• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer review thread [sci-fi / horror / cyberpunk]

Wanderer5

Huh, color me interested. I might keep this in mind if I am looking out for a new horror game when Halloween comes around.

ViciousDS

Banned
why are the screenshots really weird in look? Is that chromatic aberration or something in those shots?

Other than that it looks really, really good

jamsy

This looks really interesting but I'm not a horror game fan. Gonna need to wait til people here play it to get a sense of how scary this is...

So is this going to be the SOMA of cyberpunk? (compared to Soma's more "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" brand of sci-fi horror)

The reviews I've read make it sound like this is a legit great cyberpunk narrative as well, not just using it for an aesthetic

Dascu

What's the gameplay like? Any combat or interesting enemy encounters, or is it more of an atmospheric walking sim kinda game?

I read a review and still couldn't quite discern exactly whether it plays like a walking simulator or more like a full-fledged adventure game. If the game is more like the former then I'm not interested, but if there are genuine detective elements then I'm all in.

I read a review and still couldn't quite discern exactly whether it plays like a walking simulator or more like a full-fledged adventure game. If the game is more like the former then I'm not interested, but if there are genuine detective elements then I'm all in.
Considering "walking sim" has been everything from Dear Esther to Gone Home to Firewatch and Stanley Parable to Edith Finch, you're going to be have to be more specific than "more like a walking sim"

This sounds like it's like Layers of Fear-style dread and surreal horror + investigating mysteries and civilian stories in a grimy dystopian cyberpunk slums

It's a straight up adventure game with puzzles.

From the Game Informer review:

Observer has a lot more going for it than just these mind-bending sequences and jump scares. In the sections where you're actually in the real world as Lazarski, you're investigating crime scenes with the detective's augmented visions, all of which are visually pleasing and useful. These vision settings also help you solve puzzles, like scanning a corpse to read their various wounds and putting together how they died with your biosensor, or tracing a locked door to its security keypad via your electronic magnetic detector and then hacking it. The fine balance struck with these puzzles' difficulty makes them interesting but keeps them from being frustrating. While no combat exists in Observer, I never felt bored with the gameplay because it kept offering me interesting logical trials to solve as well as consistent scares and plot revelations.

A few side quests are also hidden in the complex that encourage you to make use of these skills if you want to meander away from the main storyline for a bit. I don't want to spoil any of them because they are so scarce, but I enjoyed what I played, with most of them feeling like classic short stories from a sci-fi anthology.

Sounds fantastic. I'll be getting this tomorrow, for sure.

That description of the bit with scanning corpses really reminds me of Hideo Kojima's cult classic Snatcher.

That description of the bit with scanning corpses really reminds me of Hideo Kojima's cult classic Snatcher.

tumblr_orkh91OqnT1s9a9yjo1_400.gif

I'm in...(edit: after I finish Prey at my ultra-leisurely pace)

Jackpot

Banned
Anyone know reviewers well enough to pick out one from somebody who hated Layers of Fear? Thought that game was abysmal in design.

NewDust

Hmm... It's at the higher end of what I would be willing to pay for it. Will wait for some extended gameplay. Also seems like a game Karak will have a review for and his reviews usually align with my opinion.

It's especially the horror element that I'm wary of.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, those are really good reviews... and the game looks like exactly the thing I want to play. Guess I'll be buying this tomorrow.

Thanks, that was more descriptive than the review I read. This game sounds like it's right up my alley then.

As a big fan of Layers of Fear I was already planning to grab Observer - reading all of the the positive buzz around it is awesome news!

Orca

why are the screenshots really weird in look? Is that chromatic aberration or something in those shots?

Other than that it looks really, really good

It's not there all the time and it's explained in the first few minutes. I thought I was having a driver issue until it came up in-game.

The Snatcher vibe is strong from the very first place you visit.

Plum

So is this an Amnesia-type "run away from invincible dude" horror or a "walking simulator" with horror elements? This seems right up my alley if it's the former. If it's the latter I'll wait until next year since I'm going through SOMA right now.

Karak

Hmm... It's at the higher end of what I would be willing to pay for it. Will wait for some extended gameplay. Also seems like a game Karak will have a review for and his reviews usually align with my opinion.

It's especially the horror element that I'm wary of.

...Sorry guys,. I was informed I can't release my review until tomorrow 7 am eastern and that no one would be. I am totally confused.
Happy to see the positive thoughts though!

Please tell me it does not have these super annoying stealth moments Soma had. I hate stealth that is forced upon you when walking in a interesting world with an interesting story atmosphere, story and plot.

It completely destroyed my enjoyment of Soma so I quit. Why didn't they give the PS4 version of Soma an option to play without those terrible encounters???

fetus8

Please tell me it does not have these super annoying stealth moments Soma had. I hate stealth that is forced upon you when walking in a interesting world with an interesting story atmosphere, story and plot.

It completely destroyed my enjoyment of Soma so I quit. Why didn't they give the PS4 version of Soma an option to play without those terrible encounters???

Because it was a core element of the game and kind of important to the story...?

NewDust

...Sorry guys,. I was informed I can't release my review until tomorrow 7 am eastern and that no one would be. I am totally confused.
Happy to see the positive thoughts though!

Hey at least I was right about you reviewing it :). Already thought there was some embargo shenanigans.

Soma was by a different dev, if you're making that connection (I can't tell if you are : )

nillapuddin

It's not on Xbox store?

No mention of it anywhere, this is strange.

How much 'scariness' are we talking here?
If there's 20% horror I am in, if it's trying to be scary the whole time.. Ehhhh

Pennywise

It's not on Xbox store?

No mention of it anywhere, this is strange.

How much 'scariness' are we talking here?
If there's 20% horror I am in, if it's trying to be scary the whole time.. Ehhhh
@BlooberTeam 2h2 hours ago

The console versions are scheduled for tomorrow.PS4 owners in EU-the game will roll in late and will launch with store update on the 16th

I'm so ready for this! Is it $30? Can't wait to explore the neon grit!

@BlooberTeam Aug 10

The price of #observergame on launch will be set to €/$ 29,99 ! #LayersOfFear Steam owners will get a 20% discount at launch!

Lagamorph

So when is this actually going up on the PS Store?
I can't even see a pre-order for it on the UK PSN Store. Same for Night Trap that's supposed to be out today.

Edit - Just seen the mention of it being a day late in the EU. Ugh. Whyyyyyy? Wouldn't be surprised if Night Trap is the same.

Pennywise

So when is this actually going up on the PS Store?
I can't even see a pre-order for it on the UK PSN Store. Same for Night Trap that's supposed to be out today.

Edit - Just seen the mention of it being a day late in the EU. Ugh. Whyyyyyy? Wouldn't be surprised if Night Trap is the same.

I suppose both will be coming with the store update.
A shame that they don't update the store before.

Top Bottom