• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year was barren but with the caveat that the NX was launching soon. I can only imagine the wasteland that is Nintendo's holiday lineup.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
*Raises Hand as well*

Third raised hand. Directs are just too cheesy and boring for me, so I just read up on what was announced afterward. But I usually watch the console maker E3 stage shows.

sphinx

the piano man
I guess this is a thread I can use to ask:

after all the recent reports and events, how likely is it that we'll get NX <-> WiiU backwards compatibility??

daemonic

Banned
This isn't a bad thing. Yes we're all frothing at the mouth for an NX reveal, but Nintendo needs to take its time. It's imperative they release the system with a solid software launch and a pragmatic, long-term business plan. They would shoot themselves in the foot rushing to launch for November if they didn't have everything in order.

kevin1025

Banned
I guess this is a thread I can use to ask:

after all the recent reports and events, how likely is it that we'll get NX <-> WiiU backwards compatibility??

Still 50/50, since there's been no news that could confirm or deny it from happening, unfortunately.

Farsi

2017 release date is fine but not showing the console at E3 I think is a horrible idea. When right now Nintendo is in a prime opportunity to steal the show with PS neo and Xbox 4k getting mixed responses from the community.

Ansatz

The tone of press conferences doesn't match Nintendo's games and general feel.

Having Reggie saying how anti gravity will revolutionize the kart racing genre and how NX will change gaming just doesn't reflect modern Nintendo. Nintendo Directs capture the playfulness of their games much better, it's not about making grand statements anymore. It's about cute Yoshi outfits and having fun chasing rabbits in 3D Mario. Standing up there on stages with a handful of 1st party games without any notable 3rd party franchises is kind of embarrassing as well.

The Metroid / Star Fox / F-Zero / Wave Race Nintendo is dead.

Now they are the New SMB / Animal Crossing / Waifu Emblem company and they want to attract kids/mobile gamers which is why you see blatant memes popping up in Zelda games and their tumblr pages.

sphinx

the piano man
Still 50/50, since there's been no news that could confirm or deny it from happening, unfortunately.

hhmm, I see...

I am trying to make up my mind as to whether I'll ever want and buy a WiiU.

so far the only reason is Pikmin 3 and kinda, sorta Donkey Kong: TP... if I can somehow play those on NX, I am all set.

For Nintendo's sake, I hope not.

if you wrory about the gamepad, maybe they can find a way to make current WiiU games not use it?

kevin1025

Banned
hhmm, I see...

I am trying to make up my mind as to whether I'll ever want and buy a WiiU.

so far the only reason is Pikmin 3 and kinda, sorta Donkey Kong: TP... if I can somehow play those on NX, I am all set.

I'm in the same boat as you on that one. I'm holding out until the reveal, just in case. Plus retailers might have crazy deals in the fall to move inventory.

Ryoku

Having Reggie saying how anti gravity will revolutionize the kart racing genre and how NX will change gaming just doesn't reflect modern Nintendo. Nintendo Directs capture the playfulness of their games much better, it's not about making grand statements anymore. It's about cute Yoshi outfits and having fun chasing rabbits in 3D Mario.

The Metroid / Star Fox / F-Zero / Wave Race Nintendo is dead.

Now they are the New SMB / Animal Crossing / Waifu Emblem company and they want to attract kids/mobile gamers which is why you see blatant memes popping up in Zelda games and their tumblr pages.

Lol what is this?

You guys need to chill.

So they're holding off on content for their current console to inflate the NX's launch library and try to give the impressing that they're capable of providing a reasonable amount of content for their consoles. What a shit show.

Ryoku

So they're holding off on content for their current console to inflate the NX's launch library and try to give the impressing that they're capable of providing a reasonable amount of content for their consoles. What a shit show.

You do realize that the company had just gone through a mega restructuring, right? I'm sure they can churn out more content now than ever before because they have merged their development cycles.

Of course, third parties would help. They would always help.

Ansatz

Lol what is this?

You guys need to chill.

I'm just trying to convey that Nintendo doesn't belong at E3 for the same reason you don't see Korean MMO's or mobile games being showcased there. Nintendo is no longer in competition with Sony and MS, there is an audience mismatch between the people Nintendo wants and those who tune in to watch E3 conferences.

I first started lurking GAF back when all the Project Cafe rumours were floating around, and hopes were high. I've been really hoping that Nintendo would finally cash in on those hopes from back then and knock this out of the park, so it's really sad as a Nintendo fan to see this.

If this console ISN'T a substantial enough jump over the PS4/XB1 now then I have no idea what they're doing. They could get away with a smaller jump this year, but with the high likelihood of the PS4/XB1 upgrades coming out this year/early next year, Nintendo cannot be the weakest console yet again.

At least we know not to get our hopes up for E3 this year a month in advance.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Third raised hand. Directs are just too cheesy and boring for me, so I just read up on what was announced afterward. But I usually watch the console maker E3 stage shows.

That's really kind of fascinating. If anything, I would think most people would find the big gaps of nothing where folks are shuffling on and off of the stage and the "pause for applause" a lot more boring than the fairly brisk pace the Nintendo Directs tend to move along at.

Who watches an E3 stageshow that wouldn't watch a Nintendo direct? They both target the same E3 audience, and most of the people who watch the stage shows in the room are industry people and plants. Remember the Xbox One reveal?
*adds another hand*

People complain about E3 stage shows being self-fellating, boring, cheesy and scripted by suits.

Which incidentally is the same thing Nintendo Directs are, but without the schadenfreude of a stage demo and without the fun live reactions of a crowd (among a few other things). So yeah, I skip them more than not.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Having Reggie saying how anti gravity will revolutionize the kart racing genre and how NX will change gaming just doesn't reflect modern Nintendo. Nintendo Directs capture the playfulness of their games much better, it's not about making grand statements anymore. It's about cute Yoshi outfits and having fun chasing rabbits in 3D Mario. Standing up there on stages with a handful of 1st party games without any notable 3rd party franchises is kind of embarrassing as well.

And if they continue on that path they'll continue to fail. They don't need to abandon those games/concepts, but they need to rebrand their image into a more serious one ala Sony/MS with their marketing, having stage shows etc. While also broadening their IPs with more unique stuff like Splatoon, and a few less sequels and spinoffs of popular IP.

If the NX ends up just being more of the same we've gotten from Wii/DS through Wii U/3DS I'll probably peace out. And I've owned and gamed on every Nintendo platform except Virtual Boy. They need to get back to the NES/SNES/N64 era Nintendo where they had Mario, Yoshi etc. but also had lots of other types of games. The problem is that they now have a tough time getting those from third parties, so they really need to expand and branch out their internal dev teams.

Get teams reviving F Zero, Wave Race, 1080. Get teams taking fresh approaches to existing genres like Splatoon did. I.e. make a Splatoon-esque hero shooter/MOBA to cash in on that craze. Bring back some of their sports games like Ken Griffey Baseball (with a current star of course), NBA Courtside etc.

I'm just trying to convey that Nintendo doesn't belong at E3 for the same reason you don't see Korean MMO's or mobile games being showcased there. Nintendo is no longer in competition with Sony and MS, there is an audience mismatch between the people Nintendo wants and those who tune in to watch E3 conferences.
What? Nintendo was never in competition with them during the later years of the Wii's life when they still DID E3 conferences. They still make the same games and are the same silly Nintendo as they were when they demoed fucking Wii Music and such on the stage. They belong at E3 just like everyone else that goes regardless of who watches. People will watch a company they like give a live press conference just as they always have.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That's really kind of fascinating. If anything, I would think most people would find the big gaps of nothing where folks are shuffling on and off of the stage and the "pause for applause" a lot more boring than the fairly brisk pace the Nintendo Directs tend to move along at.

It's largely that the tone of the Directs is off putting too me. They're just too kiddy and too Japanese for me. The competitors stage shows have plenty of cringe worthy moments as well, but nothing like the silliness of the Directs with puppets and other nonsense.

caleb1915

I'd like to take this time to point and laugh at ALL THE PEOPLE who said Nintendo will launch the NX this year :p I always knew 2017 would be when their new system would come out.

2017 made the most sense in every aspect of Nintendo as a company even after Iwata passing away. They're not known for quickly restructuring their goals either; this has probably been the plan for a while now.

caleb1915

It's largely that the tone of the Directs is off putting too me. They're just too kiddy and too Japanese for me. The competitors stage shows have plenty of cringe worthy moments as well, but nothing like the silliness of the Directs with puppets and other nonsense.

The puppets weren't just about being silly and nonsensical tho.

Nintendo is kiddy and japanese, that just describes their business model lol; seems like you just want Nintendo to be a different company altogether.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
2017 release date is fine but not showing the console at E3 I think is a horrible idea. When right now Nintendo is in a prime opportunity to steal the show with PS neo and Xbox 4k getting mixed responses from the community.

