• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama administration to rename Mt. McKinley as "Denali"

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki 16

I remember hearing about this on the daily show. I'm glad they changed the name to something more fitting of Alaska.

NightOnyx

This is great news. I can't believe that some people in Ohio were actually blocking this from happening. That's not their land, name something in your own state after McKinley. I swear, politician are the worst, this shouldn't have even been an issue to begin with.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've been there, and the native history is a huge deal there. This definitely seems like the right thing to do and feels good.

Keasar

Next up, Obama announces the demolition of Mount Rushmore and giving the land back to the Native American tribes.

I like this guy a lot.

It was named by a gold seller as a campaign ad before McKinerator was even president. It's an ugly reminder of white colonialist mentality. The Mt McKinley name was inappropriate then, and is inappropriate now. Inside the USA is pretty much just Ohio that cares. And they shouldn't be telling Alaska what to name their mountains.

Come the fuck on.

Nobody in Ohio, save for dumb Republican politicians, gives a shit about this.

There's no massive state pride in William McKinley. Why the hell would there be?

Africanus

Come the fuck on.

Nobody in Ohio, save for dumb Republican politicians, gives a shit about this.

There's no massive state pride in William McKinley. Why the hell would there be?

He, em, freed the sla- I mean poor, savage, Puerto Rican, Filipino, and Cuban savages who were unfit as savages to rule themselves with their savage manner of living.

Also Wikipedia already changed the name interestingly.

as someone who observes America from the outside this seems like a great move IMO, and shows strength rather than weakness. a lot of nations on this planet don't have the courage to recognize past mistakes etc, or how they treated indigenous people.. most countries just want to sweep all that under the rug. even though it's not THAT big of a thing, the symbolism should still be appreciated, and i say good job USA and Obama.

also Denali is a cool name, there used to be an indie rock band named Denali in the early 2000s, they were pretty good.

onken

Good. Everest had some similar controversy when the cartographer it was named after was adamant it should be called its local name but lickspittles pushed it through regardless.

Then you have fucked up situations like K2 where it didn't even have a name because no-one was crazy enough to go near it, let alone climb it.

Montresor

All we need for Obama's presidency to be perfect:

1) Ban SuperPacs and significantly restrict lobbying power

2) Make sure Edward Snowden's work/sacrifice doesn't go to waste. I'd love it for there to be a serious discussion that restricts NSA's power to spy on its own citizens

3) Nationwide ban on the death penalty

4) More restrictive gun control

5) Huge investment in mental health (together with #4 I think this should help with gun violence / mass shootings)

Slayven

I bet Obama on his last day will hold a surprise press conference and apologize for slavery.

He would drop the mic and then drive off wiht Michelle in a drop top.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Honestly, until Today, I assumed Mt. McKinley was named after the first European to see and/or climb it. I figured it was a different McKinley than our President.

Same here. It sounds terrible, but now that I know better, McKinley was a pretty crappy name.

psylah

2016-gmc-yukon-denali-mov-prograde-mm1-scroller-732x282-01.jpg

Should have rolled up in this.

How much is GM paying Obama under the table for this not-so-subtle marketing push?

Disgusting.

as someone who observes America from the outside this seems like a great move IMO, and shows strength rather than weakness. a lot of nations on this planet don't have the courage to recognize past mistakes etc, or how they treated indigenous people.. most countries just want to sweep all that under the rug. even though it's not THAT big of a thing, the symbolism should still be appreciated, and i say good job USA and Obama.

also Denali is a cool name, there used to be an indie rock band named Denali in the early 2000s, they were pretty good.

Also, if memory serves, Denali is the name of Gumby's pet elephant.

You're welcome.

Kinyou

Funny how some guys from Ohio could block Alaska politicians about naming their own mountain. Good call on Obama.

How did a gold prospector get the name legally changed in the first place? Like, what was his position of influence to do that? The wiki is weirdly vague and doesn't even name the guy that did it. Who was he?

Fox318

If its something the people of Alaska want then they should have that right to change it.

I don't really see the big deal here.

massoluk

Banned
I would support renaming Stone Mountain in Georgia after Obama.

In fact, I think I'll start a campaign for that.

No, no, no. That will never happen. Just have Obama claims the area around Stone Mountain as Obama National Monument. That's actually feasible.

cntr

Banned
How did a gold prospector get the name legally changed in the first place? Like, what was his position of influence to do that? The wiki is weirdly vague and doesn't even name the guy that did it. Who was he?
He didn't legally name it, his name was informally adopted and then put into law several years later.

cntr

Banned
I know how we can satisfy everybody:

Get President McKinley's name changed to Denali in all official records.

Are we sure Obama didn't keep some of those General Motors shares for himself and that this isn't some kind of stealth marketing for the GMC Yukon Denali?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Thanks King Obama!
I wish He would rule us all for a thousand years.

I kind of do too, best President in recent memory.

Love this Facebook comment:

Because renaming a mountain is so much more important than the stock market, ISIS, cops being murdered and Iran. Yet another bad job by a bad president.

Sure, Jeremy Cook of Pleasant Hill, Iowa. Fixing all those is as easy as renaming a mountain. People are fucking idiots.

ezrarh

I kind of do too, best President in recent memory.

Love this Facebook comment:

Sure, Jeremy Cook of Pleasant Hill, Iowa. Fixing all those is as easy as renaming a mountain. People are fucking idiots.

Why is Obama going to the bathroom everyday when he needs to stop ISIS?

This is great news. The name is Denali and we should call it that to respect the indigenous people of the area. It's especially insulting to rename it for a fucking presidential campaign, of all things. The modern day equivalent of "Mt. McKinley" would be something like re-naming Mt Mohepinoke as "Mt. Chris Christie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom