• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

The declining relevance of E3 is not just a Nintendo story, it's an ongoing one throughout the industry. Activision and EA have declined to book booths at the event this year as well. There's legitimate discussion to be had on the future role of the expo and its diminished importance in the eyes of publishers when multiple avenues, including direct ones, exist to better shape and control the messaging and exposure of announcements.

Why do people think e3 is for the masses and the press?

It is where business gets done. There is no replacement for it, because no way are non-indie business guys going to go to a PAX sweatbox and have the hoi polloi annoying the shit out of them.

Just because Activ and EA have decided to do their own presser for the masses + enthusiast media doesn't change e3's relevance.

Ok, lets take bets. Anyone think that March, 2017 is certain or will we see a delay to Holiday 2017? Anyone feel confident to stick with that March date?

I give it 75% odds or so of making the March date.

I certainly won't rule out a delay given the E3 no-show, but aside from GC's NA launch being delayed two weeks, Nintendo has no history of failing to make announced launch dates.

jond76

Banned
Who watches an E3 stageshow that wouldn't watch a Nintendo direct? They both target the same E3 audience, and most of the people who watch the stage shows in the room are industry people and plants. Remember the Xbox One reveal?

Me, for one. Nintendo, from my perspective, has shrunk down so much that they need to make an effort to impress me. I know I'm not alone.

I know Nintendo fans are very loyal and I think that's awesome, but as a fan of anything you typically want to see that thing do well and prosper. Sitting out the E3 before your console launch is not helping.

Maybe they will surprise us!

The Boat

I can't stop thinking about the hilarity of the NX launching a full year after VR and whatever gimmick its going to have at its core.

PSVR will have been on the market for half a year at least and Nintendo is going to get up in front of everyone and talk about another "new way to play" that will have to contend with tech that transports you to another goddamned reality. Its unfathomable.

Yeah, everyone should just stop developing new things, VR is here guys, we're done, it's not going to get any better than this!

It is where business gets done. There is no replacement for it, because no way are non-indie business guys going to go to a PAX sweatbox and have the hoi polloi annoying the shit out of them.

Just because Activ and EA have decided to do their own presser for the masses + enthusiast media doesn't change e3's relevance.
To be fair, nintendo might still show off the nx to developers behind closed doors. I wouldn't be surprised if the "not at e3" statement only applies to what the public will hear

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nintendo really hasn't done or said much this entire year. Hopefully that means EAD is furiously cranking out NX content and they'll have a nice launch lineup.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
21 million people tuned in to watch E3 last year via Twitch alone. That's not what I call irrelevant. Musings by one of the most insufferably cynical journalists on the internet doesn't change that number. They don't really show up to other tech events either. Are they all irrelevant too? Please.

Here's your proof. Take a seat:

Yep, lol.

The hyperbole is strong about E3 not meaning shit.

Griss

Just... please be a handheld at this stage. Please.

The idea of that dated 2011 3DS tech being expected to carry them through holiday 2017 in the handheld sector... I can't even fathom it.

Pinky

Banned
How are people spinning this as bad news in any way shape or form? This delaying can potentialy mean more games, better features out the box, stronger hardware. Not to mean that the console will launch at a time when there will be no other competition from sony or microsoft. All we have to do is wait.an extra 6 months. And before that time we will certainly have details concerning the hardware and concept.

Are we all just uoset because nintendo is skipping e3? They will have their own event for sure. Put money on that.

I guess im content with the wait because i have a ps4 and 3ds. But even if i didnt, the delay is for the greater good.

I'm in total agreement with you. As shocked as I am, I did layout some similar points that line up with yours.

- Large/Varied launch library
- Possible changes/upgrades to NX HW
- More time for outside devs to get their software ready

I bet the NX 2016 crowd is feeling really dumb right now.

Lol, no. Shocked and surprised? Absolutely. Dumb? No.

JTripper

Me, for one. Nintendo, from my perspective, has shrunk down so much that they need to make an effort to impress me. I know I'm not alone.

I know Nintendo fans are very loyal and I think that's awesome, but as a fan of anything you typically want to see that thing do well and prosper. Shitting out the E3 before your console launch is not helping.

I'm in the same camp. I want to see Nintendo do something amazing and impress me, so it's incredibly frustrating when they decide not to do something on their own terms and still disappoint me. It'd be a different story if their Nintendo Directs actually impressed me but they simply have a pattern of not doing that.

SuperSah

Banned
Wont be saying that after simply seeing the title screen makes your dick hard. And at least itll be shown at e3. I wonder which version they will show and whether they will demo the nx using a comparable pc

They said only the Wii U version.

Ok, lets take bets. Anyone think that March, 2017 is certain or will we see a delay to Holiday 2017? Anyone feel confident to stick with that March date?

Latter half of 2017 is my bet.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

The ONLY reason I don't see it being delayed is because Zelda was delayed a THIRD time to hit the March 2017 launch date.

If they had any indication that NX was going to hit holiday 2017, surely they would have kept the holiday 2016 date for Zelda and simply released a remaster alongside the NX launch.

Schnozberry

I think Nintendo chose wisely. Even if sony or micro show something amazing, they have their own event months down the line after the initial hype has passed. It makes perfect sense to me.

This is how it works in every other aspect of the entertainment industry. The idea of having a singular megaconference where you have to compete for attention with 150 other product announcements and demos is insane in an era when the news cycle moves swiftly and instant unfiltered overreaction is the norm. They need their own event for a console reveal, and they need to control and curate the content of their messaging very carefully.

garyizraw

Banned
No NX

Maybe Xbox

New Ps4

All the games have been leaked or announced already (at least it seems multi-plats)

This is going to be either a very interesting E3 or kind of boring

It quite literally does. You're straight up projecting importance onto the event with no real basis.

arevin01

I don't understand, how can you launch a product globally next year and not be ready to show the public in E3? This only means it will be delayed.

MK_768

I know Nintendo fans are very loyal and I think that's awesome, but as a fan of anything you typically want to see that thing do well and prosper. Shitting out the E3 before your console launch is not helping.

See here is the thing...it depends on the gamer. How you feel about Nintendo is how I feel about Microsoft. The last two E3s have really been about Sony and Nintendo for me.

You feel the way you do because you have a negative bias on Nintendo just as I have for Microsoft.

Schnozberry

I know Nintendo fans are very loyal and I think that's awesome, but as a fan of anything you typically want to see that thing do well and prosper. Sitting out the E3 before your console launch is not helping.

So if they showed the same shit at a stage show, it would become more interesting? I guess we just disagree. That's cool.

How are people spinning this as bad news in any way shape or form?

It's perceived as delay. Any delays are "bad news" by definition. I would agree with you that should not be a huge deal for customers, but if it's really a delay it's not good for nintendo. They are missing a holiday.

Red Devil

What would really make this tragic is that if NX turns out to be an inferior machine in terms of power compared to Neo and X1.5.

Which will likely be the case either way.

The declining relevance of E3 is not just a Nintendo story, it's an ongoing one throughout the industry. Activision and EA have declined to book booths at the event this year as well. There's legitimate discussion to be had on the future role of the expo and its diminished importance in the eyes of publishers when multiple avenues, including direct ones, exist to better shape and control the messaging and exposure of announcements.

Shhh, E3 is the most important thing ever in this thread.

This feels insane to me, how is Nintendo gonna make money this year, does everything hinge on Sun and Moon now?

The same way they have been doing it these past years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't stop thinking about the hilarity of the NX launching a full year after VR and whatever gimmick its going to have at its core.

PSVR will have been on the market for half a year at least and Nintendo is going to get up in front of everyone and talk about another "new way to play" that will have to contend with tech that transports you to another goddamned reality. Its unfathomable.

Except we don't know how the VR devices will perform yet.

Nintendo will showcase Zelda for the Wii U and it will be VAST. Everyone will still need more and on the last day of E3, Reggie will comment that Retro is well into their next game which is Metroid. Suckers will be appeased.

MK_768

I don't understand, how can you launch a product globally next year and not be ready to show the public in E3? This only means it will be delayed.

No. No it doesn't. It could mean Nintendo has there own event planned.

I don't know why this is a hard concept for some.

Was deciding of getting either a PS4K or NX this holiday, guess 4k it is then.

Man Nintendo will have a brutal holiday 2016 if no Zelda and no NX.

Guys, Nintendo is not "skipping E3", they're just not showing NX. My money's on them not even being sure of a March 2017 release, and they obviously want a short announcement-to-release cycle. E3 is just too early for them.

At any rate, I'm more upset about Zelda most likely being delayed to coincide with the NX launch. I don't WANT an NX at launch, gimme my Zelda goddamn it!

But what about EA, Activision, and Disney not being there? Those are pretty big 3rd party companies.

They have the dough and clout to do their own conference at the same time. They're not doing "Direct" streams on YouTube. Activision and EA at least. Disney's barely doing video games anymore and don't need the exposure.

It's perceived as delay. Any delays are "bad news" by definition. I would agree with you that should not be a huge deal for customers, but if it's really a delay it's not good for nintendo. They are missing a holiday.

A holiday packed with a ton of other devices competing for consumers wallets? Good choice by nintendo.

Bizzquik

I have to own-up to this. I was wrong.

I told anyone that suggested a 2017 launch that they didn't understand the importance of Q4 on financials, that they were ignoring the fact that the last few Nintendo console launches have all happened in late November, and that Nintendo's game lineup for the back half of 2016 was being intentionally left open because that was when dozens of titles would be released at the NX's launch.

I completely missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom