• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure Wii Games worth checking out?

bomblord1

Banned
How is Sakura Wars on Wii? better here or on Playstation 2? it's the only entry to get an English translation - correct?

I can't comment on how it compares to the PS2 version but I enjoyed it. It was wonderfully cheesy and over the top and the characters are really well done. I played through it on dolphin but didn't experience any issues with the game itself everything worked as advertised.

KdylanR92

Escape From Bug Island!!! includes: time travel, sexy but creepy reptile ladies, multiple king kongs, dogs that just came from the berserk manga, the final boss of resident evil 2(leon A) and much more.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Yes, it was re-released on PS3/Vita, but this is the original!)

Love this game, but wouldn't recommend the wii version to anyone that has a choice. Beautifully retranslated, higher resolution, a button for jumping instead of d-pad up, and a bunch of DLC side stories.

jackal27

Banned
Bruh. You've got 120 Wii games. We should be asking YOU!

But just in case:

Spyborgs
Deadly Creatures
Arc Rise Fantasia
Rune Factory Frontier (I don't recommend Tides of Destiny)
Sin and Punishment 2
Chocobo's Dungeon
FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
Ghost Squad
Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth
Contra Rebirth

Those are some of my more obscure recommendations that you may still not have.

There's some game with some anime kids standing over a puddle or something

that was overlooked based on a lot of peoples talk about it

I have no idea what the game is

kunonabi

Nintendo's first party output on Wii was mostly disappointing, but there are some solid B-tier games on that system.

Wii easily has my favorite selection of 1st party games from Nintendo

I think most of the stuff I was going to say has been mentioned and it doesn't sound like import releases are what you're looking for. A few I think haven't been mentioned

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition - Easily my favorite sandbox game since Steambot Chronicles. I don't even like the Godfather films and I loved this game. Motion controls were super satisfying and it's a ton of to do the story and side missions.

Let's Tap - Fun game where you use the remote to register players tapping on boxes to control the different games. The race and puzzle ones are the best of the bunch.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - really fun coop lightgun shooter from a third person perspective. It was developed by Next Level Games.

Gameboy415

Pirates Plundaar! is a side scrolling beat em up that is well worth the $0.99 at gamestop. It's like Guardian Heroes or Castle Crashers just not as good. Still pretty fun and even 4 player!

wCUoahL.jpg

Wow, I had legitimately never heard of this one!
It looks pretty fun and I'll definitely grab it for 99¢ if I can track down a copy. :)

A vote for a surprisingly fun racing game that does not contain the words "Mario Kart":

SGIEA4.png

51aIpVDkI6L.jpg

51marggQnCL.jpg

Beep beep!

I always forget about this one - it looks great!

dickroach

kunonabi

Yeah, and it feels that way while you're playing it as well.

Looks like import releases are being mentioned so I'll add:

Eyeshield 21: The Field's Strongest Warrior - A licensed football game from Nintendo. It has some balance issues and it's pretty shallow compared to the PS2 game but it's a fun arcadey football game similar to Tecmo Bowl.

Takt of Magic - I guess you would it call it a light rts where you draw shapes to cast spells. You can combine the shapes to create new spells and it is packed with content.

benao

Neo Member
I'm not quite sure if this has been mention or if you have collected this yet, but I do recommend The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces. It is a excellent air-combat/dog fighting game. The story and missions are very interesting, the controls and combat are tight, and it is quite engaging.

Came here to suggest this one, and the OP has it :/

Cool motion controls tho.

I guess my collection wasn't that obscure.

Wii Play Motion (I think it's good for what it is)
Bomberman Land and Bomberman Blast
Bonsai Barber
Rock n' Roll Climbing (WiiWare) or whatever it was called
DRiiFT Mania
Maboshi's Arcade
Magnetica Twist
Yes to all of these.

Special call out to Bonsai Barber—phenomenal stuff from, believe it or not, one of the original GoldenEye 64 team!

I found both Excite Truck and Excite Bots to be shockingly good and I'm not typically a fan of racing games, though neither of them are very typically.
Amen brother, Excite Bots definitely counts as obscure. NA only. My Excite Truck review:
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/1349871356/excite-truck

GTI Club: Supermini Fiesta never made it to Europe, FWIW. PS3 version was great, the Wii version is substantially different.

Maboshi's Arcade (mainly for the circle game)
Amen brother. Here's my review (with video link and DS version) of why MaBoShi is potentially the greatest of all time:
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/1342575347/maboshi

Orbital (WiiWare)
fantastic one button controlled journey through a solar system where you have to absorb planets using gravity alone
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/1402201900/orbital

GoldenEye: 007
Better than the N64 game due to motion pointer control. Seriously.
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/1487352708/goldeneye-007

btw, the wiiware game by Trials HD devs I was thinking about is MotoHeroz. Even with the 'z' Nintendolife still gave it a 10/10
Great 4 player game. Wii Party also counts in that regard.

