• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Objective makers - off" | "Detective Vision - off"

Detective mode in RoTR is so awful and intrusive. Pressing that fucking thing every other minute is not fun. It's just annoying.

Good idea. I try to do this too.

Only when I'm lost for an uncomfortable amount of time do I turn it off to find the location.

I also try to turn off the any button or environment props unless it becomes nearly impossible to find things. Since some games can have objects blend in with the environment, like DOOM 2016, I can't help but have it on.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I like it but don't really have time to play my games like that if I want to get through them in a timely manner

Oublieux

I don't have time for that. If the game has it, I'm using it.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Maintaining a job, financial responsibilities, and a social life all at once; I tend to use these mechanics as "time savers." Granted, I'm sure there are people in the same position as I am that still disable these functions because it is indeed more immersive, but I think I've slowly started leaning towards the camp of using whatever "crutches" they give me for the sake of completing the game since my interests tend to go back and forth.

nynt9

If a game is designed with these features in mind it often lacks the visual and verbal signposting that lets you distinguish important things without these features and thus turning these features off just makes games a chore to play. For this to work, games must be designed so that they can be played without these features. Simply giving the ability to turn them off doesn't make bad design go away.

Following the Little Dotted Line | Game Maker's Toolkit

See also this thread: Who agrees that Morrowind was the best in game navigation ever?

Roufianos

Detective mode in RoTR is so awful and intrusive. Pressing that fucking thing every other minute is not fun. It's just annoying.

Yea definitely the worst implementation of it I've seen.

Mafia III's wasn't as bad but it was just unnecessary and stupid, Lara you can kind of justify it by her survival instincts, Clayton was just your average guy.

If it's an RPG or adventure game then I don't mind having them on. Then it's a signal to me that "if you go here, the plot moves on", so I like to explore and do everything I want to while I can, and when I get bored I move on.

Those are the only games I play that really use them.

Marche90

It's not for everyone, though. While the sense of discovery in some games might be worth it, other people play with limited time and require to make at least some form of progress to enjoy the hobby to a certain degree. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible (Super Metroid does this beatifully, being such a short game), but it's certainly hard in the current landscape.

Also, I'm in the second camp of preferring markers and walkthroughs. Then again, I mostly play jRPG's where my biggest interest is the story and character interactions, and everything else is secondary, as long as the battle system is enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I always turn off that detective vision/eagle vision/etc. bullshit in every game. Absolutely hate it and it's a trend in gaming that needs to die NOW!!!

The only time any of that stuff is acceptable to me is if you're playing a Splinter Cell or that type of game where you actually have the goggles that give you the ability. That makes sense and fits the premise of the game. Some stupid extra ability does not.

As for other options, I always keep the mini-map on. Need a mini-map. I don't have the time or the patience to keep pausing the game ala MGSV to keep checking the map so I know im going in the right direction and won't be stuck by a mountain or some crap to where I have to go all the way around which in turn, bores me and wastes more of my time.

Auto aim/assist is always off for me. Cover prompts and outlines like in The Division when going cover to cover is also always off for me. I do keep button prompts on for when climbing and stealth kills because I don't want to have to figure out if im in the right spot or if im close enough. If the button prompt comes up, I know that im good.

I always leave objectives and waypoints on though. All the tutorial stuff and pop up hints and crap like that, I turn off.

Basically, I leave the main stuff on and turn off all the garbage I don't like or don't want.

EDIT: One thing for sure is that I wish every game simply had an on/off option for everything so that way, everyone can play their own way and everyone has the ability and option in regards to using certain abilities or simply turning them off.

ROTTR wise, I only used survival instincts for one side mission involving that stupid bird. Couldn't locate him unless you used that crap. Or at least, I couldn't locate the damn bird without instincts. Otherwise, it was off the entire game.

EDIT 2: Thinking about all of this reminded me of the main negative in The Witcher III which was having to use Geralt's Witcher senses in pretty much every quest to solve it. Very annoying. I get it and it makes sense somewhat but to implement it into nearly every quest was my biggest negative.

Can't wait to see if after Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR develops Witcher 4 with Ciri as the lead/main character. Not only would all the time travel stuff be fucking awesome but she has no Witcher senses at all!!!

Yeah, I try but it usually doesn't work. I'll turn off objective markers and stuff to make the game more interesting but then I literally have no idea where to go, or I'm opening up the map screen 800 times. As others have mentioned, it depends how the game is designed. At the end of the day, even though it's optional, a game is designed around some type of bias; and it's usually in favor of objective markers and xray vision these days.

To me a far worse offender is the way seemingly everyone watches videos or uses guides from the first moment of trouble, or even before having ever played the game. What's the best character build? What's the best way to beat this boss? What's the easiest way to get the best weapon and armor? What's the easiest way to do xyz. These things hurt games far more than they help.

I wish there was more of a middle ground in Hitman between turning the objective markers off and even just having it on minimal; minimal gets rid of the map markers but leaves the objective onscreen, and there have been more than a few times where I felt the game would benefit from the opposite. It's not always clear where I'm supposed to go in the first place for that objective with such huge levels, and sometimes the objective itself seems like too much information. I'm not sure how to fix this other than something like "give only a map marker that leads to the area with the objective rather than right to the objective, and only for certain ones" which seems like it'd be tricky to implement.

I feel similarly about challenges; I don't want them to tell me exactly what to do but sometimes the picture and the name isn't enough.

I like the "detective mode" and find it necessary in a stealth game with horrible load times where shit can go sideways immediately; older Hitman games were more about reloading your save, but that's super tedious in the new one so I see detective mode as an acceptable compromise.

The Last of Us is the first game I've ever played that is significantly improved both tonally and gameplay-wise by just shutting off that easy-mode Batman bullshit.

And that's all it is. So many games provide the flimsiest context for turning my vision into Batman's fucking cowl and I hate that shit

RedSwirl

Once again: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Feli...e_Quest_Compass__its_dreadful_convenience.php

This is pretty much how most games were meant to be played before roughly the beginning of last gen. I remember "quest arrows" in older games being seen as extremely arcadey, now they're the norm.

The problem I have is with games that let you turn off each of the HUD elements but aren't actually built to be played without them. You can turn off all that crap in Far Cry 4 but the game is absolutely not designed for it. One reason for the increased dependence on the waypoint might be the size of modern games. Older games that didn't have them by default tended to be smaller (like Ocarina of Time). Games with zones of similar size today like Dishonored and Deus Ex give you the waypoint and minimap as an option but there's certainly enough in the game world to where you don't need them. Skyrim is actually pretty navigable if you mod out the waypoint marker and use the mod for more detailed quest objectives... because Bethesda already put road signs in the game. Another good example is the first Bioshock (maybe Bioshock 2 as well but I can't remember). I've never played it with all the quest markers and other assistance HUD devices turned on, and if you pay enough attention to the world everything is marked with signs and directions. The only thing you can't run off is the big "GOAL" sign on your map.

Immersion is one reason for people to turn that stuff off, but it's not the only reason. A lot of people just consider navigating the world itself or finding hidden things to be part of the challenge of playing the game. If you just follow an arrow or breadcrumb trail everywhere to fight things, it feels like there's less a reason for a game to be open-world in the first place.

And road signs and billboards aren't the only in-game clues developers use to make waypoints unnecessary. Well-planned character dialogue serves this purpose too, of which Dishonored 2 is a good example. Having detailed-enough objective descriptions is imperative. In Bioshock one thing I did to remind myself where I needed to go was re-play the audio recordings that gave me clues.

If games are going to let me individually turn off HUD elements though, I wish they'd let me independently turn the minimap and compass on/off. Too many games seem to have them fused together like Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, and Deus Ex. In Witcher 3 I think if I just had the regular map screen and a compass I could find my way around just fine without waypoints or the minimap. Honestly the minimap alone isn't that bad. As the article I liked above states, the minimap, radar, compass, and regular map screen by themselves just tell you about your surroundings, which is good. The problem with the waypoint is that it specifically tells you where to go.

KdylanR92

No thanks, because as soon as I get lost i'm going to turn it on again and wonder why I even bothered.

Immersion is not that important to me.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, I almost always turn both off. I'll leave them on for games I don't care much about and just want to try out, like the Tomb Raider reboot from a few years ago. But usually I don't play games I care so little about, so yeah, they're usually off.

It's the proper way to play the games, tbh. Hand holding bullshit like TLOU sonar or whatever kinda kills the experience of the game.

Metro games hardcore mode is amazing. Played it like this only first go, and I'm glad they allow you to do it from the start instead of plowing through the game in easy as fuck difficulty.

I played TLOU without the sonar vision, on hard. Had lots of fun with it.

Then again my idea of fun is Dark Souls and I hate easy games.

Wanderer5

I have turned off survival instinct often in Tomb Raider, especially the glowing effect. It felt pretty great having everything off in Blood Ties in particular.

I actually didn't turn off anything in Dishonored 2 for the most part through, cause I was so engrossed into exploring the levels either way.:p

mclem

I kept objective markers on in Dishonored (1), but for a reason that I think is still in the spirit of this thread:

People say you should turn off the objective marker in Dishonored, because knowing where to go discourages you from exploring the level.

I had a different attitude. I kept the objective marker on, to show me where not to go.

It is something that's a bit of a bugbear of mine; the old chestnut of a fork in the road, wanting to explore both, but being forced past a point-of-no-return if you choose the 'right' one. It definitely hampers my feeling of freedom, even to the extent that I like to play with some form of spoiler-free walkthrough, simply so - as with the Dishonored example - I know where to *not* go.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I noticed that the Automata demo disabled lock-on on the harder difficulty so I didn't bother mapping it in the custom controls.

that's all i got

Nah. The games are designed around it so when you turn it off it becomes a pixel hunt game with no decent information to lead you to your goal unlike very old games that were designed around not having it.

Anyway the point of things like witcher senses and detective vision is to give you the skills / abilities your character has. Im not a tracker, im not good and seeing signs of dusturbed foliage, i cant smell like a witcher. So without systems like these im not really playing how the character is designed.

More than anything I don't have time to fumble around looking for this stuff these days.

One thing i did turn off in witcher 3 is satnav. That shit is the worst. Not only does it mean you spend your time looking at a line on a mini map rather than the game world but it often leeds you down bad paths. Just a waypoint and a map is enough thanks.

Depends on if objective markers were desgined to be a crutch for the player... or developers. You will not force me to play Skyrim without objective markers, even if you offer to pay me money. THat game is designed around that floating arrow.

Agreed. Since it's not even a half-assed mechanic I'd rather have the interactable objects just glow brighter or something. Hate hitting that button constantly.

Nah. The games are designed around it so when you turn it off it becomes a pixel hunt game with no decent information to lead you to your goal unlike very old games that were designed around not having it.

That certainly is a risk. I think there's a good middle-ground where objects could be more obviously interactable when viewed from afar.

Wanderer5

Got pretty annoyed with Rise that two of the optional tomb upgrades causes the glowing effects to appear without needing survival instinct.>.< Thank god you can turn it off with the glowing effect option.

Cathcart

Yeah I play games with no hud or markers whenever possible.I started it with Assassin's Creed 2 and I've kept it going since. One of the things that I found really cool about that game in no hud mode was that I started finding the collectible items that were hidden around the map very easily because I was actually paying attention to all of the world detail.

I've seen people play games like Witcher 3 where they spend so much time staring at the minimap and missing out on a beautiful open world. Super sad.

It's a slower way to play games, to be sure. But I'd rather have fewer really immersive experiences than just checking off a list of games by the end of the year.

Murkas

Yeah I'm playing through Dishonoured 2 now and although I'm having fun, the quest markers are irritating me. Every few mins I get a message on my screen saying "BONECHARM NEARBY, EQUIP HEART" and I pull out the heart and 20 new icons litter my screen Ubisoft style, runes, bonecharms, corrupt bonecharms etc complete with distance measured.

My problem with this is I don't think you get runes and bone charms normally via finishing levels/quests (I'm on mission 4 I think, kill the inventor in his mansion. Kirin?) so I feel like I need to play by these rules or my character will be underpowered (playing on hard) if I turn these off or don't use the heart. I feel the levels are just "too" big for me to find these items via exploring.

I may give it a try with Corvo after I complete it first time and see how I fare.

And yeah x-ray vision too needs to go away.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Plan to play RotR with everything off when I get around to it. Dishonored 2 as well.

I'd do it but most games make it almost impossible to progress without them so

Far Cry primal hunter vision is god awful but the game is basically impossible to finish without it.

TLOU listen mode is basically the only one that worked off.

Mankind Divided also managed to turn off object highlights by default compared to HR and the game is much better.

Bergerac

The physical difficulty of playing a game is more important than the immersion of a role? Not to me.

Case in point: Batman.

Batman's using that shit. He'd be stupid not to, he knows that, and his objective is to take care of the threat - not see how difficult he can make it for himself. If Batman's using it, I'm using it.

Case in point: Deus Ex.

'I never asked for these advantages, so I'm not going to use them. I'm a walking tank, I'm beyond human, but screw seeing through walls it's too easy.'

Power fantasies are just that. If you want masochism from them, you're playing the wrong kind of game. Those games do exist.

I find the break in logic of playing out of character far more egregious than having advantages over enemies that I'm intended to use - in a power fantasy. In a video game.

Batman's the definition of a CHEAT. Jenson's the definition of GIFTED. It's the point of each respective game.

We only take notice of these characters in the first place because of their advantages.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've seen people play games like Witcher 3 where they spend so much time staring at the minimap and missing out on a beautiful open world. Super sad.

It's a slower way to play games, to be sure. But I'd rather have fewer really immersive experiences than just checking off a list of games by the end of the year.

Yep, and fairly so it does take conditioning and patience to rewire gamer's coddled brains to actually observe and perceive their surroundings given years of waypoint help.

Not even really certain what is to be gained from having an open-world experience given the arguments tallied so far in this thread for maintaining waypoint markers actually.

ArjanN

I'd do it but most games make it almost impossible to progress without them so

Far Cry primal hunter vision is god awful but the game is basically impossible to finish without it.

TLOU listen mode is basically the only one that worked off.

The Op has a couple of good examples, like Hitman and Dishonored but yeah, most games that have these things are also designed around them, so if you turn them off, there just isn't enough direction to find stuff.

Yeah I'm playing through Dishonoured 2 now and although I'm having fun, the quest markers are irritating me. Every few mins I get a message on my screen saying "BONECHARM NEARBY, EQUIP HEART" and I pull out the heart and 20 new icons litter my screen Ubisoft style, runes, bonecharms, corrupt bonecharms etc complete with distance measured.

My problem with this is I don't think you get runes and bone charms normally via finishing levels/quests (I'm on mission 4 I think, kill the inventor in his mansion. Kirin?) so I feel like I need to play by these rules or my character will be underpowered (playing on hard) if I turn these off or don't use the heart. I feel the levels are just "too" big for me to find these items via exploring.

I may give it a try with Corvo after I complete it first time and see how I fare.

Just wanna let you know that the ''bone charm/rune nearby'' stuff can be turned off (Its called Information Message)

As for the thread, yeah, I agree. I find it much more immersive with detective vision and objective markers turned off

nkarafo

Problem is that modern games are designed around these. Meaning, if you turn them off you are probably skipping a lot of content that is nearly impossible to discover on your own.

Design your games to be perfectly playable without those things first. Then give me the option to disable them.

The physical difficulty of playing a game is more important than the immersion of a role? Not to me.

Case in point: Batman.

Batman's using that shit. He'd be stupid not to, he knows that, and his objective is to take care of the threat - not see how difficult he can make it for himself. If Batman's using it, I'm using it.

Case in point: Deus Ex.

'I never asked for these advantages, so I'm not going to use them. I'm a walking tank, I'm beyond human, but screw seeing through walls it's too easy.'

Power fantasies are just that. If you want masochism from them, you're playing the wrong kind of game. Those games do exist.

I find the break in logic of playing out of character far more egregious than having advantages over enemies that I'm intended to use - in a power fantasy. In a video game.

Batman's the definition of a CHEAT. Jenson's the definition of GIFTED. It's the point of each respective game.

We only take notice of these characters in the first place because of their advantages.
What? Jensen is augmented yes but there's a difference between how they did it in HR and Mankind Divided.

In Human Revolution all object highlights are on all the time by default, in Mankind Divided you need to unlock a smart vision augment which has a limited power setting and then you need to upgrade it to highlight useful objects. There is a middle ground and Mankind Divided does it well, a lot of games don't. And this is also a game about an augmented super human, a lot of the games being talked about in the thread aren't. I'd like to be able to turn off a lot of useless bullshit in modern games but with the exception of a few games turning off objective markers and detective vision is going to either lead to not being able to even complete the game or having to bring up the map every 5 seconds.

Bergerac

What? Jensen is augmented yes but there's a difference between how they did it in HR and Mankind Divided.

In Human Revolution all object highlights are on all the time by default, in Mankind Divided you need to unlock a smart vision augment which has a limited power setting and then you need to upgrade it to highlight useful objects. There is a middle ground and Mankind Divided does it well, a lot of games don't. And this is also a game about an augmented super human, a lot of the games being talked about in the thread aren't. I'd like to be able to turn off a lot of useless bullshit in modern games but with the exception of a few games turning off objective markers and detective vision is going to either lead to not being able to even complete the game or having to bring up the map every 5 seconds.

Not really relevant to my point as I'm saying neither game's level of smart vision is a problem when you're supposed to be playing as ADAM JENSON.

Also thread title states 'Detective Mode' - meaning primarily Batman.

Now RE7 having item highlighting properties? I could see someone's point, because RE7 will NOT star some badass with vision abilities. Only grey area is the series' history of well, highlighted items. Meh.

TheMoon

For me that feels like I'm deliberately wasting what little leisure time I have trying to grapple with a game that was not designed in this way.
It's cool if you can though.

It was though, in many cases. That's why the option is there.

Not really relevant to my point as I'm saying neither game's level of smart vision is a problem when you're supposed to be playing as ADAM JENSON.

But I'm saying there's good and bad ways to do it. And the thread title states detective mode because it was the first big example of it, there have been plenty of needless copycats though and that's where my gripes are.

Arion

Now RE7 having item highlighting properties? I could see someone's point, because RE7 will NOT star some badass with vision abilities. Only grey area is the series' history of well, highlighted items. Meh.

I didn't specify Batman at all. The term "Detective Vision" is widely used for any games that give you super vision to highlight objects and see through walls not just Batman.

Bergerac

But I'm saying there's good and bad ways to do it. And the thread title states detective mode because it was the first big example of it, there have been plenty of needless copycats though and that's where my gripes are.

I know that you are but I'm addressing people who want it removed entirely because it's 'easy mode'.

My point is - for example - try not playing as Batman if you don't like advantages.

I didn't specify Batman at all. The term "Detective Vision" is widely used for any games that give you super vision to highlight objects and see through walls not just Batman.

You didn't need to. You specified 'vision abilities off' as an absolute.

I responded saying that if it suits the character, that doesn't make sense.

And come on, the term originates from Batman.

PeaceUK

Even though most people wrote it off and subsequently forgot about it, the newest Thief game actually became palatable if you turned off all the extra mechanics they put in.

Of course it still couldn't hold a candle to the others, but it became at least somewhat entertaining.

Except the games themselves are heavily designed around these elements.

Hitman is especially frustrating without them. You would never be able to unlock any of the cool special kills without the objective markers.

Grid search is a tedious waste of time, but some people seem to love it. Like the people who think it's fun to bomb every wall and burn every bush in Zelda 1 - a game I think is pretty much unplayable today. Give me markers, or smaller well-designed levels that don't need them (new Shantae is pretty good).

I tried to do this in Dishonored 2. Was going ok until I got to level 4(mansion level). It might be just that level, but I was wandering aimlessly for an hour trying to figure out where to go, I broke down and re-enabled the objective marker.

I also hated detective vision in Watch Dogs 2. That ugly blue filter removed the beautiful graphics.

Arion

Except the games themselves are heavily designed around these elements.

Hitman is especially frustrating without them. You would never be able to unlock any of the cool special kills without the objective markers.

Not true at all. I've only been doing the cool special kills all with opportunities mode turned off. The game has plenty of NPCs discussing the opportunities so if you eavesdrop you can figure out all of them.

Top Bottom