• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian: Microsoft looking to extern-publish [mid-to-large size] independent studios

theWB27

This thread proves that MS/Xbox can do no right in the eyes of some.

This is literally a sign of things to come (that Phil Spencer quote saying they just greenlit an exclusive around E3 should be true then). Hopefully this year's situation doesn't happen ever again.

Make a thread talking about Microsoft not investing in games...what are they doing.
Make a thread talking about Microsoft investing in games...what are they doing.

Trago

If Microsoft bought/hired the PUBG team along with their game, that would be huge for them.

I would rather Microsoft just hire these studios while they remain independent. That sort of arrangement allows the studios to pick and choose what they do easier. Contracts and all.

They won't be buying them lol. Bluehole turned down Tencent, there's no chance Microsoft will get them.

Never say never.

I'm sure Minecraft received endless offers until MS came along and put up some real money.

Either way, MS needs new talent and more AA and AAA games in development.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is this really a change when we already have Crackdown 3 being developed by Sumo, Recore by Amature, Quantum Break by Remedy, Rise by Crytek etc?

It's a difference in that maybe one of the new studios they hire on might make something that sells.

MS is crazy if they don't secure console exclusivity for PUBG.

Eolz

So something between 75 and 250 devs-sized studios?
Seems reasonable enough

I imagine they're thinking less along the lines of $5 billion buyouts, and more along the lines of signing studios like Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Gobo, Avalanche, Sumo, IO Interactive, and that kind of thing.

Didn't think about IO, forgot that they were indie again. But yeah, good list. Wouldn't be surprised to see them try to hire a japanese dev again too, despite the obvious issues.

I don't think you understand just how much money Tencent have and how much they invest.

Maybe Bluehole doesn't feel that's a good fit for them. They know they could get an equal amount(possibly more)elsewhere and feel there is a better company for them. For many companies, it's not the money that's the problem.

nampad

This is pretty much what every gamer wants to hear and there are a lot of talented independent studios out there.

I did not buy the Xbox One so far because I still hold a grudge for their initial vision for it, even after all these years.
And after the output of first/second party games seemed to focus too much on their big brands, it got quite easy to stick to the plan even though the Xbox can be found quite cheap here in Germany.

If they are bolstering their first party studios enough, their next console might get my money again.

Maybe Bluehole doesn't feel that's a good fit for them. They know they could get an equal amount(possibly more)elsewhere and feel there is a better company for them. For many companies, it's not the money that's the problem.
Jesus. Tencent and Bluehole line up perfectly.

Do you know who Tencent and Bluehole are?

I feel like buying Bluehole isn't really something they're considering. It seems like Playerunknown is the most valuable part of PUBG, not Bluehole themselves (though they obviously deserve credit as well). So buying Bluehole would only be good for as long as they can keep Playerunknown on board -- unless they would just turn it into a PUBG factory for the indefinite future.

Bizzquik

Remedy, Insomniac, Platinum....

They have hired independent devs and success just hasn't happened - to the point that some games don't even ship.

Why should an indie sign up with Microsoft? And I'm asking as one of Microsoft's biggest fans on Gaf...

blakep267

What does it mean when "hiring" a studio? Is this like they (Microsoft) have a project in mind and are looking for devs to bring this idea to life into a video game, or are they looking for studios with ideas but no budget yet to create games they (the studios) wanted to make?
Both. A game like super luckys tale would be an independent studio pitching the game to MS etc and something like Crackdown 3 or halo wars 2 would've been MS hiring studios to make a specific game

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine they're thinking less along the lines of $5 billion buyouts, and more along the lines of signing studios like Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Gobo, Avalanche, Sumo, IO Interactive, and that kind of thing.

They should purchase Playground Games as that would make the most sense. Hoping that Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Avalanche and IO Interactive stay independent though. Wouldn't mind any of them signing a contract for an exclusive game but don't want to see them be bought out. Above all other independent studios, I hope Microsoft stays away from my beloved Housemarque.

They have hired independent devs and success just hasn't happened - to the point that some games don't even ship.

Why should an indie sign up with Microsoft? And I'm asking as one of Microsoft's biggest fans on Gaf...

To get paid and be able to keep the lights on?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think I must be running into some kind of cultural/language barrier with the word "hire" since people seem to be reading it as "acquire" instead of "sign a contract to publish a game with".

Not sure how Remedy and Insomniac are examples. Those games came out, but I don't see how it's Microsoft's fault they weren't massive hits. Why would an indie look at those and decide not to work with Microsoft? Those studios made the games and got paid, but just didn't sell all that well. Platinum is the only one of those 3 that I feel like Microsoft screwed the pooch on.

blakep267

Because it's either sign or risk going out of business because you don't have projects.

This is interesting news, hopefully some cool games come out if it.

I love the horizon series, but I miss PGR!!!!!! And while I'm wishful thinking, they should add a sequel to Lost Odyessy or Blue Dragon and Ninja Gaiden.

Granjinha

Let IO take a crack at Perfect Dark, pls

I think I must be running into some kind of cultural/language barrier with the word "hire" since people seem to be reading it as "acquire" instead of "sign a contract to publish a game with".

yeah i'm not getting most of the reactions here.

Madness

Goddamnit.

PUBG dev buyout incoming.

More like more Ryse and Sunset Overdrive style games coming after the criticism of Scalebound cancellation and few to no first party IP including Crackdown 3 delay again.

They're realizing no matter what they can't even pretend to be Nintendo and they are failing hard st even trying to match Sony. All they've done is not be able to give us many first party IP, while losing games like street fighter altogether and losing exclusivity and marketing for almost every major game including Call of Duty.

So since they can do indie or small okay ie. Get an Ori or Cuphead, they need an Insomniac sized studio to publish titles again. Still a shame no follow ups to Ryse by Crytek or Sunset Overdrive by Insomniac.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope they have some exciting stuff coming but are there even many of these sorts of independent studios around that aren't already busy to work with?
Not a ton. Most were left to die last gen, and the ones who survived often transformed into studios that can no longer make retail games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
MS have always used third parties and independent studios, not sure what you're telling me here that wasnt known?

I was telling you they won't be investing in traditional first party anymore, no matter how much we want them to. There'll be no new internal studios upside the big 4 they have now.

KonradLaw

Hope it's just work for hire. MS has even worse track record at buyouts than EA does. Getting bought by MS is pretty much a death sentence.

I was telling you they won't be investing in traditional first party anymore, no matter how much we want them to. There'll be no new internal studios upside the big 4 they have now.

Dont think i've ever disagreed with this. They dont seem to want more new studios, even if they should get them

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The primarily issue with opening new studios is you have to actually staff them, which is incredibly difficult these days if you want high end games.

Ubisoft gets around this by opening new studios and keeping them on support duty for 5-10+ years until they build up veterancy, but even then, the games they eventually make often don't pan out.

The primarily issue with opening new studios is you have to actually staff them, which is incredibly difficult these days if you want high end games.

Ubisoft gets around this by opening new studios and keeping them on support duty for 5-10+ years until they build up veterancy, but even then, the games they eventually make often don't pan out.

I would personally acquire some studios, however I understand why that is undesirable from an average gamer perspective and MS are fairly likely to run them into the ground unfortunately.

I would personally acquire some studios, however I understand why that is undesirable from an average gamer perspective and MS are fairly likely to run them into the ground unfortunately.
Also many studios just don't want to be acquired. I'd also wager that many are wary of MS in particular given their recent dealings with internal and external studios.

Stygr

Banned
People clearly dont and maybe wont understand english, the thread is talking about "hiring" not "buying" small dev studios...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cool. Besides Rare and Sea of Thieves, Microsoft's most interesting games are coming from independent studio partnerships. Independent devs seem to have great ideas, and if partnering with Microsoft allows them to put out better games than they would have otherwise then that is awesome.

timberger

1.) They're one of the only publishers going out of their way to sign mid-sized or larger independent studios, which is something they had seemingly been cutting back on.
2.) It sounds like they are even approaching studios they previously canceled games with, even as recently as this generation.

180s everywhere.

You'd have to imagine some studios are going to be very cautious about getting involved with MS given their recent history of treating devs like shit and cancelling games out from under them... but money talks I guess.

To get paid and be able to keep the lights on?

That sure worked out well for Darkside.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally I feel the most successful acquisitions are when a publishers buys a studio that fits with a business they want to be in for at least the next 10 years.

Like EA decided they wanted sports games to be a core part of their identity going forward, so buying Tiburon and the studio that became EA Canada both worked out very well.

When they bought Facebook game studios like Playfish, that worked out much worse, as the market wasn't stable.

If Microsoft settles on what they want to be, at least for the next 10 years, I think they can start considering acquisitions around that.

theWB27

Generally I feel the most successful acquisitions are when a publishers buys a studio that fits with a business they want to be in for at least the next 10 years.

Like EA decided they wanted sports games to be a core part of their identity going forward, so buying Tiburon and the studio that became EA Canada both worked out very well.

When they bought Facebook game studios like Playfish, that worked out much worse, as the market wasn't stable.

If Microsoft settles on what they want to be, at least for the next 10 years, I think they can start considering acquisitions around that.

Would that be GAAS? Or genres to be more specific?

FelipeMGM

that doesnt mean they should stop trying this model altogether

Maybe what they need is to restructure their approach on these kinds of deals, and that its likely whats happening right now

Trago

LOL

You serious? Getting paid to develop a game, its simple.

Better not work with big evil Microsoft! They cancel games!

Top Bottom