• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Boston Red Sox used electronic devices to steal signs against Yankees

Keep in mind that the Celtics aren't exempt from this either. They tried to hide Isaiah Thomas' broken hip from the Cavaliers and had to pay for it with a hefty 2nd round pick, and on top of that, Paul Pierce once shit his pants during an NBA finals game and pretended he hurt his knee so that he could be carried off the court to change. Boston sports has always been full of deceptive degenerates.

Not to mention the Boston Bruins of the 70s, easily one of the cheapest and dirtiest teams to ever be assembled. (At least until the 2007 Ducks).

JABEE

Interesting. I for one have no comment on a Boston team being caught red-handed in the act of cheating.

entremet

Keep in mind that the Celtics aren't exempt from this either. They tried to hide Isaiah Thomas' broken hip from the Cavaliers and had to pay for it with a hefty 2nd round pick, and on top of that, Paul Pierce once shit his pants during an NBA finals game and pretended he hurt his knee so that he could be carried off the court to change. Boston sports has always been full of deceptive degenerates.
Ah yes. Forgot about Isaiah Thomas lol.

If god had an ounce of justice Irma would be slamming into the Boston Garden!

How does that even work? How does the opposing team react and relay catcher signs in one or two seconds before the pitch is thrown?

I feel like that would actually be distracting for a batter looking for a signal when a 90 mph ball could be zooming at him any second.

3N16MA

Banned
Shouldn't be surprised coming from a Boston team.

Remove them from the league and replace them with the Expos.

Couleurs

How does that even work? How does the opposing team react and relay catcher signs in one or two seconds before the pitch is thrown?

I feel like that would actually be distracting for a batter looking for a signal when a 90 mph pitch could be zooming at him any second.

There is a lot more than 1-2 seconds between a catcher throwing down a sign and the pitcher nodding, getting set, and finally winding up. Not a ton of time, but enough to relay signs.

And it might not be used in every situation, or could be the coaches getting signs and passing it on to runners; maybe like when there's a guy on first and the 1st or 3rd base coach finds out a changeup/curve is coming, then sends the runner.

Everyone does it, blah blah. Boston fans sounding a lot like Trump defenders these days. The real issue is defining yourself so much by your sports teams.

Bread

Banned
lmao

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Everyone does it, blah blah. Boston fans sounding a lot like Trump defenders these days. The real issue is defining yourself so much by your sports teams.

"I didn't know we couldn't do that!"

Might as well use Trump's excuse.

Well then I guess every other team is using an Apple Watch to steal signs when Porcello is pitching because that dude's getting shelled every start.

I feel like that would actually be distracting for a batter looking for a signal when a 90 mph ball could be zooming at him any second.
Yeah, Boston was just trying to make it more challenging for themselves, they should be rewarded!

Joe

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...or-use-in-the-dugout-cell-phones-still-banned
screenshot_211.png

screenshot_210.png

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-mlb-ipads-dugout-20160330-story.html

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/20...dugout_now_how_mets_ar.html#incart_river_home

----

Blatant violation of strictly-enforced of MLB guidelines by the Red Sox.

Shouldn't be surprised coming from a Boston team.

Remove them from the league and replace them with the Expos.

I wholeheartedly support this.

There is a lot more than 1-2 seconds between a catcher throwing down a sign and the pitcher nodding, getting set, and finally winding up. Not a ton of time, but enough to relay signs.

And it might not be used in every situation, or could be the coaches getting signs and passing it on to runners; maybe like when there's a guy on first and the 1st or 3rd base coach finds out a changeup/curve is coming, then sends the runner.

yet another reason to teach young pitchers to pitch fast.

TyrantII

The real issue is people that think professional sports matters.

Grown ass men playing schoolboy games with rich people money.

Joe

The Red Sox also broke the rules on signing international amateur players last year by scheming with an agent to circumvent limits on the amount of money they could use to sign players.

They gave the maximum signing bonus allowed to multiple players who would then distribute that money to just a few key players after the contracts were signed.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/latest-on-red-sox-international-signing-ban.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...l_signings_punishment_sets_precedent_case_was

Between the Red Sox and the Patriots (and the Celtics too I'm sure) we need to just stop allowing professional sports teams in New England. They're all a bunch of cheaters. It's something in the water perhaps.

LMAO the cheating and racism seems to go across sports, it looks like. Awful city with some of the worst sports "fans" I've ever come across. Hope MLB screws them over into oblivion.

TyrantII

Anything to get ahead. It's almost like watching tape. However closer to real time it is.

Couple of years and we'll have neutral nets running out trillion calc simulations and feeding it back in AR.

Eventually it'll all just be sim data after the singularity.

Top Bottom