• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

Tain

Good. Oculus has a lot of good devs and has funded/published a lot of dope games, I hope more give them a chance now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't have anything to add that wasn't already said. All I can say is good.

And yeah right he 'left'. Probably more like forced out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Did Oculus fire that guy who flew to Seattle to have sex with an under age girl?

Or are they going to wait another 6 months for that one as well.

Bookoo

Imagine a guy who buys a new bulletproof vest and figures that he's now totally immune to guns now, so he asks a friend to blast him when a shotgun. When he still feels the force of the bullets hitting him, he yells out "help, I've been shot!"

That's kind of how I imagine this went.

That said, his response was really weird in that it couldn't decide whether he wanted it to be a denial or a fake apology. On one hand, he said "those emails admitting I did it were fake" but then he went "I did it but I did it for good reasons" in the same message.

That was the other thing that confused me. Are you really going to come out and say shit is fake when you know the reporter likely saved those emails? I was pretty confused like there was a missing piece to this whole ordeal, but it seemed to die after that.

Maybe he was so upset with the FB acquisition he decided to take one for the team and tank his own reputation as well as Oculus's. It would make the last 12-18 months make much more sense.

Elios83

It was obvious that it would end this way, the scandal around his political ''opinions'' damaged the company, he was forced out.

L Thammy

Maybe it would help if the OP is edited to include someone's explanation of why Luckey is hated. Doesn't take more than a sentence to get it anyway.

Why is this only happening now?

As far as I'm aware there's nothing about what he did that's illegal, it's just gross. So it may have been difficult for Facebook to legally fire him outright. Also, things playing out how they did I would guess to have actually had a softer impact on their stock (not sure if their stock was impacted at all tbo). My guess is that either his contract was up or now that the Bethesda suit is (mostly) over they finally pressured him to step down or resign.

What more was there to say? It seemed to be in the media for about a week or two and then there were no new information. Anytime there was an interview or something people were ask "Where is Palmer Luckey" and they ignore it.

I get that but it was just the fact that this story didn't blow up like it should have was baffling to me. Gizmodo was kind of the only outlet who even really tried to make what Palmer did the big story it should have been

akira28

Are you serious? Google is a thing.

no he want to engage you, and talk about the issue, and maybe discuss it a bit. and then finally explain his position for why he ultimately disagrees. But no one could have guessed, because he hasn't really been keeping up with it.

and you can't do that to google.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They figured the crowds had disperssed and it was finally safe for them to slip him out of the side door.

geeeeeeet fucked Facebook, Occulus... Geeeeeet Fuuuuucked Palmer Lucky.
They legit let him ride out his contract. Both FB & Oculus can eat dirt, fuck em.

I know it was done on Page 1 in text form, but

giphy.gif

Dantero

Buying the rift supports Palmer and co, the vive doesn't fit on my face and the psvr can't be used on pc.
I wonder when the next gen of vr devices hits...

CHC

Good riddance. I hope I bump into him shaking a cup on the street so I can drop some dog turds into it.

meanspartan

Good. Go fuck yourself Palmer.

True, but it is also true he was undeniably important in kickstarting (heh) the modern day push for VR.

VR has seemingly not taken the world (or even just the gaming industry) by storm, so who knows how significant it will be considered though.

Oculus was purchased March 25, 2014, so it's been three years. Probably contractual.

This seems most plausible to me. My guess is Facebook probably wanted to fire him but doing so at that time would've caused them more issues. In fact, I would not have been surprised if this was related to the Bethesda suit.

They legit let him ride out his contract. Both FB & Oculus can eat dirt, fuck em.

Cheaper and less onerous than firing him on the spot and going through long, and very public court proceedings.

Think of it this way.....we can stop talking about Palmer faster now.

To be honest considering how long they kept him around to sully the brand I don't really have an interest. He fucked me off when he lied about VR pricing. He fucked me off again when he lied about exclusive deals. It's been nothing but a trail of bullshit so they've got some serious work to do before I give them a second thought.

Hit your $300 target, then drop the exclusive crap and I'll give it some thought but as it stands the Vive is all the more tempting because they were straight with us the whole time, from announcement to release.

Armaros

Most likely they were content to just keep him in the background until the Zenimax verdict came in and Palmer was one of the major reasons why Zenimax won as much money as they did.

No coincidence that its near the end for standard contracts (fiscal year) and recently off the verdict (in business timescale)

He sullied the company's name with this alt-right advertising, failed in PR at various points AND directly cause them to lose a lawsuit because he broke NDAs.

How astronomical are we talking here? No other way to let go based on damage to public image or similar? Also, I don't know what I want half the time lol.

We don't know the specifics of the deal, but considering billions of dollars were at stake, I think we can safely assume it was as close to watertight as you can get, and all parties were pretty solidly wedded to each other for the period of the contract.

Top Bottom