• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilFox

This is a sign of how trash and unimportant E3 is and nothing more.

Oh you..

sony5.jpg

I don't care that they are launching it next year, but holy shit at the thing not being at this year's E3.

I really hope they don't announce the thing in a Direct. They need an exclusive press conference just like the one Sony had for the PS4. They need mainstream news outlets covering the console.

It makes no sense.

It makes me think this March release date is a big fat lie. How can they NOT show it off at e3 if its coming out in march?

Forget about even the system for a second. Shouldn't NX have something called...games launching along with it? Why would they not announce at least the launch titles, tell us whats coming?

I don't believe March for a second.

The only way it makes any sense is if its just the Handheld part of NX and the console comes later. If that even is what the system is like. But I wouldn't know, since they won't fucking tell anybody.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LOL people still talking about Metroid as a NX launch title.

Retro has to be doing SOMETHING .

Hell even if it isn't Retro the rest of Nintendo internal has to be doing SOMETHING other than Zelda.

It isn't like their first party studios have been releasing a shit ton of Wii U or 3ds games lately.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the press release said Zelda would be the only "playable" game shown at E3, so I guess they'll still have a digital event.

The_Lump

Banned
I really don't think Wii U would have fared much better if it were revealed at E3 2012.

Not debating that at all. but I certainly think it didn't help to release it so long after showing it. Nintendo have said as much as well (i think, can't find the quote I'm thinking of now)

entremet

E3 is the event where Sony took control of the industry two years in a row. Sony's E3 before PS4 launch put that system on lock for being the console market leader for a generation to come. Sony's E3 2015 was a dream event that was talked about on major news networks. Caught both the eye of casual and hardcore.

Are you serious with this?

e3 had nothing to do with the PS4's amongst Joe Walmart gamer.

Great pricing, 3rd party support, and strong momentum did this.

Hardcore gamers really oversell e3 importance.

jonno394

How the Nintendo section is setup should be interesting. If it's all dedicated to Zelda (not just the new game but likely the franchise overall) it could be a thing of wonder to see. Think about how a renaissance fair looks. Nintendo could go all out here to show off the new Zelda game.

That's what it is sounding like.

Just a shame they can't go all out to show us their next console instead of a game we won't be playing until when/after said console is released.

So, what are they going to talk about at E3 then? It seems like all they have is Zelda. Everything else has already been released or revealed. Can they really spend the entire time focusing on Zelda?

Menitta

Assuming that dev kits aren't out, and that production hasn't started, sure.

They couldn't totally reinvent it but they could easily step up the CPU/GPU to the next model from whoever they'partnering with, put in more RAM etc.

There was that rumour that dev kits were sent out. I highly doubt production has started though. Whatever games are made for it will probably just run better if they change it. I'm not tech savvy btw.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oh there will be droughts... Heh

If the goal is shared library, we'll probably see a lot less of them. They'll be there, but probably less prominent because of it since they're working on a single "platform." Single game that works on two systems rather than having two teams work on two versions of the same game for two systems like the Wii U and 3DS situation currently is. There's no way to remove droughts entirely, but they're looking to make a proper ecosystem citing Apple as their biggest reason for it.

the idea of evolutionary console systems is to make the library the main focus. PS4K, Xbox 1.5, NX and its next iteration or Nintendo's SCD patent are that. The focus is the library.

Schnozberry

It makes no sense.

It makes me think this March release date is a big fat lie. How can they NOT show it off at e3 if its coming out in march?

Forget about even the system for a second. Shouldn't NX have something called...games launching along with it? Why would they not announce at least the launch titles, tell us whats coming?

I don't believe March for a second.

The only way it makes any sense is if its just the Handheld part of NX and the console comes later. If that even is what the system is like. But I wouldn't know, since they won't fucking tell anybody.

Maybe they just don't want to show off an unfinished hardware design and unpolished software? Perish the thought. They already announced it would be shown off at it's own event later this year.

keero16

Neo Member
So, what are they going to talk about at E3 then? It seems like all they have is Zelda. Everything else has already been released or revealed. Can they really spend the entire time focusing on Zelda?

You don't think they have any games at all that they're keeping a secret? I expect maybe 1 or 2 surprises at least. They could be trash games like Ultra Smash and Amiibo Festival, but still

I can totally see nintendo doing a GC>Wii WiiU>NX.

If with all the cash they made with the Wii... they released the WiiU a consola that even can't play DVD movies... what to expect of a console announced in a media fiscal year balance event...
What technology is out there today at an affordable price that exists in a non-saturated market or a market where there are no entrenched competitors at this moment or for the next 2-3 years? Because that's ultimately why the Wii took off, because it was a perfect Blue Ocean product and there wasn't anything like it at the time. What's the 2017 Blue Ocean equivalent Nintendo can tap into?

Because imho there's nothing they can do competitors aren't already doing on an affordable or somewhat-affordable level. The Blue Ocean this time is much different than it was in 2006, and it might be too costly for Nintendo to want to take a swim in it. People need to keep that in mind.

If the goal is shared library, we'll probably see a lot less of them. They'll be there, but probably less prominent because of it since they're working on a single "platform." Single game that works on two systems rather than having two teams work on two versions of the same game for two systems like the Wii U and 3DS situation currently is. There's no way to remove droughts entirely, but they're looking to make a proper ecosystem citing Apple as their biggest reason for it.

the idea of evolutionary console systems is to make the library the main focus. PS4K, Xbox 1.5, NX and its next iteration or Nintendo's SCD patent are that. The focus is the library.
This isn't going to resolve the software drought problem the way you're thinking it will.

Besides that, the shared library thing, in this fashion, isn't that much of a selling point. Any game designed for both is going to have compromises in its design and structure that wouldn't exist if it was just being developed for one or the other.

Maybe they just don't want to show off an unfinished hardware design and unpolished software? Perish the thought. They already announced it would be shown off at it's own event later this year.

If it is coming out in March then they have to have something to show by e3.

When is it going to be ready to show, November?

You don't think they have any games at all that they're keeping a secret? I expect maybe 1 or 2 surprises at least. They could be trash games like Ultra Smash and Amiibo Festival, but still

Don't forget the Paper Mario game Paper Mario fans don't want.

And the Metroid game Metroid fans don't want.

The timing of release seems odd as well. March will allow them to sneak in this fiscal year but the benefits wouldn't be recognized until the following fiscal year. Part of my feels like they are bluffing to throw off competition or on the other hand they are lying to investors to give them breathing room until next year, pull the carpet from under their feet, and delay until following Holiday.

The timing makes literally no sense from a business perspective.

Toxi

Banned
Retro has to be doing SOMETHING .

Hell even if it isn't Retro the rest of Nintendo internal has to be doing SOMETHING other than Zelda.

It isn't like their first party studios have been releasing a shit ton of Wii U or 3ds games lately.
That's exactly what people said at the tail-end of the Wii.

Welcome to Disappointmentville, population: Everyone in this thread.

In retrospect, it makes sense why they decided to delay Starfox in September from November to April. Because they'd have nothing from November 2015 to March 2017 otherwise.

Holy fuck.

The timing of release seems odd as well. March will allow them to sneak in this fiscal year but the benefits wouldn't be recognized until the following fiscal year. Part of my feels like they are bluffing to throw off competition or on the other hand they are lying to investors to give them breathing room until next year, pull the carpet from under their feet, and delay until following Holiday.

The timing makes literally no sense from a business perspective.

But they have nothing coming out for Wii U after Paper Mario. They literally can't afford to go a full year with no releases, which is what you're suggesting

Grief51

Banned
LOL. Top 10 Wii U games of 2016

1. Star Fox Zero
2. Paper Mario: Color Smash
3. ehhh Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games?
4. Heeeeelp

Haha the Wii U will probably have the weakest yearly lineup of a console EVER.

In fact Nintendo hasn't really released a decent console game since Splatoon in May 2015.
When the NX finally releases it would have almost Two full years since Nintendo has put out anything worthwhile. Talk about a software drought of epic proportions ;-)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
e3 had nothing to do with the PS4's amongst Joe Walmart gamer.

Great pricing, 3rd party support, and strong momentum did this.

Hardcore gamers really oversell e3 importance.

lol Head in the sand for sure.

"Joe Walmart Gamer" doesn't even know who Nintendo is anymore as they haven't been important to them since the Wii died. Their kids are playing PlayStations, cell phones and tablets. So, by your logic, Nintendo is pretty fucked no matter what.

Linkhero1

This thread is huge. Have they given a reason for the 2017 release? They have nothing in 2016. My hype for e3 is close to non-existent.

So the press release said Zelda would be the only "playable" game shown at E3, so I guess they'll still have a digital event.

But they can't really have Treehouse with only 1 game playable...

1. Star Fox Zero
4. Heeeeelp

Haha the Wii U will probably have the weakest yearly lineup of a console EVER.

In fact Nintendo hasn't really released a decent console game since Splatoon in May 2015.
When the NX finally releases it would have almost Two full years since Nintendo has put out anything worthwhile. Talk about a software drought of epic proportions ;-)

It's not Nintendo fault you don't like XCX, but it was a "decent console game"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

This time, between the restructuring and looking at the internal-made lineup for both devices, not just one, it's very different though. Sorry, but it's a straight-up ill-made comparison

ironcreed

Banned
Missing out on the holidays and not even showing it at E3 seems nuts. I would not be surprised to see it delayed again until November 2017.

MK_768

But were those people wrong? At he end of Wii, the focus for Nintendo shifted to 3DS. That showed in 3DS getting a lot of content while Wii U went through a horrendous drought.

1. Star Fox Zero
4. Heeeeelp

Haha the Wii U will probably have the weakest yearly lineup of console EVER.

The top game of 2016 is a remastered

CronoShot

If you can't get your software teams to create a small demo of a game that has to ship in 9 months, then there is a massive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom