes no sense.

It makes me think this March release date is a big fat lie. How can they NOT show it off at e3 if its coming out in march?

And having said the above, I don't agree with this talk of March being a "lie" or "farce" or whatever at all.

I don't mean that the launch date can't and won't possibly be delayed further. I just mean that it makes no sense for a publicly traded company to lie to its shareholders just to boost its FY forecast, knowing that they'll later have to revise that projection downward. There's no net benefit there versus being honest up front.

I don't think it flopped due to release date - it sold out in March. 3DS launch went great. It was a few months later that it started flopping, and the main reason was lack of AAA Nintendo franchises. Even dropping the price didn't bring back sales, it was the release of Mario Kart and 3D Mario Land that saved 3DS.

Iwata said it was already lagging behind expectations in the first investor briefing after it launched (April 2011).

But I agree, the release date wasn't the biggest problem there.

Schnozberry

If you can't get your software teams to create a small demo of a game that has to ship in 9 months, then there is a massive problem.

Timelines are tenuous with new hardware. PS4 and Xbox One had demos running on PC at their first E3. It may just be a case of things not coming together at the right time to blow things out at E3. I'm guessing E3 2011 for the Wii U weighs heavily on Nintendo.

Nia

The delay doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I never expected the NX this year. What does surprise me is the NX not being shown at E3. That is baffling, and just stupid.

Battlechili

Banned
Awesome! I'll have to start saving up. I skipped on the Wii U so I'll definitely be grabbing a NX. I really hope its backwards compatible though.

Also, I wonder how different Zelda U will be on the NX versus the Wii U version. Will it take advantage of the hardware or will it basically be the equivalent of what happened with Twilight Princess between its Gamecube and Wii releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom