• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

I'd still say wait it out for now, but if you have enough games you believe will justify the purchase, I will say that both headsets are good. Vive gets you roomscale for cheaper. Rift + Touch gets you better controllers. I have my personal preferences but those won't help you much.

If you want me to test games on either headset, let me know and I'll report back with impressions.

Only just seen your reply, thanks for the offer but I just ordered a Rift with Touch controllers lol. At least now I would have owned and tried both. Looking forward to playing Dirt Rally on my racing sim set up.

Going to a convention in a few weeks where one of the talks will be about how VR can be applied in educational institutes, should be interesting. Looking forward to seeing what they have on show.

Supersampling via the SDK is really easy and has worked in every game I've played so far.

Pretty easy. Install the SDK and you run a little utility where you can set the value.

Also note some games provide supersample options in their game menus.

Thanks for the tips. Going to crank that setting up.

Also, what free games are available for the touch?

jon_dojah

Banned
The VR Sports Challenge devs have unlocked all minigames last night. I've been trying to unlock Brawl-4-All since release because you need to win a game of hockey in the main mode which is actually extremely hard and tiring.

Brawl4All is pretty much like Punch-Out VR and a great workout. If you're a big fan of the PS3 Move game The Fight Lights Out its like the next level of that.

My touch controllers arrived today from Amazon. Do I have this right, will I definitely get Medium for free when I plug the controllers in?

I'm still waiting for my Rift, so can't check myself.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
No, not yet. Monday or Tuesday hopefully, but with work I'm not sure when I'll get around to trying it out. Thanks for the link.

Give Rec Room a go if you can. I'm curious as to how that game works without using roomscale. I don't have enough play space to really try it out without injuring myself.

Give Rec Room a go if you can. I'm curious as to how that game works without using roomscale. I don't have enough play space to really try it out without injuring myself.

I'm interested as well, I played it a lot on the Vive. I haven't read anything about it and assumed they had you turning on the spot with the analogue stick.

Have you tried Theblu with touch? It was always the go to thing to show the Vive to none tech savvy family members because no buttons were needed.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm interested as well, I played it a lot on the Vive. I haven't read anything about it and assumed they had you turning on the spot with the analogue stick.

Have you tried Theblu with touch? It was always the go to thing to show the Vive to none tech savvy family members because no buttons were needed.

I want TheBlu but the price point has stopped me from buying it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've played a bunch of this in a space that probably couldn't be considered room scale (1.5x1.5m). Works just fine.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've played a bunch of this in a space that probably couldn't be considered room scale (1.5x1.5m). Works just fine.

I'm mostly interested in not being able to turn around. My limitation with the Rift is that if I stretch my arms out, I hit my boundary on both sides.

vermadas

After the initial hassle with support, I ended up having to RMA my Rift (due to these issues). I got it back a week ago. Finished SuperHOT VR and am now trying a bunch of the games I picked up during the sale. I also picked up a third sensor after waffling a bit on the decision - I really wanted to limit occlusion issues.

SuperHOT VR is the real deal. It's too bad it's so criminally short. I also wish there was a way to see a replay of you clearing a level somehow like the flatscreen version allows you to. It would probably have to be from a fixed 3rd person perspective though.

Arizona Sunshine (Steam) - Tons of crashing issues. Waiting for a patch.

Space Pirate Trainer - This game is fun for short bursts of action. There's actually quite a bit of depth with the guns having six different firing modes, plus dual wielding vs. shield.

The Lab - The archery game was my favorite. Xortex was really cool too. If you haven't tried this one yet, you really should. They added a snap turn button for Touch users which is handy if you have a front-facing setup.

Vanishing Realms - Not sure about this one yet, though I didn't get very far. I love the amount of interactivity with the objects in the game.

Thumper - Playing this game when I want to be in VR but I don't want to exert myself. It's incredibly intense. The only issue I have with this game in VR is that it highlights some of the Rift's big weaknesses - high black levels and god rays.

Still have to try:

Accounting
Smashbox Arena
Raw Data
Budget Cuts demo

Some guy on the Oculus forum wrote an awesome looking tool. He's currently only giving download links via PM. Check it out here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community...pling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

Highlights:
- Registry tweaks to help with the Inateck/Fresco USB card
- Automatically turn on Supersampling and create specific app profiles
- UI toggle for ASW

He put up a link for anyone to download it directly. I haven't messed with the supersampling profiles yet, but otherwise it seems to have improved the tracking degradation I was having.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of buzz for Eleven: Table Tennis. Anyone try it out yet?

Insomniac pushed a balance update for the Unspoken yesterday. Which is related to another topic I wanted to ask about.

How are people finding the player population in multiplayer focused games? Notably, Unspoken, Dead & Buried, Ripcoil, and cross-platform stuff like Smashbox Arena.

CzarTim

Smashbox is I think my favorite VR game so far. I've always been able to find a match though lately there's always been a couple of bots in each game.

I wasn't able to find a ripcoil game the couple times I try, and it has no bots to practise with.

Enk

makes good threads.
How are people finding the player population in multiplayer focused games? Notably, Unspoken, Dead & Buried, Ripcoil, and cross-platform stuff like Smashbox Arena.

It's been a bit since I last played the other three, but I still play Unspoken on a regular basis. Most of the time I find a match within a minute, so there's still can active community on there. Insomniac has been pretty active in its development and will have an expansion patch coming soon that should keep people playing longer.

My Rift came today and I have played a few hours with the touch. Overall impressions are positive, but not without some big issues.

I like the headset, it's lighter and comfier than the Vive. The visual differences are small imo, more god rays and bigger sweet spot are the standouts. The head strap is so much better than the Vive's though and the built in headphones are better than I expected.

The Touch controllers are good, but I don't think they are hugely better than the Vive's, only slightly. I could happily live with either but I do like having analogue sticks over the track pad.

Now the biggest difference... Tracking. Coming from the Vive, the Rift's Touch tracking is serviceable at best. It really lets the whole experience down. I think I have had more tracking issues in those few hours than my entire time with the Vive, a third sensor is essential imo which makes it more expensive than the Vive, and that's my problem. If I were to recommend either to someone I would still recommend the Vive unless they were strictly playing seated sim games.

My ideal set up would be Rift headset with Vive tracking and either of the controllers.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My Rift came today and I have played a few hours with the touch. Overall impressions are positive, but not without some big issues.

I like the headset, it's lighter and comfier than the Vive. The visual differences are small imo, more god rays and bigger sweet spot are the standouts. The head strap is so much better than the Vive's though and the built in headphones are better than I expected.

The Touch controllers are good, but I don't think they are hugely better than the Vive's, only slightly. I could happily live with either but I do like having analogue sticks over the track pad.

Now the biggest difference... Tracking. Coming from the Vive, the Rift's Touch tracking is serviceable at best. It really lets the whole experience down. I think I have had more tracking issues in those few hours than my entire time with the Vive, a third sensor is essential imo which makes it more expensive than the Vive, and that's my problem. If I were to recommend either to someone I would still recommend the Vive unless they were strictly playing seated sim games.

My ideal set up would be Rift headset with Vive tracking and either of the controllers.

I think I'm done upgrading my Rift. The troubles I've read with roomscale with touch sound awful so I'm not getting a 3rd sensor (plus the Rift has taken up enough port on my mobo). I also stopped buying games on Oculus Home since all my friends are on Steam and some games don't carry over well (SPT score, specifically). I don't notice too many tracking issues with my Rift over the Vive, except when I turn to the side or around. If I'm further it does get worse too. The cable is way too short also. It tugs on my head when I play in the office. I only use it for seated experiences anymore.

For some reason I didn't have any of the issues with tracking like I did last night. Other than turning around.

Just finished Super Hot VR and it really is the real deal. Holy shit that game was good, absolutely done in now after working all day and completing that in one go.

More Superhot would make me very happy!

Been playing Project Cars with the Rift and it's great. Pushing SS up to x2 makes the game look much better, it's actually pretty sharp and the wheel implementation puts Horizon 3 to shame. I would still kill for a Forza VR mode though.

fred

I started a new game of Elite Dangerous from scratch when I got my Rift in October but haven't played it for a few months since getting my Touch controllers, have now started playing it again and it still 'Wows' me every time I put my headset on. I've been dreaming about flying the ships in Elite ever since I played the first game on my 48K Speccy in the mid-80s.

The step down from a fully kitted out Vulture killing machine and 60,000,000-odd credits to a borrowed Sidey and 1000 credits was almost like culture shock lol

Like the play through I left I'm playing the game old-school, it's WAY too easy to earn credits in this version compared to the original game so I'm avoiding the easy ways to make cash mostly, just trading and hauling and having a look at Signal Sources (in the first game you used the Frame Shift Drive to quickly travel to space stations after leaving hyperspace and the game stopped the drive when another ship or an asteroid came near) with the odd visit to a Resource Extraction Site here and there to break things up a bit every now and then.

Have now got 1.1m credits or so and an Adder. It's going to take me ages to be able to afford an Annie but it's going to be so satisfying to buy when I've worked so hard for it! :eek:D

So, third sensor woes with tracking. I think this tool is super helpful. I'm able to narrow down which sensor is on which controller:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

It helped me in figuring out what controllers I was on.

I moved one of my 3.0 sensors to a separate controller and all seems to be smooth again. But that was just some quick testing last night (I'm sick so time in VR is not fun).

Anyway, this can also show what speed each hub is at too.

I had 3 controllers and while I 'thought' all sensors were on a different controller (1 PCIe card, front mounted to "USB connecter" internally, and mobo ports) it was not. In fact 2 USB ports next to each other on my Mobo are not on the same controller. And oddly enough the front mounted I think is on the same controller that another is on. I'll have to disconnect and reconnect a known entity like a Logitech device that gets labeled "Logitech" or w/e to truly see what USB slot goes to what controller.

This is way more than I want to do. It's ridiculous this wasn't found in testing and/or other means of product reliability. I have a Z170-A mobo with enough USB ports to throw a USB orgy and I was still having issues.

vermadas

This is way more than I want to do. It's ridiculous this wasn't found in testing and/or other means of product reliability. I have a Z170-A mobo with enough USB ports to throw a USB orgy and I was still having issues.

It's quite ridiculous. Oculus has even been running some blog posts this week with advice about roomscale sensor setup:

Tips For Setting Up a Killer VR Room
Balancing Bandwidth on USB
Identifying Host Controllers

I also read conflicting information on reddit and other places. Oculus says USB hubs are bad, however, several users say their sensors work great on one. Oculus says USB bandwidth is the main concern with sensors having issues, but I've read several people say it's actually power. Plus, they recommended that Inateck/Fresco PCI-E USB 3.0 card to people who needed more ports, but there are tons of posts around with people having driver related problems with it.

Really hope they ditch constellation tracking for gen2.

I don't think it's constellation tracking directly. I think they underestimated the actual power/bandwidth needed if you have more than 2 sensors. While their posts have been somewhat helpful to the 'masses' there is already more documentation just in reddit posts than listed on their site.

I would be OK with them increasing the price of the cameras if they used some on board calculations before sending it to the PC to lower bandwidth requirements.

I was just so done with tinkering .. and even though it's "experimental" I really feel that the level of tinkering has grown since the DK2 days. And that's saying something!

Kind of like you said, one think works for one, but not for the other. In my case I found all 3 sensors on the same controller even though they were 'separate' according to my setup. I see my USB connection on the motherboard that goes to a front facing external card is also on the same controller as a couple USB ports on the back! Things you just wouldn't think of.

Once I'm well I'll have a better look, just don't feel like diving into VR with a stuffed head and can't breath through my nose, lol.

I think they key takeaways that I've found:

Don't have them all on the same controller.
Limit the amount of light emitting in the area.

Regarding the controller, there's really no true way to find out unless you know your mobo like a best friend, or you grab a tool like I linked above that shows the tree by that level.

AnnTiPa

Since I Expect You To Die doesn't seem to have its own topic, I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know if the game requires you to reach objects that are very close to the ground? Due to my sensor setup I pretty much lose tracking completely around knee level and it starts getting spotty before that. I had to give up on Accounting since the very first thing you had to do was to pick something up from the ground and I'd prefer not to repeat the same thing after paying 25€.

CzarTim

Since I Expect You To Die doesn't seem to have its own topic, I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know if the game requires you to reach objects that are very close to the ground? Due to my sensor setup I pretty much lose tracking completely around knee level and it starts getting spotty before that. I had to give up on Accounting since the very first thing you had to do was to pick something up from the ground and I'd prefer not to repeat the same thing after paying 25€.

The game gives you a telekinesis ability to grab far away items. Had no problem with it.

Rift sensors should have come with wall-mounts included. I have 2 sensors on a long desk about 5 feet apart and an opposing one on a stand about 8 feet away on the other side. The problem with this setup is that when I get close to the rear sensor faced toward it, that sensor's coverage becomes very narrow. I think I read somewhere that these mounts work pretty well so I may have to do that. If you set them up 7 or 8 feet above you, the sensors all have the distance to widen out their coverage. I feel like Oculus' biggest failing right now is their sensor solution; it seems like they expected every game worth playing to be front facing, but that isn't the case at all. They threw together a last minute attempt at room-scale, and while it technically works, it involves a pretty convoluted setup.

jon_dojah

Banned
Nate Micthell just posted on reddit regarding the January "patch" that was suposed to fix roomscale tracking issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...cking_update/dd4uwni/?st=iyl8boqs&sh=47036e2d

natemitchellHead of Rift 24 points an hour ago 
The January Rift update is taking a little longer than we expected in terms of testing. We're working to get it out to everyone as soon as possible. Appreciate everyone's patience. And yes, this means there's very likely two updates in February.

Nate Micthell just posted on reddit regarding the January "patch" that was suposed to fix roomscale tracking issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...cking_update/dd4uwni/?st=iyl8boqs&sh=47036e2d

natemitchellHead of Rift 24 points an hour ago 
The January Rift update is taking a little longer than we expected in terms of testing. We're working to get it out to everyone as soon as possible. Appreciate everyone's patience. And yes, this means there's very likely two updates in February.

I really hope this fixes my tracking issues. I really haven't been able to play anything of substance.

vermadas

Release notes for the 1.11 update that's rolling out.

Features

You can now choose to skip updating the firmware on your controllers when repeating Oculus setup.

Improved visibility of Guardian System boundaries with better hand animations.

Improved instructions for Oculus sensor positioning during setup.

Bug-fixes

The following key user-facing issues have been addressed in the 1.11 release:

Improved experimental roomscale and experimental 360º support.

Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.

Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.

Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.

Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.

Improved Guardian System.

Fixed stability issue with Guardian System boundaries moving when the Rift headset wasn’t in use.

Fixed tracking issue where Touch controllers weren’t detected by Guardian System.

Fixed reliability issue with Guardian System boundaries triggering too soon.

Improved Oculus Rift and Touch setup.

Fixed visibility issues with VR screen for adjusting Rift headset lens position.

Fixed search issue with Oculus Store and Oculus Library in the Oculus software.

There's also an easter egg in Home for the OCD people...
fix the rug!

Features

You can now choose to skip updating the firmware on your controllers when repeating Oculus setup.

Improved visibility of Guardian System boundaries with better hand animations.

Improved instructions for Oculus sensor positioning during setup.

Bug-fixes

The following key user-facing issues have been addressed in the 1.11 release:

Improved experimental roomscale and experimental 360º support.

Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.

Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.

Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.

Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.

Improved Guardian System.

Fixed stability issue with Guardian System boundaries moving when the Rift headset wasn't in use.

Fixed tracking issue where Touch controllers weren't detected by Guardian System.

Fixed reliability issue with Guardian System boundaries triggering too soon.

Improved Oculus Rift and Touch setup.

Fixed visibility issues with VR screen for adjusting Rift headset lens position.

Fixed search issue with Oculus Store and Oculus Library in the Oculus software.

This sounds like this'll hopefully fix my issues. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Yep! Tracking problems solved. I have a lot of catching up to do now.

Top Bottom