If they have no software to show they could easily get worse responses.

Snakeyes

*adds another hand*

People complain about E3 stage shows being self-fellating, boring, cheesy and scripted by suits.

Which incidentally is the same thing Nintendo Directs are, but without the schadenfreude of a stage demo and without the fun live reactions of a crowd (among a few other things). So yeah, I skip them more than not.

Same here. I watch E3 press conferences for the spectacle just as much as the information.

JTripper

One reason why I think people dislike Directs and would rather have a live conference is that Directs, in a way, make it seem as if Nintendo distancing themselves from the industry.

It's like, they get to control their own message, which is totally fine, but if feels like they're behind this glass wall where only they can speak to us be we can't speak to them. It feels like they purposefully want to detach themselves from the audience and that doesn't sit right with people.

TrueBlue

Not that I don't get caught up in the moments, but the fascination with the reaction of a live audience you're not a part of has always kind of confused me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
you don't really have to watch the Direct live to get the news from it. every single Direct has gotten reported on and most trend on social media for a while. for all the out of touch comments Nintendo has actually figured out the internet and adjusted to how information is disseminated in this day and age quite well, especially when compared to other video game publishers.

True, but more people hear the news when it's dropped at E3.

Ansatz

And if they continue on that path they'll continue to fail. They don't need to abandon those games/concepts, but they need to rebrand their image into a more serious one ala Sony/MS with their marketing, having stage shows etc. While also broadening their IPs with more unique stuff like Splatoon, and a few less sequels and spinoffs of popular IP.

If the NX ends up just being more of the same we've gotten from Wii/DS through Wii U/3DS I'll probably peace out. And I've owned and gamed on every Nintendo platform except Virtual Boy. They need to get back to the NES/SNES/N64 era Nintendo where they had Mario, Yoshi etc. but also had lots of other types of games. The problem is that they now have a tough time getting those from third parties, so they really need to expand and branch out their internal dev teams.

Get teams reviving F Zero, Wave Race, 1080. Get teams taking fresh approaches to existing genres like Splatoon did. I.e. make a Splatoon-esque hero shooter/MOBA to cash in on that craze. Bring back some of their sports games like Ken Griffey Baseball (with a current star of course), NBA Courtside etc.

Is that what you would like them to do for selfish reasons, or what you think is the best strategy going forward? Because the "I'll probably peace out if not" implies that you are biased in your analysis.

I try to keep personal wishes out of discussions, my posts are more about predicting what Nintendo actually will do, rather than say what I think they should do. That's why I can more easily predict their decisions and why I'm not baffled by them like the rest of the community.

Like, I want Metroid Prime too, as much as any other, but I'm not gonna sit here and say they're delusional because it is a niche franchise for an audience that's no longer present.

The puppets were awesome and creative and reflect the company. That was slick as shit non-cheap entertainment. You obviously thought it was shit but that saved the presentation for me. Too bad they didn't have the goods to go with it.

I enjoy Directs as a whole but I'm not a fan of them as a format during E3.

That being said, I understand why these Digital Events happen. Showing that type of content during a live conference would be disastrous. Imagine a stage show for the things they showed off last year. It would have been a trainwreck of epic proportions. Even E3 2014, which was considered a pretty good show for Nintendo, would have been extremely disappointing in front of a live audience.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The puppets weren't just about being silly and nonsensical tho.

Nintendo is kiddy and japanese, that just describes their business model lol; seems like you just want Nintendo to be a different company altogether.

And they're failing because of it.

They don't need to be a different company all together at all. They just need to work on their branding and marketing in the West.

Sony is a Japanese company too, and has plenty of Japanese games that have little or no appeal in the West. But they were wise enough to give their American and European wings more sway in marketing in those territories and they've thus done a much better job keeping up with Western trends.

Conversely, you have MS that did well (at least last gen) in the west, but has failed to have any success in Japan. Things could have been better if they'd had a Japanese wing that could focus on branding and marketing there.

Anyway, I think Nintendo needs to change little beyond letting their western wings handle branding and marketing in those regions, and spending some money to buy up some western devs or exclusives to help round out the library in those regions.

I first started lurking GAF back when all the Project Cafe rumours were floating around, and hopes were high. I've been really hoping that Nintendo would finally cash in on those hopes from back then and knock this out of the park, so it's really sad as a Nintendo fan to see this.

