• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocarina of Time 3DS screenshots

Which brings us the all-important question...

Which theme is better - Comet Observatory or Starship Mario?

Choose your (delicious) poison GAF.

Altazor

_Alkaline_ said:

tough decision, imo, but I'll pick Starship Mario. Both are great, though.

Pyrokai

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
GCX said:
Kondo has only composed a couple tracks during the last few years though. There isn't much material to form an opinion on how good or bad he is nowadays.

The tunes he did for Galaxy 1 and 2 were all pretty great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzYBrUl926c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbyqMdRS09w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6PNfkCXmU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEAstcYJQQ

Is there any place that verifies which songs he composed? Between the three composers on SMG (Ryo Nagamatsu did some SMG2 music). I don't know which is Kondo's work.

Spacejunk Galaxy is awesome. I think Kondo did that one. I'm not sure if he composed the piano fishing song in Twilight Princess. That was wonderful as well.

GCX

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Is there any place that verifies which songs he composed? Between the three composers on SMG (Ryo Nagamatsu did some SMG2 music). I don't know which is Kondo's work.
Going by the Iwata Asks interviews, Kondo only composed Good Egg Galaxy and Comet Observatory 1-3 from Galaxy 1 and Yoshi Star Galaxy and Starship Mario 1-3 from Galaxy 2.

Platy

Headphones give me headaches .... so 90% of the time i play a handheld i barely hear any sound, so i don't care if it has 64 bits midi or even 2 bit blips
but an 8bit version would be awesome

_Alkaline_ said:

Starship ... but that probably have to do more with the fact that i HATED the existance of the observatory ..... the music was the only good part about it

evangd007

_Alkaline_ said:

Starship Mario for the big, stupid grin it puts on my face every time I hear it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shikamaru Ninja said:
I'm not a huge fan of Kondo's later work. He likes to use his trademark library when making music, and it sounds cheap sometimes. Low quality, even if the tune is catchy. Sometimes he catches a good mix of synth instruments and can make a great tune. But Kondo is very hit and miss to me.

Kenta Nagata and Hajime Wakai I think compose better current tunes. Nagata did some of the best EAD piano music (and the awesome 1080 soundtrack). Or maybe a Taro Bando rock track :)

Actually. I think Nagata (1080) and Bando (F-Zero X) are the only EAD musicians who have composed rock tunes. And EAD rock is awesome.

What later work are you referring to? I think the last significant work that Kondo did where he composed more than 5 pieces was probably Wind Waker. Really, from the tracks I know he's done up til now, I still think he definitely still has his spark. Certainly more hit than miss imo.

And you think Nagata and Wakai are better? They made the awful soundtrack for Zelda: PH. :x

Luigiv

Gravijah said:
I don't want orchestrated, but I do want some new synth sounds. But I love synth, especially unique sounding synth. Besides, one of the best songs from SMG isn't even orchestrated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucsc3QDO6OY
Well it's not orchestrated but it's still pre-recorded using professional equipment, which is a far cry better then what the Wii's (or 3DS's for that matter) inbuilt synth can do.

Dreamwriter said:
Plllllease don't have orchestrated music
I want music that fits the game.
How does orchestral music not fit the game? Hell, we haven't even seen the mood of the game. Besides orchestral can be made to fit anything. See Mario Galaxy

wow, Link looks awesome

ocarina_of_time_3d_s-4.jpg

wwm0nkey

bluedeviltron said:
Is there a single reason to purchase a 3DS before this comes out?
to make sure you have it when this comes out :)

Also the launch titles are not that bad and will probably last until this hits.

Neiteio

wwm0nkey said:
This shot never gets old. It's so warm, so inviting. For the Zelda fan, its siren call is loud and clear: Come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

What's neat is all the stuff stacked in the foreground is no doubt there to create an impressive layered effect in stereo 3D. It'll truly feel like you're peering into a jam-packed shop, like you can reach out and rummage through the wares. :)

I bet they'll give some of the other Castle Town shops a similar overhaul. For example, maybe the Happy Mask Shop will be brimming with masks in the foreground, including ones from Majora's Mask (I.E. Mask of Scents, Don Gero's Mask, etc -- maybe even Majora's Mask itself).

The one-two punch of Pilotwings and Steel Diver, coupled with Pokemon Black, MvC3 and L.A. Noire, will keep me occupied leading up to this. And yet, the wait will still be painful. It's glorious to see this game being brought up to code. And having a 3D window to Hyrule I can carry in my pocket is amazing.

Come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

From The Dust said:
How does orchestral music not fit the game? Hell, we haven't even seen the mood of the game. Besides orchestral can be made to fit anything. See Mario Galaxy
While Mario Galaxy had some nice music, it didn't fit the game nearly as well as the music in Mario Sunshine.

And yes, we have seen the mood of the game - some of us have played through Ocarina of Time many times. And I pointed out earlier how it wouldn't fit the game - take the ranch music - that's supposed to sound like a country ranch "twang" with a cowgirl humming along, an orchestra wouldn't fit that. Or how about Gerudo Valley? Are you really saying that this song would have the exact same feeling when played by an orchestra? Here, this is an orchestrated version - while pretty cool sounding, it nowhere near matches the energy and feeling of the original's Spanish Guitar with horns.

Neiteio

DeathbyVolcano said:
There's a video where Conservative News Media (of all people) interview a Nintendo rep at GDC 2011 and the chap says OoT 3D includes Master Quest, so it's effectively "two games in one," as he put it. That being said, don't get your hopes up just yet; though the rep was explicitly clear in what he said, he could be misinformed. Let's wait until Nintendo comes out and confirms MQ's inclusion in a media release before we go about taking it as fact.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why does it have to be orchestrated anyway? Why cant it be composed of psychedelic jazz funk electronica remixes?

Luigiv

Ahh, you guys do realise when gamers* say "orchestral music" what they actually mean is "pre-recorded music, with real instruments", right?

*Key word here. You can't hold gaming conversations up to normal standards. If I had a dollar for every time someone claimed Sonic Colours had an orchestral soundtrack...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luigiv said:
Ahh, you guys do realise when gamers* say "orchestral music" what they actually mean is "pre-recorded music, with real instruments", right?

*Key word here. You can't hold gaming conversations up to normal standards. If I had a dollar for every time someone claimed Sonic Colours had an orchestral soundtrack...

Err, no. Anybody using the term 'orchestral music' should be referring to the use of an orchestra.

Top Bottom