• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFurbs

Nintendo doing their own thing again and not giving a fuck.

I'm actually glad I don't buy their products, it's a perpetual cycle of being fucked off.

4Tran

I have to own-up to this. I was wrong.

I told anyone that suggested a 2017 launch that they didn't understand the importance of Q4 on financials, that they were ignoring the fact that the last few Nintendo console launches have all happened in late November, and that Nintendo's game lineup for the back half of 2016 was being intentionally left open because that was when dozens of titles would be released at the NX's launch.

I completely missed.
It feels a lot more like Nintendo was aiming for 2016, and they missed. It's a pretty huge blunder too.

imjust1n

Banned
You know what I'm actually glad... Becuase I have too much to buy this Christmas with playstation neo coming out and psvr my wallet is broke. Gives me some time to recoup money especially that's during tax season in USA so bring it on Nintendo.

A holiday packed with a ton of other devices competing for consumers wallets? Good choice by nintendo.

What you said might sense to you, but this is not how this works. :) Look up the Holiday sales worldwide. There's no way Nintendo can benefit from missing the period when most things are sold. It doesn't matter what the competition is. Black Friday is about quantity not quality :)

Very much doubt casuals watch e3 on tv. Especially since nintendos conference is on when most of america is at work.

WHAT?! This is literally the only time when casuals follow gaming. This is the only reason why E3 exists. Not because anyone will watch the conferences, but because news networks will actually plan to dedicate time to reporting on the games conferences.

Look, I don't have anything against Nintendo, but you are stretching the logic here. Anything can happen and this delay could benefit them. But from historic perspective missing a Holiday and missing E3 will not help you sell things.

Bl@de

As soon as i saw 2017 my immediate thought was Polaris, then powerful, then greater potential for third party.

Prepare to be disappointed. I doubt Nintendo is looking for technological leadership in the console marketplace. That time is long gone. The way they diversify (amusement parks, amiibos, mobile apps etc.) show that stationary gaming hardware is only one thing among many ventures. Maybe not even the most important anymore.

Didn't they say something about connectivity with another Animal Crossing game(either current or future one?), so perhaps it'll be a diversion.

Not sure if being at E3 or not does anything regarding the third party relationships.

That's on the people's fault, since they never promised that.
I understand that, I honestly dont give a shit, slightly dissapointed but I know Nintedno never said that so what imma be mad for that the rumor didnt come true?

That image totals everything E3 related that hit Twitch during the expo. What are you saying besides the broad fact that "hey, people watched E3 stuff"?

You can't be serious. I'm saying 21 million people 'watched E3 stuff' on Twitch alone. An event that is irrelevant doesn't pull those kinds of viewing numbers.

Regardless of the fact that Activision, EA and Nintendo don't feel like showing up, that doesn't speak to the show's irrelevancy at all. Rockstar ditched the show years ago, some publishers just don't feel the need.

And ironically the same people posting here about how E3 is irrelevant are the same people who'd be spamming the Nintendo E3 threads Kimishima hype gifs.

TheSloth

I told anyone that suggested a 2017 launch that they didn't understand the importance of Q4 on financials, that they were ignoring the fact that the last few Nintendo console launches have all happened in late November, and that Nintendo's game lineup for the back half of 2016 was being intentionally left open because that was when dozens of titles would be released at the NX's launch.

I completely missed.

Thank you, sincerely. It's all I ask as someone who kept getting ridiculed for suggesting a 2017 release.

It feels a lot more like Nintendo was aiming for 2016, and they missed. It's a pretty huge blunder too.

Disagree. I feel it was planned. Not going to relist all the reasons I mentioned in the past, but yeah. They intended it for 2017.

I don't understand the reaction to this news about E3. Why do people care when a company announces their product? Do people know there is a marketing team that decided not to showcase the NX at E3?

I love the idea of people thinking that they know better on how to showcase and market the product of a multimillion dollar company. I love it!

I mean March 2017 is the best date to release a console in a completly tapped market against the Neo and PlaystationVR.

Things shouldn't be too easy for Nintendo.

AdanVC

It's so weird we already know the release month of NX, yet we still don't have a single clue of what NX is... Has this ever happened before with a console??

Why wouldnt a solo event accomplish the same thing?

It would! The issue with most people is that we don't have confirmation about a Nintendo-only event. People would feel a lot better if they came out and said, "Hey! Don't worry, we have another Nintendo World event coming in September! You'll hear all about the NX at that time."

I guess we'll see if they get into more specifics this afternoon. I'm not worried, I'm just confused.

HardRojo

Welp, it seems like NX will start off in a worse situation than Wii U. I hope they're keeping a lot of surprises for us, but a March release doesn't inspire much confidence :/ Holidays 2016 had to be key for NX release.

What you said might sense to you, but this is not how this works. :) Look up the Holiday sales worldwide. There's no way Nintendo can benefit from missing the period when most things are sold. It doesn't matter what the competition is. Black Friday is about quantity not quality :)

There is no way nintendo can benefit from releasing a new console with no competition from other devices three months after wallets have recovered and tax returns are on their way?

phanphare

Banned
You can't be serious. I'm saying 21 million people 'watched E3 stuff' on Twitch alone. An event that is irrelevant doesn't pull those kinds of viewing numbers.

Regardless of the fact that Activision, EA and Nintendo don't feel like showing up, that doesn't speak to the show's irrelevancy at all. Rockstar ditched the show years ago, some publishers just don't feel the need.

