• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian: Microsoft looking to extern-publish [mid-to-large size] independent studios

SgtCobra

So something they've been doing for ages then? Got it.
Hope it works out for them, and us of course as we are going to be the ones eho play those games.

Trago

You over corrected here. Implying that devs may have some reservations about working with MS isn't beyond the pale.

To a point, sure. But games that are signed an released are games that were signed an released.

I don't know the specifics of every contract, but a publishing deal can almost always be looked at as beneficial.

Sounds like there gearing up for a new console in approximately 2 years.

Why do you think that!!? With the X coming out in 2 months and being as powerful as it is.....why release a new console so soon. I would hope before we see new consoles, we would see games exclusive to the Pro and the Xbox One X.

Toki767

I wonder if it's a case where Microsoft will approach smaller studios about games that are ready to be revealed and then pay a small price to make it exclusive rather than partner with a studio to develop a game from scratch.

Leflus

Interesting stuff if true. I guess the reactions to their 1st party decisions the past 2-3 years are finally getting to them. I hope they don't mess it up again, but at the same time I feel like that's too much to hope for.

You're focusing on the games that didn't work. When there are plenty of examples that did work

You give darkside as an example and i throw moon studios and the Cuphead devs as another example
Other recent examples:
-Undead Labs
-Playground Games
-Iron Galaxy Studios and Double Helix
-Splash Damage
-Sega (CA and Relic)

It's not all black and white.

Games cost a lot and when they constantly bomb it probably isn't financially viable to make them expensive so this makes a lot of sense.

KonradLaw

I wonder if it's a case where Microsoft will approach smaller studios about games that are ready to be revealed and then pay a small price to make it exclusive rather than partner with a studio to develop a game from scratch.

In first scenario they at most could get short timed exclusive. For full exclusivity they would likely have to pay as much or maybe even more than when starting from scratch,.

JCtheMC

They almost sunk Obsidian and now they're looking to maybe buy them? What's a nice way to say "get the fuck out of my office"?

Trago

They almost sunk Obsidian and now they're looking to maybe buy them? What's a nice way to say "get the fuck out of my office"?

Publishing deals are not the same as acquisitions!

f63.png

Fuchsdh

An Obsidian-made Fable game would be pretty sweet, tbh.

If they're going to make another Fable though I dunno why they didn't just keep Lionhead around. Feels like a waste, the same way CA had to pick up Halo Wars 2 because Microsoft axed the best RTS company aside from Blizzard before their game was even out (which became the best-selling console RTS.)

Sunset Overdrive 2 is happening isn't it?!

Scorpio.

Only joshing but nah, SO2 ain't happening anytime soon if at all. I think we'd all like MS to build or acquire new studios but there's a part of me that likes the surprise of some of the left field pics they manage to get. More of that please.

Jumeira

Banned
This really is great news, I don't think you can say otherwise unless you don't want Xbox to strengthen its library.

Leflus

Sunset Overdrive 2 is happening isn't it?!
Feels like Ryse 2 is more likely tbh.

Insomniac has Spider-Man and that's probably going to keep the Sunset Overdrive team busy for years to come.

Crytek has been in a slump as of late and could use a heavily promoted AAA release in the near future. The first negotiation for Ryse 2 supposedly broke down because MS wanted to aquire the rights to the IP, but maybe MS and Crytek are ready to talk again now that both companies could use a win?

If they're going to make another Fable though I dunno why they didn't just keep Lionhead around. Feels like a waste, the same way CA had to pick up Halo Wars 2 because Microsoft axed the best RTS company aside from Blizzard before their game was even out (which became the best-selling console RTS.)
They did a lot of stupid things with regard to Lionhead.

If they decide to reboot Fable one day I hope they find British devs to develop it. Obsidian is an excellent studio, but I don't know if I want them to make the next Fable game.

Jumeira

Banned
Perfect Dark by IO Interactive

please

That would be incredible. We need another PD game. Something like Mankind Divided but with better funding and focus.

SO2 would be a huge win for Phil, Spidey comes out next year? No reason why Insomniac can't move onto SO in 2018, they were extremely proud of it.

Bsigg12

OP says: Microsoft is looking to partner and publish new games with mid to large independent developers.

ITT: people think Microsoft is going on a shopping spree buying developers.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft funded and published Deus Ex sequel developed by Obsidian. I see this on the cards since of amusing circumstances of the past and the relationships of mentioned parties (and people, especially on the Square management side) that have almost already happened before.

Win win. Remember this post.

Dynomutt

That would be incredible. We need another PD game. Something like Mankind Divided but with better funding and focus.

SO2 would be a huge win for Phil, Spidey comes out next year? No reason why Insomniac can't move onto SO in 2018, they were extremely proud of it.

Well if Spider-Man is well received expect Spider-Man 2. If I understand correctly Marvel and Sony are in it for the long haul especially if it IP turns out to be successful.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm ... just not sure how that is different from what they have been doing for the last 6 years+ ?

If anything, it tells me they are doubling down on looking for external deals with either already established IPs or upcoming IPs with a strong potential, pulling out the check book, instead of fostering internal development and developing their own IPs and studios?

I mean, unless there's something I didn't see in the article that's a new direction, MS has been doing that almost as a signature for the past several years

Capcom (Dead Rising), Crystal Dynamics/ Square Enix(Tomb Raider), Insomniac (Sunset Overdrive), Undead Labs (State of Decay 2), Platinum Games (Scalebound), etc.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ... just not sure how that is different from what they have been doing for the last 6 years+ ?

If anything, it tells me they are doubling down on looking for external deals with either already established IPs or upcoming IPs with a strong potential, pulling out the check book, instead of fostering internal development and developing their own IPs and studios?

I mean, unless there's something I didn't see in the article that's a new direction, MS has been doing that almost as a signature for the past several years

Capcom (Dead Rising), Crystal Dynamics/ Square Enix(Tomb Raider), Insomniac (Sunset Overdrive), Undead Labs (State of Decay 2), Platinum Games (Scalebound), etc.

Yup but they are going to double down on this and look for more variety, and praised titles they can get exclusive rights on.

Microsoft funded and published Deus Ex sequel developed by Obsidian. I see this on the cards since of amusing circumstances of the past and the relationships of mentioned parties (and people, especially on the Square management side) that have almost already happened before.

Win win. Remember this post.

This, or have them do PD in that same realm. Doesn't have to be as heavy on the rpg mechanics (I personally would like it to have rpg mechanics) but something along those lines. An open world, or hub based perfect dark game would be awesome.

Zukkoyaki

Is Insomniac only able to handle 1 game at a time?
They're definitely big enough to handle multiple projects, they actually released FIVE games in 2016. But those projects need to be way smaller than something like Spider-Man which is a high-end AAA game. Right now it's been pretty well established that a good majority of them are working on it exclusively. They may have something else cooking but it would be a small game.

borges

Banned
I think I must be running into some kind of cultural/language barrier with the word "hire" since people seem to be reading it as "acquire" instead of "sign a contract to publish a game with".

ha, yeah, exactly my feelings after reading first page.

Would still like them to change a bit internally, perhaps expand one of their few remaining studios to develop new things or reboot some of the old IP they have there. I'm sick of the sequel factory mentality they have with most of their own renaming studios.

Microsoft grabbing Ninja Theory would be sweet.

Having finished Hellblade, considering the size of that studio, there is some serious talent there. I'm a bit disappointed in them for not making a Xbox version but I totally understand why they went the route they did.

Top Bottom