• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

The sweet spot for me is seated with motion controls. I really enjoy standing experiences in moderation, but I hope we see some more seated games using motions controls that I can play for longer stretches. A cockpit game where you're actually interacting with things could be pretty amazing.

The sweet spot for me is seated with motion controls. I really enjoy standing experiences in moderation, but I hope we see some more seated games using motions controls that I can play for longer stretches. A cockpit game where you're actually interacting with things could be pretty amazing.

Yeah. I think that's my sweet spot as well. I don't think there are too many seated motion offerings though.

haloxk9

Neo Member
So I was wondering if someone could help me out with a small issue. I keep seeing that both Dead And Buried and Medium are free "upon activation." I have my Touch controllers set up and everything but both of those are still regular price when I look at them in the Oculus store. Am I missing something obvious that I need to do to get the games for free? I feel like there's probably a stupidly simple answer that I'm not seeing.

So I was wondering if someone could help me out with a small issue. I keep seeing that both Dead And Buried and Medium are free "upon activation." I have my Touch controllers set up and everything but both of those are still regular price when I look at them in the Oculus store. Am I missing something obvious that I need to do to get the games for free? I feel like there's probably a stupidly simple answer that I'm not seeing.

Shut down Oculus Home and start it again.

I started playing Elite Dangerous after getting Oculus Rift. This is my favorite game. Not just favorite VR game, but my favorite game period. Picked up a cheap HOTAS for $50. Nothing like it and I've put 175 hours in so far. Can't recommend it enough if you even think you might like Space Sims.

It seems really cool, I just get so lost on what to actually do. I dont really know what my goal should be. haha.

I guess getting a new ship and driving around on a planet would be cool? I dunno! What should I do!?!?!

It seems really cool, I just get so lost on what to actually do. I dont really know what my goal should be. haha.

I guess getting a new ship and driving around on a planet would be cool? I dunno! What should I do!?!?!

Do whatever strikes your fancy. It's not a game where there is a right or a wrong way to play. Of course, you should try to earn at least a little money, but that's easy enough by picking up the occasional mission here and there. Just pick something simple like transporting cargo.

AnnTiPa

I'm planning on getting a Rift after the new year and could use answers to some questions. Did some reading on them but actual feedback from people who have actually used the device for a longer period would be helpful.

1) Glasses. Based on what I read the Rift is the least comfortable of the big three for people with glasses. Officially the Rift can fit glasses that aren't wider than 142mm, mine are ~143mm. Anyone got any experience with this? How tight of a fit will it be? I suppose I could use my older glasses (~138mm) even though I can't see quite as clearly with them.

2) Should I just create an account in Oculus Store now and get some games I'm planning on buying (Elite, Superhot, Project Cars), while the sale is still on? I'd prefer to get them on Steam but how big of a hassle is it to get them running through SteamVR? Apparently it's possible (and I believe Elite is a bit cheaper on Steam) but if it's more convenient to get them on Oculus Store I don't mind spending a bit extra on them. (10h left on Elite it would seem so I'll have to act fast then).

CzarTim

2) Should I just create an account in Oculus Store now and get some games I'm planning on buying (Elite, Superhot, Project Cars), while the sale is still on? I'd prefer to get them on Steam but how big of a hassle is it to get them running through SteamVR? Apparently it's possible (and I believe Elite is a bit cheaper on Steam) but if it's more convenient to get them on Oculus Store I don't mind spending a bit extra on them. (10h left on Elite it would seem so I'll have to act fast then).

SteamVR takes zero effort to set up, just download the SteamVR app and the setup is actually quicker the Oculus' (though they're both quick.) Steam also has refunds as a plus, so I've been going there for non-exclusives.

AnnTiPa

SteamVR takes zero effort to set up, just download the SteamVR app and the setup is actually quicker the Oculus' (though they're both quick.) Steam also has refunds as a plus, so I've been going there for non-exclusives.

Thanks! I suppose I'll stick with Steam for now then.

SteamVR does have some issues though that you won't have through Oculus Home. For one thing, it's less of a hassle to launch games through the latter (launching games through steam requires that you launch either the game or SteamVR itself outside of VR before you can get started), but there are also issues with OpenVR's (the Vive's developer kit, more or less) integration with the Rift. Odds are that a game you buy on Steam will use OpenVR, while a game bought on Oculus Home will be guaranteed to use the Oculus SDK, even if it's the same game (Arizona Sunshine, for example). Some games will allow you to choose when launched on Steam, but far, far from all of them. OpenVR doesn't integrate perfectly with Oculus. For example, a recent problem requires that most Oculus Touch users run the SteamVR setup every time they want to use VR unless they want to be 4 feet tall in their games. This is something you won't have to deal with on Oculus Home.

I'm not saying that the difference between the two is huge, but I do think it's important to present a counterargument to the people who tell others to unreservedly go for Steam over Oculus Home. There are both advantages and disadvantages to both sides. One is not clearly better than the other. There's a lot of Oculus hate out there (it's a "console war" with even bigger up-front investments than we're used to), so take things you read about the platform with a pinch of salt.

senahorse

Was dead and buried for free a new thing? I got it on December 8 after I activated my touch controllers and was charged $40.

120v

for what it's worth i've had zero issues launching a game from oculus home, tons of issues with steam vr. but i'm not knocking that as a fault of steam vr per se, i can't expect it to be fully optimized for rift 'out of the box'

It really depends on what you want to do reallly. You can become a trader, smuggler, put in some cabins and take on some passenger missions. Be an explorer and find some unknown system to put your name on. I'm into combat right now and helping fight a civil war.

There are a lot of options. However, you do need to get into better ships in order to take advantage of some of those things. My recommendation for starters is to find a system that has some resource extraction sites (low) and scan and shoot down wanted ships. Collect the bounty and turn them in to get credits. As you make money, the better ships you can buy and the more options open up.

So, who voted for VR games in the GAF Game of the Year thread?

Chronos and Arizona Sunshine made mine.

As cool as the experiences In VR has been none of the games are going to crack my top ten. Outside Chronos which is the best VR game (and is barely a VR game as it could be done just as well normally on a screen) most of these games are too shallow for me. Everyone is afraid to let you move, to create the normal large scale games we are used to.

Do whatever strikes your fancy. It's not a game where there is a right or a wrong way to play. Of course, you should try to earn at least a little money, but that's easy enough by picking up the occasional mission here and there. Just pick something simple like transporting cargo.

It really depends on what you want to do reallly. You can become a trader, smuggler, put in some cabins and take on some passenger missions. Be an explorer and find some unknown system to put your name on. I'm into combat right now and helping fight a civil war.

There are a lot of options. However, you do need to get into better ships in order to take advantage of some of those things. My recommendation for starters is to find a system that has some resource extraction sites (low) and scan and shoot down wanted ships. Collect the bounty and turn them in to get credits. As you make money, the better ships you can buy and the more options open up.

It's such a fun game to just fly around and exist in. I just need a little more guidance, because I just get paralyzed by all the choices. Haha.

I will try to find a system with extracting sites and make some cash money. Thanks for the tip!

I think I will set that goal of driving around on a planet. What sort of things do you do on planets anyway? I can focus on doing whatever would be available to do on planets and work my way backwards.

Does anyone use VR Cover? The Rift is pretty comfortable but it could be better. Also, I never thought my eyes were very close together but for me the clearest setting requires the lenses to be as close as possible, and if I put the Rift exactly where it needs to be, the lense just barely touches the bridge of my nose. So does the Cover maybe put your face slightly further back? That would make it an insta buy for me.

It's such a fun game to just fly around and exist in. I just need a little more guidance, because I just get paralyzed by all the choices. Haha.

I will try to find a system with extracting sites and make some cash money. Thanks for the tip!

I think I will set that goal of driving around on a planet. What sort of things do you do on planets anyway? I can focus on doing whatever would be available to do on planets and work my way backwards.

There's a system called LHS 2088 that I believe has both high and low extraction sites and there's a base very close to them. It's been my home system for awhile, but I've been in another system Lately. Give that a go.

Also, the Neogaf OT is a great place to ask questions in. Most folks are very helpful in there as well.

I've put 175 hours in and haven't done the planet SRV stuff yet so I can't be much help there. I plan on looking into that and the engineering stuff real soon.

As cool as the experiences In VR has been none of the games are going to crack my top ten. Outside Chronos which is the best VR game (and is barely a VR game as it could be done just as well normally on a screen) most of these games are too shallow for me. Everyone is afraid to let you move, to create the normal large scale games we are used to.

Yeah, that's frustrating. It seems like the "teleport to target" thing is already becoming standard, and that's not good enough. Now that I've played Serious Sam VR, I wish I could go back and move normally in Arizona Sunshine, even though it didn't really bother me much at the time.

There's a system called LHS 2088 that I believe has both high and low extraction sites and there's a base very close to them. It's been my home system for awhile, but I've been in another system Lately. Give that a go.

Also, the Neogaf OT is a great place to ask questions in. Most folks are very helpful in there as well.

I've put 175 hours in and haven't done the planet SRV stuff yet so I can't be much help there. I plan on looking into that and the engineering stuff real soon.

Thanks for the tips.

I should probably join up with some people online and do things with them. Im just wandering around aimlessly, haha. Its fun, just not really pulling me back into it all the time.

Thanks for the tips.

I should probably join up with some people online and do things with them. Im just wandering around aimlessly, haha. Its fun, just not really pulling me back into it all the time.

Teaming up with others is a lot of fun. I have a good friend that plays, so we're often in a wing, which is a pretty cool experience. His ship (Fer-DeLance) is more maneuverable than my current ship of choice (Anaconda), so he's often getting people off my back :)

My VR Cover replacement facial interface glasses-friendlier version came today, and first impression... not sure it's worth the money, or how much good it's really doing.

Installation is simple. The default one on the Rift pops in and out pretty easily with a little pressure; it's just something I never had reason to try before.

However, with the new one in place, glasses or not the field of view seems noticeably less. This is something I worried about since basically its whole reason for being is to provide a bit more room for glasses, and you can somewhat simulate this effect with the regular Rift equipment just by pulling it away from your face a centimeter or two.

The foam part can be peeled off. It's velcro, designed to be easily switchable. With it off, using it seems to give the same field of view as the original Rift equipment--gaining that centimeter or two back from the padding, I guess. But this being the case... how much good is being accomplished? If my view is the same, presumably my glasses are now getting just as close to the lenses as before? Also the zero padding doesn't seem very uncomfortable in just the few minutes I was messing about now, but it would probably be more annoying in long play sessions.

Has anybody played The Witness in VR lately? It's crashing on startup for me after adding the -vr startup argument. I'm wondering if maybe that functionality was broken at some point.

Frozone

So after a few weeks of playing around with my Rift and Touch with quite a few games, here's my impressions:

Touch: Phenomenal! What a piece of hardware! It's natural controls are great and I never get tired of playing with them.

Arizona Sunshine: Pretty good shooter. I played it like 2 times but after that, I haven't been tempted to play it again. I was looking for melee gameplay but it's not there. I like the graphics though and I think the controls are really nice.

Call of the Starseed: I'm not quite sure what's going on here as far as plot, but the controls seem to be standard fair with other games for the Touch. Not sure how much longer this game will grab me. One big caveat that I hate about this game is that it doesn't use the built-in Oculus audio driver and you have to switch your entire audio setup to output to the Oculus headphones. This should be fixed ASAP with a patch.

SuperHOT: Incredible, fast-action, fast movement gameplay. I literally get tired playing this game and it's so unfairly hard! Nevertheless, it's clearly the best VR game for the Touch that I've played so far.

Ripcoil: Not touching that game. I get motion sick very very quickly moving those hoverboards.

Chronos: I love this game's presentation, art style and incredible controls. However, it doesn't "lead" you as much as the typical game so I got bored of it rather quickly. I want to like the game but also want to enjoy the experience. This game has similar drawbacks to Elite: Dangerous.

EVE Valkyrie: Very irritated that CCP has not fixed the joystick HOTAS problem (where you can't assign multiple joysticks to get throttle, rudder pedals and flight stick working). So uninstalled this game.

Edge of Nowhere: 1st and only game I finished as a full VR experience. It was a good game, full of good adventure. The ending bothered me but the trip was fun!

Elite: Dangerous: The most accurate space simulation with built-in VR support that I've played. The game is incredible with the A-10 Warthog HOTAS setup and some rudder pedals. I would play the crap out of this game if there wasn't such a grind and more intuitive missions. Also the universe is a very empty one. This doesn't really have anything to do with the VR but I wish this company would start making atmospheres and interesting things on planets other than just rocky terrain and a few small bases. This game has so much potential.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So after a few weeks of playing around with my Rift and Touch with quite a few games, here's my impressions:

Touch: Phenomenal! What a piece of hardware! It's natural controls are great and I never get tired of playing with them.

Arizona Sunshine: Pretty good shooter. I played it like 2 times but after that, I haven't been tempted to play it again. I was looking for melee gameplay but it's not there. I like the graphics though and I think the controls are really nice.

Call of the Starseed: I'm not quite sure what's going on here as far as plot, but the controls seem to be standard fair with other games for the Touch. Not sure how much longer this game will grab me. One big caveat that I hate about this game is that it doesn't use the built-in Oculus audio driver and you have to switch your entire audio setup to output to the Oculus headphones. This should be fixed ASAP with a patch.

SuperHOT: Incredible, fast-action, fast movement gameplay. I literally get tired playing this game and it's so unfairly hard! Nevertheless, it's clearly the best VR game for the Touch that I've played so far.

Ripcoil: Not touching that game. I get motion sick very very quickly moving those hoverboards.

Chronos: I love this game's presentation, art style and incredible controls. However, it doesn't "lead" you as much as the typical game so I got bored of it rather quickly. I want to like the game but also want to enjoy the experience. This game has similar drawbacks to Elite: Dangerous.

EVE Valkyrie: Very irritated that CCP has not fixed the joystick HOTAS problem (where you can't assign multiple joysticks to get throttle, rudder pedals and flight stick working). So uninstalled this game.

Edge of Nowhere: 1st and only game I finished as a full VR experience. It was a good game, full of good adventure. The ending bothered me but the trip was fun!

Elite: Dangerous: The most accurate space simulation with built-in VR support that I've played. The game is incredible with the A-10 Warthog HOTAS setup and some rudder pedals. I would play the crap out of this game if there wasn't such a grind and more intuitive missions. Also the universe is a very empty one. This doesn't really have anything to do with the VR but I wish this company would start making atmospheres and interesting things on planets other than just rocky terrain and a few small bases. This game has so much potential.

Honestly, I don't know if Valkyrie will get much improved using a HOTAS with how arcadey the game is. There's no real throttle control (just brakes and afterburner boost) in the game anyway.

I have the same HOTAS as you do, Elite is definitely awesome with it in VR.

Yeah, I tried previously and could not get it to work properly, it's a real shame.
Yeah I was looking forward to trying it.
As a last ditch effort, assuming you haven't done so already, you can try uninstalling SteamVR. This guy got it to work, though it's been several months since that post.
Hmm, I don't know if I want to keep pursuing it. I appreciate your help! I'm literally like 99% finished with The Witness anyway.

senahorse

Yesterday I setup the rift and touch in another room in the house. This is approximately 10M away from my PC that was running it. In order to do this I used the following:

61UMPCnt2iL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MADOS8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFFL2W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VDVCQ84/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I did have to use a 5V power adapter on the USB cable for it to pickup both sensors plus the rift. After this it worked perfectly with no noticeable lag or dropouts, hope it helps someone :)

If you pre-ordered the Touch controllers you got Dead and Buried, Medium and Sports VR for free.

Mine was free after I activated the Touch controllers. I couldn't download it before without paying.

I spoke with Oculus and they refunded it for me :)

senahorse

Anyone had any issues with a touch controller not detecting your thumb movement? My right one doesn't detect my thumb at all, always thinks it's down. I have tried re-pairing, batteries and cleaning but it still won't work. It was working fine yesterday.

So far Ive bought quite a few VR games, but Im looking for input on anything big ive missed:

Steam:

Accounting
ADR1FT
Budget Cuts (just the demo so far, it seems to need that 3rd camera pretty bad)
Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
The Lab
NewRetroArcade: Neon
Onward
Project CARS
RecRoom
Smash Box Arena (Just the demo so far)
SportsBar VR
Tabletop Simulator
Vanishing Realms (I really need that 3rd camera...)
VR the Diner Duo

Oculus:
Arizona Sunshine
SuperHot VR
Chronos
Dreadhalls
Edge of Nowhere
Dead Secret
I Expect you to Die
Oculus First Contact
Space Pirate Trainer
Kingspray
Medium
Quill
Ripcoil
The Climb
Super Island God (Still working on playing this more, so I can give feedback! Moving makes me dizzy, haha)
Dead and Buried
Toy Box
Nvidia VR Funhouse
Eve: Valkyrie
Bullet Train
The Unspoken
VR Sports Challenge
Lucky's Tale

Lots of free stuff mixed in there, but I wanted to list basically everything I have installed.

Any big things Im missing that would be great to have?

Top Bottom