And ironically the same people posting here about how E3 is irrelevant are the same people who'd be spamming the Nintendo E3 threads Kimishima hype gifs.

no one is saying E3 is irrelevant

what people are saying is that E3 is losing its relevancy

MS is usually on Spike but they haven't said anything so far

I'm like 98% positive that this stopped either last year or the year prior

The Boat

When major developers and publishers start bowing out of E3 or giving it less importance, it takes relevance from the show, it's as simple as that. It doesn't mean the show is irrelevant though, it just isn't the end all be all battlefield where everything gets decided.

VillageBC

Aww, I was hoping the NX would be ready for Christmas. Does save me budget space to play around with PSVR though so at least there's that.

It would! The issue with most people is that we don't have confirmation about a Nintendo-only event. People would feel a lot better if they came out and said, "Hey! Don't worry, we have another Nintendo World event coming in September! You'll hear all about the NX at that time."

I guess we'll see if they get into more specifics this afternoon. I'm not worried, I'm just confused.

Uh, they did confirm that a Nintendo-specific event was coming after E3. No specific date yet, but it is happening.

At any rate, I'm more upset about Zelda most likely being delayed to coincide with the NX launch. I don't WANT an NX at launch, gimme my Zelda goddamn it!

They stated quality issues. I guess it could have to do with the NX, but the fact that they left it open to simply a 2017 release tells me the game could have quite a ways to go regardless.

4Tran

Disagree. I feel it was planned. Not going to relist all the reasons I mentioned in the past, but yeah. They intended it for 2017.
There's no way that Nintendo decided to sabotage FY2016 on purpose. And no E3 splash to soften the blow? That's going to hurt.

There is no way nintendo can benefit from releasing a new console with no competition from other devices three months after wallets have recovered and tax returns are on their way?

No because it's such a small amount that it doesn't make a huge impact on any industry. Just look up Holiday sales on anything. You will be surprised. :)

Red Devil

Just... please be a handheld at this stage. Please.

The idea of that dated 2011 3DS tech being expected to carry them through holiday 2017 in the handheld sector... I can't even fathom it.

Well get over it because that's what's going to happen just like with the DS before, even if the numbers are smaller now.

This event is pretty casual, and is on Spike TV. Gets covered on local news stations and etc

Yeah, but news outlets only show a few tidbits and that's it, unlike the gaming dedicated media.

I understand that, I honestly dont give a shit, slightly dissapointed but I know Nintedno never said that so what imma be mad for that the rumor didnt come true?

Clearly it isn't your case, although it appear to be the case with some people in this thread.

jonno394

I don't understand the reaction to this news about E3. Why do people care when a company announces their product? Do people know there is a marketing team that decided not to showcase the NX at E3?

I love the idea of people thinking that they know better on how to showcase and market the product of a multimillion dollar company. I love it!

There's nothing to state this is a marketing teams decision though.

jond76

Banned
So if they showed the same shit at a stage show, it would become more interesting? I guess we just disagree. That's cool.

It wouldn't change the content, but it grants them an audience that may otherwise not watch. And that is what Nintendo needs: to attract more customers.

Man, talk about worst case scenario. I had a feeling the NX wouldn't launch this year, though, so I'm not really that surprised. Makes me wonder how they will organize this E3, with only one playable games and so few future announced game that can be shown.

We will probably never know the inside baseball on this

Doesnt matter. We now only have the system itself as the unknown and thats kind of a relief

Gonna shelve the NX conversation in my mind till 2017

Thank you, sincerely. It's all I ask as someone who kept getting ridiculed for suggesting a 2017 release.

If it wasn't still coming this FY, I might agree. But missing the holidays with 3DS and Wii U in their current states does not smack of being originally planned.

TheSloth

There's no way that Nintendo decided to sabotage FY2016 on purpose. And no E3 splash to soften the blow? That's going to hurt.

Not sabotaging FY 2016, propping up 2017 more like. Also, March Sales = FY 2016. Their fiscal year ends March and starts in April, as do most other Japanese companies. Further, they've already said they're doing their own thing outside of E3.

If it wasn't still coming this FY, I might agree. But missing the holidays with 3DS and Wii U in their current states does not smack of being originally planned.

Very crowded holiday season, more time to get a launch line-up ready, etc. Not going to bother doing the whole 2016 vs 2017 again.

jond76

Banned
See here is the thing...it depends on the gamer. How you feel about Nintendo is how I feel about Microsoft. The last two E3s have really been about Sony and Nintendo for me.

You feel the way you do because you have a negative bias on Nintendo just as I have for Microsoft.

Ok, that's fair, but MS is arguably doing fine in the console space whereas Nintendo is flopping like a fish out of water.

dkeane

As long as they make a great product with great software I really don't care when they announce it or release. Just make it worth my money.

Davey Cakes

Now that we know the release schedule for Wii U is sparse, and we'll be waiting 11 months for NX, I have to wonder:

Will we see a surge of Virtual Console and eShop support to help fill the gaps?

RPGCrazied

A whole E3 over Zelda? I'm in. And its going to be the only playable game there too.

Surely though, they will show more stuff? Just not in a playable state. Doubt they are bringing just one game to E3.

Wiz

No E3 just shows how much Nintendo values the show these days (not a lot). Or it might show their confidence in showing off the NX at that point in time. But either way it's very concerning, and we still have no idea what this thing even is.

I completely missed.

You do realize that March 2017 is still Q4 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom