• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I reported over at Great Leap Forward, a new study by two UMKC PhD students, Nicola Matthews and James Felkerson, provides the most comprehensive examination yet of the Fed’s bail-out of Wall Street. They found that the true total cumulative amount lent and spent on asset purchases was $29 trillion. That is $29,000,000,000,000. Lots of zeros. The number is quite a bit bigger than previous estimates. You can read the first of what will be a series of reports on their study here: I want to be clear that this is a cumulative total—and for reasons I will discuss in this post it is the best measure if we want to understand the monumental Fed effort to restore Wall Street to its pre-crisis 2007 glory.

It is certain that no government anywhere, ever, has committed so much to benefit so few. Wall Street owes the Fed a big fat wet kiss. That’s a kiss Chairman Bernanke apparently does not want.​

Read more: http://neweconomicperspectives.blogspot.com/2011/12/bernankes-29-trillion-dollar-fib.html

Chichikov

As I reported over at Great Leap Forward, a new study by two UMKC PhD students, Nicola Matthews and James Felkerson, provides the most comprehensive examination yet of the Fed’s bail-out of Wall Street. They found that the true total cumulative amount lent and spent on asset purchases was $29 trillion. That is $29,000,000,000,000. Lots of zeros. The number is quite a bit bigger than previous estimates. You can read the first of what will be a series of reports on their study here: I want to be clear that this is a cumulative total—and for reasons I will discuss in this post it is the best measure if we want to understand the monumental Fed effort to restore Wall Street to its pre-crisis 2007 glory.

It is certain that no government anywhere, ever, has committed so much to benefit so few. Wall Street owes the Fed a big fat wet kiss. That’s a kiss Chairman Bernanke apparently does not want.​

Read more: http://neweconomicperspectives.blogspot.com/2011/12/bernankes-29-trillion-dollar-fib.html
Whenever these numbers get thrown around I like to contrast them with the total outstanding mortgage debt in this country, which is currently around 13 billion dollars.

Alucrid

Banned
The new Rainbow Six game apparently features a thinly disguised Occupy Wallstreet (called the Patriots here) as the villains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pMz8PKe5RFU

JMnV8.png

He had one book where Middle Eastern terrorists were conspiring (conspiring!) with Mexican illegal immigrants to sneak in over the border, and the logic of the book was that white people literally could never tell them apart (but Mexicans and Arabs could tell each other apart! and wink conspiratorially at each other!). Absolutely insane.

maharg

idspispopd
It seems about as insane as his books have been for the last 15 or so years, so I don't see any reason to think he doesn't at least come up with the basic premise.

Here is a relevant Politifact article.

I see that Chichikov already basically covered this, but Paul fundamentally doesn't understand money. His concern about the "creation" of money is stupid, and misses the mark entirely. He is right to be disturbed at the Fed's actions, but he is disturbed for the wrong reasons. The article I posted by econ professor Randall Wray isn't concerned about possible inflation from the Fed's action or the creation of money. It is centrally concerned with how the Fed is operating in the interests of an economic elite instead of the broader public.

In a capitalist society with private banks, there is a public interest in having the Fed be the lender of last resort to banks (meaning providing necessary loans to banks but doing so at a penalty). But that isn't the role it was performing. It was fundamentally bestowing power on select institutions (and the discrete people who benefit from them) by offering immense, effectively long-term, cheap loans. Imagine how much money you could make if the Fed lent you a lot of money at 0.35%, even for a short period of time. But you don't get that privilege. This guy's bank did:

“I was buying short term securities that yielded about 12%. My choices of funding were CDs at 0.5% and the Fed at 0.35%, so I funded at the Fed. I funded my bank’s $80 million of AAA 9 month CMBS securities at the Fed."

As Wray wrote in the link provided by Chichikov: "It is not sufficient to claim that hundreds or thousands of borrowers got sweet deals from the Fed—as the memo released by Bernanke does. Where did the majority of the Fed’s lending go? Who benefitted most?"

It didn't go to the American people, broadly conceived. It went to institutions from which only a tiny, discrete number of people truly benefit immensely. Or, as a Bernie Sanders press release put it: "The GAO detailed instance after instance of top executives of corporations and financial institutions using their influence as Federal Reserve directors to financially benefit their firms, and, in at least one instance, themselves. 'Clearly it is unacceptable for so few people to wield so much unchecked power,' Sanders said."

This isn't a tired Libertarian complaint about the Fed's existence; it is about how the Fed is operating and whose interests it is serving. The Fed should have democratic oversight, not independence. This is a democracy, and in a democracy the people must be able to oversee all government spending. And not because we must keep spending in check (also a tired Libertarian complaint), but because when we do spend, we must spend equitably. I would much rather spend money paying off people's mortgages than buying up toxic assets, for example, or even lending to banks when it is just a pretext for recapitalizing them. The loans allowed the banks to recapitalize themselves by using the cheap interest rates to gamble on the market and make a greater return (thereby refueling the bank), but that gambling effectively occurred with our money. Shit, let me gamble with it before the people who just gambled so recklessly they destroyed the economy.

KHarvey said:
The report cited in the Politifact article details the information that author claims is being obfuscated or hidden.

The Politifact article doesn't relay the same information. Wray's claims are based on an academic study of the Fed's commitments. Politifact's article is based on the GAO study. Wray even mentioned the GAO report, saying it "excluded some of the Fed’s special facilities, most notably its emergency loans to foreign central banks—including loans to prop-up Colonel Gaddafi’s central bank, as discussed below." The GAO came up with a figure of $16 trillion. Wray's study, looking at the "true total cumulative amount lent and spent on asset purchases" came up with $29 trillion. As well, Wray is complaining specifically about the Fed's obfuscation, not the GAO's.

Politifact really isn't the end all to be like people make it. I came across many things both left and right that the points either flew over their head or just giving strange ratings in terms of the context.

Holy shit at the state of American newspaper reporting. Even if it's just a column...

Hasta la vista freeloaders!

Why do people keep bringing Barney Frank up? Are people so gullible to believe that 2 years later when OWS showed up that the Republicans just magically found an answer never discuessed before.

Dead Man

Probably already posted, but I didn't see it:

London police include Occupy movement on ‘terror’ list

City of London Police have sparked controversy by producing a brief in which the Occupy London movement is listed under domestic terrorism/extremism threats to City businesses.

The document was given to protesters at their “Bank of Ideas” base on Sun Street – a former site of financial corporation UBS. City police have stepped up an effort to quell the movement since they occupied the building on 18 November, with the document stating: “It is likely that activists aspire to identify other locations to occupy, especially those they identify with capitalism.

“Intelligence suggests that urban explorers are holding a discussion at the Sun Street squat. This may lead to an increase in urban exploration activity at abandoned or high profile sites in the capital.” The Occupy movement is listed alongside threats posed by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), Al Qaeda and Belarusian terrorists.

“Just the words themselves are enough to deceive the public opinion and this is what we see at the moment,” Occupy spokesman Spyro Van Leemnen told Yahoo! News. “We are clearly nothing to do with extremists or terrorists, we are a peaceful group and we do use direct action to raise our point but definitely not terrorism.

“The building has been abandoned for a good few years now and we think it is crazy for a bank to have it empty and not used when we know at the same time there are so many family homes that have been repossessed. Occupying that building and giving it back to the community is definitely not a terrorist act,” he added.

Commenting on the document, City of London Police said: “[We] work with the community to deter and detect terrorist activity and crime in the City in a way that has been identified nationally as good practice.

“We’ve seen crime linked to protests in recent weeks, notably around groups entering office buildings, and with that in mind we continue to brief key trusted partners on activity linked to protests.”

nitewulf

He had one book where Middle Eastern terrorists were conspiring (conspiring!) with Mexican illegal immigrants to sneak in over the border, and the logic of the book was that white people literally could never tell them apart (but Mexicans and Arabs could tell each other apart! and wink conspiratorially at each other!). Absolutely insane.

this is the same guy that wrote The Hunt for Red October...

Yes, it's dead for now. We'll probably see some things once the general election starts nearing. It's dead everywhere now though. All the cities cleaned up and it worked like a charm. The news in the USA has also been dominated by the Republican primaries though, so it could very well be that there's still some activity. Really shows how effective occupying public space was. Read an article how Hamas is going to focus more on protest, blockades and civil disobedience instead of violence. Really shows that Times' choice for the protesters was justified. The world is definitely a different place than it was before the Arab spring and OWS. Hopefully we see some more of this in 2012, whether it be OWS or something else.

All the OWS people got distracted by SOPA and the NDAA, which, while bad, aren't really related to OWS. Also it's the Holidays. I know I haven't been participating as much since I've come home for Christmas.

Uhh, what book was this, because this didn't happen...

alstein

All the OWS people got distracted by SOPA and the NDAA, which, while bad, aren't really related to OWS. Also it's the Holidays. I know I haven't been participating as much since I've come home for Christmas.

I believe SOPA is very related to OWS- it's corporationns taking away rights from the public, which is part of what caused OWS to sprout up.

I expect Occupy-styled repeats starting in the summer, especially around the Dem/Rep conventions.

The Dem convention will be especially interesting as they'll be in Charlotte, their mayor is going to run for governor again, he's likely to win, but I think he'll try to crack heads. Could backfire hard.

So what's the deal with the OWS. They took a break for christmas I suppose, but will they be back out in full force after? Could the governments plan of merely waiting it out succeed?

So Obama just did a recess appointment for Richard Cordray, which should be a good thing for the movement. Unfortunately OWS-folk are too busy painting Obama as just another corporate stooge to realize that he's doing something good for them here.

So Obama just did a recess appointment for Richard Cordray, which should be a good thing for the movement. Unfortunately OWS-folk are too busy painting Obama as just another corporate stooge to realize that he's doing something good for them here.

I thought they weren't busy doing much of anything at this point.

alstein

I thought the Republicans kept someone around at all times to block any recess appointments.

Glad Obama did something though.

Wazzim

Banned

Sorry but you shouldn't fall into his marketing trap. He hasn't done shit against what OWS is fighting for or even what he promised to do in his campaign ~2008.
All Obama is at this point is a fake 'option' for the people fed up with the financial institutions who robbed us of our money.

Winter beats principles. Too cold to stand up to inequality.
Tell that to the people who protested against the Czar in the October Revolution in pre-soviet Russia.
not comparing the two, just joking

314354_10150845546700037_848410036_21107002_1675743236_n.jpg

This is the police chief in Austin. I know this is old, but I only first heard about it last night. Apparently some NYPD officers are raising a stink about this.

Centurion

Banned
Unbelievable. How many similar unjustified arrests are going to have to happen until people start realizing how terrible this kind of thing is?

shut up and protest about the things we only allow you to protest about!

edit: at least this threads given some more ammo to keep going... it was dead for a while.

jorma

is now taking requests
Unbelievable. How many similar unjustified arrests are going to have to happen until people start realizing how terrible this kind of thing is?

It's not terrible at all, as long as they are limiting their actions to people with sea foam green hair. Apparantly, it turns unjustified arrests into justified arrests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom