• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama administration to rename Mt. McKinley as "Denali"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) is peeved, of course.

Rob Portman ‏@senrobportman 34m34 minutes ago
I'm disappointed with the Administration's decision to change the name of Mt. McKinley in Alaska (1/5)

Rob Portman ‏@senrobportman 33m33 minutes ago
Pres McKinley was a proud Ohioan, and the mountain was named after him, as a way to remember his rich legacy after his assassination (2/5)

The naming of the mountain has been a topic of discussion in Congress for many years (3/5)

This decision by the Administration is yet another example of the President going around Congress (4/5)

Rob Portman ‏@senrobportman 32m
I urge Admin 2 work w/ me 2 find alternative ways 2 preserve McKinley's legacy somewhere else in the natl park that once bore his name (5/5)

If Ohio loves McKinley so much, name something in your own damn state after him.

Sober

I'm disappointed with the Administration's decision to change the name of Mt. McKinley in Alaska (1/5)

Pres McKinley was a proud Ohioan, and the mountain was named after him, as a way to remember his rich legacy after his assassination (2/5)

The naming of the mountain has been a topic of discussion in Congress for many years (3/5)

This decision by the Administration is yet another example of the President going around Congress (4/5)

I urge Admin 2 work w/ me 2 find alternative ways 2 preserve McKinley's legacy somewhere else in the natl park that once bore his name (5/5)

If Ohio loves McKinley so much, name something in your own damn state after him.

Well, we'll make our own mountain! With Blackjack and hookers!

Yeaaaah, no. The mountain was named after him while he was still a presidential candidate by a gold miner who supported him because of his support for the gold standard.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If they want to do something, just rename the town he was born in. Niles, OH is not even it's original name. The OG name was much better, Heaton's Furnace.

Yeaaaah, no. The mountain was named after him while he was still a presidential candidate by a gold miner who supported him because of his support for the gold standard.
Hey, it helps not knowing history when you want to say bullshit.

shoplifter

As an Ohioan, fuck Rob Portman. Christ, Jim Jordan is like four years or so older than me and from the same county. I hate him too, and I couldn't stand him when he was in high school either.

But the mountain was named McKinley before he was assassinated...so how was it named to preserve his legacy after his assassination?
Did the guy who named the mountain then go on to kill the president? That's amazing,

low-G

If they want to do something, just rename the town he was born in. Niles, OH is not even it's original name. The OG name was much better, Heaton's Furnace.

Hey, it helps not knowing history when you want to say bullshit.

Exactly, after all McKinley said with his dying breath that the mountain should be renamed to Denali, so Obama is only honoring his dying wish.

We have to ask ourselves, where will his fascist in chief stop boys and girls?

What if he takes something named after other important presidents, and renames it something just to make the aboriginals happy?

Like Benjamin Harrison!
220px-Pach_Brothers_-_Benjamin_Harrison.jpg

We must have named something after him somewhere. Probably.

People in one state getting upset over the name of a mountain in another state is just silly and dumb. Ohio can name something of theirs after him.

FyreWulff

Do you know how many cities, rivers, lakes, mountains, and fields this would apply to?

Don't see the problem at all. We really shouldn't name native lands after dudes that had no involvement with them, and I'm also generally against naming anything after presidents, period. A little bit too Dear Leader for me, and there's already plenty of other Dear Leader shit we've done with George Washington

Also, officially it was pretty much just Ohio lawmakers making it "officially" Mt McKinley. The locals all call it Denali. It's even commercially called Denali by things that reference it. The State of Alaska wants to call it Denali. They were being forced to officially mark it as Mt McKinley solely due to some rednecks in Ohio.

Why not keep both names?

A lot of NZ's landmarks have Maori/English names, like Aoraki/Mount Cook. You can call it which ever you like, both are official.

Darkgran

But the mountain was named McKinley before he was assassinated...so how was it named to preserve his legacy after his assassination?
Did the guy who named the mountain then go on to kill the president? That's amazing,

Just shows you the amount of BS these guys spew...

FyreWulff

Why not keep both names?

A lot of NZ's landmarks have Maori/English names, like Aoraki/Mount Cook. You can call it which ever you like, both are official.

It was named by a gold seller as a campaign ad before McKinerator was even president. It's an ugly reminder of white colonialist mentality. The Mt McKinley name was inappropriate then, and is inappropriate now. Inside the USA is pretty much just Ohio that cares. And they shouldn't be telling Alaska what to name their mountains.

GhaleonEB

I wasn't familiar with the history of its name before today. Sounds like the right thing to do. It the old name makes no sense, it's a mountain in Alaska. Let it be named what it was named and still called.

Those tweets were hilarious.

Dryk

Do you know how many cities, rivers, lakes, mountains, and fields this would apply to?
Why not keep both names?

I don't know about other cities in Australia but the Adelaide City Council has a policy of dual-naming parks as part of their reconciliation efforts. The main square in the centre of town is officially "Victoria Square/Tarndanyangga" to the point where there next stop voiceover on the trams refers to it as such.

The only example of <Aboriginal name>/<English name> I can think of off the top of my head is Uluru. I'd like to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom