• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
True, I go with your frame of thought though that its not much of a superior version if you've got to wait that long to play it and there aren't many (if any) extras in it. Although I canu understand if some people wait it if they don't own the system it was originally released on.

well, people who have decided to go PS3 only are in for a treat X months down the line - of that there is no doubt (well, there is doubt i guess! this news might turn out to be false)

snatches

Speevy said:
Well boring or not, people always prefer truth to half-truths or rumors. Otherwise, things should be labeled as such. Remember when we were certain that Nintendo had a new handheld planned that was more powerful than the PSP? I realize that was from the "S word" site, but just because something sparks interest doesn't make it confirmed news.

We've already seen today that the entire gaming journalism community takes this website so seriously as to post its juiciest topics immediately.

yeah that was quite a rant I had there *breathes deep*. needless to say, this news is very legit, and could not come from a better source.

xaosslug

BlueTsunami said:
/me humps your leg

God I hope so. Hopefully Kings Field stays true to its Dungeon Crawler roots but with beautiful visuals.

Also, about Bethesda and their decision with the PS3. My understanding was, at first, that Bethesda opted not to be on the PS3 due to Harddrive support (and its uncertainty). Now that a HDD is pretty much being put on a pedastal for the PS3 (for its importance) I can see Bethesda relooking at the PS3.

With that said, who knows if it even went that far. Maybe Bethesda decided to say quiet about the PS3 and build up the Xbox360 version. Now that its out and about and the PS3 launch happening this year, now we're starting to hear rumblings about the game again.

that's what I'd always thought.

Wollan said:
Killzone actually sold 1.5million copies. That's comparable to Microsofts #2 franchise Fable.

True, but if you take into account the PS2's 100 million users versus Xbox 1's 20 million, Killzone's numbers aren't too hot. If you have 4x the userbase of the other guy's console, selling a million units "should" be easier to do.

Razoric

Banned
With that said, who knows if it even went that far. Maybe Bethesda decided to say quiet about the PS3 and build up the Xbox360 version. Now that its out and about and the PS3 launch happening this year, now we're starting to hear rumblings about the game again.

That would be my guess.

Gigglepoo

-ImaginaryIndustryInsider said:
True, but if you take into account the PS2's 100 million users versus Xbox 1's 20 million, Killzone's numbers aren't too hot. If you have 4x the userbase of the other guy's console, selling a million units "should" be easier to do.

Killzone had a lot more competition, though. The PS2 has a larger, more diverse lineup than the other two systems. There are so many variables to take into account it's much easier to just look at the total number of sales.

BTW - How did Killzone sell that many? Was it actually good? I only played the demo but was not a fan....

Kittonwy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Killzone had a lot more competition, though. The PS2 has a larger, more diverse lineup than the other two systems. There are so many variables to take into account it's much easier to just look at the total number of sales.

BTW - How did Killzone sell that many? Was it actually good? I only played the demo but was not a fan....

Visually it was attractive enough, and frankly there weren't all that many good FPS games on the system, it would have been bigger had it not been so damn linear, some of the larger high-low levels were entertaining. Its success was similar to Teh Getaway: Sony uber-effective marketing FTW.

This just in... Sony consumers too stupid to play Oblivion, Taken from a certain forum which will remain nameless :lol :lol :lol

isn't it funny how when GTA releases on the Xbox almost a year after it's PS2 release it supposedly doesn't matter and according to Sony fanboys it doesn't hurt the system....now we take a compelling, intelligent RPG (read: not turn based monotony), a game that will be ignore by the PS3's userbase becuase it's essentially too smart for the average Sony consumer....becuase this game is possibly coming to the PS3 almost a year later it's the end of the 360.....and it's 360 owners who are the fanboys.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PaulHitsChildren said:
This just in... Sony consumers too stupid to play Oblivion, Taken from a certain forum which will remain nameless :lol :lol :lol

Wow, what a compelling argument :lol

So I guess Nintendo fans are geniuses because of Brain Training. Take that Xbox fanboys of the forum that will remain nameless!

HokieJoe

Seems like pretty big news if true. I wonder if MS would consider tossing hats-full-o'money at Bethesda to keep the franchise exclusive to the 360 and PC? From the popularity of this game, it sounds like those hats better be mighty full. :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Kolgar said:
Superior system power is one thing. But combine that with superior brand power and superior developer support and you have yourself an invincible monster.

For PlayStation fans, it's just the cherry on top of an already delicious cake.

QFT

Gigglepoo

Not to rain on the parade but...

I'd rather have Mass Effect than Oblivion. They should work on porting that shit right away.

Speevy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Not to rain on the parade but...

I'd rather have Mass Effect than Oblivion. They should work on porting that shit right away.

Mass Effect is a trilogy that's being published by MS.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why in the hell hasn't anyone posted this news from 1Up yet???

Earlier today Internet chatter rose over the possibility of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion showing up on PlayStation 3 and PSP later this year. On the infamous NeoGAF:lol , a user claimed to have been sent a release list by Bethesda Softworks listing the Xbox 360 and PC RPG slated for a release on Sony's platforms for this November.
When contacted, Bethesda didn't categorically deny the information. "At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any other platforms than PC or Xbox 360. We'll certainly let folks know if that changes," says VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines.

Of course, the key word there is announced. There's plenty of wiggle room for the company to come out swinging with both games at, say, E3. What a coincidence that would be!

Let's ask Bethesda again just to make sure. Maybe they'll slip up. "I'm saying we have not announced any plans to do a PS3 or PSP version of Oblivion. I don't know who that person is or where they came up with that information," he said.

Okay, not yet. Patience, PlayStation fans.

UPDATE: Official PlayStation Magazine readers might recognize the Game Envy feature - the OPM editors have Oblivion as their most wanted game. So, if the news is true, great. If not, that game envy hasn't stopped editor Joe Rybicki from picking up a 360 and playing through Bethesda's RPG. - LMS

http://xbox360.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149936

Wollan

-ImaginaryIndustryInsider said:

Well yeah but I never said Killzone was Sony's #2 franchise unlike Fable for Xbox. Also, the larger userbase you have, the harder it will be selling 'hardcore' games across the masses.
Let's say the numbers where switched with Xbox having 80+million owners, I doubt Halo would sell much more than it has(instead of 7mill now it would have sold maybe 9-12mill. It wouldn't have sold 28+ mill).

Phoenix

Man I wish I could find the thread where I insisted this would happen and people were saying it was impossible, that Microsoft had exclusivity to this, etc.

aaaaa0

Boy will this place melt down if it turns out Oblivion runs better on the 360 than it does on the PS3. :lol

(Presuming a PS3 port is really happening of course.)

aaaaa0 said:
Boy will this place melt down if it turns out Oblivion runs better on the 360 than it does on the PS3. :lol

(Presuming a PS3 port is really happening of course.)

I think if that happens, the thread will hit 100 pages

Phoenix said:
Man I wish I could find the thread where I insisted this would happen and people were saying it was impossible, that Microsoft had exclusivity to this, etc.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91597&highlight=oblivion

This one?

We should still wait for Bethesda to confirm this (just to be sure), probably at E3, but Oblivion being ported to PS3 later this year was something to be expected.

Anyway, good news for any gamer worth a damn.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Microsoft Announces Xbox 360 Inventory Surge and Spring Games Lineup
Xbox Live on Xbox 360 speeds past 10 million downloads..........The Xbox 360 games portfolio expands this spring with new next-generation titles from leading developers and publishers that cater to every genre, age, skill level and budget. Gamers can choose from a range of truly next-generation games such as “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion” (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games), an Xbox 360 console exclusive with beautiful next-generation graphics and a huge world to explore; “Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter” (Ubisoft Entertainment SA), the latest version of the successful Tom Clancy series that once again pushes the boundaries of multiplayer boundaries on Xbox Live; and “Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend” (Eidos Interactive Ltd.), the next-generation debut of the very popular Lara Croft series.

That is from Peter Moore's mouth.

ntb825

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we saw a PS3/360/PC GoTY edition early next year.

But not in November. Let the year actually end :lol

Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft Announces Xbox 360 Inventory Surge and Spring Games Lineup
Xbox Live on Xbox 360 speeds past 10 million downloads..........The Xbox 360 games portfolio expands this spring with new next-generation titles from leading developers and publishers that cater to every genre, age, skill level and budget. Gamers can choose from a range of truly next-generation games such as “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion” (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games), an Xbox 360 console exclusive with beautiful next-generation graphics and a huge world to explore; “Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter” (Ubisoft Entertainment SA), the latest version of the successful Tom Clancy series that once again pushes the boundaries of multiplayer boundaries on Xbox Live; and “Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend” (Eidos Interactive Ltd.), the next-generation debut of the very popular Lara Croft series.

That is from Peter Moore's mouth.

yeah i remember something giving me the distinct impression that oblivion was console exclusive to 360. Maybe Moore just meant that it was a de facto console exclusive, i.e. that it wasn't available on any other console at that time

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pope Benedict XVI said:
yeah i remember something giving me the distinct impression that oblivion was console exclusive to 360. Maybe Moore just meant that it was a de facto console exclusive, i.e. that it wasn't available on any other console at that time

Time based, maybe so.

Drek

As of right now it is a console exclusive. When did using the term "exclusive" require some form of legal agreement? It is right now, and MS will sell that for everything they can before it hits another system, if it does (which I think it will, PS3 is just too good a fit).

oldboy1

Banned
Bethesda Softworks says it has no plans to do PSP and PS3 versions of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, despite what some-bloke-on-a-forum said. (Yep.)

"At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360," is the official line issued yesterday.

That's after a chap called "snatches" on the Gaming Age Forums claimed they were - and that the games were due out this November. Apparently the source was a "release list from Bethesda".

Since then, he's responded to news of Bethesda's cold water by saying "if this news isn't true it's because some sales idiot at Bethesda sent out incorrect info".

So there you go.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64103

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Striek said:
Come on, with a PC<>Console game like Oblivion its just the damned simple truth. IMO. Mods and controls make the PC version superior. To me. I'm the one whose saying that. Its an opinion, and I don't think I have to qualify that so sensibilities aren't hurt. Console wars be damned.

It's not your single post that I am talking about. It's just the phrase in general. It's over used here SOOOO much and it's gotten tiresome. I just noticed it in your post and commented is all. It's not like I am going after you in particular - just the phrase.

Jim

Razoric said:
At present we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360

Keyword there. :)

Seriously, many people here know PR speak when they see it... especially considering the amount of PR reps that visit the forum. The more Bethesda throws out the "no announced plans" keyword, the more they confirm it. If they would just simply say "... Oblivion is not coming to other platforms...", then people would believe it.

Really, the only issue is the possibility of some type of sales dropoff for the Xbox 360 version (and possibly the console) if this becomes public knowledge. I doubt that would seriously happen, but I'm sure they don't want to risk losing a single sale or pissing off MS - especially if they were "asked" by MS to keep the PS3 version on the downlow for x amount of time (which I personally believe is the case).

mckmas8808

Jim said:
Seriously, many people here know PR speak when they see it... especially considering the amount of PR reps that visit the forum. The more Bethesda throws out the "no announced plans" keyword, the more they confirm it. If they would just simply say "... Oblivion is not coming to other platforms...", then people would believe it.

Really, the only issue is the possibility of some type of sales dropoff for the Xbox 360 version (and possibly the console) if this becomes public knowledge. I doubt that would seriously happen, but I'm sure they don't want to risk losing a single sale or pissing off MS - especially if they were "asked" by MS to keep the PS3 version on the downlow for x amount of time (which I personally believe is the case).

Eggggaxctly! E3 can't come soon enough.

snatches

I can't believe I woke up and this thread is still going. Even the blokes at Eurogamer are on it. What is funny is the lack of denial on Bethesda's part and the carefully worded PR. How can anybody think this is made up?

Also, everyone is running the story. Almost like they new about this news but were under NDA....this break gave them a chance to run the story.

Convenient.

edit: ^^^^beaten^^^^

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
snatches said:
I just got a release list from Bethesda....first one in a while. I gave it a quick glance then did a double take and spit take with my morning coffee.....take a look:

PS2 AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
XBX AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
PS2 IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
XBX IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
PS2 Pirates Of The Caribbean:Legend of Jack Sparrow 1-Jun-06
PS2 Star Trek - Battlestations 6-Oct-06
360 Star Trek - Legacy 6-Oct-06
DS Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PSP Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PS3 Oblivion 6-Nov-06
PSP Oblivion 6-Nov-06

How come the list posted is in alphabetical order with the exception of oblivion?

Speevy

Banned
I'm not too concerned about the alphabet. snatches, why did Bethesda send you this list? Take-Two publishes the game. Are they publishing the other versions themselves?

Jim

Do The Mario said:
How come the list posted is in alphabetical order with the exception of oblivion?

Maybe also because the real name of the game is "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" and Snatches was too lazy to type it out :)

Do The Mario said:
I am the whole list is systematically alphabetical from the games to the consoles they are being released on, the positioning of oblivion doesn’t seem right.

Look at the dates of the releases. You might see a pattern.

:lol

Pimpwerx

It would have been better if this was false, b/c then we could just disregard everything leading up to E3 as FUD. Kudos on the scoop, snatches. Seems like it's just waiting to be announced afterall, that is cleary PR speak there. Oh well, it just means that this will be a diamond in the rough once all the scuttlebutt hits the wires in full. PEACE.

snatches

Speevy said:
I'm not too concerned about the alphabet. snatches, why did Bethesda send you this list? Take-Two publishes the game. Are they publishing the other versions themselves?

I get a release schedule update from the firm that handles their sales and marketing in my area on a regular basis, along with other release schedules....and I am not being any more specific than that.

snatches said:
I get a release schedule update from the firm that handles their sales and marketing in my area on a regular basis, along with other release schedules....and I am not being any more specific than that. There is more to this story as it relates to Bethesda and publishing titles but I am not at libery to discuss anything else.

IMO, that's quite a bit more interesting than the Oblivion on PS3/PSP scoop. Many folks were reading a serious Take-Two interest into their publishing of Oblivion, so you've got me pretty damn intrigued. Any chance the publshing "story" will come out soon?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Xenon said:
The art in oblivion just got a little better
Confirmed: Bethesda will remove all the butterface women in Oblivion and replace them with better models in the PS3 version. ;)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
kaching said:
Confirmed: Bethesda will remove all the butterface women in Oblivion and replace them with better models in the PS3 version. ;)

+1 Sale

The only hot woman in Oblivion are the freakin Dark Elfs

bry-bry

As a fan of Western RPGs, this is fantastic news. Added exposure can do nothing but propel TES series further. Hopefully Oblivion is successful enough on the PS3 for publishers to see a demand for this type (and caliber) of RPG. We need more single-player WRPGs period, imo.

Go go go Bethesda!

Okay, MS, time to buy JoWood...NOW. :p

mckmas8808

Hold on!! So somebody else is publishing the game for Sony? Maybe Peter Moore was right. Exclusive to the XBOX 360
while being published by 2K Games

Top Bottom