• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama administration to rename Mt. McKinley as "Denali"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Because Obama did it, Republicans hate it. If a Republican did it, they would be praising their cultural inclusion from the high heavens.

Get bent, GOP.

Africanus

Seriously, how many of these foolish people even knew about William McKinley before this "debacle", rather than quickly searching him up on Wikipedia?

I am an avid reader of history and even I had the vaguest recollection of his presidency in larger context.

aliengmr

You can definitely question Obama's motives, though. It's not as if there wasn't anything more important/urgent on the agenda to take care of (gun control, healthcare, economy, national security, etc.)

And as an added bonus, he removes the name of a Republican president atop the highest mountain in North America and third tallest in the world by prominence.

What's the motive or reasoning for not changing it? Should the existence more important issues mean smaller, less important issues get ignored?

By what right does Ohio get to name a mountain in another state? The only reason there is a controversy is because "Obama" and not understanding the controversy.

No. Obama at that time was incredibly toxic and still is (very polarising). Reason why Dems lost is because their people did not show up to vote whilst the GOP's did.

No, the issue was the Dems backing away from their own platform in order to win conservative districts they had very little chance of winning in the first place. They assumed Obama was too toxic and thought by pandering to conservatives would help them. They were wrong and that is why they lost. Not because a progressive platform couldn't win, but because they didn't even try. Of course progressives weren't going to turn out.

Seriously, how many of these foolish people even knew about William McKinley before this "debacle", rather than quickly searching him up on Wikipedia?

I am an avid reader of history and even I had the vaguest recollection of his presidency in larger context.

McKinley was one of the worst Presidents because he basically started the modern Imperialist presidency. I thought history classes covered that pretty extensively, no?

So, yet another good reason to restore the name Denali. Also, FWIW, younger people may know him bc the high school in Glee was named after him.

Africanus

McKinley was one of the worst Presidents because he basically started the modern Imperialist presidency. I thought history classes covered that pretty extensively, no?

So, yet another good reason to restore the name Denali. Also, FWIW, younger people may know him bc the high school in Glee was named after him.

See I know of the beginnings of American imperialism because of him, but usually I know more regarding presidents' lives and beliefs. McKinley

And no haha, classes cover imperialism yes but not tying it to McKinley perhaps as hard as it should be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can he go OMG LAST TERM GOD MODE MY PRESIDENT! on something that matters?

That sure would be cool.

Like what? And make sure you dont say anything is would require congress to play ball because thats a fucking fantasy.

See I know of the beginnings of American imperialism because of him, but usually I know more regarding presidents' lives and beliefs. McKinley

And no haha, classes cover imperialism yes but not tying it to McKinley perhaps as hard as it should be.

Right, can't say I know anything about McKinley the man. Besides as part of the answer to "name the assassinated Presidents".

Mael

Shouldn't the GOP be happy?
I mean it's the last president that served during the Civil war and could be a symbol for the Union side.
Or are they that into his gold standard policy?

Shouldn't the GOP be happy?
I mean it's the last president that served during the Civil war and could be a symbol for the Union side.
Or are they that into his gold standard policy?

They mine the shit out of the fact that Lincoln was a Republican as it is to paint themselves as being the real heroes of civil rights. They conveniently ignore the whole hundred-fifty years of change thing.

Mael

They mine the shit out of the fact that Lincoln was a Republican as it is to paint themselves as being the real heroes of civil rights. They conveniently ignore the whole hundred-fifty years of change thing.

It's so funny seeing them unearth the corpse of Lincoln for their little game while shitting on everything he held dear WHILE also cheerleading his treasonous adversaries.
Seriously the GOP is the most hilarious case of cognitive dissonance.

@JohnKasich
As POTUS once again oversteps his bounds, Ohio knows every carnation is a monument to our own William McKinley. -John

Virtually nobody in Ohio knows this. Kasich, stop trying to manufacture controversy.

If a Republican president did this we'd hear lots of praise for how they respect the rights of those who live in the state of Alaska.

Maengun1

lmao does anyone actually look back at McKinley with any reverence?
Not trying to be a dick to someone who died over 100 years ago, but getting assassinated was probably the best thing McKinley did. Teddy Roosevelt never would have become President otherwise.

Kenstar

How long until some idiot thinks Denali is his "hometown" in Kenya?

3EsJNwL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom