• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

Kabouter

Mrbob said:
I agree. PS3 is getting GRAW, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc. It seems to me MS is the one losing the big exclusives at the moment. At least from the games typically gravitated towards the 'xbox gamer'.

Yeah, I'd say MS needs to start buying themselves some actual exclusives.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope it does come to PS3. Everyone should get a chance to play this great great game.
I'm about 20+ hours in on 360 and it's awesome. Easily game of the year for me.

Personally, I hope more next gen titles go multiformat.

Kabouter

Elios83 said:
That was to be expected, nVidia GPU + good development tools = all western and PC developers on board.

Especially since porting from PS3 to PC is a lot easier than porting from PS2 to PC ever was. Or at least, that's what I read.

Mrbob said:
I agree. PS3 is getting GRAW, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc. It seems to me MS is the one losing the big exclusives at the moment. At least from the games typically gravitated towards the 'xbox gamer'.

When have Ubi Soft's Tom Clancy titles not been on the Sony platform? :)

steinmc

Mrbob said:

they have more exclusive western RPGs such as Mass Effect, Too Human etc.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Brimstone said:
The news that I hope to hear from Bethesda during E3 is Oblivion taking advantage of the PS3's more powerful hardware (CELL and standard harddrive) combined with Sony upgrading RSX with more memory and faster ram.

Ditch GDDR-3 for Rambus XDR and let gamers play Oblivion at a max resolution of 1080p. This would be a massive Sony Megaton that would shock and awe the gaming world.

If I were to ask anything it would be more main RAM in terms of hardware specs and in term of Oblivion features I'd like to have the distance at which grass is not drawn anymore and textures are swapped for the famous "blobs" to be pushed farther away.

Mrbob

I know the Tom Clancy games have always been on PS2, but the 'best' version has always been the Xbox version. Plus you had games like HL2, Doom 3, etc., which just weren't possible on PS2. Now things may change with PS3 where it is getting the 'best' western version, plus all the eastern support.

EOGamer said:
But as the sales for RE4 PS2 proved, just becuase another console gets a big exclusive away from a competitor, doesn't mean it will amount to much other than bragging rights.

While I agree with what you are saying here, the main reason PS3 is getting games later at the moment is because of the delayed release of the system. Once it is out PS3 is out both versions will hit the same day and date.

they have more exclusive western RPGs such as Mass Effect, Too Human etc.

Those two games are exclusive, but it doesn't mean they'll have more. Let us wait till E3.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Mrbob said:

Microsoft may be forced to spend more trying to secure exclusives or buy actual well-known developers than they had originally anticipated. There's no reason for independent developers/publishers to go exclusive any longer, so both Sony and Microsoft (MS especially) must work harder to secure those exclusives. Nintendo doesn't have to worry much because the creative developers will likely give the platform a crack.

Maybe the PS3 version will have the high-res textures for the backdrops because of more disk space?

Then again, the port might be lazy and we could end up with the same thing.

Either way...Oblivion on PS3? SOLD.

I'm not surprised.

There were reasons in the past for PC centric developers to favor the XBox.

It was a direct PC architecture vs. the PS2 which was completely different, and XBox was considerably more powerful.

As exotic as the CELL processor is, the Nvidia GPU in the PS3 is a huge part of the system and gives every PC dev a handle on the PS3 right off the bat.

The power advantage is pretty much negated also, the PS3 might be the more powerful one this time out actually.

If you want Western exclusives you're going to have to pay for them or have a really different kind of approach (ala Nintendo).

Wollan

Uncle said:
They will probably wait and see how that LOTR RTS (and the Ensemble one) does first.

Well yah but that was the thing I was basing my guess on. They're obviously also going to see how the crowds react to ME2's control system.

Mifune

Mehmber
I called it almost a year ago, you bastards...

Haven't we all learned by now? There's really no such thing as an exclusive unless it's being published by one of the big three.

I'm sure a year down the road the PS3 will get Oblivion: The Mega Oblivious Edition, but that's a year down the road. Who really cares?

So sayeth sage Mifune, June 10th, 2005.

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Those two games are exclusive, but it doesn't mean they'll have more. Let us wait till E3.

The fact that MS is publishing exclusive role-playing games doesn't mean the Xbox 360 will have more exclusive RPGs than just Mass Effect and Too Human? If you say so.

Speevy

Banned
-Damien- said:
if they wanna make money, they better come to Sony :lol

I knew this thread would get sillier as time passed. The game has already sold a million on each of its platforms. They want to make money, but it's not as though the first release was a bust. Of course, I'm assuming you knew that already.

LM4sure

Banned
Speevy said:
I knew this thread would get sillier as time passed. The game has already sold a million on each of its platforms. They want to make money, but it's not as though the first release was a bust. Of course, I'm assuming you knew that already.

But they can make MORE money by porting it to the PS3!! We'll see more ports in the coming years than we have ever seen before! MUAHAYAHAHA

snatches

LM4sure said:
But they can make MORE money by porting it to the PS3!! We'll see more ports in the coming years than we have ever seen before! MUAHAYAHAHA

Who stands to lose more if third party exclusives become a thing of the past?

Speevy

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
Maybe the PS3 version will have the high-res textures for the backdrops because of more disk space?

Then again, the port might be lazy and we could end up with the same thing.

Either way...Oblivion on PS3? SOLD.

Maybe that has nothing to do with DVD9.

goldenpp72

If 3rd party exclusives went away microsoft would win america for sure.

Sony would win japan as usual and europe is a toss up, those guys seem to buy different brands a lot (which is good)

MS has rare, bungie and numerous other studios, they would be fine :p

Mrbob

snatches said:

DCharlie takes the safe route by saying fanbois, but the truth is it is MS, because Sony's first party division crushes MS first party gaming division. I'm not only talking critical accliam, but the ability to move units in all three big regions. Too many people are overlooking Sony Worldwide Studios when talking about PS3.

I gotta hear your reasoning for this. You think Microsoft Game studios is bigger than SCEWW? :)

Odysseus

Banned
goldenpp72 said:

Sony would win japan as usual and europe is a toss up, those guys seem to buy different brands a lot (which is good)

MS has rare, bungie and numerous other studios, they would be fine :p

Hold up, junior, Sony has some good first party studios, as well.

Better this news be true....
Now, a lot of pages around the net have this notice.....

Ps3-psp connectivity could be a great idea.

DCharlie said:

No, try gamers. Talented studios that can dedicate 100% of their resources to a base platform and exploit the hardware down the metal as much as possible are always going to have a significant advantage over middleware solutions that have to cater to platform agnostic abstraction and lowest common denominators. There's exceptions of course, but exclusives (or even timed exclusives, which I have no beef with) are predominantly the most polished, fully leveraged games on any given platform. Increased concurrent multi-platform development may be good for the wallet (if you hope to stick to one console), but I think its universally bad for overall quality.

Odysseus

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
No, try gamers. Talented studios that can dedicate 100% of their resources to a base platform and exploit the hardware down the metal as much as possible are always going to have a significant advantage over middleware solutions that have to cater to platform agnostic abstraction and lowest common denominators. There's exceptions of course, but exclusives (or even timed exclusives, which I have no beef with) are predominantly the most polished, fully leveraged games on any given platform. Increased concurrent multi-platform development may be good for the wallet (if you hope to stick to one console), but I think its universally bad for overall quality.

ONE CONSOLE FUTURE

Eliminates that problem.

Elios83

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

Agreed.

Wollan

snatches said:

It's pretty obvious that Sony 1st party lineup >>> MS 1st party lineup sofar.
SCEWWS is pretty damn big.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
REALLY?

I just got home, and a 10 page thread - jeeze!

This is true though? Oblivion launching for the Ps3?

that is fantastic! just saved me like $600, thaaaaaaank you very much.

Speevy

Banned
Sony may have a better first party, but the Xbox was a very third party driven platform. It's not like MS works the same way Nintendo does, where a dozen big properties garner the sales.

Wollan said:

Gran Turismo
SOCOM: US Navy Seals
Killzone
Jak & Daxter
Rachet & Clank
Sly Cooper
God of War
Twisted Metal
Shadow of the Colossus
Syphon Filter

All Sony 1st party franchises.
All multi-million dollar franchises.
All performed above expectations worldwide in all territories.

Microsoft would be glad to have any one of these under their belt.

Yoboman said:
So onfoot, it'd take you longer to run from one end of Oblivion's world to the other than it would for you to run from one end of San Andreas's world to the other? I find that a little hard to believe..

I don't think so, not for Oblivion at least. I never played SA though.

Oblivion is large, but it is nowhere near the biggest gameworld in a console game (not even in its own series). Of course, MMOs pretty much stomp everything anyway.

One thing to keep in mind with Oblivion, though, is there are lots of mountains that make slow you down a lot because you have to go around them/bunny hop to get over them.

Majmun

Seems as if Western devs who support X360 like to go multiplatform. I don't think I'll ever see Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 or Devil May Cry 4 on another platform than the Ps3.

Sony has secured one of the best 3rd party franchises, and Sony itself has some very talented inhouse devs too.

Sony we'll be getting the best of both worlds in this next generation.

Striek said:
I already have it on PC, but w/e PS3 graphical goodness will trump that.

More interested in a potential PSP version. Fuck yeah, that would be awesome.

Meh.

If you can run it decently on your PC, there will be no reason to get it on PS3. PS3 isn't going to magically have hundreds of mods available.

Aryuken

Banned
Wollan said:

From the games shown so far for next gen...not really no. (2nd party included)

Cold-Steel said:
Gran Turismo
SOCOM: US Navy Seals - MEH
Killzone - LOLOLOLOLOL
Jak & Daxter - YES
Rachet & Clank - MEH
Sly Cooper - NO
God of War - YES
Twisted Metal - NO
Shadow of the Colossus - YES
Syphon Filter - NO

All Sony 1st party franchises.
All multi-million dollar franchises.
All performed above expectations worldwide in all territories.

Microsoft would be glad to have any one of these under their belt.

Wollan

Aryuken said:
From the games shown so far for next gen...not really no.

Well, that's abit unfair since they haven't released the console yet. And it's not like MS has actually managed to swept the table sofar(with a 6month+ old console). I guess Nintendo doesn't have any games either right? :lol

Striek

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Meh.

If you can run it decently on your PC, there will be no reason to get it on PS3. PS3 isn't going to magically have hundreds of mods available.
Oh yeah, PC will always be the superior version what with mods and KB/M. But doesn't mean the graphic whore in me doesn't want it all running at max at 720p (as opposed to middling 1024*768). If I had to choose one it would be PC for sure though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hopefully the PS3 version has KB/M support (since this is was a rumor for UT2K7) and there was also a rumor of Mod support for UT2K7 (maybe this will apply to Oblivion) :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Atleast it's not a 4 year old last gen port right?

To be honest, I'll probably buy it for the PS3 if it makes it on the platform.
angry.gif

Top Bottom