• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October PS Plus: Need for Speed: Payback and Vampyr

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gotta say I'm still not happy with PS+ moving to just two games, but these are way better games than what's on offer on Xbox this month.

Geki-D

Banned
People who have both PS Now & PS Plus:
tenor.gif

Last edited:
NFS Payback only intrigues me because I heard somewhat good things about its audio engineering.

Vampyr was a game I tried on the pc, but just can't stand the soulsborne type combat to combat situations.

It just doesn't fit the game, to me.

I loved the conversation mechanics, and even the combat animation and gameplay is nice - but the approach is all wrong to me.

Shouldn't have been a soulsborne-like game to me.

Still the most interesting game from Dont Nod by a mile though, wish they give it a second go!

jaysius

Banned
I saw NFS and got excited, then I realized that it wasn't the newest one that was supposed to be at least meh, I heard not great things about Payback.

I tried playing Vampyre when it was on Gamepass ages ago, it never really stuck, who knows maybe I'll get it another another try.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Payback isn't that good, especially compared to Heat, but it has decent car selection. Never played Vampyr and missed my chance to play it on Gamepass before it left.

xrnzaaas

NfS Payback is a shit game, I regret buying it until this day. Vampyr on the other hand is enjoyable despite its flaws like overcomplicated city traversal.

Esca

Been wanting to try vampyr. Haven't pastured that need for speed. I'm chalking this up as a good month

Nice, I played Vampyr on GamePass but never got too far. I wanted to pick it up and finish it eventually. NFS Payback is a nice bonus too. Is it any good?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not bad at all. Need for Speed Payback is actually Ok. Its not amazing but I enjoyed my time with it.

Payback isn't that good, especially compared to Heat, but it has decent car selection. Never played Vampyr and missed my chance to play it on Gamepass before it left.

Heat is truly dog shit. It barely qualifies as a game. Payback can't be worse.

Just glad Hot Pursuit is coming back out. This series took a spectacular nose dive with Ghost - each new game worse than the last.

Alebrije

Need for Seed Payback is garbage....Vampyr is fine if you liked Bloodborne this gives you victorian ambient and good battle system althougt is more paced story driven game than action one.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Heat is truly dog shit. It barely qualifies as a game. Payback can't be worse.

Just glad Hot Pursuit is coming back out. This series took a spectacular nose dive with Ghost - each new game worse than the last.

Hard disagree here. And how does it "barely qualify as a game" exactly?

Payback is worse for many reasons, but Speed Cards being one of the bigger ones.

Strong candidate for worst month ever and there’s some tough competition in that category. My PS Plus expired just today and safe to say I won’t be renewing it anytime soon.

SkptNxe.png

URjhqXa.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is Vampyr any good?
It's pretty... ok?

I personally felt like the characters and their movements were too wooden, a problem that gets leveled at a lot of games that Focus Home Interactive publishes. When it first released I was hoping DontNod would bring some of the magic from the original Life is Strange game to the character interactions. Despite easily being the game's best feature overall, I still felt like it fell a bit flat.

I'd say 70 metacritic score is deserved though, it's pretty middle of the road and a solid C / C- game.

manfestival

Like another posted in here... I tried Vampyr cause of game pass. I played it for about 10 hours and dropped the game. It felt like a chore and the combat left so much to be desired. While the game does a good job with setting its overall tone. I felt the dreary nature of it weighing on me(not something I felt in games like Bloodborne or etc). Like I did not even want to bother singe playing it just felt like a negative experience. I did hit a huge plot point also that pissed me off and seemed like a cop out for the sake of the story. Combat was just forever ranged stunlock spam till you run out of blood. Then drink their blood and more ranged stunlock spam.

NFS Payback? What they couldn't afford Heat??? At least Heat looked interesting despite getting middling reviews. I will check it out but not that interested in it.

Last edited:

Kupfer

After Street Fighter and PUBG I expected something, how should I say, more AAA? Bigger? Better? Above 80's score?

This is just underwhelming.

GbsfIX0.gif

For me at least.

Last edited:
Hard disagree here. And how does it "barely qualify as a game" exactly?

Payback is worse for many reasons, but Speed Cards being one of the bigger ones.

Because it is near impossible to crash. Even if you try to crash on purpose. You just plow ahead with no real point since there is no consequence for fucking up. You even smash through concrete like it is cardboard. WTF is the point? It isn't even fun. You could play this blindfolded almost.

Without being ridiculous it honestly feels like a better graphics version of this...

05.jpg

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
NFS Payback is one of the worst games this gen. The worst NFS by far btw.
Undercover for example is genius compared to Payback.
Payback is ass and if you disagree take a good look at yourself and reevaluate your life choices.
Fuck Payback.
Thank god NFS 2021 is developed by Criterion again and the Ghost hacks are a goner. Incompetent losers.
Can't even make a semi-responsive driving model.
jfl

mcz117chief

Oh man, another month and still no Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 remastered :/ I still play it on Xbone using backwards compatibility but I was hoping this month would be the month and we could finally have the whole Modern Warfare trilogy on the PS4. Maybe next month.

RAIDEN1

I mean why bother with NFS Payback when Forza Horizon 3 is sooooo much better? Fair enough that doesn't have any cops in it either but even so it has the better setting and soundtracks...and better level of customization.....ALSO Need For Speed Hot Pursuit will be out in November even that game is better than Payback!!

Skifi28

Gold Member
Oh man, another month and still no Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 remastered :/ I still play it on Xbone using backwards compatibility but I was hoping this month would be the month and we could finally have the whole Modern Warfare trilogy on the PS4. Maybe next month.

Why would something that has not even been announced yet suddenly make its way to PS plus?

Last edited:

Illo

I got Vampyr day one. Its not a good game nor a bad one. Its more of a intricite board game or one of those early text based adventures with a few more bells and whistles. Its hard to explain.

But on the other hand, its trying to be a action-based game with Dark Souls-like difficulty and death mechanics. But note trying to be, its a really mediocre gameplay experience that's what your looking for.

It's a game you really have to play all the way through poorly first. Then decide if you want to go through the slog again because the gameplay finally clicked seeing everything through to the end.

I REALLY don't recommend people to play the game unless they are solely interested in the story, which is decent. And the multiple ending routes you can take may interest you enough to play the board game mechanics of killing/keeping people alive and taking note of infection levels of each area.

mcz117chief

Why would something that has not even been announced yet suddenly make its way to PS plus?
Bruh moment. All 3 have been made years ago according to leaks, MW2 remaster even had fully functioning multiplayer but it got removed close to launch in order not to take the spotlight away from MW4. Sony is just straight up sitting on it waiting for the right moment but I find it odd that they would release it after PS5 launches so I expected October myself. On the other hand MW2 released in March this year and MW1 in 2016, so hopefully that doesn't mean that Sony spaces them out every 4 years because that would be just brutal.

Top Bottom