• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer review thread [sci-fi / horror / cyberpunk]

Lime

Reviews seem to be pretty positive so far. I'll update the OP as more come in.

Metacritic
OpenCritic

Game Informer - 90/100

Bloober Team's latest is one of the scariest horror experiences I've played in a long time, and its strong sense of place, story, and action put it above the majority of other games in the genre. Observer is simply the best of both worlds and is a must-play for anyone who considers themselves a fan of either sci-fi or horror.

Gamespot - 9/10

Cyberpunk is a reflection of where we're headed as a society, an oddly alluring reality where we've allowed impressive technology into our lives at the cost of our humanity. This is a niche genre that needs new revisions and new pioneers so it can keep evolving as we inch closer to seeing its fictional warnings play out in real life, and Observer adds to the familiar parables in fascinating and unexpected ways. In that respect, and on so many other levels, Observer is a haunting and remarkable achievement.

Game Revolution - 9/10

Observer may only take nine or ten hours to complete, or a little longer if you search through the rubble even more so for collectible cards, and it feels like watching an excellent art house cyberpunk film every second. Its grimy characters, seedy underbelly of futuristic Poland, and uncomfortably bizarre storylines combine to make some of the greatest experiences I've ever had in gaming. It may be a little unorthodox, but it's executed fantastically. If you're looking to be simultaneously terrified and intrigued, you need to spend a few days with Daniel Lazarski as an Observer.

Gamespew 9/10

An audio and visual tour de force, Observer doesn't pull any punches. It would appear that Layers of Fear was simply foreplay for Bloober Team; a warm up for the full-on fuckfest that Observer is. Combining investigation, exploration, stealth, puzzles, and a near constant barrage of horror, Observer is a meticulously created game that rarely puts a foot wrong. If you think you have the stomach for it, this could be one of the biggest surprises of the year.

New Game Network - 8/10

Observer features remarkable trips through fictional minds that unsettle and terrify without relying on excessive jump scares. The nightmares contrast wonderfully with an atmospheric and detailed cyberpunk world that is always fascinating to explore.

Game Skinny - 8/10

All along the way, you will find yourself asking, "Is any of this even real?. There might not be any zombies or giant killers with pick axes, but in terms of unsettling atmosphere and thought-provoking horror, Observer absolutely delivers.

Just be careful because the seizure disclaimer at the beginning ain't kidding either -- if flashing lights aren't your thing, take it easy with this one.

Slant Magazine - 6/10

Whether or not you suffer from simulator sickness, Observer will make you queasy. For better and worse, that's the point of the game, which uses a cyberpunk detective framework to meditate on augmented reality and consciousness.

Gaming Bolt - 6/10

Observer feels like a step down from Layers of Fear. It's intriguing and mind-bending enough for sure with its atmosphere sure to creep out people. But the lead VA, annoying artefacts and some of the horror elements just don't click.

Steam Store page
PSN page

Screens:
ss_b3334e7d1d8dee066dp9sue.jpg
ss_db8a64c8ff552ed22awis8p.jpg
ss_3f4ec0c9c803a80f3dlksj7.jpg

Trailer

Forgot all about this and had no idea it was out this soon. Reviews look great and this setting definitely interest me more than Layers of Fear did.

DukeBobby

Ha, you just beat me to the punch. Your thread is better than mine anyway.

Great reviews so far. Definitely picking it up tomorrow.

WTF? I loved the concept as soon as I heard about it but figured what with the low profile it'd probably a janky mess witch a cool concept. Great to hear it actually delivered. More cyberpunk to the people.

Pretty cool... I was interested on it as it's probably type of game I'd enjoy even if it was poorly reviewed but I really wasn't sure how it'd be critically reviewed and it's cool that it's been well received and having a rather strong impact on players.

Velkyn

This looks exactly like the right type of aesthetic for a cyberpunk setting, but I find the voiceover super jarring. It's like all of the voice talent in David Cage games, it's all grammatically correct but just sounds a bit off. Can we do Polish with English subs?

Edit: Oh wow that's Rutger Hauer? Wouldn't have guessed. Then it's probably voice direction more than anything.

Is this the one by the Layers of Fear fellas? Wow, I'm surprised it's scoring so well.

2017 is the gift that keeps on giving. Another game added to my buy list.

KLoWn

Holy shit.. That game looks awesome, and I don't think I've ever heard of it even.

*Starts up Steam and buys it*

theWB27

Ten hours is right up my alley right now. Love some cyberpunk so ill hopefully get it this weekend. Was very successful with staying away from the new media.

mjc

Cautiously interested in this...I wasn't too enthused by Layers of Fear. Some parts were spooky but it felt like a sloggish walking simulator.

oh shit, guess it's sonic and this today. Indie. narrative based scifi is basically instabuy for me, Hauer just takes it to day 0

Uzzy

Out in seventeen hours. That's enough time to watch Blade Runner at least a couple of times, while putting the soundtrack on repeat.

I'm really excited about this now that I saw Rutger Hauer's in it.

Fury451

Banned
Really surprisingly strong reviews.

It's a minor shock honestly. A lot of these games nowadays look amazing but turn out to be ho-hum aside from some visuals. This seems like it got it right.

Double shock considering this is the team that made Basement Crawl, then went on to do the (imo really good) Layers of Fear. Talk about an upward trajectory.

Fisty

I am really impressed how the devs of Basement Crawl managed to turn the studio around. One hell of an accomplishment, to say the least.

Zakalwe

Banned
Very excited about this with the reviews being so strong. Horror/Sci-fi is one of the best mixes of genre possible.

Roy playing Deckard is too good to miss.

I've seen one trailer for this game and that's it, I've tried to avoid as much as I can.

Skimming the OP and seeing generally positive thoughts I can't wait to jump into this tomorrow! :)

Don't want to spoil myself with videos or in the OP generally and just found out about this game here. I'll be the "what do you do?" guy...is it basically an Adventure game, Walking Sim, or what is it in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay?

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
The game is excellent. While I haven't finished it just yet, it has quickly been added to my "Favs of the Year" list. I sing the game's praises on this week's DLC too. But yeah, I really like it so far.

The game is excellent. While I haven't finished it just yet, it has quickly been added to my "Favs of the Year" list. I sing the game's praises on this week's DLC too. But yeah, I really like it so far.
Literally just heard this on the podcast and the raves were enough for me to seek it out on the X1 store (it doesn't show up yet) and then come here to see how much this costs as it went from "never heard of this" to "instant buy" in record time for me. Thanks for the tip on the podcast!

Excellent reviews!

I absolutely love and adore Layers of Fear and was hoping their next horror game wasn't going to just be a LoF/Sci-Fi mash-up. Nice to see they aren't a one hit horror wonder.

Only question is do I wait till October and play it closer to Halloween. Hmmmm...

Top Bottom