My grab bag from this thread:
Sin & Punishment 2
Wario Land: Shake It!
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition

Muramasa: The Demon Blade—looks gorgeous but sadly not my cup of tea.

PoP: Sands of Time—totally different game on Wii than other platforms. Same goes for another Ubisoft game—Driver: San Francisco. Both worth playing.

The Wii had/has an awesome collection of good games... too bad it just gets labeled as a soccer mom, or toy not a real console by most diehards.
Sad but true. What a machine—a real revolution in gaming.

TheMoon

Lost in Shadow worth picking up?

Yes!

Nintendo's first party output on Wii was mostly disappointing, but there are some solid B-tier games on that system.

Mostly disappointing? SMG 1+2, NSMBWii, DKCR, Kirby's Epic Yarn / Return to Dreamland, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Metroid Other M, New Play Control Pikmin 1+2, FE Radiant Dawn, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean 1+2, Sin & Punishment 1+2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Rhythm Heaven Fever, SSSB, Punch Out, Excite Truck/Excitebots: Trick Racing, Fatal Frame 4+2 Remake, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Wii Sports + Resort, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Captain Rainbow ... is what you call mostly disappointing?^^

The vita port is in english and its better than the Wii version.

Uh.

Little King's Story has a really interesting conceit and artistic narrative twist, which is at the very least is a fun consideration of the mechanisms of playing make believe.

New Little King's Story is a harem simulator.

If for only this reason, New Little King's Story is a travesty.

Yes!

Mostly disappointing? SMG 1+2, NSMBWii, DKCR, Kirby's Epic Yarn / Return to Dreamland, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Metroid Other M, New Play Control Pikmin 1+2, FE Radiant Dawn, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Endless Ocean 1+2, Sin & Punishment 1+2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Rhythm Heaven Fever, SSSB, Punch Out, Excite Truck/Excitebots: Trick Racing, Fatal Frame 4+2 Remake, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Wii Sports + Resort, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Captain Rainbow ... is what you call mostly disappointing?^^

Yes.

There are some real grand-slam winners there, like Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, and Punch Out, but come on. You know that most of that list is skippable installments that have basically already been forgotten and lost to time.

You would be better off making the quality over quantity case.

D_prOdigy

Wimbledon being on reminds me that EA Grand Slam Tennis was well-received at the time. Did okay commercially, so it's weird that it never had much of a legacy

TheMoon

Yes.

There are some real grand-slam winners there, like Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, and Punch Out, but come on. You know that most of that list is skippable installments that have basically already been forgotten and lost to time.

You would be better off making the quality over quantity case.

Strongly disagree but no point in arguing about it, I guess.

Green Yoshi

I'm not quite sure if this has been mention or if you have collected this yet, but I do recommend The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces. It is a excellent air-combat/dog fighting game. The story and missions are very interesting, the controls and combat are tight, and it is quite engaging.

scsmall.jpg

The PAL cover looks completely different

Strongly disagree but no point in arguing about it, I guess.

Well, I guess agree to disagree.

But you don't have to tell the guy with the Elite Beat Agents avatar that Nintendo's overlooked titles are some of their best. I respect where you're coming from, even if we don't agree.

TheMoon

If I had seen that PAL cover I would have instantly bought it. The NA cover was so generic and plain that it turned me off

It's a classic case of stereotyping. "We're in America, Americans won't buy this unless there's an explosion on the cover and don't show anything that looks animuuu!"

I wish everyone just designed covers to look awesome, not focus test them to maximize theoretical sales potential. Oh and invent some kind of law that ratings logos are not allowed to be on the artwork lol.

Atrophis

Wait, is that an Ace Combat game in a Sky Crawlers skin?? :O

I think I need to pick that up at some point. Still need a lot of games to compete my Wii collection.

alvis.exe

Throw in another vote for Endless Ocean and Fishing Resort! Just three super relaxing and calming games.
Except for the stupid shark attacks in EO2 :mad:

Wish we could get an Endless Ocean 3 :(

Toothless

If you want a nice collection with decent games, I own a few obscure one's myself

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings - decent fun, if a lot of waggle
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga - fun LEGO game that started it all
ExciteBots: Trick Racing - Duh. It's awesome
Rabbids Go Home - SUPER FUN. It's like Katamari Damacy combined with Rabbids humor.
Boom Blox: Bash Party - improved sequel. What not to like.
The Secret Saturdays: Beasts of the 5th Sun - rare licensed game that's pretty good. It's a Bionic Commando rip-off sidescroller. Kinda ugly but a lot of fun gameplay. About two hours long though so you don't want to spend too much on it. It's kinda WiiWare-y but it's only retail.

For WiiWare, get Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People.

Yuterald

If I had seen that PAL cover I would have instantly bought it. The NA cover was so generic and plain that it turned me off

Flip the cover on the NA version... ;)
I'd like to think I had some part in making this happen, btw. Just ask Tom from XSEED about my incessant begging/emails back when this first released lol

EDIT: Everything obscure/cool that is worth mentioning looks to have been mentioned already. Wii received a lot of that post-PS2-era B-tier goodness that triggers all the right signals in my brain. I pretty much own/have played all the odds & ends mentioned in this thread, too. Wish I had more weird stuff to discover for this library...

The admiration for Zack & Wiki in here is worth heeding. It was a clever and engaging point-and-click puzzle adventure game in an era when everybody was still busy lamenting the death of the point-and-click puzzle adventure game. It's incredible to think that only a few years ago we had a Capcom that supported quirky one-offs like this, prestige ports like Okami, and revivals like Mega Man 9.
Was it ever proven that Zack and Wiki lost them money?

Nintendo should have stepped in, is a game that matches their controllers perfectly Wii Remote and Gamepad.

On topic:

Isn't there an uncensored version of ManHunt 2? That would be worth tracking. i would really like to have a decent surprise by going to an store an managing to find an stash of new Wii games lying around. i really like the variety in it's library.

valouris

That Final Fantasy city/rpg/simulation WiiWare game was good and reaaaally addictive, and it has been lost to obscurity ever since. That game deserves a sequel.

Nintendo should have stepped in, is a game that matches their controllers perfectly Wii Remote and Gamepad.

They were too busy swimming in money to care or even remember that game

Amen brother. Here's my review (with video link and DS version) of why MaBoShi is potentially the greatest of all time:
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/1342575347/maboshi

I like what you did there :) Seriously though the circle game in maboshi is one of the best examples of near perfect game design through simplicity. ALMOST NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT. Part of me wants to just create a mobile game that essentially copies that core control mechanic but I would feel like a shitter

i mean the potential as a breakout mobile game hit...

ike_

The Fragile Dreams love in this thread makes me very happy.

Your collection sounds amazing, you need to post a picture of that wall of Wii games when you can.

They were too busy swimming in money to care or even remember that game
Regarding them been to busy swimming in money. What about 2011?

The last years of the Wii was the time were NOA began to drive everybody insane. This guys literally had a good selection of solid titles to localize but instead they let the platform die and the brand to lose strenght.

Has anyone mentioned the Japanese only Takt of Magic? It's an amazing showcase of the Wii Remote and interface only possible with it's pointer/mouse type capabilities. The game is played Wii Remote one handed which is always cool.

Retail Ivy the Kiwi? It's another interesting use of the Remote.

Sushi Go Round and Cooking Mama World Tour. Not great but interesting games, i think that's the last Mamma Wii game and at the least it features various improvements.

meppi

Will import Zangeki. Once again thanks for the reminder. Quite a bit of stuff I planned to get but forgot. Need to put this in my Play Asia cart.

You won't regret it. It's one of my favourite last gen games.
It's even out on Japanese eshop for the Wii U but sadly it probably will never show up in the west.
If you like it, be sure to check out the EDF games as well on PS3,4, Vita or 360.

Oh and just a pic to put some more emphasis on this game. ;)

Updated OP with list of most of the games I own. Will finish it later. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Escape From Bug Island!!! includes: time travel, sexy but creepy reptile ladies, multiple king kongs, dogs that just came from the berserk manga, the final boss of resident evil 2(leon A) and much more.

I can't believe I thought this was a kids game all this time. It's actually an M-rated Spike-developed survival-horror game with B-movie plot. Doesn't sound broken just plain horrible. Perfect!

Probably the discovery of the thread for me, thanks!

rjc571

Banned
Calling is a good Wii game you've probably never heard of. Survival horror game from Hudson Soft (RIP). Used to be pretty rare but apparently got a reprint? It's well worth checking out!

On Wiiware, look up Vampire Crystals. It's a top down arena shooter type game with awesome pointer controls, where you have to kill a certain number of enemies AND collect a certain number of crystals within each stage's time limit. It's one of the last games to come out for Wiiware and probably the last really good one.

cj_iwakura

I think the PS2 version is more desirable since dual audio.

Apparently it's the worst Sakura Wars game though, regardless of platform. I wonder why they localized this instead of say, the PS2 port of 3.

Because it was the most recent entry, and made with an American audience in mind. 3 requires knowledge of 1 & 2. Posts like this are why it bombed.

Sakura Wars V is fantastic, regardless of it being the 'worst'. You probably never even played it.

Calling is a good Wii game you've probably never heard of. Survival horror game from Hudson Soft (RIP). Used to be pretty rare but apparently got a reprint? It's well worth checking out!

On Wiiware, look up Vampire Crystals. It's a top down arena shooter type game with awesome pointer controls, where you have to kill a certain number of enemies AND collect a certain number of crystals within each stage's time limit. It's one of the last games to come out for Wiiware and probably the last really good one.

Own both. I also bought it only months before the reprint for over $40 from Canada. Can have a new copy from Amazon for less than $20. Should have gone after Ju-On: The Grudge.

Top Bottom