• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller told former Trump campaign chairman Manafort to expect an indictment

chadskin

Paul J. Manafort was in bed early one morning in July when federal agents bearing a search warrant picked the lock on his front door and raided his Virginia home. They took binders stuffed with documents and copied his computer files, looking for evidence that Mr. Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, set up secret offshore bank accounts. They even photographed the expensive suits in his closet.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, then followed the house search with a warning: His prosecutors told Mr. Manafort they planned to indict him, said two people close to the investigation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/mueller-russia-investigation.html

johnsmith

remember me
CXGrvw9WcAAXc6G.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
According to the article, they imply that it's based on tax law violations and money laundering. I mean, Manafort going down for that wouldn't be all that shocking (considering his financial ties to Russia)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I do find it kind of strange that they would tell the person they are investigating to "expect an indictment". That can't be standard protocol. Can it?

“They seem to be pursuing this more aggressively, taking a much harder line, than you’d expect to see in a typical white collar case,” said Jimmy Gurulé, a Notre Dame law professor and former federal prosecutor. “This is more consistent with how you’d go after an organized crime syndicate.”

1365755210792.gif

”They seem to be pursuing this more aggressively, taking a much harder line, than you'd expect to see in a typical white collar case," said Jimmy Gurulé, a Notre Dame law professor and former federal prosecutor. ”This is more consistent with how you'd go after an organized crime syndicate."

Omg, I am straight up getting verklempt.

“They seem to be pursuing this more aggressively, taking a much harder line, than you’d expect to see in a typical white collar case,” said Jimmy Gurulé, a Notre Dame law professor and former federal prosecutor. “This is more consistent with how you’d go after an organized crime syndicate.”

My favorite quote from that article as well.

reKon

Banned
"Paul J. Manafort was in bed early one morning in July when federal agents bearing a search warrant picked the lock on his front door and raided his Virginia home. They took binders stuffed with documents and copied his computer files, looking for evidence that Mr. Manafort, President Trump's former campaign chairman, set up secret offshore bank accounts. They even photographed the expensive suits in his closet."

This is going to be a quick montage sequence for the potential film that we get out of this.

No music, only enhanced sound effects:

*Door knob slowly turns after lock is picked*

*quick cut of agents agents swiftly rushing in one by one*

*quick cut of papers/documents being gathered, stacked, and carried out*

*quick cut of suits being photographed with dramatic flashes*

Top Bottom