• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Boston Red Sox used electronic devices to steal signs against Yankees

I think if i follow correctly, they are using apple watch haptic feedback through taps to tell the batter what the pitch is coming up based on cracking the catchers signals.

I don't think this is cheating its just using technology to logical conclusion.

Also Fuck the Yankees Fuck the Pats. M 👏 E 👏 T 👏 S

A-V-B

1BAHodq.gif

Big boy probably still saying "fuck you, fuck you" to this day

Is that the Scout

bryehn

That feeling when the Yankees are no longer the bad guys

As a lifelong Jays fan...

huehuehuehue.

I love Red Sox fans and they travel well. They're usually smahrt and niice at the park and the in-house guy always makes a "we all hate the yankees" joke.

ReAxion

I seriously doubt they are using Apple watches. I don't see many players wearing one and it would be super obvious. Also they need a phone on them.

And there isn't a rule against reading plays anyway.

They admitted it. They were relaying signs from people watching the live feed into the dugout.

Klotera

I don't get the "everyone steals signs anyway" thing.

Stealing signs the old-fashioned way, runners picking up what they can when they're on base, is fair game.

It's a whole different story when you have non-players with the advantage of video relaying signs.

If I'm not mistaken, the former is not explicitly barred, but using technology to assist is barred.

There is nothing wrong with sign stealing. Literally make more difficult signs or have the other team figure them out on you. Anyone here that played baseball from little league to college can and will tell all of you that is what we do. You sit there on the bench and try to figure out the other team's signs. This is a really fat fucking nothingburger!! This is coming from a Cubs fan, fuck both of these AL teams.

Friggz

There is nothing wrong with sign stealing. Literally make more difficult signs or have the other team figure them out on you. Anyone here that played baseball from little league to college can and will tell all of you that is what we do. You sit there on the bench and try to figure out the other team's signs. This is a really fat fucking nothingburger!! This is coming from a Cubs fan, fuck both of these AL teams.

"coming from a cubs fan"

so what you're saying is that you know nothing about baseball.

Anyway, one of the posters above was correct in that stealing signs between the lines is ok, runners on second, not changing up your signs, etc. Using technology to do so is blatant cheating.

It also makes sense why sanchez visited the mound so many times during the last trip to boston.

cwmartin

I've been a lifelong red sox fan. This is very bad and fucked up.

Sign stealing has been a part of baseball forever, but this is beyond catching a sign, or stealing it from second base and getting lucky.

If I was commish? Post season ban this season, and financial penalty next season, at minimum.

KHarvey16

I've been a lifelong red sox fan. This is very bad and fucked up.

Sign stealing has been a part of baseball forever, but this is beyond catching a sign, or stealing it from second base and getting lucky.

If I was commish? Post season ban this season, and financial penalty next season, at minimum.

Post season ban would be way over the top.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Next week we're going to hear about MIT plagiarizing other authors papers. Something is rotten in the state of Boston.

HeySeuss

It's a big deal because it's getting relayed to the batter real time-ish. But it's still on the batter to be able to hit the pitch, even if he does know what's coming.

The head to head matchup doesn't seem to be favouring Boston regardless of the cheating. They'll be fined and call it day. Maybe the coach that was relaying the signs gets suspended for some games but that'll be about it I'd think.

TS-08

It's a big deal because it's getting relayed to the batter real time-ish. But it's still on the batter to be able to hit the pitch, even if he does know what's coming.

The head to head matchup doesn't seem to be favouring Boston regardless of the cheating. They'll be fined and call it day. Maybe the coach that was relaying the signs gets suspended for some games but that'll be about it I'd think.

I think you'll see suspensions, a fine, and maybe a lost draft pick or two.

Drek

I think you'll see suspensions, a fine, and maybe a lost draft pick or two.

Really doubt it. Based on something maybe giving an edge that is only a slightly modified form of what every other team already does?

There's a reason why the Red Sox could instantaneously turn around a similar claim against the Yankees. Meanwhile the Yankees had to break the very rule the Red Sox supposedly broke (no connected electronics) to provide what their attempt at evidence.

And that evidence somehow requires signals from the dugout to be relayed to the batter literally in the interval between the sign being given and the pitch being thrown.

It's dubious and the previously dismissed claim quoted in this thread shows pretty well where this, and in fact all recent Boston sports cheating allegations come from, teams why can't beat 'em throwing a fit and pointing out league-standard practices that skirt and sometimes cross the rule book definitions as a way to besmirch them.

Same thing with "deflategate" where the "evidence" is circumstantial and scientifically dubious at best. Or Spygate where they did it openly at a time when other teams were, shockingly, also doing it openly.

It's always the division rival currently looking up from second place starting the shit too. Where was the outrage when the Yankees had a high resolution camera set up in dead-center with a direct feed to Yankees personnel during the game (basically a fixture at the old stadium)? I'm sure that was never used for anything nefarious. Or the Orioles using a light flash system from CF to steal signs in a way that a hitter could actually get the information with (done quite recently)?

And equating legitimate defense of David Ortiz to A-Rod is absurd. It's entirely possible Ortiz used steroids at some point in his career, but the evidence is fleeting and circumstantial. Alex Rodriguez made it pretty clear he was an active and avid user much of his playing career.

KHarvey16

Meanwhile the Yankees had to break the very rule the Red Sox supposedly broke (no connected electronics) to provide what their attempt at evidence.

Could you cite the policy a camera not used to relay live information would break?

TS-08

Really doubt it. Based on something maybe giving an edge that is only a slightly modified form of what every other team already does?

There's a reason why the Red Sox could instantaneously turn around a similar claim against the Yankees. Meanwhile the Yankees had to break the very rule the Red Sox supposedly broke (no connected electronics) to provide what their attempt at evidence.

And that evidence somehow requires signals from the dugout to be relayed to the batter literally in the interval between the sign being given and the pitch being thrown.

It's dubious and the previously dismissed claim quoted in this thread shows pretty well where this, and in fact all recent Boston sports cheating allegations come from, teams why can't beat 'em throwing a fit and pointing out league-standard practices that skirt and sometimes cross the rule book definitions as a way to besmirch them.

Same thing with "deflategate" where the "evidence" is circumstantial and scientifically dubious at best. Or Spygate where they did it openly at a time when other teams were, shockingly, also doing it openly.

It's always the division rival currently looking up from second place starting the shit too. Where was the outrage when the Yankees had a high resolution camera set up in dead-center with a direct feed to Yankees personnel during the game (basically a fixture at the old stadium)? I'm sure that was never used for anything nefarious. Or the Orioles using a light flash system from CF to steal signs in a way that a hitter could actually get the information with (done quite recently)?

And equating legitimate defense of David Ortiz to A-Rod is absurd. It's entirely possible Ortiz used steroids at some point in his career, but the evidence is fleeting and circumstantial. Alex Rodriguez made it pretty clear he was an active and avid user much of his playing career.

Uh huh.

Drek

Could you cite the policy a camera not used to relay live information would break?

The hop skip and jump rule, where the live feed could be used for something via a secondary transmittal process.

You know, just like this apple watch supposedly is.

Reporters are already saying it's likely to be "slap on the wrist" with Manfred's view described as largely writing it off a division rivalry thing.

The only reason this got any traction is because the Yankees promptly went to the New York Times, as they're such a shitbird organization they'd rather air out all of MLB's internal shit publicly for even a short term excuse as to why they're still in second place.

KHarvey16

The hop skip and jump rule, where the live feed could be used for something via a secondary transmittal process.

You know, just like this apple watch supposedly is.

Huh? The camera is isolated. The Apple Watch was used to transmit information.

Can you cite the policy?

MaulerX

I don't get the "everyone steals signs anyway" thing.

Stealing signs the old-fashioned way, runners picking up what they can when they're on base, is fair game.

It's a whole different story when you have non-players with the advantage of video relaying signs.

If I'm not mistaken, the former is not explicitly barred, but using technology to assist is barred.

Exactly. There's no rule barring the stealing of signs. It's how you steal them that's a different story.

Top Bottom