If this console ISN'T a substantial enough jump over the PS4/XB1 now then I have no idea what they're doing. They could get away with a smaller jump this year, but with the high likelihood of the PS4/XB1 upgrades coming out this year/early next year, Nintendo cannot be the weakest console yet again.

At least we know not to get our hopes up for E3 this year a month in advance.

They can get away with no jump at all in fact. I'm fairly positive by now that they're aiming this thing at the casual and possibly mobile market. When you look at it like that, E3 doesn't matter, Sony or Microsoft don't either, nor does any technological gap between the NX and PS4/Xbone.

If any Nintendo fan were to be so hopeful that they'd be back on the core wagon, let them skipping E3 be a clear sign of that NOT happening. You'll only be disappointed if you don't take it as such.

mckmas8808

Not when the viewership was up 9m from 2014. It's growing in relevance to the audience, as the numbers suggest. EA and Activision are big publishers, but bowing out doesn't mean it's losing relevance in the general sense. Otherwise people wouldn't be watching it to the degree that they are.

And why do people keep saying EA will not be at E3. THEY WILL! In another building down the street literally in L.A.

AmyS

Zen wouldn't be ready until late 2017.

For consoles, or in general?

(posted in the other thread)

Tom's Hardware speculating (just speculating) that NX might use the new AMD Zen APU.

Could Nintendo's Mysterious 'NX' Console Run On An AMD Zen APU?
Nintendo has released its latest financial statements, and within the document we found a single line regarding the upcoming console that reveals that we’ll be waiting another year for the new gaming system.

“For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally,” read Nintendo’s consolidated financial statements.

The timing of the release window leads us to believe that the next Nintendo console may employ a Zen-based APU built on GlobalFoundries' 14nm FinFET process. We learned in December that AMD's Zen architecture will likely see the light of day between Q3 2016 and Q1 2017, and in March, Robert Hallock, AMD's Head of Global Technical Marketing, revealed that Zen APUs will follow the release of FX processors. We don't know when the APUs are expected to launch, but the timing seems to fall into place well for Nintendo's next system.

Third-Party Content Struggles, Abated By x86 Switch?

These two products being released at around the same time isn't our only reason to suspect that Nintendo will make the move to an AMD Zen based APU, either. Over the last few years, Nintendo has been struggling to attract third-party game developers to its Wii U console. Several important game developers never released titles on the Wii U, and most of the major companies that did ended support for the Wii U following the release of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

This is mostly due to the less powerful hardware inside of the Wii U, but it's also because of its customized IBM ISA that forces developers to invest more time into porting games to the Wii U. Switching to an x86 Zen-based system would eliminate both of these issues, as Zen is designed for high-performance processing, and its x86 ISA would make games created on the PC, Xbox One or PS4 easily portable to the NX console.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nintendo-nx-console-amd-zen,31691.html

Using Zen CPU cores would be a huge deal. Not only are they meant to provide 40% more performance, clock for clock, than AMD's current FX line that use the old Bulldozer / Steamroller cores, but Zen would be a huge boost over the wimpy Jaguar cores in PS4, XBone and even PS4K / Neo.

The question is, could AMD have designed semi-custom low-power Zen cores for an APU that still needs a decent GPU, and offer it to Nintendo for NX? The fact that NX is not launching this fall, but ~4 months later in March, mainly to have enough games ready, is interesting. It seems to me that it also conveniently allows more time for chips to be manufactured, whatever they may be.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd like to take this time to point and laugh at ALL THE PEOPLE who said Nintendo will launch the NX this year :p I always knew 2017 would be when their new system would come out.

2017 made the most sense in every aspect of Nintendo as a company even after Iwata passing away. They're not known for quickly restructuring their goals either; this has probably been the plan for a while now.

I won't point and laugh at anyone because that's rude, but also because I thought they'd probably go for a Holiday 2017 release period. I suspected March as a possibility however, due to the 3DS being precedent.

mckmas8808

I'm sorry, was this supposed to be related to what we were discussing?

Yes! People are acting like being at E3 is irreverent and that doing Nintendo Directs are better.

Those people should know that advertising to less people isn't better at all. If you think so then Nintendo should stop making commercials for TV and other show them on the internet to save money.

You do realize that the company had just gone through a mega restructuring, right? I'm sure they can churn out more content now than ever before because they have merged their development cycles.

Of course, third parties would help. They would always help.

They always have some new scheme to turn things around, but they really mean it this time huh? I'll believe it when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom