• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

Um maybe I'm out of the loop here cause I don't follow VR news but besides being really weird why are you guys hating on him so much. I legit don't know. Educate me.

He funded an organization that put out anti-hillary and pro-Trump memes.

Also he wasnt a good spokesperson for Oculus. When they banned Revive (so that Vive can play Oculus games), he was like "lol, sucks for you!" then later "whoops. that was a bug in our update."

Before they had Touch, he was dismissing Roomscale/Motion controlled games.

Why is everyone so happy about this? Did i miss something? I never was into that oculus-facebook-thing. What happened?
He was caught literally funding a hate group who would advertise memes with his money, said he didn't do it, then fucking bragged to a journalist on the record about what he did. Even the hate group told him to fuck off.

Hagi

Why are we cheering? does this really negatively impact him that much? It's not like he needs the job. Get fucked just seems a tad redundant.

Why is everyone so happy about this? Did i miss something? I never was into that oculus-facebook-thing. What happened?

I don't know anything about this situation. Why does everyone hate him?

Um maybe I'm out of the loop here cause I don't follow VR news but besides being really weird why are you guys hating on him so much. I legit don't know. Educate me.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Bookoo

Why are we cheering? does this really negatively impact him that much? It's not like he needs the job. Get fucked just seems a tad redundant.

Yea it really doesn't hurt him at all, but any time Oculus news was posted here the thread was just filled with "Fuck Oculus" over and over because of Palmer's actions.

Green Yoshi

He started a Kickstarter campaign and then sold his company to Facebook a year later.

I only own the PlayStation VR and don't care very much about the future of Oculus.

Hagi

Yea it really doesn't hurt him at all, but any time Oculus news was posted here the thread was just filled with "Fuck Oculus" over and over because of Palmer's actions.

He seems to truly be a grade A twat so I can understand disliking his role in the company.

Jotaka

Good. Go fuck yourself Palmer.

TlkHjxj.gif

Next is Carmack!

With all the stunts he pulled and how bad things looking for him, he still wins in the end. Because 700 millions of monies

What implications will this have on the future of Rift and Facebook's plan for it going forward? I haven't really been paying attention to the saga but recently bought the Rift so genuinely curious. I get that everyone hates him but why?

Also i don't think he gives a fuck either way. Dude is a billionaire and laughing all the way to the bank!

Oh he most certainly doesn't give a fuck. Him and his white supremacist girlfriend are laughing there way to the bank. As for the future of the Rift I feel like this kind of lifts a taint off of it so I see this as only a positive thing for the Rift. Whatever damage there was to be done has been done already

Bookoo

He funded an organization that put out anti-hillary and pro-Trump memes.

Also he wasnt a good spokesperson for Oculus. When they banned Revive (so that Vive can play Oculus games), he was like "lol, sucks for you!" then later "whoops. that was a bug in our update."

Before they had Touch, he was dismissing Roomscale/Motion controlled games.

Oh damn what a douche. Since i just bought a Rift i guess I'm glad he is gone then.

Whoa how the fuck did I miss this shit.

A lot of people did. Even the gaming outlets that reported on it basically reported on it and never commented on it again. Outside of gaming and tech outlets this got almost zero coverage. It was weird how little coverage the story got.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The thing I never understood is if he was actually trying to keep it secret? A Daily Beast reporter ask him about it and he said yes. It just made him seem so naive and out of touch to openly admit to it.

Well then he said no he didn't say that, so it never happened or something. He really had his finger on the Trump style rhetoric.

Bookoo

A lot of people did. Even the gaming outlets that reported on it basically reported on it and never commented on it again. Outside of gaming and tech outlets this got almost zero coverage. It was weird how little coverage the story got.

What more was there to say? It seemed to be in the media for about a week or two and then there were no new information.

Anytime there was an interview or something people were ask "Where is Palmer Luckey" and they ignore it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yup I feel this as well. Seems the only community that actually gave a shit and didn't let it go was neogaf. Made me proud of the community, I won't lie.

Mesoian

Didn't Facebook do absolutely nothing when the news came out? Look at how positive their statement in the OP is.

That's a wonderful PR line that absolves both parties peacefully. It's exactly what you want to do when you want a clean break. It's proper procedure.

Also think about how vocal Palmer was before the incident, and how vocal he was after. They did something. You'll just never hear about it.

Oh he most certainly doesn't give a fuck. Him and his white supremacist girlfriend are laughing there way to the bank. As for the future of the Rift I feel like this kind of lifts a taint off of it so I see this as only a positive thing for the Rift. Whatever damage there was to be done has been done already

I didn't know anything about this stuff but reading up on it now what a douche. bon voyage but he still don't give any fucks about us. LOL Hope Facebook pumps more support into the Rift going forward. I jsut bought it after the price drop so looking forward to trying it out and comparing with my PSVR.

L Thammy

The thing I never understood is if he was actually trying to keep it secret? A Daily Beast reporter ask him about it and he said yes. It just made him seem so naive and out of touch to openly admit to it.

Imagine a guy who buys a new bulletproof vest and figures that he's now totally immune to guns now, so he asks a friend to blast him when a shotgun. When he still feels the force of the bullets hitting him, he yells out "help, I've been shot!"

That's kind of how I imagine this went.

That said, his response was really weird in that it couldn't decide whether he wanted it to be a denial or a fake apology. On one hand, he said "those emails admitting I did it were fake" but then he went "I did it but I did it for good reasons" in the same message.

Top Bottom